PDA

View Full Version : Who's ready for Windows 8?

LambeauXLIV
Fri Oct 12th, 2012, 11:17 AM
:lol:

http://i368.photobucket.com/albums/oo125/LambeauXLIV/Untitled_zps25a9b00a.png

Darth Do'Urden
Fri Oct 12th, 2012, 11:22 AM
Win8 can fall in a well and die.

I'm quite happy with W7. I guess we'll see what W9 looks like....

laspariahs
Fri Oct 12th, 2012, 11:45 AM
]

I'll have to wait and see. I'm not running out to get this..... Just yet.

Ghosty
Fri Oct 12th, 2012, 11:53 AM
I'm SKIPPING this round, just like I completely skipped Vista, haha! XP still rules, imo! But I've slowly changed machines over to Win7 over the last couple years. Unless 8 has something really cool and special, I'll wait for 9.

Shit I'm still happy with XP on my work laptop, heh.

WolFeYeZ
Fri Oct 12th, 2012, 12:00 PM
Ive had win8 since January-ish. It sucks balls. Better plug and play support though, only thing I liked.

TFOGGuys
Fri Oct 12th, 2012, 12:19 PM
More motivation for me to play with Linux. Everything I've heard about 8 beta leads me to believe it's ME v2.0.

ETA: Still have a laptop running 95 in operation, and a couple of 98 machines. I have a complete set of install floppies for Win3.11 if anyone needs them.

modette99
Fri Oct 12th, 2012, 12:26 PM
Win8 can fall in a well and die.

I'm quite happy with W7. I guess we'll see what W9 looks like....

I agree I only just got Windows 7 last Christmas. I don't plan for a new PC for at least 5 more years...so I'll see what Windows 9 is about. I have never bought a new operating systems, I get them when I get a new PC ONLY.

I`m Batman
Fri Oct 12th, 2012, 02:32 PM
I waited until it was officially released. I just installed Windows 8 Pro on my home PC and I love it. It has Hyper-V built in for Pro version (if your CPU can support it). I have 2 Win7 VM running on it, one for VPN for work and the other for VPN for downloads. All 3 can run at the same time. It's the next step, I think. Combining mobile (toy) and desktop (real world use) into one. It'll be more apparent when the full version tablets comes out (which can replace laptops). If you don't like the "Metro", you can always turn it off and be your regular desktop. I actually like the Metro side, they just need more apps for it.
There's just so much potential, so much you can do with this OS platform. I hope they don't screw it up.

cbrjohnny
Fri Oct 12th, 2012, 05:34 PM
do i need W8 to get on csc? no... guess i dont need it. (unless it makes copy/paste pics possible lol)

FZ1Guy
Mon Oct 15th, 2012, 07:52 AM
More motivation for me to play with Linux. Everything I've heard about 8 beta leads me to believe it's ME v2.0.

ETA: Still have a laptop running 95 in operation, and a couple of 98 machines. I have a complete set of install floppies for Win3.11 if anyone needs them.

Yea, you mean these kind?

http://www.directmailmarketing101.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/5_inch_1_4_floppy_disk_-300x271.jpg

BushyAR15
Mon Oct 15th, 2012, 09:35 AM
UBUNTU!

Drama
Tue Oct 16th, 2012, 02:46 PM
I downloaded mine from dreamspark. It blows lol

TFOGGuys
Tue Oct 16th, 2012, 02:57 PM
Yea, you mean these kind?

http://www.directmailmarketing101.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/5_inch_1_4_floppy_disk_-300x271.jpg

Nah, that's soooooo 1985. Mine are on 3.5s(7 of the bastards). I do still have a couple of 5 inch drives somewhere, just in case the medium makes a comeback...:lol:

TransNone13
Tue Oct 16th, 2012, 03:59 PM
For less than Windows 8, you can have a computer on a chip running Raspbian Linux.

The Raspberry Pi!!! Anyway, no thanks. It's usually a safe bet to skip every other iteration of Windows. Win7 here.

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-djmyG0Ery-o/UGpgmynoZfI/AAAAAAAADPw/7Q3T3LWyl-s/s800/20121001_213258.jpg

Rabbie303
Tue Oct 16th, 2012, 04:41 PM
I actually played with Win8 last night at a friends house and it's just not very user friendly. If you had played with a tablet or a phone using the tiles I can maybe see getting a jump start on it, but I had NO idea what to do or where to go on Win 8. I will stick to my Win 7 as it works just fine. TransNone13 is correct, skip every other Win release and you're golden.

birchyboy
Wed Oct 31st, 2012, 11:25 AM
I purchased the upgrade from Windows.com for $39.99. Since I purchased it from a 32 bit Windows 7 machine, it downloaded and installed Windows 8 32 bit. I had to call MS and get a link that allowed me download it from a Windows 7 64 bit machine (using my upgrade key). Kind of a PITA. Time to reinstall.

laspariahs
Wed Oct 31st, 2012, 11:51 AM
I got to play with the Microsoft Surface, and it was AMAZING. BEST TABLET EVER. Why? Because you can do actual work on it, it could actually replace your laptop.

I'm waiting for the pro....

I`m Batman
Wed Oct 31st, 2012, 12:05 PM
I got to play with the Microsoft Surface, and it was AMAZING. BEST TABLET EVER. Why? Because you can do actual work on it, it could actually replace your laptop.

I'm waiting for the pro....

That's what I'm saying. I'm waiting for Pro as well. I have my laptop docked to my TV and its like a giant tablet and its awesome. Multitasking is actually multitasking. I don't know what these people are complaining about. If people don't accept changes we'd still be using DOS. You can't expect OS to stay the same forever. Watch Apple do the same to their OS in the future. Can you imagine how much money they'll make if all their OS can purchase and run apps from their App Store? It's stupid for them not to follow Microsoft.

Microsoft have a lot more developers than Apple. The Apps counts should go up quickly.

laspariahs
Wed Oct 31st, 2012, 12:26 PM
That's what I'm saying. I'm waiting for Pro as well. I have my laptop docked to my TV and its like a giant tablet and its awesome. Multitasking is actually multitasking. I don't know what these people are complaining about. If people don't accept changes we'd still be using DOS. You can't expect OS to stay the same forever. Watch Apple do the same to their OS in the future. Can you imagine how much money they'll make if all their OS can purchase and run apps from their App Store? It's stupid for them not to follow Microsoft.

Microsoft have a lot more developers than Apple. The Apps counts should go up quickly.

Well, for a non touch enabled device, I wouldn't like the new interface, for a tablet it's awesome. I'm still not running out and getting 8 for my desktop. Plus I've heard bad things about multiscreen use, and I have 3 screens.... We'll see.

For a tablet I'm sold, even the RT is amazing. When I went to see it I expected just another toy tablet, but it's not, it's a real computer, with real office. Honestly iPad and all the rest, useless compared to this. Finally I believe that tablets can replace laptops. If the pro were out now, no doubt I'd own one.

I`m Batman
Wed Oct 31st, 2012, 12:35 PM
I run multi-screen with my desktop at home and it's fine. I haven't upgrade my desktop at work yet that has 4 screens. My co-worker did and had no issues.
The only thing that I may have an issue with is that the security on it is pretty tight. Even when you're an Admin. You'll have to run as Admin on some things so that it will run properly even after you turn your UAC all the way down. For me, as a developer, that could be annoying. But you can go change your registry setting and turn that off.

asp_125
Wed Oct 31st, 2012, 12:51 PM
One step closer to holographic computing?
http://nerdtrek.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/Iron-man-movie-computer.jpg

laspariahs
Wed Oct 31st, 2012, 12:54 PM
I run multi-screen with my desktop at home and it's fine. I haven't upgrade my desktop at work yet that has 4 screens. My co-worker did and had no issues.
The only thing that I may have an issue with is that the security on it is pretty tight. Even when you're an Admin. You'll have to run as Admin on some things so that it will run properly even after you turn your UAC all the way down. For me, as a developer, that could be annoying. But you can go change your registry setting and turn that off.

Yeah, like I said, I'm not running out for it. We'll see. I'll upgrade if and when I need to.

bluedogok
Wed Oct 31st, 2012, 03:51 PM
I will probably get it for a HTPC and try it out, I have no intention of upgrading my desktop or laptop that I do work on before trying it out on something that isn't critical.

LambeauXLIV
Thu Nov 1st, 2012, 12:23 AM
After getting used to it for a bit, I think I'll stay with 8 going forward.

One thing that does bother me, is when using multiple monitors, you can have the taskbar appear at the bottom of them; however, the notification area only appears on one. I would love for the clock to be on both screens....

Oh, and I love how fast the computer sleeps and wakes up.