PDA

View Full Version : R1 & R6 Triple??

asp_125
Fri Oct 26th, 2012, 12:48 PM
Hmm.. lies, rumors and innuendos?

http://www.asphaltandrubber.com/news/yamaha-r6-r1-three-cylinder-engine-triple/

Debuting a “crossplane” three-cylinder engine (http://www.asphaltandrubber.com/news/yamaha-three-cylinder-crossplane-concept/) at the INTERMOT (http://www.asphaltandrubber.com/tag/intermot) show, Yamaha has gotten the word out that it intends on making more inspiring motorcycles, and part of that plan includes the use of triples in its upcoming bikes.

tecknojoe
Fri Oct 26th, 2012, 01:25 PM
well they better do something cause they've been making the same damn motorcycle since 2006 :lol:

asp_125
Fri Oct 26th, 2012, 01:36 PM
Well the last couple of years seemed to favor the liter bikes as far as new technology. The middleweight 600s were more or less stagnant. Here's hoping the big 4 will come out with the next generation of supersports soon.

TransNone13
Fri Oct 26th, 2012, 01:56 PM
I think it'll be a middleweight. The R6 is even more dated than the current R1.

FZjake719
Fri Oct 26th, 2012, 02:44 PM
That'd be cool if it's more than a rumor. I'd love to hear it! And I'm sure the torque numbers will be impressive as seems common with most triples.

tecknojoe
Fri Oct 26th, 2012, 03:37 PM
I thought to myself a few times this year:

"I'd like to race something a little different, maybe a triple". well touche Yamaha

TransNone13
Fri Oct 26th, 2012, 03:38 PM
I thought to myself a few times this year:

"I'd like to race something a little different, maybe a triple". well touche Yamaha

What would be cool would be a rotary, eh eh?

tecknojoe
Fri Oct 26th, 2012, 03:42 PM
What would be cool would be a rotary, eh eh?

:lol: I just love riding things that are different for any reason. Kind of why I don't mind getting rid of the superduke and moving on to something else. Thrill of the change I guess

TransNone13
Fri Oct 26th, 2012, 03:46 PM
:lol: I just love riding things that are different for any reason. Kind of why I don't mind getting rid of the superduke and moving on to something else. Thrill of the change I guess

Why do you think I have what I have :D?

I've always wanted to have a representative of each market and engine type. The question is, is my next bike an I4, V4, I2, single, or I3?

asp_125
Fri Oct 26th, 2012, 03:54 PM
Why do you think I have what I have :D?

I've always wanted to have a representative of each market and engine type. The question is, is my next bike an I4, V4, I2, single, or I3?

Same here, a triple is the only engine configuration I haven't owned. (OK with the exception of an I6 like ChrisCBX.. and a boxer twin.. oh nevermind)

TransNone13
Fri Oct 26th, 2012, 04:45 PM
Yeah forgot about the boxer and I6. Doesn't the GOld Wing have a V-6?

tecknojoe
Fri Oct 26th, 2012, 04:52 PM

Both engines belong in a scrap yard IMO

buddahson
Fri Oct 26th, 2012, 05:04 PM
I'd like to see Yamaha use this for the next R6 here soon. They've been in need of an update for a long time. The good news is that I haven't felt the need to buy a new R6 since I got mine in 2007.

Aaron
Sat Oct 27th, 2012, 11:27 AM
At 600cc the triple won't be able to compete with the 4s, they'll need to bump displacement. Personally I'm happy with the liter bikes, but I'm probably more power-thirsty than most.

I want to own an old 750 2-stroke. My dad had one before I graced this world with my presence, and his stories of that engine's character make it sound like something I'd like to own.

Rotary might not be that unrealistic. They are compact and lightweight, and specific output is very high.

TFOGGuys
Sat Oct 27th, 2012, 11:56 AM

It's a flat six. GL1800s just beg for a supercharger...

longrider
Sat Oct 27th, 2012, 12:22 PM
Rotary might not be that unrealistic. They are compact and lightweight, and specific output is very high.

The trick would be getting the market to accept it. There were several rotary bikes is the 70s and they did not make it. Admittedly Suzuki was the only true mass market bike with the RE-5 and it only lasted 2 years. Norton made a rotary and we all know what happened to Norton, there also was the obscure Dutch company Van Veen but I dont think it ever made it out of the home country

TransNone13
Sat Oct 27th, 2012, 12:27 PM
The trick would be getting the market to accept it. There were several rotary bikes is the 70s and they did not make it. Admittedly Suzuki was the only true mass market bike with the RE-5 and it only lasted 2 years. Norton made a rotary and we all know what happened to Norton, there also was the obscure Dutch company Van Veen but I dont think it ever made it out of the home country

Pretty cool, I looked up the RE-5. With modern tech, a Wankel would be wicked :p. Imagine the RPMs? On a car they were up there...

bluedogok
Sat Oct 27th, 2012, 05:11 PM
At 600cc the triple won't be able to compete with the 4s, they'll need to bump displacement.
This Visordown article (http://www.visordown.com/motorcycle-news-new-bikes/next-yamaha-r6-and-r1-will-be-triples/21621.html) basically states they would be upped in displacement per the WSS regs like the Triumph Daytona 675 and is lobbying for a slot between the I-4's (1000) and twins (1200) in WSBK.

The RE-5 was an interesting bike, I think with improvements in technology a compact rotary could be executed much better than it was in the mid-70's.

Aaron
Sat Oct 27th, 2012, 06:03 PM
This Visordown article (http://www.visordown.com/motorcycle-news-new-bikes/next-yamaha-r6-and-r1-will-be-triples/21621.html) basically states they would be upped in displacement per the WSS regs like the Triumph Daytona 675 and is lobbying for a slot between the I-4's (1000) and twins (1200) in WSBK.

I think 1100cc would be the a sensible limit. I think it'd be a good thing for WSS, more diversity between racers.

TransNone13
Sat Oct 27th, 2012, 06:36 PM
This is big news IMO, being a Japanese manufacturer and all.