PDA

View Full Version : Rider Down on Deckers

Cornfed
Sat Sep 29th, 2012, 01:59 PM
Came up on a bad scene about 10 miles south of Pine Junction. Blue ZX6 ran wide and hit the front of an F350. EMT had just arrived when we came up on it. Rider was stable but appeared to be in bad shape. Heal soon rider.

madvlad
Sat Sep 29th, 2012, 02:41 PM
Hope all is good!

Ghosty
Sat Sep 29th, 2012, 04:12 PM
I know it doesn't matter what kinda vehicle, but damn that's a big truck, ouch. Hope for a good recovery, rider.

DriverDave
Sat Sep 29th, 2012, 04:30 PM
I also saw the aftermath of that crash...looked pretty bad. Glad to hear he lived.

Sully
Sat Sep 29th, 2012, 04:35 PM
Saw it as well, hope the rider will be ok :(

Cornfed
Sat Sep 29th, 2012, 07:02 PM
Saw it as well, hope the rider will be ok :(

We saw the three of you at the bottom of HP Hill.

Here is a pic I took of the carnage.

http://i1203.photobucket.com/albums/bb390/cdavis981/IMG_0982.jpg

The poor guy hit the truck right on the frame horn. Couldnt even find a soft spot to make contact.
Ol Boy in the truck felt horrible, said "man, I had no where to go. He came across the yellow and plowed into me."

madvlad
Sat Sep 29th, 2012, 07:07 PM
Not his fault, motorcycle riders should know better than to crowd the line.

AOK303
Sat Sep 29th, 2012, 08:17 PM
was it vellos

DemonRider
Sat Sep 29th, 2012, 09:30 PM
was it vellos

Nope; not his Plate!

grim
Sat Sep 29th, 2012, 09:47 PM
Nope; not his Plate!

:yes: Vellos has a Vellos plate.

summit82
Sat Sep 29th, 2012, 10:10 PM
Are you sure this wasn’t an attempt at passing on double yellow? I’ve seen many near collisions, especially on group rides, and definitely cannot claim innocence myself. A stupid, impatient attempt at passing could end exactly like this. Either way, I wish the rider a swift recovery.

gsxridiot
Sun Sep 30th, 2012, 08:07 AM
Are you sure this wasn’t an attempt at passing on double yellow? I’ve seen many near collisions, especially on group rides, and definitely cannot claim innocence myself. A stupid, impatient attempt at passing could end exactly like this. Either way, I wish the rider a swift recovery.

hope not
i gave up group rides just for that reason
too easy to get pushed past your comfort zone in the name of not holding up the pack
good thoughts go to this rider and his recovery

texlurch
Sun Sep 30th, 2012, 08:21 AM
Sounds more like target fixation.. a big Ford mid corner can be an imposing sight.

#1Townie
Sun Sep 30th, 2012, 08:36 AM
Yeah there is no soft points when it comes to trucks. Hope the rider makes a full recovery.

texlurch
Sun Sep 30th, 2012, 08:49 AM
Yeah there is no soft points when it comes to trucks. Hope the rider makes a full recovery.

No kidding. Had a guy down in Texas a few years ago head on a truck while passing another. Basically blew off one of his arms and legs. He survived but maimed for life. Saddest part his father was behind him and saw it all.

Amazing story if you are interested:

http://www.motohouston.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9428

Stay in your lane guys, it's not worth it and there ain't no trophy on the street. ;)

Clovis
Sun Sep 30th, 2012, 10:17 AM
Scary stuff. Last weekend coming back from Taos we had just crested Wilkerson Pass and there was a caravan of traffic being held up by a truck towing a boat.

I went to pass the entire group and by the time I came up on the lead vehicle I was going too fast to get behind him so had to pass him too on the first left hand corner.

Luckilly, no oncoming traffic but I yelled at myself for being so stupid (ie impatient). If a car had been oncoming I would have had no where to go as it was IN the corner.

An exerpt from above article:

Even after the accident, nobody could accuse Chris of losing his sense of humor. His family has taken to calling him "FORD," an acronym for "found on road dead." Chris, who loves tattoos, says he had 12 before the accident, but now he only has 10 1/2. He's already been to his local tattoo parlor to ask for a discount to replace those he lost in the accident. And he wants to change the one on his back from "You only live once" to "You only live once twice."

That made me laugh.

texlurch
Sun Sep 30th, 2012, 10:43 AM
Chris has a great sense of humor, a very supportive woman and family. He goes and talks to kids in schools telling them his story and how life can change in the blink of an eye.

#1Townie
Sun Sep 30th, 2012, 11:39 AM
No kidding. Had a guy down in Texas a few years ago head on a truck while passing another. Basically blew off one of his arms and legs. He survived but maimed for life. Saddest part his father was behind him and saw it all.

Amazing story if you are interested:

http://www.motohouston.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9428

Stay in your lane guys, it's not worth it and there ain't no trophy on the street. ;)

That is one hell of a story.

Ghosty
Sun Sep 30th, 2012, 04:52 PM
I gave up group rides just for that reason. Too easy to get pushed past your comfort zone in the name of not holding up the pack.
That's actually a good point. I haven't done a group ride yet, but I'm sure I will next Spring. Best to "aim low", get in the group that is your skill level or LOWER, not try to wing it in a faster group in hopes of raising your skill, imo. I like that CSC usually tries to have different groups like that. Hopefully it helps people stay safe.

Bueller
Sun Sep 30th, 2012, 06:45 PM
I like that CSC usually tries to have different groups like that. Hopefully it helps people stay safe.
LoL Wishful thinking. nOOb rides bring out the show offs and advanced rides always attract the not so advanced. Group rides with people you are comfortable with are always best planned privately. If you go on a posted ride you need to regulate yourself.

CaptGoodvibes
Sun Sep 30th, 2012, 07:12 PM
3 bikes is optimum IMO.

#1Townie
Sun Sep 30th, 2012, 09:01 PM
LoL Wishful thinking. nOOb rides bring out the show offs and advanced rides always attract the not so advanced. Group rides with people you are comfortable with are always best planned privately. If you go on a posted ride you need to regulate yourself.

Wise words being spoken. Notes should be taken.

JKOL
Sun Sep 30th, 2012, 09:48 PM

Agree completely. Best thing to use group rides for is to make a few friends that you trust and enjoy riding with, and then you have a group of 3-4 riders to have good times with. Anymore riders than that starts to attract way too much negative attention. Plus group rides always end up with at least one rider that nobody knows and the person doesn't understand they aren't just risking their safety doing stupid s*&t, but everyone near them in the group.

Nolan
Sun Sep 30th, 2012, 11:08 PM
I'm the guy that catches up when everyone is off their bike already. Or they just disappear.

asp_125
Mon Oct 1st, 2012, 08:28 AM
CSC has group rides?? :D

Ghosty
Mon Oct 1st, 2012, 11:08 AM
Agree completely. Best thing to use group rides for is to make a few friends that you trust and enjoy riding with, and then you have a group of 3-4 riders to have good times with. Anymore riders than that starts to attract way too much negative attention. Plus group rides always end up with at least one rider that nobody knows and the person doesn't understand they aren't just risking their safety doing stupid s*&t, but everyone near them in the group.
+1, Agree.

Dogsbody
Mon Oct 1st, 2012, 01:50 PM
I'm the guy that catches up when everyone is off their bike already. Or they just disappear.

Usually they have their jackets and lids off by the time I roll up...

preludepearl417
Mon Oct 1st, 2012, 08:50 PM

As i ride with more and more people i notice this. I like to throttle back when people start acting like a skid mark....

vort3xr6
Mon Oct 1st, 2012, 09:27 PM

Or just find a group of fags with dirt bikes on street wheels. Those guys always ride super easy...

texlurch
Tue Oct 2nd, 2012, 01:43 AM
Unfortunately, you have to go on a few group rides to decide who it is you want to ride with. Unless you just have a small group of peeps that already hangs out and rides.

Just choose the group carefully, tag along at the back, and get a feel for the group.
If you have concerns, voice them at a stop and see how others react. That will tell you a lot right there.

HOTCARCASS
Tue Oct 2nd, 2012, 08:33 AM
I guess were not a club. Rather a first point of contact to establish more private social circles. Wisdom is the ability to not need a close call to be reminded that lives can be changed or taken in the fraction of a second. Motorcycles are the most impossible things to keep under total control 100% of the time. I hope this guys wisdom gathering continues.

mdub
Tue Oct 2nd, 2012, 08:42 AM
It is that damn friend request option!!!!!

Damn friend request!!!!

Bueller
Tue Oct 2nd, 2012, 09:41 AM
Or just find a group of fags with dirt bikes on street wheels. Those guys always ride super easy...

Those guys are the worst, they ride like a bunch of old women on their way to church.:crazy:

Repsol a095
Tue Oct 2nd, 2012, 10:53 AM
Those guys are the worst, they ride like a bunch of old women on their way to church.:crazy:

It is only a matter of time before you turn to the dark side!! Just come over and buy (but) the DRZ. It is calling to you.

Then, you too, could be an old faggity woman on the way to church.

UHATEIT
Tue Oct 2nd, 2012, 11:43 AM

I am always laggy and slow, I am still too new to push myself too fast. Now that I have lowside crashed I'm super slow and cautious and still havent gotten my speed and confidence back as I am affraid of falling again. I think my riding season is over for the year and was hoping to get my speed back and rub a bunch more before the season ends but now everytime I'm on the bike I always tense and feel wobbly and unconfident. Pisses me the fuck off!

Usually they have their jackets and lids off by the time I roll up...

Yup thats me too, people are always done before I get there, jackets and helmets off and a fresh cup of coffee in hand!

RajunCajun
Tue Oct 2nd, 2012, 11:58 AM
I am always laggy and slow, I am still too new to push myself too fast. Now that I have lowside crashed I'm super slow and cautious and still havent gotten my speed and confidence back as I am affraid of falling again. I think my riding season is over for the year and was hoping to get my speed back and rub a bunch more before the season ends but now everytime I'm on the bike I always tense and feel wobbly and unconfident. Pisses me the fuck off!

Yup thats me too, people are always done before I get there, jackets and helmets off and a fresh cup of coffee in hand!

This has been my first season back, after 3 years without a bike. I went from a 95 FZR 600 to an 05 R1. My first couple months were totally scary and I was actually holding up cages on tight twisties. I guess I'm lucky that I didn't crash because the last month or so of riding have been a lot faster and lot more fun. Guess I'm finally getting my groove back so I understand how frustrating it can be to,,,, well, to be slow and freaked out. Although, I've put almost 8000 miles on the old girl since June, so I I'd better be getting fast again;) Good luck breaking that plateau, Uhateit!

I've found a hand full of people that I mostly ride with. It's been very comforting to get to know these riders’ styles so well and trust them to teach me good techniques. Riding with technically sound and responsible riders makes all the difference in the world.

CaptGoodvibes
Tue Oct 2nd, 2012, 12:20 PM
The last time I held up a cage, I was on a rented Harley Road King going down Hwy 7 at 70mph. Damn hopped up Volvo s60 had a stick up his ass. ;)

grim
Tue Oct 2nd, 2012, 01:03 PM
I hold up traffic on the DRZ until I find a random field I decide I want to ride through :lol:.

CaptGoodvibes
Tue Oct 2nd, 2012, 01:09 PM
I hold up traffic on the DRZ until I find a random field I decide I want to ride through :lol:.
Nice!

UHATEIT
Tue Oct 2nd, 2012, 03:17 PM
This has been my first season back, after 3 years without a bike. I went from a 95 FZR 600 to an 05 R1. My first couple months were totally scary and I was actually holding up cages on tight twisties. I guess I'm lucky that I didn't crash because the last month or so of riding have been a lot faster and lot more fun. Guess I'm finally getting my groove back so I understand how frustrating it can be to,,,, well, to be slow and freaked out. Although, I've put almost 8000 miles on the old girl since June, so I I'd better be getting fast again;) Good luck breaking that plateau, Uhateit!

damn 8000 miles since June! I just started riding in late May. I wish I could find the time to put that many on the bike. It is taking a while to get my confidence back and I doubt I'll be back to speed before season ends. So next Season will probably be my comeback!

texlurch
Wed Oct 3rd, 2012, 12:03 AM
Don't worry about finding "speed" on the street.. worry about getting the good mechanics and skills that allow you to ride the bike well and avoid those pitfalls around every corner.

The "speed" will come once you get comfortable and in touch with the bike.