PDA

View Full Version : MotoGP/WSBK 2013

ThorsTwin
Wed Oct 17th, 2012, 09:21 PM
What's this bullshit I hear that SPEED TV will not televise MotoGP or WSBK next year? Anyone have any info about this? Do tell.....

tecknojoe
Wed Oct 17th, 2012, 09:33 PM
who told u that?

bluedogok
Wed Oct 17th, 2012, 11:14 PM
Speed does not have the F1 contract for next season, NBC outbid them for it. I haven't seen anything about MotoGP or WSBK for next season. The only thing that might play into that is the speculation that Speed is going away and will become Fox Sports 1 and cover all sports.

madvlad
Wed Oct 17th, 2012, 11:24 PM
Speed is lacking variety and most of what they show is either barrett jackson or Nascar. Fox/velocity are taking over

ThorsTwin
Thu Oct 18th, 2012, 07:24 AM
I read about it on wristtwisters.com. Guess I'll just buy it online if necessary.

Titus
Thu Oct 18th, 2012, 08:51 AM
Speed's coverage is pathetic too. The commentators are annoying as shit, and they have ZERO pre- and post race coverage. Whereas NASCAR qualifying gets 4 hours of coverage.

Vance
Thu Oct 18th, 2012, 09:12 AM
...Whereas NASCAR qualifying gets 4 hours of coverage.

NASCAR makes huge money here in the states not just for the races themselves but in paraphernalia associated with the drivers / teams...

GP and WSBK makes zippo money by comparison because Nicky Hayden, Ben Spies, nor Colin Edwards are by any means household names comparative to say Earnhardt, Steward, Gordon. Otherwise you'd see replica Repsol pit shirts at Walmart, or #46 stickers all over RAM trucks everywhere... or something that lets you know these people understand true racing skill.

Your common Joe has no idea who Repsol is - but they all know STP.
Your common Joe has no idea who Eni is - but they all know K&N

You have to remember that GP and WSBK was built around the European love of non-oval-track racing. The American crowd for some reason loves the simplicity of the oval track. That's why F1 racing here in the US has never gotten traction (no pun intended) either. Your average 6th grade intelligence viewer can't follow along with that many turns and changes and also grasp the complexity it takes to ride / drive those courses - so we as a motorsport nation dumbed it down for them.

TFOGGuys
Thu Oct 18th, 2012, 09:18 AM
Well, by eliminating bike coverage, they have freed up several more hours to cover that left turning redneck wreckfest...

UglyDogRacing
Thu Oct 18th, 2012, 09:33 AM
http://www.superbikeplanet.com/2012/Oct/121012j99.htm

tecknojoe
Thu Oct 18th, 2012, 10:39 AM
I think Speed is owned by nascaar

and yes they make a lot more money. Don't they get 100k+ fans at those redneck races?

a GP event gets maybe 20k?

Vance
Thu Oct 18th, 2012, 10:50 AM
I think Speed is owned by nascaar

and yes they make a lot more money. Don't they get 100k+ fans at those redneck races?

a GP event gets maybe 20k?

Here in the states yes ... but my understanding is in certain races in Europe and such they have pulled 75k+ fans for a GP race annually.

asp_125
Thu Oct 18th, 2012, 11:03 AM
Save WSBK, AMA & MotoGP! Write in now!

http://www.speedtv.com/feedback/

sprtbkbabe
Thu Oct 18th, 2012, 11:34 AM
Save WSBK, AMA & MotoGP! Write in now!

http://www.speedtv.com/feedback/ (http://www.speedtv.com/feedback/)

IDK, I HATE their US announcers and coverage. It can only get worse...

The only reason I've been staying with Direct TV is Speed. If better coverage goes to another carrier, or online, for F1/WRC/MotoGP/AMA/WSK... :king:

TransNone13
Thu Oct 18th, 2012, 11:36 AM
Well, there's always torrent. Thanks for P2P! I won't let this sort of BS keep me from watching what I want. Give me legitimate means, or I'll find my own.

WolFeYeZ
Thu Oct 18th, 2012, 11:47 AM
I always download the BBC feeds. I cant stand the idiot Speed commentators.

tecknojoe
Thu Oct 18th, 2012, 01:08 PM
Here in the states yes ... but my understanding is in certain races in Europe and such they have pulled 75k+ fans for a GP race annually.

that's what I meant, american GP events

longrider
Thu Oct 18th, 2012, 03:46 PM
Anybody notice on the MotoGp last weekend the channel bug on the screen said Fox Sports/SPEED??

Mother Goose
Thu Oct 18th, 2012, 04:03 PM
I actually hope they drop it and someone else picks it up. It's funny how Speed's "live coverage" of MotoGP always starts at 6am.... EVERY Sunday, no matter where they are racing. And for some reason, during the 4 minutes of commercials during their "live coverage", they did 5 laps. :slap:

maktastik_jr.
Thu Oct 18th, 2012, 04:17 PM
yep. we play speed 24/7 at the shop and at any given moment you look. guess was on. LEFT TURN! AND THEYRE COMIN UP ON ANOTHER LEFT TURN, GEE BOB THERE ARE NO SHORTAGE OF SURPRISES IN THIS OVAL TRACK. Jeff Gordon, how do you plan to win this race? O you know bob, im gonna go real fast and make ALOT of left turns.

Titus
Thu Oct 18th, 2012, 08:36 PM
I always download the BBC feeds. I cant stand the idiot Speed commentators.

+1. BBC or Eurosport both have great coverage. Once I accidentally downloaded motogp in Italian, watching that was pretty cool.