PDA

View Full Version : Resigning from a company??

grim
Sun Sep 23rd, 2012, 12:58 PM
So after working for my company for 5 years i was offered the opportunity to work for my competitor which is an offer I can't refuse it's all around better for me and my family. I have never left a job I did time served with the military but it didn't require a notice of 2 weeks. I will be putting in my 2 weeks tomorrow and am not sure what the best way is to go about it. Any thoughts, advice, suggestions?

madvlad
Sun Sep 23rd, 2012, 01:16 PM
Simply tell them you have a better offer that fit better with your personal life (don't mention from who or what parameters unless they counter offer with more $$$)

Sarge
Sun Sep 23rd, 2012, 01:56 PM
Yeah, the important thing is just how you handle the transition. Obviously your current employers were worth working for for the last 5 years or you probably wouldn't have stayed, but just as they are concerned with themselves and their bottom line, you need to be concerned with yourself and the needs of your family. On that note, just don't burn any bridges. Give them the two week notice, and continue working there as you always have until that last day, and whatever you do don't burn any bridges. Just like the employer reserves the right to let you go for just about anything (lay off, firing, etc) you have the right to choose to no longer work there as well. The whole point of the two week notice is to give them reasonable time to make any adjustments to schedules or personnel they might require in your permanement absence, and is in no way a negative thing. I do recommend you don't go bragging about the new offer or even mentioning the new employer, etc. Even if you have a good relationship with your boss/HR director it could still backfire. If they say anything, just tell them you received an offer of employment elsewhere that you believe in a better fit for you and your family, and if they're interested in negotiating your current employment/contract they will let you know, another important part of the two week notice.

Chief Stinky
Sun Sep 23rd, 2012, 02:01 PM
Sarge had good advice, take the high road, and leave on a good note. Best of luck in the transition.

The GECCO
Sun Sep 23rd, 2012, 02:25 PM
All good advice, but I would add this - if they ask if you are going to work for a competitor, tell the truth and be prepared that they may walk you out the door immediately. It's nothing personal (in most cases) just a fact of business life. It may seem messed up and rude, just take it in stride and it still can be handled professionally and without burning a bridge.

tecknojoe
Sun Sep 23rd, 2012, 02:38 PM
Also, did u sign a non-compete?

Vance
Sun Sep 23rd, 2012, 03:06 PM
Also remember, while not burning bridges, you by no means are obligated to tell them you're going to work for a competitor, or who who you're going to work for at all.

grim
Sun Sep 23rd, 2012, 03:37 PM
Great advice, I have the fullest intention of leaving on good terms, I did not sign a no compet when I started I was in the floor and was promoted along the years. I do not think it would be the best idea to tell them where I am going to work and as far as I know I'm not required to tell them.

asp_125
Sun Sep 23rd, 2012, 04:37 PM
Don't burn your bridges, be honest without divulging specifics like pay. Even amongst competitors there is enough talk going around to know who left on good terms or who pissed off their bosses and quit. Think about how your new boss would react if he / she heard news over the grapevine about your present job.

JonnyD
Sun Sep 23rd, 2012, 04:41 PM
The last time I jumped jobs I wasn't even looking. A friend told me about it and I applied. I was pretty close with my bosses, and told them that I received an offer I couldn't refuse. Working contract for the gov't I was sure they couldn't match or exceed it. Worked my last two weeks and still stop by now and again to say hey to the gang.

The time before that - almost the same story. I wasn't out looking but applied due to a friend recommending me. Turned in my two weeks, which was a talk with my boss saying that I have received an offer elsewhere. They did ask if it was a competitor and while I didn't have to say anything, it wasn't so I told them where I was going. Family business can be tough sometimes, but when you receive an offer that's good for a couple years and you're watching the numbers consistently drop you gotta do what you gotta do.

Just like others have said, be as kind and professional as you can. In any industry word can get around and you don't want to burn any bridges. Make sure that you have a signed offer in hand before you turn in your two weeks!

Jmetz
Sun Sep 23rd, 2012, 04:43 PM
This is usually the way I resign and have had good results.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3eGJOqMHsDI&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Matrix
Sun Sep 23rd, 2012, 04:52 PM
Not directly related, but tell your new job you need three weeks with your previous employer ,and tell your old job two weeks. Then take a week off (or at least a few days) to get your head right for the new gig.

modette99
Sun Sep 23rd, 2012, 05:14 PM
Simply tell them you have a better offer that fit better with your personal life (don't mention from who or what parameters unless they counter offer with more $$$)

Yep, My best friends wife got a job in Denver about same way they were moving out here in 2007. However as soon as she told her current employer they countered offered, upped her pay by $10,000, and said although they don't have a database admin out here at their Denver location they would make room for her...they also paid to move them...LOL So she went back and told the new people sorry but they did this...and they said "we can not pay that much" so she said sorry I wills tick with the old company then.

So sometimes when you tell your old place, they might counter offer if they like you.

Sarge
Sun Sep 23rd, 2012, 05:29 PM

This. :lol:

madvlad
Sun Sep 23rd, 2012, 05:58 PM

Pure win!

Yep, My best friends wife got a job in Denver about same way they were moving out here in 2007. However as soon as she told her current employer they countered offered, upped her pay by $10,000, and said although they don't have a database admin out here at their Denver location they would make room for her...they also paid to move them...LOL So she went back and told the new people sorry but they did this...and they said "we can not pay that much" so she said sorry I wills tick with the old company then.

So sometimes when you tell your old place, they might counter offer if they like you.

Yep, just happened to my sister at her current job. She had a killer offer at Chase and as soon as her current boss heard that she was leaving, he gave her $12,000 + bonuses over what Chase did. Played out well, she deserves it anyways as she did ridiculous amounts of work for them for shit pay for 3 yrs.

mdub
Sun Sep 23rd, 2012, 06:41 PM

One of the beat clips from 1/2 Baked.

Don't go out like that.

grim
Sun Sep 23rd, 2012, 07:12 PM
I don't think that they will counter offer and even if they do I will respectfully decline, having the opportunity to no longer work in the environment I work in is ideal. I wish to go on good terms and would like to think my boss would be respectfull, injust was not sure how to handle if he asks where I am going or how to approach the topic.

madvlad
Sun Sep 23rd, 2012, 07:14 PM
Word man, best of luck at the new place.

FZRguy
Sun Sep 23rd, 2012, 09:23 PM
Just do this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7M1xDuKETLM (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7M1xDuKETLM)

grim
Sun Sep 23rd, 2012, 09:33 PM
Just do this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7M1xDuKETLM (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7M1xDuKETLM)

:lol:

Captain Obvious
Sun Sep 23rd, 2012, 10:10 PM
Submit in writing to boss. Keep it simple and don't overstate the why, the new business or new salary. 3 sentences, indicating intention to resign adn intent to work to final date you select.

If they want to counter offer, they will do it.

Unless you signed a non-compete, you don't have to indicate where you are going.

Dietrich_R1
Mon Sep 24th, 2012, 06:01 AM
Send an e-mail/meet with to appropriate persons & keep on DOWN-LOW, till they have had opportunity to discuss/counter-offer, etc. Let all the other "minions" find out through the grape-vine.

Basically, don't make a big deal about it w/ them.

salsashark
Mon Sep 24th, 2012, 06:46 AM
The resignation letter I submitted earlier this month...

Dear Appropriate Boss(es),

Please accept this message as my formal notification that I am leaving Company A as of September 28, 2012.

I have decided to pursue another opportunity within the ______________ field and will be relocating to Maryland the first week of October.

Thank you for the opportunities you have provided, and if I can be of assistance during the final month of my employment, please let me know.

Sincerely,
Me

easy peasy...

Although my bosses know exactly where I'm going and what I'm doing. Also, that I'm going to work for a competitor, I wasn't walked out the door. Hell, they even paid for one last business trip (which I used to not only work, but find a place to live). I've been working on transition plans since then.

Nooch
Mon Sep 24th, 2012, 09:48 AM
Great advice, I have the fullest intention of leaving on good terms, I did not sign a no compet when I started I was in the floor and was promoted along the years. I do not think it would be the best idea to tell them where I am going to work and as far as I know I'm not required to tell them.

If your industry is anywhere near as cutthroat as mine, they will probably find out soon enough anyway. Eventually, they will probably find out that you are working for a competitor but no need to tell them on the way out the door. But the most important thing is to leave on good terms and not get listed as non-rehirable. Ya never know when you might need the fallback. In my experience, it is easy to leave on good terms. Give your notice, see it through and don't develop short-timers during your last couple weeks.

bulldog
Mon Sep 24th, 2012, 09:52 AM
Did anyone mention to leave on good terms! :lol:

Only thing I would add, which someone else did, is be ready to have them walk you out right then. So before you meet with them get everything off your PC and even desk that you may want. I've seen people put in two week notice and were not even allowed to go back to their desk; shipped them their stuff!

modette99
Mon Sep 24th, 2012, 10:25 AM
I think my best friend pulled off the best quit. He was working for some startup in the Bay Area, maybe 6 months or so. Said the travelling stunk but pay was good. He went in one day and told the owner "I give my 2 week notice" (no job lined up), he then proceeded with "so lets talk about severance package". The owner actually gave him 3 months full pay...LOL A 3 month fucking vacation.

Unbelievable....

modette99
Mon Sep 24th, 2012, 10:29 AM
Did anyone mention to leave on good terms! :lol:

Only thing I would add, which someone else did, is be ready to have them walk you out right then. So before you meet with them get everything off your PC and even desk that you may want. I've seen people put in two week notice and were not even allowed to go back to their desk; shipped them their stuff!

That is the type of company you don't even want to work for. You give them the respect of giving notice and they treat you like a thief.

I go one step further and say take your personnel stuff home days before you give notice. Like radios or what have you. Clean up your emails, save any personnel ones if you can. That way you don't need to go back to your desk.

bulldog
Mon Sep 24th, 2012, 10:34 AM
That is the type of company you don't even want to work for. You give them the respect of giving notice and they treat you like a thief.

I go one step further and say take your personnel stuff home days before you give notice. Like radios or what have you. Clean up your emails, save any personnel ones if you can. That way you don't need to go back to your desk. True, but most companies nowadays don't care about loyal employees. It is all about them and money. Most fear you will go back and start deleting files, taking clients, sabatoge, etc.

Doesn't seem like employeers are like the old days where they cared you served them for years. Hell I was laid off 3 months before I got vested in a company; which saved them thousands of profit sharing. I busted my ass for that company too and developed a entire new department. Found out they replacedm me with someone for half the pay because I had documented exactly how to do the job.

grim
Mon Sep 24th, 2012, 10:59 AM
I am driving back from pueblo (buisness trip) now I plan to see my boss when I get back, and am thinking it may be beneficial to leave the "where I am going" open and if he asks just be honest and tell him. My new boss told me if I get walked out come in the next day to my new family and start working. Did I mention this new place is amazing? :D

BushyAR15
Mon Sep 24th, 2012, 11:04 AM
Lets of good responses; NEVER burn any bridges. You never know when you'll run into those people again. They may work for a different company you want to work for in the future.

Secondly, don't make it all about the money. While I understand for most of us, myself included thats a huge factor. Make it also about opportunity and growth...

Remember in your resignation letter to thank people you worked with and those you worked for....

Above all else be professional.

Slo
Mon Sep 24th, 2012, 11:46 AM
I turned in recently at my previous job something along the lines of:

To whom it may concern,

I have had such a great experience here at (Insert Co. name). Have learned a great deal, and had such a good opportunity to work with such a great team of diverse people.

Unfortunately I am having to change directions in a career which will take me out of (insert company name). (Insert day and date) will be my final day here.

My sincerest thanks,

modette99
Mon Sep 24th, 2012, 12:22 PM
I am driving back from pueblo (buisness trip) now I plan to see my boss when I get back, and am thinking it may be beneficial to leave the "where I am going" open and if he asks just be honest and tell him. My new boss told me if I get walked out come in the next day to my new family and start working. Did I mention this new place is amazing? :D

New place must walk you out...LOL At least this gives you a heads up when you leave them to have all your stuff ready or already gone...hehehehe

bulldog - True but you should take the shit the first day on the job...LOL

Slo
Mon Sep 24th, 2012, 12:29 PM
Also, don't get offended if you do happen to get walked out immediately. They don't do this out of spite, it's for security. Someone mentioned earlier in case you start deleting files, client type info, etc.

Also remember, it's a trend in any business that when someone is leaving, everyone in the company is curious about to where...and what they are offering.... and many may be tempted to try for another position at the company you are going to.

I saw one time a person left the company, and within the next 4-5 weeks, 7 others left to the same company. This obviously had an impact on business.

asp_125
Mon Sep 24th, 2012, 01:11 PM
Common for IT and tech related jobs to be walked out the door. Ironic since the intellectual property that's in your head leaves with you. More of a CYA move since client lists and such can be downloaded etc. Just remember to save then delete all that kitteh pr0n and NSFW pictures on your hard drive before leaving.

grim
Mon Sep 24th, 2012, 02:37 PM
Had the sit down with the boss it went very very well no hostile environment of any kind, he said its ways good to see someone going for something that will make life better and easier and he is not about stepping on anyone's toes. Said good for me, I wish you a little luck and I hope your company fails :lol:.

I guess however because of the position I am in, because I gave my two weeks notice I am subject to immediate termination with the 2 weeks paid by the company. He is not sure how HR will handle it but we will find out very shortly, I won't lie I'm hoping for the termination with two weeks of paid vacation err I mean....ummm :spit:

TFOGGuys
Mon Sep 24th, 2012, 03:58 PM
Had the sit down with the boss it went very very well no hostile environment of any kind, he said its ways good to see someone going for something that will make life better and easier and he is not about stepping on anyone's toes. Said good for me, I wish you a little luck and I hope your company fails :lol:.

I guess however because of the position I am in, because I gave my two weeks notice I am subject to immediate termination with the 2 weeks paid by the company. He is not sure how HR will handle it but we will find out very shortly, I won't lie I'm hoping for the termination with two weeks of paid vacation err I mean....ummm :spit:

You'll know soon enough when Security perp-walks you out....LOL

asp_125
Mon Sep 24th, 2012, 04:01 PM
Hmm.. no update from Grim.. guess corporate IT cut off his login. ;)

grim
Mon Sep 24th, 2012, 04:43 PM
Hmm.. no update from Grim.. guess corporate IT cut off his login. ;)

Update above ^^ :lol: We don't have security that would make it fun though.

Grant H.
Mon Sep 24th, 2012, 06:31 PM
Good for you.

Sounds like you handled it well, and that your boss was a good guy about it as well.

All HR departments are staffed by the devil.

I did the same thing in Feb this year. Best decision of my life.

madvlad
Mon Sep 24th, 2012, 06:45 PM
Cool man, glad to hear things went well there. Professional courtesy is damn hard to find these days

Wrider
Mon Sep 24th, 2012, 06:48 PM
All HR departments are staffed by the devil.

Nope, it's like lawyers. 99% give the rest a bad name!

Grim I'm glad you are doing well and wish you good luck in your new job!