PDA

View Full Version : Installation of parts not purchased through the shop

Vitesse304
Thu Oct 18th, 2012, 12:28 PM
So I found a smoking deal on some shocks for my F250 and went ahead and ordered them up.

I know it's an easy job to install them. (4 Wheel Parts quoted $28.50 per shock, half hour per shock.) But I just don't have the time, or want to do it myself.

Anybody know of any shops that can do the install?

I tried some of the local shops down in Parker and some national chains, but they all won't install anything that you didn't buy through them.

TransNone13
Thu Oct 18th, 2012, 01:03 PM
Keep looking, wish I could help. That's garbage that those shops won't help you out.

jbnwc
Thu Oct 18th, 2012, 01:06 PM
Dude - If no coils(struts), it's fricken easy. I'd be willing to help you for sure with the rears. I just replaced all 4 on my Escalade - so easy. I've never messed with coils, however, but how hard could it be? :) Otherwise, I've had luck getting my own parts installed at Meineke near 470/Parker as well as Centennial Auto, which is right behind Meineke.

jbnwc
Thu Oct 18th, 2012, 01:09 PM
BTW, Rockauto.com is almost always the best price for parts. With some recent rebates, I've almost purchased parts for free.

Cornfed
Thu Oct 18th, 2012, 01:46 PM
I've never messed with coils, however, but how hard could it be? :)

Exactly, what could go wrong with 1500lbs of force in a spring pointed at your face. Brilliant.:slap:

Should just be an unbolt and bolt back in. Depending on the year its possibly front leaf springs.
Most shops wont install customers parts because if something goes wrong it ends up in a pissing match about whether its your part's fault or their labor's fault, nobody wins. But keep looking most likely some shop will install them for you. If not holler and Ill do it at home. I could use the gas money anyway.

jbnwc
Thu Oct 18th, 2012, 01:51 PM
Exactly, what could go wrong with 1500lbs of force in a spring pointed at your face. Brilliant.:slap:

Hence the smiley face! It was supposed to be read with a Jeremy Clarkson accent. I know enough that I don't want to mess with coils without the right tools.

grim
Thu Oct 18th, 2012, 01:53 PM
As long as you don't have to mess with the springs you only need 30 minutes to do all four of them it's not exactly time demanding or hard work, bolt on the top and bolt on the bottom.

Cornfed
Thu Oct 18th, 2012, 01:53 PM
Hence the smiley face! It was supposed to be read with a Jeremy Clarkson accent. I know enough that I don't want to mess with coils.

Just bustin your balls brother. :cheers:

jbnwc
Thu Oct 18th, 2012, 02:08 PM
Just bustin your balls brother. :cheers:

figured as much!

birchyboy
Thu Oct 18th, 2012, 02:16 PM
Give Keller's a call. They have a shop in SE Aurora (3/343-9200) and Parker (3/840-7500) as well. They have a $25 off $100 repair coupon as well; not sure if it would apply or not.

jbnwc
Thu Oct 18th, 2012, 03:14 PM
Give Keller's a call. They have a shop in SE Aurora (3/343-9200) and Parker (3/840-7500) as well. They have a $25 off $100 repair coupon as well; not sure if it would apply or not.

Will they install customer parts? I know I've asked the Parker store and they haven't been willing to put in my parts.

birchyboy
Thu Oct 18th, 2012, 03:22 PM
Will they install customer parts? I know I've asked the Parker store and they haven't been willing to put in my parts.

I'm not sure.

jbnwc
Thu Oct 18th, 2012, 03:44 PM
Vitesse - looks like it's probably a straightforward unbolt/bolt job. Cornfed and I can probably do it for you one of these weekends in the course of an hour or two and probably for a lot less than a shop would cost.

Vitesse304
Thu Oct 18th, 2012, 03:59 PM
Vitesse - looks like it's probably a straightforward unbolt/bolt job. Cornfed and I can probably do it for you one of these weekends in the course of an hour or two and probably for a lot less than a shop would cost.

Keller's won't do it.

I called up Meineke and they quoted me $132...I guess it's a start.

I might have to have you guys do it...what would it cost? A case of beer and some gas money?

jbnwc
Thu Oct 18th, 2012, 04:34 PM
$132 isn't bad at all for all 4. I'm happy with the work they've done for me. I was thinking $100 would about do it if I installed them. I don't drink, so beer isn't much of a payment for me!

highpsi03
Sat Oct 20th, 2012, 02:24 PM
I work at a dealership in the parts department.. Even though it pisses us parts guys off when you don't buy parts from us we still understand.. My dealership will install parts that are NOT provided by us. Either way we make money. I'm at a VW dealer but we do other cars.. Our alignment guy actually worked at chevy and ford first.. If you don't find someone else to do it we will.

modette99
Sat Oct 20th, 2012, 02:48 PM
I did my front coils overs on my Jeep GC and that was what took me a long time, it was 30 minutes a side for the rears...front 4 hours. Only because I wrenched the spring compressors by hand no air tools here...LOL Boy did I have arm pump. If I were to ever do that again I just take the coil and shock and bushings and brackets to a shop and have them air tool and be done in 5 minutes each.

birchyboy
Sun Oct 21st, 2012, 02:05 PM
Something else that might be worth checking is a local school that has a auto mechanic program. They might be willing to do it super cheap if not free.

Vitesse304
Thu Oct 25th, 2012, 02:22 PM
Ok...I'm gonna put on my big boy pants and just do the install myself.

So next question then...shock boots on or off? On my old F250 when I got new shocks installed, they said they don't install the boots because it will cause premature rusting of the rod and ruin the seal.

I'm reading positives and negatives for both...what would you do?