PDA

View Full Version : need some DISH network/AV advice

Connman
Sun Oct 14th, 2012, 01:40 PM
Hey guys,
I just moved and had to switch from DirecTV to DISH because of the position of the building. (no SW exposure)
Had dish service installed yesterday, got a brand new TV... and the resolution definitely does not look like 1080 HD. Slightly fuzzy edges around everything, some pixelation around graphics, etc...

Called the installer and dish directly, and they're going to come back out but I'm wondering if there's anything I can do myself. Everything on the tv is set correctly, but what concerns me is when I go to diagnostics on the dish menu, it says signal strength is 55 when the strength meter goes up to 120. Both installer and dish says this is a relative number and that's not the problem... I think that's a little suspect.

I remember when I had DirecTV installed years ago, the guy tweaked and tweaked to be sure I was getting the best signal I could. Is DirecTV just that much better than DISH? ...cuz after watching DirecTV for years with perfect clarity, this is driving me nuts.

THANKS!

Forgot to add that I've swapped out HDMI cables, and even swapped TV's... no change in picture quality.

LambeauXLIV
Sun Oct 14th, 2012, 02:43 PM
Are you experiencing this on all channels? Specifically, on both local channels and network channels (they are typically served by different satellites)? Also, what does it say next to the 55 signal strength? It should be something like 129, 110, 61.5, etc.

Connman
Sun Oct 14th, 2012, 03:35 PM
Yes, I'm seeing it on all channels.
On the diagnostics screen it shows signal strength 55, Tuner 1, satellite 119, transponder 7.

Whats strange to me is that the on-screen menus and the dish guide are crystal clear, my PS3 connection is crystal clear... all the channels, not so much. The fuzzy/pixelated edges are driving me nuts... and watching sports is even worse because of the fast movement on the screen.

And this is coming from a move from DirecTV hooked up to a 5 year old 1080i, 60hz, 61" Samsung DLP, to Dish hooked up to a brand new 1080p, 120 hz, 60" Vizio LED. ...clearly the new setup SHOULD be a much better picture.
ARRRGH.

DolphinRider
Sun Oct 14th, 2012, 10:10 PM
Have them bring you a new box, I am 90% sure that is your problem. I did Trouble Shooting @ Dish for a few years. it was a known issue with the HDMI output of the boxes :)

#1Townie
Mon Oct 15th, 2012, 07:39 AM
Tell them to shove that dish up their ass until yoy get amc back. Fucking bastards i missed walking dead last night. A little angry still. Lol

Connman
Mon Oct 15th, 2012, 02:44 PM
So I called DISH again today and told them I wanted to cancel my 2-day old contract if they could not resolve the problem. The rep told me that there would be a $420 cancellation fee for any cancellation even if the problem couldn't be corrected... Uhhh, what?

I was able to get some info regarding signal strength that I had been misinformed about by the rep and installation company on Sunday. I asked what their acceptable standard is for signal strength and was told that signal strength should be at a reading of a MINIMUM of 75. Mine is currently 54.
So something is clearly amiss with the signal... but again was told that if I wanted to cancel because of that, I would still be responsible for the $420 cancellation fee... Dish and I are off to a rocky start. :mad:

Snowman
Mon Oct 15th, 2012, 03:01 PM
Get a pair of $35 rabbit ears from Radio Shack point it at Lookout Mountain... I'm getting some 50 local channels full HD. Everything else I pump through my computer. (Hulu and Netflix)

06xbss
Mon Oct 15th, 2012, 03:11 PM
This is why I no longer work in the cable/sat. installation business. I would get in trouble for taking the little extra time to make sure the install was done correctly. If any of my installs ever needed to be repaired, it was 15-24 months after I did the job.(not counting weather/customer related problems)

Connman
Mon Oct 15th, 2012, 05:09 PM
omg. So another technician just left. He starts off by adjusting all of the color settings/brightness/backlight/sharpness down to levels where you just can't see the fuzzy edges and says "is this better?" I'm like, well I can't see the fuzz, but I certainly can't watch tv with everything turned down like this.

So then he starts jacking around with the DVR settings, changes the resolution from 1080 DOWN to 720, and the picture freaking IMPROVES!, which he acknowledged. So it's gotta be a problem with the receiver, right?? ...he calls his boss who wants to talk to me. He says "So, you don't like the better picture at 720?" I said, yea it's better, but now I KNOW I'm not getting 1080! He tells me that he doesn't think there is anything wrong with the receiver and doesn't want to install a new one. WTF!!

I'm about to tell them I'll gladly pay their $400 charge to take their shit back.

#1Townie
Mon Oct 15th, 2012, 05:50 PM
This one is simple. Kill the credit card they have on file and terminate the service. Do it in writing and note wverything going on. Also write down what you were originally told and by who. Tell them they can try to claim the money but because they didn't fulfill their end of the contract and refused to provide the service that was paid for you are no longer willing to work with them. The more detailed you are the more people will listen to you.

Connman
Thu Oct 18th, 2012, 04:59 PM
Update for those who offered advice and suggestions...

I bitched and complained enough about the picture that DISH sent out a senior tech unaffiliated with the crap company that did the original install that sent two different techs who kept telling me there was nothing wrong with my picture...

The very experienced tech was there about 3 minutes and identified it as an overheating issue with the receiver (Hopper). He said there must be an internal issue with the hard drive. He covered up the fan opening and within a minute or so, you literally couldn't keep your hand on the bottom of the receiver. He replaced the receiver and ta-daa, up pops the picture I knew I should be receiving. Yay! Frustrating as hell having two techs telling me there was nothing wrong, but all's well that ends well I suppose!
Thanks!

#1Townie
Thu Oct 18th, 2012, 06:06 PM
Good for you bud. Bastards.