PDA

View Full Version : Computer help please

Wrider
Sat Nov 3rd, 2012, 09:01 AM
Hey all, so I got an alert that said my hard drive was failing on my HP DV6. I restarted and tested my hard drive in BIOS, and got confirmation through both quick and long tests.

I already had a backup, but went and got a bigger external HD so that I could save everything I have (I only had the basics backed up on an old 40 gig).

So now I need to order a new HDD. Preferably 750+ GB and hopefully I can order it before my old HDD goes completely kaput I can have someone transfer everything over.

Soooo can anyone here recommend a HDD and transfer from one to another? NTFS file system btw.

tecknojoe
Sat Nov 3rd, 2012, 09:04 AM
you can buy an external hard drive case (search newegg.com), put the old hard drive in there, put the new hard drive in the comp, then manually transfer everything over. Who knows how long that old hard drive will last before u get everything off though

rforsythe
Sat Nov 3rd, 2012, 11:25 AM
I've had good luck over the years with Western Digital drives. Seagates gave me fits like crazy years ago, but have been doing better it seems. Hitachi in my laptop now and it's been good as well.

You might look into one of the SSD hybrids, they're more expensive but can really speed up the computer. Full-on SSD is the fastest, but mega $$ too.

laspariahs
Sat Nov 3rd, 2012, 11:57 AM
I've had good luck over the years with Western Digital drives. Seagates gave me fits like crazy years ago, but have been doing better it seems. Hitachi in my laptop now and it's been good as well.

You might look into one of the SSD hybrids, they're more expensive but can really speed up the computer. Full-on SSD is the fastest, but mega $$ too.

Not so much anymore you can pick up a Samsung 830 256 for 140 on sale.

TransNone13
Sat Nov 3rd, 2012, 12:06 PM
I recommend you stop using the computer until you get the replacement drive. Use Acronis True Image and clone the failing drive. Easy-PZ.

My HDD configuration is as such:

120GB SATA SSD OS Drive
240GB PCI-E SSD Game Drive
RAID 0 4 x 1TB 7200RPM SATA Storage Partition

I keep a cloned OS image at all times.

rforsythe
Sat Nov 3rd, 2012, 03:44 PM
Not so much anymore you can pick up a Samsung 830 256 for 140 on sale.

Very much so anymore, he wanted 750GB+. SSD in that capacity will likely be several hundred $$.

laspariahs
Sat Nov 3rd, 2012, 03:46 PM
Very much so anymore, he wanted 750GB+. SSD in that capacity will likely be several hundred $$.

He wants, but the fact is good SSDs aren't that expensive anymore.

TransNone13
Sat Nov 3rd, 2012, 05:21 PM
Run some SSDs in RAID then.

Wrider
Sat Nov 3rd, 2012, 06:26 PM
I don't need the speed of an SSD as much as I would want one. So can I transfer everything over including the OS? Asking because I don't have the original OS on disc. Bought the computer with the OS already on it and the manufacturer was nice enough not to include the original OS with the computer.

So brand recommendations for HDs (non-SSD) and enclosures? Is it possible to make an exact image of the old hard drive onto the new one?

TransNone13
Sat Nov 3rd, 2012, 06:58 PM
I don't need the speed of an SSD as much as I would want one. So can I transfer everything over including the OS? Asking because I don't have the original OS on disc. Bought the computer with the OS already on it and the manufacturer was nice enough not to include the original OS with the computer.

So brand recommendations for HDs (non-SSD) and enclosures? Is it possible to make an exact image of the old hard drive onto the new one?

Acronis True Image, please read, I've already given you all the tools. If it's a WD drive, you can get it free from WD.

TransNone13
Sat Nov 3rd, 2012, 07:04 PM
Also, what sort of enclosures are you looking for and why? I recommend you connect both to the motherboard and go from there. I would recommend WD, they have the best warranties. Blue is 3 yrs, Green is 2, and Black is 5.

Wrider
Sat Nov 3rd, 2012, 07:09 PM
You can connect two HDDs to a laptop motherboard?

TransNone13
Sat Nov 3rd, 2012, 07:11 PM
Depends on the model. I forgot the DV6 was a laptop, sorry. In that event does it have e-sata? A lot of new drives come with a sata to usb cable for file transfers.

TransNone13
Sat Nov 3rd, 2012, 07:18 PM
This HDD

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136835

and this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817707175

Wrider
Sat Nov 3rd, 2012, 07:33 PM
It does. Looks like with everything I need to buy though this will have to wait for next paycheck. Hopefully the HDD will hold up until then. Any idea how long a HDD lasts after you get that alert?

TransNone13
Sat Nov 3rd, 2012, 07:35 PM
It does. Looks like with everything I need to buy though this will have to wait for next paycheck. Hopefully the HDD will hold up until then. Any idea how long a HDD lasts after you get that alert?

It depends. It's a sinking feeling when your HDD shits the bed and losing all your data. I would cease using it immediately.

Wrider
Sat Nov 3rd, 2012, 08:02 PM
Eh I already backed up all of my data. The only problem here is that I don't have another computer to use. Hmmmm

TransNone13
Sat Nov 3rd, 2012, 09:13 PM
Yeah IDK what to tell you, I just wouldn't want to risk it myself.

Wrider
Mon Dec 10th, 2012, 09:41 PM
Soooo the Acronis trial version wouldn't work for me. Seeing as I bought a Western Digital HDD, I tried using their proprietary version of Acronis, and it kept saying it worked, but when rebooting, it said "blank HDD found", so obviously it didn't work.

So I tried using Macrium Reflect, it copied the 650 GB HDD onto the new 1TB GB HDD, rendering almost 350 GB useless in an unused partition, and yet still managed not to actually copy the data from the C drive.

I'm giving up on this and taking it to a pro, any recommendations for a pro in the Springs?

birchyboy
Tue Dec 11th, 2012, 06:03 AM
There might be a BIOS issue with the bigger drive depending on the age of the laptop. Have you considered putting the new hard drive in, installing from the O/S up, and then just copying over the data you need to save from your old hard drive? More work, but often times the best approach as you will be starting with a clean install.

Wrider
Tue Dec 11th, 2012, 08:22 AM
Unfortunately I can't do that. Fucking computers ship without the original OS DVD now, so you can't do a clean install unless you buy another OS. I really don't have the money to drop a couple hundred on an OS.

birchyboy
Tue Dec 11th, 2012, 08:25 AM
Unfortunately I can't do that. Fucking computers ship without the original OS DVD now, so you can't do a clean install unless you buy another OS. I really don't have the money to drop a couple hundred on an OS.

HP should make the O/S available online via their support page if you have a way to download and burn it. If you were closer I'd gladly help you. Good luck.

Wrider
Tue Dec 11th, 2012, 11:42 AM
I thought of that, but I have plenty of software on here that is registered to this computer already. E.G. I really don't want to buy Office again.