PDA

View Full Version : Winterizing the Track Bike, Coolant?

675Rider
Sun Oct 14th, 2012, 01:19 PM
I have been running water and water wetter in my Daytona for a while now. In the past I have drained the radiator of water and water wetter, and put regular anti-freeze in. It stays in the garage all winter, but I worry it will freeze if I do not change it.

So is this the correct action? What does everyone else do?

blaircsf
Sun Oct 14th, 2012, 01:44 PM
Some people just drain it and leave it empty. I replace it with antifreeze, don't have to worry about not starting it and such.

Also, no need to worry about it not draining completely.

Bueller
Sun Oct 14th, 2012, 02:05 PM
I never take the chance, I generally change it out before the hard freezes. If I am late and worry about it I run a small electric heater under the bike with a cover or blankets over it.

Matrix
Sun Oct 14th, 2012, 03:55 PM
Just added antifreeze to mine today. Still have water in my street bike but I am holding out in hopes of one more day at the track.

Fumet5uNo
Sun Oct 14th, 2012, 06:26 PM
Have to keep in mind how your garage is? My garage is heated so don't ever worry to much about freeze, but if freeze is a fear then remove caps so u have pressure escapes , or as said just drain it if your just camping the bike, it will be fine empty

Titus
Sun Oct 14th, 2012, 07:28 PM
Filling with anti-freeze would probably be a good idea also to prevent corrosion in the cooling circuit.

aspenbum
Sun Oct 14th, 2012, 07:48 PM
Jason, are you going to HPR on Saturday?

FZRguy
Mon Oct 15th, 2012, 12:31 AM
Completely forgot to drain the YZ last year with my October knee surgery and it was a non issue. I never saw my garage get below 32 degrees.

675Rider
Mon Oct 15th, 2012, 07:37 PM
Jason, are you going to HPR on Saturday?

Nah, Im done for the year. I would like to, but I would need a new set of tires and I don't want a new set sitting all winter. That and I need to check my valve clearances, its due. Ill see you in the spring for sure. I gotta get faster.

675Rider
Mon Oct 15th, 2012, 07:38 PM
Filling with anti-freeze would probably be a good idea also to prevent corrosion in the cooling circuit.

That was my reasoning in the past. I was hoping it was a viable reason.

Drama
Tue Oct 16th, 2012, 02:45 PM
Drain and refill with antifreeze. Super easy to do. Don't risk a cracked engine.

Or you can park it in your foyer :)

maktastik_jr.
Tue Oct 16th, 2012, 04:13 PM
poor some vodka in there comrade.

675Rider
Thu Nov 8th, 2012, 09:39 AM
Any anti-freeze should work right? Im not going to be running it at temp or anything so...

laspariahs
Thu Nov 8th, 2012, 09:48 AM
Any anti-freeze should work right? Im not going to be running it at temp or anything so...

Potentially it won't. Dex cool in a system that isn't dex cool compatiable is a bad thing for example. Find out what kind of coolant your bike came with and use that.I would guess a G 05 coolant.

Speedin' Motorsports
Thu Nov 8th, 2012, 09:10 PM
@675Rider,

Any 'Universal' yellow/green coolant will work. Perferablly straight and not a 50/50 mix (since there is still a water in the block for it to mix with) start it and let it warm up. then park it for the winter. No worries from there. :up:

675Rider
Fri Nov 9th, 2012, 10:05 AM
Thanks!