PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about racing 250 production class.

maktastik_jr.
Wed Oct 3rd, 2012, 09:23 AM
Im thinking about racing 250 production in the next year or two. suggestions? comments? advice?

asp_125
Wed Oct 3rd, 2012, 09:37 AM
Suggestions? Don't do it, it's like crack!

Your first race bike should already be track ready. You will spend more money trying to fix up a cheap craigslist beater and sort it out than if you just spend a bit more and get an existing race bike from a reputable racer.

vort3xr6
Wed Oct 3rd, 2012, 09:40 AM
250 production is cheap on tires, cheap on gas, and cheap to repair.

Problem with the 250's is they are deathly slow, and the class rewards people with a HIGH level of skill. When all the machines are slow and even, the person with the most skill wins.

I would love to try it, but I still have not heard an honest answer from somebody who dropped out of it as to why they did. Most go back to larger machines.

maktastik_jr.
Wed Oct 3rd, 2012, 09:41 AM
Suggestions? Don't do it, it's like crack!

Your first race bike should already be track ready. You will spend more money trying to fix up a cheap craigslist beater and sort it out than if you just spend a bit more and get an existing race bike from a reputable racer.

theres the problem im seeing with production 250. i am a DIE HARD honda guy. have never owned anything but hondas, never will. so that being said, i would want to race the cbr 250. and there are like NONE on CL.

UglyDogRacing
Wed Oct 3rd, 2012, 09:41 AM
Just be ready to spend alot of money if you want to get serious with it. Most people don't realize how expensive racing is....

I am not a racer so maybe they could explain the costs so you are aware of those first of all before going in. My best friend raced for years and was dropping like $10K+ a year on it (with all costs; like traveling, gas, hotels, etc and that was not even the cost of his bike)

Way to try scare him off, Nate!

The 250 production class is the most inexpensive class to race in the MRA. The bikes are inexpensive to start with, there are very limited modifications allowed, you can get through an entire weekend on a couple gallons of gas, and you could possibly get through an entire season on one set of tires.

UglyDogRacing
Wed Oct 3rd, 2012, 09:43 AM
theres the problem im seeing with production 250. i am a DIE HARD honda guy. have never owned anything but hondas, never will. so that being said, i would want to race the cbr 250. and there are like NONE on CL.

The single cylinder CBR250 is not competitive against the Ninja 250's. A very competent rider tried last season and gave up.

maktastik_jr.
Wed Oct 3rd, 2012, 09:46 AM
i have the credit to buy a brand spanking new cbr 250 but i dont want to carry full coverage insurance on something that i will only be riding on the track. and as far as the bone stock/ skill issue, i dont mind that at all. when i raced karts as a kid, the other kids' parents were super rich and had all the nicest shit and the fastest machines, so i was at a severe disadvantage. i like the idea of having a level playing field as far as the bikes go.

maktastik_jr.
Wed Oct 3rd, 2012, 09:47 AM
The single cylinder CBR250 is not competitive against the Ninja 250's. A very competent rider tried last season and gave up.

damn, i was afraid so. :puppy: ninja 250 time maybe?

UglyDogRacing
Wed Oct 3rd, 2012, 09:48 AM
damn, i was afraid so. :puppy: ninja 250 time maybe?

To be on a level playing field with the other competitors; yes.

bulldog
Wed Oct 3rd, 2012, 09:51 AM
Way to try scare him off, Nate!

The 250 production class is the most inexpensive class to race in the MRA. The bikes are inexpensive to start with, there are very limited modifications allowed, you can get through an entire weekend on a couple gallons of gas, and you could possibly get through an entire season on one set of tires. Sorry, should have let the experts answer; thought I was helping by giving heads up right away....my bad :(

I am going back to not posting anymore...so much less drama

asp_125
Wed Oct 3rd, 2012, 09:55 AM
I wonder if giving the CBR250 some more allowable mods would even the field. Although with the Ninja 300, there may be some disturbance in the level playing field in "250" Class. Might have to rename it the Sippy Cup class.

maktastik_jr.
Wed Oct 3rd, 2012, 09:56 AM
To be on a level playing field with the other competitors; yes.

what would be the LEAST expensive class i could race a honda in? i hate to be hard headed like that but i am a die hard honda guy. i bleed red haha figuratively speaking

asp_125
Wed Oct 3rd, 2012, 09:59 AM
You could run a Honda and not be competitive and be happy back in the pack. Chances are you will improve but if you are setting your sights on podium you gotta run what wins; depends what your goal is.

UglyDogRacing
Wed Oct 3rd, 2012, 10:00 AM
I wonder if giving the CBR250 some more allowable mods would even the field. Although with the Ninja 300, there may be some disturbance in the level playing field in "250" Class. Might have to rename it the Sippy Cup class.

Where the Ninja 300 will fit in is still under discussion. There is a rule proposal to change the class to "Production Cup" and have two seperate waves: up to 250cc and up to 400cc.

maktastik_jr.
Wed Oct 3rd, 2012, 10:01 AM
You could run a Honda and not be competitive and be happy back in the pack. Chances are you will improve but if you are setting your sights on podium you gotta run what wins.

fucking honda needs to get their shit together.

asp_125
Wed Oct 3rd, 2012, 10:03 AM
Where the Ninja 300 will fit in is still under discussion. There is a rule proposal to change the class to "Production Cup" and have two seperate waves: up to 250cc and up to 400cc.

Hmmm.. interesting. VFR400? FZR400? RZ350?

maktastik_jr.
Wed Oct 3rd, 2012, 10:16 AM
ooooo vfr 400 :)

UglyDogRacing
Wed Oct 3rd, 2012, 10:21 AM
Hmmm.. interesting. VFR400? FZR400? RZ350?

It will probably be limited to single and twin cylinder bikes like the new KTM 350, 390 and the Ninja 400 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDQOUGHAIjs

Peanut_EOD
Wed Oct 3rd, 2012, 09:47 PM
If you really like the CBR 250 go ahead and race it! We can always use more backmarkers. If you want to see how you do on an even playing field quit being so hard headed and come to the dark side. Team Green!

Repsol a095
Wed Oct 3rd, 2012, 09:51 PM

There is one in Wyoming.

http://wyoming.craigslist.org/mcy/3305095963.html

madvlad
Wed Oct 3rd, 2012, 09:57 PM
Three fiddy! Final offer since he leaves lol... Just figure that parts for a kawi in case of a crash are more common than the Honda (even though you work at Honda) but aftermarket support is way better for kawi so just food for thought.

Kitten
Wed Oct 3rd, 2012, 10:11 PM
Racing in the 250 class has honestly been the most fun I have ever had on a motorcycle. I think it is the perfect class both to learn in as well as continue to have fun in year after year. The competition is great and you don't have to spend a ton of money to be competitive as it is about rider skill. If you have any questions about it, feel free to ask me and/or any of the other 250 riders.

FZRguy
Thu Oct 4th, 2012, 08:24 PM
I'd def be racing in the Ninjette class if I could. Just not in the cards for me right now.

maktastik_jr.
Thu Oct 4th, 2012, 08:25 PM
i want to so bad. but idk if i can buy a Kawi. my stepdad would probably shoot me.

FZRguy
Thu Oct 4th, 2012, 08:25 PM
It will probably be limited to single and twin cylinder bikes like the new KTM 350, 390 and the Ninja 400 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDQOUGHAIjs

Maybe DRZ400SM? :D

Titus
Thu Oct 4th, 2012, 11:20 PM
what would be the LEAST expensive class i could race a honda in? i hate to be hard headed like that but i am a die hard honda guy. i bleed red haha figuratively speaking

Honda RS125 in LWGP???
Proper racebike!
http://ic2.pbase.com/o6/80/629180/1/75787528.XCrci3X1.HondaRS125GP125s.jpg

But I'm biased ;)

Bueller
Fri Oct 5th, 2012, 06:52 AM
You can run the CBR in lightweight endurance and if you are any good you will not finish last. $80 last year.

maktastik_jr.
Fri Oct 5th, 2012, 09:29 PM
Honda RS125 in LWGP???
Proper racebike!
http://ic2.pbase.com/o6/80/629180/1/75787528.XCrci3X1.HondaRS125GP125s.jpg

But I'm biased ;)

+1 but super hard to find :( id really like to get the new nsf250r but they are like 26k lmao. and bueller what is the endurance class?

Bueller
Fri Oct 5th, 2012, 09:44 PM
30 min. Endurance race on Sat. afternoons. You get morning practice, 3 sessions, and the 30 min. race. You can also run Sunday am practice also if you stay. It is open to Novice and Experts. Lightweight and Middleweight run @ the same time.

madvlad
Fri Oct 5th, 2012, 09:49 PM
Endurance races are bang for the buck and give you the most track time. What I plan to do next season!

Peanut_EOD
Thu Oct 11th, 2012, 10:09 PM
I race the Production 250 class, Lightweight Grand Prix, Lightweight Endurance(even though I usually skip it) and Colorado Class. The CBR 250 is legal for all of these classes.

maktastik_jr.
Thu Oct 11th, 2012, 10:18 PM
I race the Production 250 class, Lightweight Grand Prix, Lightweight Endurance(even though I usually skip it) and Colorado Class. The CBR 250 is legal for all of these classes.

but competitive?

Kitten
Thu Oct 11th, 2012, 10:47 PM
I race Colorado, LWGP and the 250 class of a Ninja 250 and got 2nd (3 points out of 1st) in Colorado, 5th in LWGP (missed 4th by a couple of points) and 3rd in 250. I believe you can be competitive in these classes plus light weight endurance and it is an absolute blast to ride. It really makes you become a better rider.

Mother Goose
Fri Oct 12th, 2012, 08:43 AM
Keith Eastin on the CBR250

http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6026/5929050632_1139dfe89e_b.jpg

UglyDogRacing
Fri Oct 12th, 2012, 08:55 AM
Keith Eastin on the CBR250

http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6026/5929050632_1139dfe89e_b.jpg

He ran that bike a couple times in 2011 and then gave up on it.

asp_125
Fri Oct 12th, 2012, 09:00 AM
I believe in the magazine reviews, the thumper CBR has the pull off the start, but gives up top end speed to the Ninja's twin. Be interesting to hear if that's why Easton gave up on it, or if it was something else like chassis.

Mother Goose
Fri Oct 12th, 2012, 09:24 AM
There just wasn't enough parts for it to make it competitive. He was tucked and wide open through turns 3a & b on the CBR while everyone else was hanging off dragging a knee on the Ninjas. He'd do it just to try and keep the drive going for the straight because of the power difference. :lol:

UglyDogRacing
Fri Oct 12th, 2012, 09:33 AM
There just wasn't enough parts for it to make it competitive.

It's a 250 production class. Only mods you can make is a pipe (which he had) and rejetting or remapping. Other than not having race bodywork, he did everything the rules allowed.

Mother Goose
Fri Oct 12th, 2012, 09:42 AM
It's a 250 production class. Only mods you can make is a pipe (which he had) and rejetting or remapping. Other than not having race bodywork, he did everything the rules allowed.
And that was the biggest thing. He still had all the lights and stock bodywork on it when he raced it.

Titus
Fri Oct 12th, 2012, 10:47 AM
I wonder if the next generation cbr250 will be a v-twin. I don't see any reason why someone would buy the cbr250 over the the ninja250 other than brand loyalty. The ninja seems better in every way.

asp_125
Fri Oct 12th, 2012, 11:45 AM
You can bet Honda engineers are doing a facepalm now that Kawasaki has released the Ninja 300.

maktastik_jr.
Fri Oct 12th, 2012, 11:59 AM
I wonder if the next generation cbr250 will be a v-twin. I don't see any reason why someone would buy the cbr250 over the the ninja250 other than brand loyalty. The ninja seems better in every way.

i highly doubt it. the cbr 250 is killing in sales right now compared to all of hondas other streetbikes. we have probably sold like 15 of them since april.
and brand loyalty is the only reason i refuse to just get a ninja. if i want any support from interstate honda, i have to race a honda.

FZRguy
Fri Oct 12th, 2012, 03:54 PM
I'm not surprised at sales considering the Ninja 250 is Kawi's best selling bike ever. It's a entry level city bike, not a race bike, and noobs will scoop them up.

kawasakirob
Sat Oct 13th, 2012, 03:05 AM
i highly doubt it. the cbr 250 is killing in sales right now compared to all of hondas other streetbikes. we have probably sold like 15 of them since april.
and brand loyalty is the only reason i refuse to just get a ninja. if i want any support from interstate honda, i have to race a honda.

So buy a Honda.... and not be as competitive....simple as that. Or, suck up your brand loyalty...buy a Kawi, and be more competitive. Who cares if it's a Kawi or not. I'm not a Honda guy, never have been, but I've owned Hondas and they were great bikes. No big deal, although my Kawi's were ( still are) better bikes anyway... duh? :lol:

Just messin...but seriously buy a Kawi....kidding....but do it.

kawasakirob
Sat Oct 13th, 2012, 03:28 AM
Hell, I can put on my Kawasaki sweatshirt and lap the track faster than that CBR 250.

Bueller
Sat Oct 13th, 2012, 10:18 AM
Never have been a fanboy of any brand, although I do like Buells. I will ride pretty much anything, even Honda. Just picked up an F2 for cheap to run Modern Vintage next year. Race what you want but, you will get crushed on the CBR. There are guys running quicker laps on the Ninjas than 1/3 of the novices on 600's. With the 250's every bit of HP is huge. Corner speed is pretty much the biggest factor and the CBR with the right rider can match the ninja's in that aspect, but drive out and the straight line HP difference is going to be impossible to stay anywhere near the front half of the grid. There are some really good riders in this class.

maktastik_jr.
Sat Oct 13th, 2012, 10:39 AM
Never have been a fanboy of any brand, although I do like Buells. I will ride pretty much anything, even Honda. Just picked up an F2 for cheap to run Modern Vintage next year. Race what you want but, you will get crushed on the CBR. There are guys running quicker laps on the Ninjas than 1/3 of the novices on 600's. With the 250's every bit of HP is huge. Corner speed is pretty much the biggest factor and the CBR with the right rider can match the ninja's in that aspect, but drive out and the straight line HP difference is going to be impossible to stay anywhere near the front half of the grid. There are some really good riders in this class.
requirements for running modern vintage? i looked at the rule book but it was somewhat confusing for that class. and thanks for the input Bueller!

slo lee
Sat Oct 13th, 2012, 11:10 AM
The racer is the most important part for sure but the total weight of the rider and motorcycle is critical, too, in these under powered bikes. As best you can, try to see where your weight fits in the mix. Like Schrammy and Hammer. Better chance of winning. A heavier rider . . . :dunno:. My $.02

Kitten
Sat Oct 13th, 2012, 11:19 AM
While weight has an impact for sure, there are quite a range of weights put there. I am not the lightest guy but still have a blast and am competitive.

Peanut_EOD
Sat Oct 13th, 2012, 12:23 PM
but competitive?

You said you want to come out and race so come out and race. You can race your precious Honda or you can be competitive, but you can't have both. Either way come out and race.:devious:

maktastik_jr.
Sat Oct 13th, 2012, 12:58 PM
maybe ill just sack up and get a 600. found a 2000 f4 race ready for 2k on cl

FZRguy
Sat Oct 13th, 2012, 01:47 PM
I am the lightest guy and the class on either bike is perfect for me. Really don't care if I am competitive or not. It would be a blast!

kawasakirob
Sat Oct 13th, 2012, 02:25 PM
Watching the 250's run, especially the front runners coming out of turn 4 into 5 was awesome. Pretty good speed they were carrying off the straight. I was impressed! They used the entire track, more than any other class ( give or take a few riders). You could see their was some skill involved for sure!! Great skill!!

Brand loyalty,

Not a fan of Honda as already mentioned, but my dream bike is a tricked to the brim RC51. Weird huh?

Peanut_EOD
Sat Oct 13th, 2012, 04:36 PM
You mean like this?
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y245/synernut/Racing/_IGP1094.jpghttp://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y245/synernut/Racing/_IGP0542.jpg

Kitten
Sat Oct 13th, 2012, 04:50 PM
I'm pretty sure he's talking about hpr. "Long straight" lol

kawasakirob
Sat Oct 13th, 2012, 06:00 PM
Yeah HPR!:lol: I really didn't specify huh? Good photos Peanut, thats cool. I enjoyed watching you guys/gal(s)

maktastik_jr.
Sat Oct 13th, 2012, 06:14 PM
yeah my ability is no wear near that level. what i need is an experienced racer to take me under their wing

Bueller
Sat Oct 13th, 2012, 08:11 PM
Get a bike and start doing some track days over the winter and spring and you will meet people that will give you some guidance. Remember not all advice is good. The more you network @ the tracks the better.

Kitten
Sat Oct 13th, 2012, 08:19 PM
For sure, I am always willing to help. My race number is 222. Just hit me up. Like Bueller said, take advice as that, advice.

maktastik_jr.
Sat Oct 13th, 2012, 08:22 PM
right on guys thanks! debating on selling my crf250 so i can buy a track bike

Peanut_EOD
Sat Oct 13th, 2012, 09:57 PM
We're all willing to take you under our wings. Just remember that those wings are Green!

Kitten
Sat Oct 13th, 2012, 10:01 PM
Lol

maktastik_jr.
Sat Oct 13th, 2012, 10:04 PM
We're all willing to take you under our wings. Just remember that those wings are Green!

whatever man. i dont discriminate. :harrrrr:

madvlad
Sat Oct 13th, 2012, 10:23 PM
Do eeeeet!

maktastik_jr.
Sat Oct 13th, 2012, 11:43 PM
Do eeeeet!

its gonna have to happen damir. lol

Peanut_EOD
Sun Oct 14th, 2012, 07:30 AM
I think it would be fun to have a CBR250 racing with us. I'm actually curious to see how well they do.

madvlad
Sun Oct 14th, 2012, 09:52 AM
Does interstate Honda do sponsorships? Cause I'll be racing a CBR600 next year :D

maktastik_jr.
Sun Oct 14th, 2012, 11:33 AM
Does interstate Honda do sponsorships? Cause I'll be racing a CBR600 next year :D

thats what im working on man. trying to get us into the road racing scene. no free bikes though lmao.

madvlad
Sun Oct 14th, 2012, 11:39 AM
I don't want free bikes lol just a bit of help with few parts and gear so I can race. Being on a budget sucks lol

maktastik_jr.
Sun Oct 14th, 2012, 07:35 PM
I don't want free bikes lol just a bit of help with few parts and gear so I can race. Being on a budget sucks lol

yes sir it does. i think the only person we sponsor right now as far as road racing goes is jeff winter who races the colorado class

madvlad
Sun Oct 14th, 2012, 08:03 PM
Word man, if there is an application to fill out for this let me know. I've been trying to do some research on how to apply and proper ways for writing a letter but not having any luck lol

diz
Sun Oct 14th, 2012, 08:53 PM
Word man, if there is an application to fill out for this let me know. I've been trying to do some research on how to apply and proper ways for writing a letter but not having any luck lol

http://www.ehow.com/how_6864691_do-make-racing-resume_.html
http://www.undergroundrc.com/tuning/articles.aspx?uID=4288
http://www.go-teamape.com/resume.html
http://www.atvriders.com/articles/atv_resume_sponsorship.html
http://www.scribd.com/doc/39603811/Chris-Van-Hove-Resume-2010

Most of these links aren't exclusive to road racing but there is a lot of useful information regardless. I have found some companies that sponsor new racers but you're going to have to be creative as to how you can promote them. They want polished race resumes which require a decent amount of effort to put together.

maktastik_jr.
Sun Oct 14th, 2012, 09:07 PM

well fred (owner) only likes to sponsor local guys, but, seeing how most the tracks are like a billion miles away from fort collins, that may be a different story. there is no application or any of that nonsense. i would suggest making the trip up and buying parts now and then. get to know the guys at the shop. we also will order parts over the phone and ship them to you. most the people we sponsor are friends of the shop ( which isnt to hard, we are all pretty friendly:hibye: ) o boy now im excited. time to find a bike :headbang:

maktastik_jr.
Tue Oct 16th, 2012, 05:20 PM
http://denver.craigslist.org/mcy/3238214660.html
ooo about this. might be selling my crf 250r