PDA

View Full Version : So I was reading into the Denver fire department application process...

Think
Sat Sep 15th, 2012, 11:14 PM
And I found this:

• MAJOR TRAFFIC VIOLATIONS/INFRACTONS WITHIN THE PAST 7
YEARS: Any individual who has been convicted of, pled guilty or no contest to, or
received a deferred judgment/sentence within the past 84 months (7 years), for any of
the following major traffic violations/ infractions will be disqualified :

Leaving the scene of an accident

Eluding or attempting to elude a peace officer

Engaging in a speed contest

Reckless driving

Careless driving resulting in serious bodily injury or death

I rear ended a buddy of mine a couple years ago (summer of 2010) with my then girlfriend on the back after some very bizarre circumstances (long story short, his girlfriend fell off the back of his bike and I was looking back to see if she was getting up and my buddy had already stopped in front of me so I ended up rear ending him at about 20-30 mph... retarded I know). Nothing really crazy or anything, but my then girlfriend ended up getting a broken wrist. I ended up getting a 3 point ticket (after going to court) and I can't remember if it ended up being a careless or not, but bodily injury was definitely on the ticket. My driving record, and record in general is flawless other than that.

I'm about to deploy and was thinking of using my GI Bill to get some of the training I might need to eventually join the fire department once I get back, but after reading that I think I might be SOL. Anyone have any experience with this?

Clovis
Sat Sep 15th, 2012, 11:44 PM
It would have to be a careless driving conviction. You can originally be charged with careless and plead to something else and be OK.

Careless is a 4 point btw, so if you got 3 after going to court, I think you're fine.

But even so, the key word being serious bodily injury or death.

Ezzzzy1
Sun Sep 16th, 2012, 12:03 AM
You are good man. Key words: "convicted of, pled guilty or no contest to" and "or
received a deferred judgment/sentence". You did not of those, you took a "plea".

Big differences as far as the courts intent goes. People make mistakes and have accidents, it is not the intent of the courts to scar someone.

The reason things were recorded the way they were was to make a record of it. Had it been your second, or third im sure the court would want to know.

Think
Sun Sep 16th, 2012, 09:32 AM
Also, I know there is a lower age limit of 18, can you be too old? I'll probably be 27 by the time I apply if I end up applying. I think it's doubtful, but I didn't see anything on there saying otherwise, but I know some departments elsewhere have age restrictions like that.

Jmetz
Sun Sep 16th, 2012, 09:43 AM
27? You'll practically be a grandpa!

Think
Sun Sep 16th, 2012, 10:01 AM
27? You'll practically be a grandpa!
I know! I know the military has a bunch of age restrictions on certain MOS's so I don't know if the fire department works the same way.

modette99
Sun Sep 16th, 2012, 10:11 AM
Also, I know there is a lower age limit of 18, can you be too old? I'll probably be 27 by the time I apply if I end up applying. I think it's doubtful, but I didn't see anything on there saying otherwise, but I know some departments elsewhere have age restrictions like that.

Pull your driving record and see what comes up.

Wrider
Sun Sep 16th, 2012, 10:27 AM
Like Modette said, pull your driving record.

As for age restrictions, I don't know Denver, but the Springs is 40 as a rookie. (And I know a guy who made it on at 40.)

3point5
Sun Sep 16th, 2012, 10:34 AM
I, ususally, have a honesty policy and times when I've screwed up/forked something up at work, I tell my boss as soon as possible so it can be addressed. In your case I would write a 1/2 page statement and 1/2 page argument why it doesnt apply to your application but you wanted to tell your reviewers ahead of time.

If they kick you out for telling them ahead of time then you just saved yourself the time and pain of getting through the application/training/selection process just to have that surface and eventually get kicked out. Flip side of the coin, you declare the accident/mid-hap, you make it through the entire process, it surfaces and you are in the clear because you were upfront & honest with it before you applied.

Sarge
Sun Sep 16th, 2012, 10:55 AM
The same is true of just about everything these days, even the Military. I'm actually a recruiter now and there are very specific regulations on how to handle these things. In cases of where disqualification is a maybe (waiverable, etc) if the applicant is up front and honest about it then policy is to let it be. On the other hand, if it comes up six months later in Basic Training or something, you're going home. Be honest about it, they're more concerned with your character than they are with your record. Bad things happen to good people all the time, and it's how you deal with those consequences that truly shows what kind of person you are.

longrider
Sun Sep 16th, 2012, 08:17 PM
Regarding the age, a friend of mine just got on with Aurora at 30. I really cant see age being an issue until 35 or 40. Regarding your past, I am in agreement with everybody here, tell them about it up front. There is a very good chance they will let it slide but if wait until they find out you are done

Aaron
Mon Sep 17th, 2012, 01:19 AM
There are 3 different statutes for Careless Driving. A base Careless Driving charge is our "catch-all," and it carries 4 points. We write it on a daily basis, and everyone and their brother has probably gotten a careless driving ticket. Penalty wise, it's equivalent to speeding 10-19 over. Not a big deal at all.

Then there is Careless Driving Causing Bodily Injury, and Careless Driving Causing Death. Oddly, both of these are the same as far as level of the crime (Both Class 1 Misd Traffic, also both 4 points). This allows the DA room to be flexible on punishment for cases whose circumstancves aggravate the offense, or make the offense less serious. Yours, if it happened the way you say it did, would obviously be the latter.

Unfortunately, if the DFD is black and white about the charge, you could be disqualified regardless of the circumstances. But you could ask for a re-evaluation based upon a few key things. There is no such charge as Careless Driving Causing Serious Bodily Injury, and you clearly didn't cause death. It's either BI or Death. That being said, a broken bone qualifies as SBI in Colorado, so you technically did cause SBI as a result of Careless Driving (Although there is no charge for this). I'm guessing you got Careless Causing BI. I don't think this is a big deal personally, it is definitely circumstance based. I'd say apply anyway, and if you get disqualified appeal it.

Most cities require your application to pass a black and white test from Civil Service prior to getting forwarded to the specific department. I wouldn't be surprised if you have to petition for a re-evaluation to get it through Civil Service, but it then gets passed on to the Fire Department and they never brink up the charge. What I'm trying to say is it won't hurt to apply, and I don't think it will be a disqualifier if you're given the chance to explain.

I got a ticket for Speed Contest (Full 12 points, suspended license, etc) when I was 17 or 18, and was hired as a Police Officer at age 23. It depends on how you explain things, and how the city does things.

Chris
Thu Sep 20th, 2012, 02:15 PM
sounds like they are trying to weed out the retards that would do something stupid like ride a motorcycle with a passenger without looking forward....