PDA

View Full Version : Military vehicle tax

LambeauXLIV
Tue Oct 23rd, 2012, 11:59 AM
Hopefully someone on here has experience with this...

Our legal residence is Wyoming (per DD form 2058 ), but we currently live in CO and are about to buy a car here. My thoughts were that we would pay taxes and register it in Wyoming.

Is that correct? Or am I missing something?

Also, how do I show that to a dealership?

Thanks in advance!

Zanatos
Tue Oct 23rd, 2012, 12:27 PM
Each state and military installation has its own rules for military vehicle registration. Some require military people to register their vehicles in the same state as their PCS assignment. Other places have a military exemption that says people are not required to register their vehicles locally.

The best place to get information would be your base Pass and Registration office.

As far as sales taxes, property taxes, and vehicle registration fees, I would call the Dept. of Motor Vehicles in Wyoming to find out how much you'll have to pay.

Also, be sure to call USAA for an insurance quote if you haven't already. They are a fantastic insurance company.

TransNone13
Tue Oct 23rd, 2012, 01:15 PM
Truth be told, watch them try to enforce registering it at the duty station. Doesn't happen... Title it where you want to.

LambeauXLIV
Tue Oct 23rd, 2012, 01:21 PM
The issue is, the dealership is trying to say that since we have a house in CO, we have to pay CO taxes.

I think I found the proper form (DR 2667 Nonresidence and military service exemption from specific ownership tax affidavit) to give to the dealership, although it is a little odd since we're stationed in Wyoming, not CO.

As for insurance, USAA is already what we're going with. Thanks

TransNone13
Tue Oct 23rd, 2012, 01:30 PM
Ok, that's tricky. The people I know would go out of state, buy it, then register it there. I thought that's what you meant for some reason. But I do know it's possible, they will provide you with a temp while your out of state tag comes in. That form is used to not pay the property tax or something similar, not title it out of state. Did you call the CO and WY DMV's? I would try that.

TinkerinWstuff
Tue Oct 23rd, 2012, 04:57 PM
where do you vote and pay state income tax? That's where the vehicle should be registered and taxed.

Where you work is irrelevant

LambeauXLIV
Tue Oct 23rd, 2012, 05:13 PM
vote and pay tax in WY, live in CO

Sarge
Tue Oct 23rd, 2012, 09:54 PM
You DO have to pay SALES tax based on the county you live in, regardless of where you bought it. You will NOT have to pay the annual property tax if you have PCS orders and your LES shows any other state then Colorado. Colorado wanted to charge me almost $800 for tags when I bought my Jeep. Ended up paying about $80 in the end.