PDA

View Full Version : 1st service?

W1LL
Fri Aug 19th, 2005, 01:45 AM
i checked by a shop here in the springs and the guy told me it would be 100 plus parts for the service is this a fair price for up here? might be able to do a discount thing if i get more than 1 bike in there, turn around is 1/2 a day to 1 day

BlueDevil
Wed Aug 24th, 2005, 06:19 AM
1st services are notoriously a rip off. Most of the prices I have seen from a dealer are mid 200's. If U get it that cheep, depending on what they are doing. It may be worth it. I still say get the repair manual and do it your self. (If you are fairly confortable working on stuff like that)

Most of all that stuff is or can be done quickly and free. Obviously oil change, chain maint, air cleaner, head berrings (may need tightened) etc...

RAGrote
Wed Aug 24th, 2005, 08:35 AM
i checked by a shop here in the springs and the guy told me it would be 100 plus parts for the service is this a fair price for up here?

That's a pretty good price. What kind of bike? If it's multiple cylinders this is a real good price considering they're supposed to check valve clearances (on most bikes anyway).

Still... blue is right. Learn to do it yourself. Use the mechanics for the occasional tranny blowup. It's not brain surgery. Get a manual. Take ur time and pay attention to detail.

1 sawbill? Cheap insurance if you're not comfortable with doing it.

BTW, I wouldn't blame you if you never did it yourself. For me, however, it's therapy.