PDA

View Full Version : Almost Got Run Over Today

Zanatos
Wed Oct 31st, 2012, 06:06 PM
The weather has been great, so I decided to ride to work this afternoon. I was making a left turn at a traffic light and pulled up next to some chick in a Toyota Camry. (Keep in mind, I was wearing my bright red Tourmaster jacket, bright red helmet, and I had my headlights on high.)

When the light changed, I started to make my turn. Suddenly, the crazy Camry chick decided to change lanes in the middle of the turn for absolutely no reason, almost crowding me into the median.

I touched the front brake and slowed down enough to let her get in front of me. I guess she finally came out of her daydream and realized what she had done right about then because she stepped on the gas and took off as fast as she could.

tecknojoe
Wed Oct 31st, 2012, 06:16 PM
I've had this happen more times that I can count. Gotta be ready for it. Glad you didn't lose your cool.

madvlad
Wed Oct 31st, 2012, 06:24 PM
Glad it didn't go to worse man, I've been riding my friend's 675 these past few days and man going to qork at 5:45 am is a survival trick lol, a bright ass yellow bike, flashy jacket, HID light and more than visible gear and these fucks still try to kill us lol

biikChiQ
Wed Oct 31st, 2012, 07:01 PM
Glad it didn't turn out worse.

And as far as hi-viz gear or anything bright? Useless.

kawasakirob
Wed Oct 31st, 2012, 07:49 PM
Nice work avoiding that chick in the Camry. I've had similar instances but not like that imparticular. Most of my instances have been when I rip up a Mtn Pass like Berthoud and people can't judge my speed. So when I run up the inside lane they decide to come in the inside lane as well. Needless to say its a super-hairy moment depending on how fast and leaned over I am.

Bueller
Wed Oct 31st, 2012, 08:02 PM
Thanks for sharing

TransNone13
Wed Oct 31st, 2012, 09:49 PM
Glad it didn't turn out worse.

And as far as hi-viz gear or anything bright? Useless.

This is the problem I have with those vests some posts make us wear. It's a CYA thing, useless in reality.

dirkterrell
Thu Nov 1st, 2012, 07:58 AM
I had an exciting ride home earlier in the week. The first encounter came when I was sitting in the right lane, first in line at a red light with a pickup next to me. The light turns green and as I accelerate, all of a sudden some dumbass, college-age woman comes tearing across the crosswalk on a bicycle. I was able to brake enough to avoid having her plaster me by about a foot. She looked back over her shoulder and I gave her the universal signal of disapproval.

So, I travel on down the road half a mile and dumbass #2 presents himself. He's stopped in the right lane (this is Arapahoe in Boulder, 3 lanes wide, major road) to let someone out. There is another car between me and him (driven by dumbass #3). I get over into the middle lane but decide not to accelerate past dumbass #3, just in case. Sure enough, at the last second he sees dumbass #2 and whips over into the middle lane. I was ready for it, but still. Stay alert out there.

Mother Goose
Thu Nov 1st, 2012, 08:29 AM
That's when you stay next to her and kick her door. THAT will wake her up for sure.

asp_125
Thu Nov 1st, 2012, 08:38 AM
Drives me crazy that drivers cross lanes IN the turn. The other morning I was in the right lane of a double left turn lane, and the lady to my left tries to come over (and I was in a CAR) .. to make the right turn onto C470.. a mile away. Stay in your f-ing lane beeotch. There's plenty of time to accelerate ahead and merge or fall in behind.

Zanatos
Thu Nov 1st, 2012, 03:31 PM
Today's adventure happened on my way home. I was going north on Parker Road at a brisk pace in the middle lane. There was a car in the left lane ahead of me, and a truck in the right lane ahead of me.

The car signaled that it was going to move to the center lane, just as it pulled up parallel to the truck. Of course, the truck decided to get in the center lane at the same time (no signal).

I saw it coming, so I slowed down and started looking for an exit path in case the car and truck smacked together. At the last, possible moment, the drivers saw each other and abandoned the lane change.

It's amazing how many people are too lazy to turn their head 45 degrees to see if anyone is next to them before they switch lanes.

asp_125
Thu Nov 1st, 2012, 04:04 PM
It's amazing how many people are too lazy to turn their head 45 degrees to see if anyone is next to them before they switch lanes.

Quoted for troof! Shoulder checks are a thing of the past. Most drivers are sloppy, lots of them just mirror check - but most side mirrors are not aimed correctly. You don't need all three mirrors to see the view behind you; the side mirrors need to be aimed further out than a view of the side of your car.