PDA

View Full Version : New use for the Hear no evil ear buds

Captain Obvious
Mon Oct 29th, 2012, 09:34 PM
Drowning out the sound of the newborn in the house.

Some days she just screams and screams and the hearing protection really helps. 2 months old last sunday.

Bikes, second priority, exercising, second priority, house projects, second priority, sleep, second priority...... you get the idea.

Good thing she is so damn cute....

rforsythe
Mon Oct 29th, 2012, 09:58 PM
Usually at that age, they scream and scream because something is wrong - they either want food, sleep, or their belly hurts. Just a thought, but if you haven't tried it yet go get some of the infant gas drops (can't remember the exact name). Both our boys had those screaming fits, but a little bit of that stuff and they would calm right down and pass out.

rybo
Mon Oct 29th, 2012, 10:55 PM
Usually at that age, they scream and scream because something is wrong - they either want food, sleep, or their belly hurts. Just a thought, but if you haven't tried it yet go get some of the infant gas drops (can't remember the exact name). Both our boys had those screaming fits, but a little bit of that stuff and they would calm right down and pass out.

What he said -

There is a name brand called "Little tummys" but if you read the active ingredient you'll find a generic for about 1/2 the cost.

I have twins - so we would get it in stereo from time to time.

:)

Captain Obvious
Mon Oct 29th, 2012, 11:08 PM
Gas drops, will be looking shortly! Thanks.

modette99
Tue Oct 30th, 2012, 10:14 AM
I will say, our baby does not scream and scream like people tried to claim it would. If she screams its because a diaper is fouled or she is hungry (this came at 2 hour intervals as a newborn although we got 8 hours sleep at night because she slept), sometimes it can be for attention now that she is getting older. If I go put her in the crib right now which is not usual for me to just do she will scream as she does not want to be in there right then...but that is for maybe 5-10 minutes at tops. However she is now almost 5 months and on a routine, she has no issue going in there at night and she sleeps for 7-9 hours now.

The one thing you got to learn is don't rush over to them if diaper is already good, and food was just given....if you do they learn that screaming will bring mom or dad to them. Bad habit to start. If she gets a little fussy I let her calm then I get her food...thus she learns being good gets a reward.

Learning to read your baby is important. I think this is a talent. For example my wife thinks her sounds are just sounds...maybe because I'm the one here all day, 5 days a week I hear a difference in tone and can most of the time know what she wants.

Just don't do what my cousin has done (hers is like 3-4 months old and they just plop the kid in front of the TV and leave it be. Very bad parents, no interaction with the baby.

As I type this my little girl wants attention so off I go.

modette99
Tue Oct 30th, 2012, 10:19 AM
We also did this:
http://www.npr.org/blogs/health/2012/04/23/151053367/swaddling-and-shushing-help-soothe-babies-after-vaccinations

There is a video called:
http://www.amazon.com/Happiest-Baby-Block-DVD/dp/0972179526/ref=sr_1_1?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1351613899&sr=1-1&keywords=happiest+baby+on+the+block+2012

We did this and it actually works, we started it right at the hospital shushing so maybe that is why we had good results. If I shush now it clicks in as if she remembers. Have issues getting it was on kickasstorrants

rforsythe
Tue Oct 30th, 2012, 10:41 AM
if you do they learn that screaming will bring mom or dad to them.

They do, but not really at two months. They aren't developed enough yet to sort out those feedback mechanisms, so at that age outright crying means something. A little fussiness happens, but screaming/crying are indicators that the little one wants you to do something for them.

Dietrich_R1
Tue Oct 30th, 2012, 10:43 AM
Just wait till they turn 5.... You'll be saying "What Motorcycle"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

rybo
Tue Oct 30th, 2012, 10:51 AM
Just wait till they turn 5.... You'll be saying "What Motorcycle"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

At three they're saying to me "where is MY motorcycle"

I think I'm in trouble.

Captain Obvious
Tue Oct 30th, 2012, 12:50 PM
They do, but not really at two months.

Yeah, everything I have read indicates that is more of a 3-5 months learning curve. And I am DEFINITELY being sensitive to the cry - pick up response. Homey don't play that.

So far, all we can figure was she just wanted to flex the pipes last night or it was some tummy issues. Was clean, wasn't interested in food. And she also seems to be one of those that hates to go to sleep so is tired and cries to stay awake. Joy. She finally fell asleep when I made my wife put her in the crib. Eventually went to sleep and was out for 4 + hours.

I did chat with a DR who said if she is clean and not sick, just listen to the music as loud as you can and it will drown out the crying. They say the crying can stress you out, you get tense, the baby senses and if feeds the crying. The music helps to break the cycle and lets you keep you relaxed as you comfort them. Let me tell you, the ear buds completely cancel out the screaming....

Captain Obvious
Tue Oct 30th, 2012, 12:52 PM
But yall keep the thoughts and tips coming, this is our first and she didn't come with a handbook. :)

Don't be surprised to see questions in the non bike section since there are so many of you with kids big and small.

modette99
Tue Oct 30th, 2012, 01:22 PM
They do, but not really at two months. They aren't developed enough yet to sort out those feedback mechanisms, so at that age outright crying means something. A little fussiness happens, but screaming/crying are indicators that the little one wants you to do something for them.

I think I went over that :dunno:

rforsythe
Tue Oct 30th, 2012, 01:36 PM
I think I went over that :dunno:

Not exactly. But no matter.

modette99
Tue Oct 30th, 2012, 01:44 PM

If she screams its because a diaper is fouled or she is hungry (this came at 2 hour intervals as a newborn although we got 8 hours sleep at night because she slept), sometimes it can be for attention now that she is getting older.

Which with a 5 month old, was implying newborn :dunno: For the start of that sentence and attention being now older.

But the whole time they learn, she knew who mom was vs. not mom...she cry for Grandma for example but was calm for mom. They know, and they are continually learning.

modette99
Tue Oct 30th, 2012, 01:48 PM

Maybe I can not related we don't have the issues the OP has mentioned.

The one time she cried for me more then 10 minutes I went and put her in her crib and came downstairs...could not hear a thing...LOL I guess blessed with big house helps matters.

rforsythe
Tue Oct 30th, 2012, 01:49 PM
Really, it's not that big of a deal. Let it go dude.

Zach929rr
Tue Oct 30th, 2012, 02:13 PM
Really, it's not that big of a deal. Let it go dude.

SHUT THE FUCK UP RALPH. HE IS RIGHT. WHY WON'T YOU ADMIT THAT?!?!

rforsythe
Tue Oct 30th, 2012, 02:28 PM
:lol:

modette99
Tue Oct 30th, 2012, 10:34 PM
MAYBE I'LL JUST SLIT ALL YOUR BABIES THROATS AND THEN EAT THEM