PDA

View Full Version : Collection Agency?

kingtut
Fri Sep 21st, 2012, 04:43 PM
So...similar story as here: http://www.cosportbikeclub.org/forums/showthread.php?t=27577&highlight=collection+agency

Tenant broke lease and didn't pay rent for the last month she occupied the property. Was able to serve her and take her to court. She showed up and accepted her liabilities with no fight. The court had us both sign something, saying that she would pay by the 10th of the following month.

Fast forward to the 10th and of course, no payment. Since then, she's supposedly moved to Washington and left no forwarding address. As such, the court won't do anything else besides putting a judgement on file (and hopefully dinging her credit).

Although the money she owes us (about $1200) would be nice, I'd get more satisfaction from making her life hell, and having her forced to pay. I was hoping the court judgement would allow me to garnish her wages. But without an address, they won't do anything. I'm not even sure where she works...though I have some educated guesses. Do I have any options at this point? Will a Collection Agent be able to find her? From my research, it seems that collection agencies trump courts in all cases. They simply take 20% or so of the money due. I would be more than happy to give them the appropriate cut of the moolah.

Anyone know a collection agent? (This all started July of this year).

t_jolt
Fri Sep 21st, 2012, 04:45 PM
do you have any other info? social, etc?

kingtut
Fri Sep 21st, 2012, 04:48 PM
do you have any other info? social, etc?

Facebook, check.
Linkedin, check.
Previous (possibly current) employer/s, check.

SS #, :dunno:

#1Townie
Fri Sep 21st, 2012, 05:23 PM
Hahaha get her!!

How much time and money are you willing to spend to get 1200the bucks back?

#1Townie
Fri Sep 21st, 2012, 05:26 PM
Oh and when he said social he ment her ss# not her network. Lol

kingtut
Fri Sep 21st, 2012, 05:30 PM
Hahaha get her!!

How much time and money are you willing to spend to get 1200the bucks back?

Seriously? Well, this ordeal has cost me nearly $3k, not counting my own time (which I also value at a $ amount). So...I don't have much money to throw at her. If I could guarantee she'd pay up, I'd share the spoils. Not sure how this all works...

Oh and when he said social he ment her ss# not her network. Lol

Whoops, ha ha....shows you how much I know.

modette99
Fri Sep 21st, 2012, 07:19 PM
Well the collection guy I meet with the one time at the father in-laws business he said we just needed to fill out as much information as we had on someone for them...more info makes their job easier but they can simply look it up.

You should have her name, last previous address...that is all you need to turn over to collections. Any old cellphone number!!! You can also provide her FB site...maybe friend one of her friends and ask where so and so has moved as your trying to pay her deposit back...LOL

In the storage business we always copied peoples drivers license too, and we always tried to get peoples SSN, which is easier then you would think. Just include a spot on your rental agreement you be surprised. Also try and get emergency contact info...you know always good to have a mother, father, sister, brother or even best friend down...you play it off as a just in case but in reality its for when you need to find them to PAY UP. A lot of calls I made where to peoples emergency contacts...typically a parent...and when they ask why your looking and you say "they owe us $1,000" its amazing how their claim of "I don't know that person" turns to that person coming in to PAY.

~Barn~
Fri Sep 21st, 2012, 08:22 PM
Drag. We just had the people next to us move out, and they left a dresser and a book cabinet outside the complex. Nothing compared to this of course, but it's a dick move and it never ceases to amaze me. :roll:

I would start posting on her local Craigslist, linking to her info, calling her out in the "rentals" and "real estate" forums. Then chalk it up... =\

kingtut
Fri Sep 21st, 2012, 08:37 PM
You should have her name, last previous address...that is all you need to turn over to collections. Any old cellphone number!!!

In the storage business we always copied peoples drivers license too, and we always tried to get peoples SSN, which is easier then you would think.

Yup, copy of driver's license and SS # are now part of the rental app. Live and learn... I do have random info like cell phone etc. My thought was a collection agent could connect the dots and track her down.

Drag. We just had the people next to us move out, and they left a dresser and a book cabinet outside the complex. Nothing compared to this of course, but it's a dick move and it never ceases to amaze me. :roll:

I would start posting on her local Craigslist, linking to her info, calling her out in the "rentals" and "real estate" forums. Then chalk it up... =\

Ha ha, yeah- it amazes me how inconsiderate and nasty people are...or should I say, can be.:puke:

I think she's shacking up with her grandma (in WA), mooching what money gram gram has left.

#1Townie
Sat Sep 22nd, 2012, 01:18 AM
Yeah you may want to cut your losses. Skip tracing and other court processes can get expensive quick. Also being she skipped states on you some court rulings may not be good in another state. This when the lawyer comes in. You will also need a lawyer preferably some that works with collection style lawsuits. You have to make sure that any form of collection practice that is now performed under the guidelines of whatever state she now lives in.

So first step higher skip tracer to find her... or do it yourself. Things that make skip tracing easy is ss# and a idea of relatives. Mom dad... brother sisters. now the face book will not help you. You by federal law CAN NOT use social media networks to gain info for collections. Cant do it. Dont do it. You could find yourself in a counter lawsuit.

Also anyone you hire is working for you.. duh right? Well with comes responsibility.

Lets say you hire jebs collections. Jebs violates the fair debt collection act. Sure jebs is going to get in trouble but you are not only going to get sued but that debt she owes you is going to be cleared and you will end up owing her money.

So like i said to you before.. is it really worth it?

kingtut
Sat Sep 22nd, 2012, 08:32 AM
Yikes- figures there'd be laws out there to protect 'them', and not me. Thanks for the info.

Jmetz
Sat Sep 22nd, 2012, 08:49 AM
This is why I'm scared to rent my house. You might be able to sell the judgement to a collection agency and recoup a little money.

modette99
Sat Sep 22nd, 2012, 08:50 AM
#1Townie - That is a little extreme you will not be sued by a girl out of state, will cost her $$$$ and she obviously doe snot have money to begin with. Plus how a debt collector acts on a debt they buy is in reality has nothing to do with you. You as the company have no liability to how a debt collector practices.

Plus what expense do you have letting a debt collector take the claim over? How ours worked is we could say that no settlement and they go for the $1,000 (lets say) then minus their cut and we get whats left. Or we could say they were allowed to settle and we take whatever (this is the option we used).

Of course there are hundreds of debt collection agencies. OP needs to cal a few and talk with them.

There was no fee for skip trace, no fee for anything the debt collection agency did whatever they did to find people and bug them. Heck we reported a guy owing us for $10 out of shits and giggles because he was an ASS. Also at least in MI we did not need a court judgement...it was us just filling out a form and handing it to the debt collectors....LOL I would think a Judgement for a high dollar like the OP has would be easy for a debt collector to retrieve by bugging the person.

The main thing, the debt collection for us dinged the persons credit history with all three credit agencies...LOL However most low income people don't care, but you be amazed when they come into a position in life and out of the blue they mail you a check so they can buy THAT house...it happens.

modette99
Sat Sep 22nd, 2012, 08:54 AM
This is why I'm scared to rent my house. You might be able to sell the judgement to a collection agency and recoup a little money.

Yep, my father in-law got out of the rental house business. To many scum, at least in MI they would file bankruptcy and get to live a year or more free as you are not allowed to kick them out. Last house the father in-law had the guy take the sinks and everything (this was a renter previously that been living there for 5-8 years paying on time)...LOL Of course my father in-law still rents business property but they tend to pay....but they too can be asses when they need evicted. One was a gas station and the Arab renters put trash into the 30,000 gallon underground gas tanks. It took the father in-law $100,000 to fix up that place.

kingtut
Sat Sep 22nd, 2012, 09:24 AM

You just have to emotionally disconnect yourself from it. Which can be hard to do. Also, screening is crucial. Though we did everything possible (except for the SS#) and still got burned.

How ours worked is we could say that no settlement and they go for the $1,000 (lets say) then minus their cut and we get whats left. Or we could say they were allowed to settle and we take whatever (this is the option we used).

Of course there are hundreds of debt collection agencies. OP needs to cal a few and talk with them.

The main thing, the debt collection for us dinged the persons credit history with all three credit agencies...LOL

This is what I was thinking-- and I absolutely plan on getting in touch with some collection agencies. Just wanted to check here first...

#1Townie
Sat Sep 22nd, 2012, 09:51 AM
#1Townie - That is a little extreme you will not be sued by a girl out of state, will cost her $$$$ and she obviously doe snot have money to begin with. Plus how a debt collector acts on a debt they buy is in reality has nothing to do with you. You as the company have no liability to how a debt collector practices.

Plus what expense do you have letting a debt collector take the claim over? How ours worked is we could say that no settlement and they go for the $1,000 (lets say) then minus their cut and we get whats left. Or we could say they were allowed to settle and we take whatever (this is the option we used).

There was no fee for skip trace, no fee for anything the debt collection agency did whatever they did to find people and bug them. Heck we reported a guy owing us for $10 out of shits and giggles because he was an ASS. Also at least in MI we did not need a court judgement...it was us just filling out a form and handing it to the debt collectors....LOL I would think a Judgement for a high dollar like the OP has would be easy for a debt collector to retrieve by bugging the person.

The main thing, the debt collection for us dinged the persons credit history with all three credit agencies...LOL However most low income people don't care, but you be amazed when they come into a position in life and out of the blue they mail you a check so they can buy THAT house...it happens.

I am truly not sure how explaining the law is a far stretch.

Btw tour eords... bug them? You mean harass them?

Guys if these people fuck you could be on the hook for a small fortune. Collections is not a joke and shouldnt be played with.

Lawyer? Everyones a fucking lawyer now days. All the person needs to do is know soneone who knows someone.

Look man my point is these laws are very firm. There is no slap on the wrist for violations. The reason you never hear about the big banks in trouble is they throw a ton of money at the debtor to go away.

If you don't know the laws you dont know if you are hiring a ligit company. If you dont hire a ligit company they can fuck you.. fast.

Its all written in the fdca.

koop
Sat Sep 22nd, 2012, 12:18 PM
FDCPA doesn't apply to an original creditor.

#1Townie
Sat Sep 22nd, 2012, 04:45 PM
Think so? So you owe ENT some cash.. they have the right to harass you as they seem fit to collect your debt? They can threaten you and family memebers? They can call your boss amd tell them they think you are on drugs because you are not paying your bills?

Some of that is written to lead people to think it doesnt apply to them but it does. The moment you are collecting you need to follow these laws. Bad things come from ignorance. Not saying anyone is dumb but if you find yourself in court the defense of i didnt know wont work.

koop
Sat Sep 22nd, 2012, 05:31 PM
I've filed probably 75 FDCPA cases; tried 4 in federal court; have the largest FDCPA verdict in Colorado and have taught an FDCPA CLE to collection lawyers. Yeah, I think so.

Ezzzzy1
Sat Sep 22nd, 2012, 05:47 PM
I owe ya a favor Tut.... Should I pay her a visit? :devil2:

#1Townie
Sat Sep 22nd, 2012, 05:47 PM
K. Fine you got the big dick.

derekm
Sat Sep 22nd, 2012, 06:36 PM
1st/last mo + deposit

kingtut
Sat Sep 22nd, 2012, 06:41 PM
they can fuck you.. fast.

Hey...hey, what kind of thread is this!:lol:

Nice! Yes please. I don't hit girls, but I can't be held responsible if someone else were to do it (on my behalf).

modette99
Sun Sep 23rd, 2012, 05:24 PM

No but he has the experience if all true and should know.

So Townie what about everyone online thinking they know.

Ghosty
Sun Sep 23rd, 2012, 10:24 PM
My opinion is to waste the time, but not too much money, to go after her tooth & nail! Fucking deadbeats, make sure they know they can't just float through life all EZ-mode and get away with shit, while other people work hard. It's worth your satisfaction in the end, I'm sure, when they track her down, fuck her credit, etc.

#1Townie
Mon Sep 24th, 2012, 09:26 AM
No but he has the experience if all true and should know.

So Townie what about everyone online thinking they know.

Not sure what hos creds are. What i know i was trained to know. It might be wrong but the lawyer that taught the class i had to take for a specific cert has a different take on it. I guess i would have listened to the lawyer guy above if he had given some cases to go with his credentials.

Ghosty
Mon Sep 24th, 2012, 10:32 AM
1st/last mo + deposit
Yep, plus credit check, employer verification, background check, 2-4mos paystubs, and three verifiable personal references, preferably professional references. Do everything you can to weed out the dipshits, and then YOU WILL STILL end up with a ton of dipshits who somehow seem legit, then will fuck up your house regardless. So a lot of it is how they carry themselves when you meet them mixed with pure luck.

SOoooo, take 1st/last months rent, PLUS A BIG ASS deposit, incl. a NON-REFUNDABLE CLEANING/REPAINT deposit, on top of the regular one. Take a 100 pics of every corner of the house before they move in, incl. the cabinets, carpet, ceiling, garage, fence, etc.

Even if you do ALL THIS, in any deposit dispute where they scream for their money when they move out, the government/mediator will almost always award the renter at least half their deposit back (in Colorado at least), unless you have proof they practically wrecked the house. Just factor that into your rent price and deposit level, so no surprises when you still have to give the deposit back.

Just some friendly advice from 25+ years of rental experience, you CANNOT BE "the nice guy", or you will get dicked. You cannot do anything word-of-mouth, no matter how nice they "seem". My folks have been royally screwed by apple-pie church-going harmless country folks who seemed legit.

modette99
Mon Sep 24th, 2012, 10:34 AM
Not sure what hos creds are. What i know i was trained to know. It might be wrong but the lawyer that taught the class i had to take for a specific cert has a different take on it. I guess i would have listened to the lawyer guy above if he had given some cases to go with his credentials.

Yeah and I stated what I know from running a business and talking with a Collection Agency Owner. I did say it was MI, so CO might be different. Of course this was Flint, and hate to say it lower income tend not to know their rights.

Then again I also have a not so legal way that worked out great. They took 40% but they delivered by meeting the guy out hunting and demanded the money. Never was mentioned what was done to the guy but he paid up...LOL So yes strong arming people still is alive today if you know the right people. Is it legal, nope, but why feel bad when someone is trying to rob you!!!

#1Townie
Mon Sep 24th, 2012, 10:47 AM
Hahaha okay capone.

kingtut
Mon Sep 24th, 2012, 06:54 PM
Yep, plus credit check, employer verification, background check, 2-4mos paystubs, and three verifiable personal references, preferably professional references. Do everything you can to weed out the dipshits, and then YOU WILL STILL end up with a ton of dipshits who somehow seem legit, then will fuck up your house regardless. So a lot of it is how they carry themselves when you meet them mixed with pure luck.

SOoooo, take 1st/last months rent, PLUS A BIG ASS deposit, incl. a NON-REFUNDABLE CLEANING/REPAINT deposit, on top of the regular one. Take a 100 pics of every corner of the house before they move in, incl. the cabinets, carpet, ceiling, garage, fence, etc..

You speaketh the truth! Did all of the checks you listed (except for last month's rent-- just first month's and deposit). Deposit is a month's rent, so all three would be a small fortune for most.

Darth Do'Urden
Mon Sep 24th, 2012, 07:38 PM
After reading some of this thread and what landlords typically have to go through...wow.

I'm renting again for the first time in a LONG time, and I must say that so far it pays to be a good tenant. Our landlady agreed to not raise our rent (original lease was up) because she's been so pleased with us as renters.

Not enough people treat their own belongings with enough care and respect, let alone that which is NOT theirs.

Ghosty
Mon Sep 24th, 2012, 08:54 PM
If you are good tenant, then you are a RARE EXCEPTION, and props to you. I'm the same way, I treat other people's shit with respect when I borrow things, or back when I rented. Unfortunately most people are really complacent about respecting other people's property. :(

kingtut
Wed Sep 26th, 2012, 04:53 PM
Not enough people treat their own belongings with enough care and respect, let alone that which is NOT theirs.

If you are good tenant, then you are a RARE EXCEPTION, and props to you. I'm the same way, I treat other people's shit with respect when I borrow things, or back when I rented. Unfortunately most people are really complacent about respecting other people's property. :(

I know, right!? Not sure wtf happened to people?? Agree though, sounds like Darth is one of the [minority] good ones. I always return things in better condition than the day I got them. I used to hand deliver the rent payment to my landlord. I used to bust my azz, cleaning past rentals up and down, so I could get 100% of my deposit back.

No wonder I'm so jaded against used cars. I always get dicked, ha ha.

TinkerinWstuff
Wed Sep 26th, 2012, 05:21 PM
a whole lot a cock talk in this thread

mdub
Wed Sep 26th, 2012, 05:45 PM

make her pay-up pimp....

http://i625.photobucket.com/albums/tt336/rouillardranch/pesci.jpg

mdub
Wed Sep 26th, 2012, 05:47 PM

thats because collection agencies are a bunch of cock suckers...

#1Townie
Wed Sep 26th, 2012, 06:13 PM

Im here for the gang bang......

TinkerinWstuff
Wed Sep 26th, 2012, 06:14 PM
hrm, thought they were commonly referred to as "blood suckers"?

I want my rental unit sold soooo bad. renters have been a little bit of a headache but it's been far more difficult that the property is too far away to manage on my own.

Best of luck collecting. I understand your pain. probably be worth the $1200 just to have someone bloody her lazy, free loading, non bill paying mouth.

#1Townie
Wed Sep 26th, 2012, 07:09 PM
No blood suckers are lawyers.

mdub
Wed Sep 26th, 2012, 07:14 PM
Im here for the gang bang......

eewww....

modette99
Thu Sep 27th, 2012, 11:02 AM

Yep that is rare, I went out of my way in one apartment I lived in. Cleaned the place from head to toe, patched all picture frame holes...went way out of my way to make that place shine. And guess what 2 months later we get a letter saying they are keeping out deposit. I was pissed. Main thing they mentioned carpet...after reviewing the MI laws on rentals I find that they needed to replace the carpet anyways do to a law saying it had to be replaced every other tenant...we were the 3rd tenant as told to use and said the carpet was fine with US. I also quoted other laws they broke, like no walking through with us to do the inspection, and not getting back to us in the amount of time by law. I got a nice letter back from corporate saying sorry there was an error and here is your check...LOL So you as a tenant always need to know your rights...too many places out there trying to keep deposits from those that don't know better.

But it is rare for a tenant to man up and fix something the cause. This is nothing new, its always been the case from the one story I been told by my parents.

They rented a trailer in TX while their house was being built. Our dog then a puppy decided to go nuts when left home and shredded the carpet from wall to wall. My parents went out and bought new carpet, nicer stuff then what was in it. From what my father says the landlord was shocked that in their 30 year or so being a landlord no tenant has ever done that...and the landlord was impressed that it was high end stuff. It's called owning up to the damage you cause...This was in 1980...I don't think bad renters have got worst its just more of them.

Watch any of the typical daytime court shows its typically about rent...LOL