Thu Nov 1st, 2012, 04:48 PM
Excellent find. Must repost.

That motorcycle is out of it's mind

madvlad
Thu Nov 1st, 2012, 04:58 PM
Jealous in every sense lol...

mdub
Thu Nov 1st, 2012, 05:08 PM
very nice...i wish i work'd for a motorcycle mag...

FZjake719
Thu Nov 1st, 2012, 06:08 PM
Woooowwww. That was an awesome video, thanks for sharing. Im superjelly!!

Aaron
Thu Nov 1st, 2012, 07:13 PM
It's kind of funny, they talk about holy crap 180rwhp and wheelies in 1st 2nd and 3rd and ya....That's a stock S1000RR :-)

The Black Knight
Thu Nov 1st, 2012, 09:32 PM
It's kind of funny, they talk about holy crap 180rwhp and wheelies in 1st 2nd and 3rd and ya....That's a stock S1000RR :-)
Oh give me a break man. You're BMW ain't all that. It's a damn streetbike. I guarantee you, your bike against Josh Hayes R1 would result in your bike getting raped all day and all over the racetrack.

And if you really think your bike is that fast, take it to a track day and see how you stack up against the veteran MRA racers on their 1000cc machines. I dare say you'd be hard pressed to keep up with any of them and I'm sure the guys on the 600's would rock your world as well.

You can have all the power in the world but if you can't harness the bike's potential then you're nothing more then a chump on a overpowered paper weight.

Hell if you could even beat 1:42's-1:43's laps at PMI(which is what my fastest laps was back in 2006, when my friend and I were timing each other)I'd be surprised. I was a on stock suspension 1st generation GSX-R1000 on Supercorsas with a few bolt-ons(pipe's, K&N, different sprockets). If you've never seen a racetrack, you'd be lucky to crack the 2 minute barrier at PMI, which is a horsepower track. So if the S1000 is as fast as it's supposed to be, then it's an advantage track for your bike.

madvlad
Thu Nov 1st, 2012, 09:38 PM
M1 GP R1 is a paperclip with a rocket pack, S1000rr no lol...

Jmetz
Thu Nov 1st, 2012, 09:54 PM
Sick.

Aaron
Thu Nov 1st, 2012, 11:18 PM
You don't know PMI like I do. In fact, I'd dare to say very few people truly know PMI. It takes a Ford Crown Victoria with 200hp, 200,000 miles, and the cheapest tires you can buy to really know PMI lol. And ya, it does break 2 minutes.... On the front stretch.

First rule of CSC?

FZRguy
Thu Nov 1st, 2012, 11:47 PM
Nice vid. Prolly crap my leathers if I rode that bike.

kawasakirob
Fri Nov 2nd, 2012, 02:20 AM
Love the crackling of the exhaust. That sound never gets old.

Speedin' Motorsports
Fri Nov 2nd, 2012, 07:41 AM
That R1 is amazing. I got to be in Hayes' Hot Pit at the 2010 WSBK weekend at Miller :bow:

JKOL
Fri Nov 2nd, 2012, 08:11 AM

Gotta love CSC, where ^^^ gets a response like VVV.

Oh give me a break man. You're BMW ain't all that. It's a damn streetbike. I guarantee you, your bike against Josh Hayes R1 would result in your bike getting raped all day and all over the racetrack.

And if you really think your bike is that fast, take it to a track day and see how you stack up against the veteran MRA racers on their 1000cc machines. I dare say you'd be hard pressed to keep up with any of them and I'm sure the guys on the 600's would rock your world as well.

You can have all the power in the world but if you can't harness the bike's potential then you're nothing more then a chump on a overpowered paper weight.

Hell if you could even beat 1:42's-1:43's laps at PMI(which is what my fastest laps was back in 2006, when my friend and I were timing each other)I'd be surprised. I was a on stock suspension 1st generation GSX-R1000 on Supercorsas with a few bolt-ons(pipe's, K&N, different sprockets). If you've never seen a racetrack, you'd be lucky to crack the 2 minute barrier at PMI, which is a horsepower track. So if the S1000 is as fast as it's supposed to be, then it's an advantage track for your bike.

Holy hell man, we all realize a race bike vs a street bike comparison is a silly, but I am with Aaron. I expected a race bike to have a reasonable HP advantage over a street bike aside from all the other advantages like suspension, weight, brakes, etc... A street bike with the same HP as a race bike with lots of wins to its credit? Just goes to show how loosely the term STREET bike should be used.

Mother Goose
Fri Nov 2nd, 2012, 08:33 AM
He actually said OVER 180hp to the wheel. The superbikes are pushing about 190 at the wheel in most cases. As much as I love the S1000RR, there's no way it's putting that down ATW. Plus, it's not all about HP, it's about delivery of that power. I'll bet you that if you put that R1's curve against your stock BMW, the R1 would look a lot smoother.

Matrix
Fri Nov 2nd, 2012, 08:44 AM
. As much as I love the S1000RR, there's no way it's putting that down ATW. Plus, it's not all about HP, it's about delivery of that power. I'll bet you that if you put that R1's curve against your stock BMW, the R1 would look a lot smoother.

I have seen stock BMW dyno graphs from 175HP to 180HP+. With a few mods, such as exhaust and fuel mapping, the thing is bumping 185HP easily ATW.
http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/64/13356/Motorcycle-Article/2012-BMW-S1000RR-Street-Comparison.aspx

I can't speak for any race prepped super bike but I can speak for the S1000 at the track. The thing scares the hell out of me. I have GSXR600 race bike also and there is no comparison. The S1000 does everything it can to rip my damn arms off everytime I crack it open.

Tylar
Fri Nov 2nd, 2012, 08:47 AM
"It sounds like it's going to hurt you..."

:up:

Mother Goose
Fri Nov 2nd, 2012, 08:55 AM
I have seen stock BMW dyno graphs from 175HP to 180HP+. With a few mods, such as exhaust and fuel mapping, the thing is bumping 185HP easily ATW.
http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/64/13356/Motorcycle-Article/2012-BMW-S1000RR-Street-Comparison.aspx

I can't speak for any race prepped super bike but I can speak for the S1000 at the track. The thing scares the hell out of me. I have GSXR600 race bike also and there is no comparison. The S1000 does everything it can to rip my damn arms off everytime I crack it open.
I know what it can do with some mods.... but Aaron said a stock RR. From your link, they only got 175 out of that stock one....

UglyDogRacing
Fri Nov 2nd, 2012, 09:00 AM
A stock BMW S1000RR isnt putting down 180rwhp. You can't believe everything you read in the magazines or on the net. This local bike put down 186rwhp with kit ecu, kit headgasket, full exhaust system on MR12(which that alone is worth 5+ hp). http://forums.mra-racing.org/viewtopic.php?t=15282

Mother Goose
Fri Nov 2nd, 2012, 09:10 AM
You don't know PMI like I do. In fact, I'd dare to say very few people truly know PMI. It takes a Ford Crown Victoria with 200hp, 200,000 miles, and the cheapest tires you can buy to really know PMI lol. And ya, it does break 2 minutes.... On the front stretch.

First rule of CSC?
:lol: Throwing 4 wheels around a track is a bit different than on 2 wheels.

bulldog
Fri Nov 2nd, 2012, 09:12 AM
Damn, there went my dream to buy a S1000 and win first place in every race I enter simply based on the bike ;) :lol:

Matrix
Fri Nov 2nd, 2012, 09:14 AM
A stock BMW S1000RR isnt putting down 180rwhp. You can't believe everything you read in the magazines or on the net. This local bike put down 186rwhp with kit ecu, kit headgasket, full exhaust system on MR12(which that alone is worth 5+ hp). http://forums.mra-racing.org/viewtopic.php?t=15282

As much as bikes get tested and dyno'd these days its hard to argue with facts. The 2011 model actually got a bump from 2010.
http://www.motorcycle.com/shoot-outs/2011-kawasaki-zx10r-vs-2011-bmw-s1000rr-shootout-90571.html

If your looking for something more local, check out post#74 here: http://www.cosportbikeclub.org/forums/showthread.php?t=46062&highlight=dyno&page=4

Just dynoed a new BMW 1000 rr
171.6 on our dyno !!!!
That would have been third in the dyno shootout
2012 ZX-14 180
2009 Vmax 173
2010 BMW 1000 RR 171.6

Wow !!

In any case, I think the point is being lost. Any modern day liter bike is down right scary at the track and to a comment above, not that far off from the worlds best superbikes.

UglyDogRacing
Fri Nov 2nd, 2012, 09:29 AM
As much as bikes get tested and dyno'd these days its hard to argue with facts. The 2011 model actually got a bump from 2010.
http://www.motorcycle.com/shoot-outs/2011-kawasaki-zx10r-vs-2011-bmw-s1000rr-shootout-90571.html

If your looking for something more local, check out post#74 here: http://www.cosportbikeclub.org/forums/showthread.php?t=46062&highlight=dyno&page=4

In any case, I think the point is being lost. Any modern day liter bike is down right scary at the track and to a comment above, not that far off from the worlds best superbikes.

And thats an accurate number for a stock S1000RR, which is still 5-10 more than the Jap liter bikes. Your factory AMA bikes are pushing 190 and the WSBK bikes are 200+. Biggest difference is the electronics on them.

rybo
Fri Nov 2nd, 2012, 09:31 AM

On this point I'll disagree. The differences in the parts alone are astounding, and I say this having spent some time at Miller supporting a factory team in 2010. On the evening after free practice they made a decision to buy a plane ticket for one of the team mechanics to fly across the world to pick up a set of forks they had left behind. The mechanic left SLC, met another team mate in the airport on the other end and returned the next day with the forks. The tickets cost $18K.

If these parts weren't "that far off" from the production parts, then they would have made a decision to go to the local dealership and buy a set of forks there. Heck, they could have bought a whole spare BIKE!

Electronics is a whole different story - and an expensive one at that. Look at the switch gear on Hays' bike - look at the dash. Doesn't look a whole lot like a stock R1, does it? Those parts alone are tens of thousands of dollars. If they "weren't that far off" of the stock bits, why would the team spend the money? Next you have to tune that stuff...a whole different realm of cost.

So I guess this depends on our definition of "close". Is within 10% close? 20%? I would say that today's streetbikes are within 20% of a properly prepared superbike, but I wouldn't call that close.

Beyond that is the skill of the rider. Would I go any faster on Josh's bike than I can go on my own machine? I would guess that the margin would be pretty small. The limits that most of us have are not related to the machine. Stock (off the showroom floor stock) motorcycles today are really very good, better than most of us will ever be as riders. To exploit that extra 20% you need a level of talent that most of us don't possess.

OK I've started to ramble -

Let the discussion continue!

Slo
Fri Nov 2nd, 2012, 09:55 AM
Damn, that is a beautiful bike!!!!

Matrix
Fri Nov 2nd, 2012, 10:12 AM
On this point I'll disagree. The differences in the parts alone are astounding, and I say this having spent some time at Miller supporting a factory team in 2010. On the evening after free practice they made a decision to buy a plane ticket for one of the team mechanics to fly across the world to pick up a set of forks they had left behind. The mechanic left SLC, met another team mate in the airport on the other end and returned the next day with the forks. The tickets cost $18K.

If these parts weren't "that far off" from the production parts, then they would have made a decision to go to the local dealership and buy a set of forks there. Heck, they could have bought a whole spare BIKE!

Electronics is a whole different story - and an expensive one at that. Look at the switch gear on Hays' bike - look at the dash. Doesn't look a whole lot like a stock R1, does it? Those parts alone are tens of thousands of dollars. If they "weren't that far off" of the stock bits, why would the team spend the money? Next you have to tune that stuff...a whole different realm of cost.

So I guess this depends on our definition of "close". Is within 10% close? 20%? I would say that today's streetbikes are within 20% of a properly prepared superbike, but I wouldn't call that close.

Beyond that is the skill of the rider. Would I go any faster on Josh's bike than I can go on my own machine? I would guess that the margin would be pretty small. The limits that most of us have are not related to the machine. Stock (off the showroom floor stock) motorcycles today are really very good, better than most of us will ever be as riders. To exploit that extra 20% you need a level of talent that most of us don't possess.

OK I've started to ramble -

Let the discussion continue!

All valid points and I agree. I guess I am showing my age when I compare the difference between street vs race bikes from 10 years ago to the differences today. The time it takes for advancements at the race track to roll down to the street version of the bike is now two years or less. The BMW HP4 is a great example of that concept. Factory bikes will always be a level above what can be purchased on the show room but the margin is getting smaller and smaller IMO.

Only a select few will ever get to ride a bike like Josh's, but for the rest of us, knowing that the street version of the same bike is so close, it gives us an idea of what it will be like. I can't think of any other racing type where that would be the case (cars, planes, boats, etc).

Mother Goose
Fri Nov 2nd, 2012, 10:18 AM
http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/533995_10151014533105928_745016520_n.jpg

http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/547307_10151014562070928_1459877417_n.jpg

:hump:

Mother Goose
Fri Nov 2nd, 2012, 10:25 AM
Ok, one more. :lol:

http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc6/196111_10151014576625928_808591827_n.jpg

UHATEIT
Fri Nov 2nd, 2012, 12:53 PM
"thank god I got my knee down" :)

Aaron
Fri Nov 2nd, 2012, 03:18 PM
He actually said OVER 180hp to the wheel. The superbikes are pushing about 190 at the wheel in most cases. As much as I love the S1000RR, there's no way it's putting that down ATW. Plus, it's not all about HP, it's about delivery of that power. I'll bet you that if you put that R1's curve against your stock BMW, the R1 would look a lot smoother.
I doubt it, because then he would have said 190 to the wheels, and not over 180. I hear "over 180," and equate that to being 180.1-184. Which puts the BMW within 5rwhp....stock.

And thats an accurate number for a stock S1000RR, which is still 5-10 more than the Jap liter bikes. Your factory AMA bikes are pushing 190 and the WSBK bikes are 200+. Biggest difference is the electronics on them.
Sportrider's most recent literbike shootout took a 2012, and it put down 179rwhp. That was nearly 20rwhp[/i] higher than it's nearest competitor (The ZX10R).

As for the comment about how it's got a wider powerband, the S1000RR is higher than any of it's competitor's [b]peak for the last 3,000rpm of its power curve, and it's above 170rwhp for the last 2,000. And considering a redline shift drops you less than 2,000rpm, I'd say it has a damn good power curve.

But a lot of you are missing the sarcasm, and its the reason I love sportbikes so much. You can go out, and buy fairly inexpensively, a race-spec bike. There's nothing that special about any of the racing bikes. They'll do a tune and exhaust, brakes/suspension, and then tune the bike to that particular rider. But beyond that, you can buy a very similar bike from the factory floor. That doesn't mean you, or me especially, will ever come close to being able to compete at that level of course, but the bike will be.

I will never race my S1000RR, and my riding buddies will attest that I will never even push its limits. I went riding with them over the weekend, and watched a FJR and a SV650 walk away from me around every corner. That's alright with me. I love the way it rides, I love the sounds it makes, and the acceleration makes a heroin addiction look like a vague crave for something salty. It's phenominally terrifying how fast this bike is.

FZRguy
Fri Nov 2nd, 2012, 03:38 PM
Hey, what about my FZR? It was pretty "fast" back in the day. :lol:

lngball
Fri Nov 2nd, 2012, 03:57 PM
Very cool vid. Thanks

The Black Knight
Fri Nov 2nd, 2012, 04:02 PM
I guess the S1000RR is so bad ass it should be lining up on the MotoGP grid. Because in reality a "stock" S1000RR vanquishes all...

I wonder if the S1000RR accelerates as fast as that jet bike from Torque??? Who am I kidding, a jet is no match for BMW.

:D

Mother Goose
Fri Nov 2nd, 2012, 04:20 PM
I doubt it, because then he would have said 190 to the wheels, and not over 180. I hear "over 180," and equate that to being 180.1-184. Which puts the BMW within 5rwhp....stock.

Sportrider's most recent literbike shootout took a 2012, and it put down 179rwhp. That was nearly 20rwhp[/i] higher than it's nearest competitor (The ZX10R).

As for the comment about how it's got a wider powerband, the S1000RR is higher than any of it's competitor's [B]peak for the last 3,000rpm of its power curve, and it's above 170rwhp for the last 2,000. And considering a redline shift drops you less than 2,000rpm, I'd say it has a damn good power curve.

But a lot of you are missing the sarcasm, and its the reason I love sportbikes so much. You can go out, and buy fairly inexpensively, a race-spec bike. There's nothing that special about any of the racing bikes. They'll do a tune and exhaust, brakes/suspension, and then tune the bike to that particular rider. But beyond that, you can buy a very similar bike from the factory floor. That doesn't mean you, or me especially, will ever come close to being able to compete at that level of course, but the bike will be.

I will never race my S1000RR, and my riding buddies will attest that I will never even push its limits. I went riding with them over the weekend, and watched a FJR and a SV650 walk away from me around every corner. That's alright with me. I love the way it rides, I love the sounds it makes, and the acceleration makes a heroin addiction look like a vague crave for something salty. It's phenominally terrifying how fast this bike is.
Ok, you're right. Let's all bow down to you, because apparently BMW is the end all!! :jerkoff:

Mother Goose
Fri Nov 2nd, 2012, 04:26 PM
When I posted this video, I didn't think it would turn into my dad can beat up all of your dads, but mine chooses not to because he likes to hug trees type of discussion. :dunno:

TransNone13
Fri Nov 2nd, 2012, 04:33 PM
lol @ thread

Bueller
Fri Nov 2nd, 2012, 04:38 PM
Ok, you're right. Let's all bow down to you, because apparently BMW is the end all!! :jerkoff:
This reminds me a lot like our former buddy, who was just brought back to memory in the other "remember so and so" thread.
Lee, used to own the track and the streets with that wicked GSXR Thou! :lol:

TransNone13
Fri Nov 2nd, 2012, 04:39 PM
Can get a background line so I may understand the punchline?

Mother Goose
Fri Nov 2nd, 2012, 04:42 PM
This reminds me a lot like our former buddy, who was just brought back to memory in the other "remember so and so" thread.
Lee, used to own the track and the streets with that wicked GSXR Thou! :lol:
:spit:

madvlad
Fri Nov 2nd, 2012, 05:07 PM
R1>S1000RR

TransNone13
Fri Nov 2nd, 2012, 05:07 PM
R1>S1000RR

Having a bike > not having a bike. :vamp:

madvlad
Fri Nov 2nd, 2012, 05:13 PM
Having a bike > not having a bike. :vamp:

Ouch... Well played sir, well played.

TransNone13
Fri Nov 2nd, 2012, 05:15 PM
Ouch... Well played sir, well played.

<3 https://www.lifepro.com/community/images/smilies/th_HugSmiley.gif

madvlad
Fri Nov 2nd, 2012, 05:24 PM
Over 100,000 under my belt so guess it was time to lay low for a while :D...

sag
Fri Nov 2nd, 2012, 07:59 PM
is it fawking summer yet?

rybo
Fri Nov 2nd, 2012, 09:09 PM
Hey, what about my FZR? It was pretty "fast" back in the day. :lol:

FZR400 was my first race bike and still one of my favorites.