PDA

View Full Version : bike cop chasing super sport biker

AOK303
Tue Nov 6th, 2012, 03:38 PM
http://www.denverpost.com/breakingnews/ci_21940983/report-chase-that-killed-motorcycle-officer-hit-100

TransNone13
Tue Nov 6th, 2012, 05:35 PM
Sad, but they really ought not to chase in the city limits.

The GECCO
Tue Nov 6th, 2012, 05:40 PM
According to Colorado Springs police pursuit guidelines....In cases of traffic violations, officers are prohibited from anything other than a low-risk pursuit — with speeds less than 15 mph over the limit.

The speed limit on Austin Bluffs was 45 mph.

Video surveillance and other evidence helped police determine that...[officer] Tyner was about seven seconds behind, going more than 100 mph

Barbara Miller, a police spokeswoman, said Monday evening that she did not know if Tyner violated police pursuit policy and was still looking into it.

Seriously? Three months and a 68 page report later and they still can't admit the cop was violating policy?

Also, the fact that they even CONSIDERED pressing charges against the driver who turned left is absurd. Tell me ANY other case where someone who turns left in front of a bike going triple digit speeds would be charged. Running lights and siren doesn't automatically make everyone else responsible for anything that happens when the officer is operating that far out of the realm of what is considered normal, especially on a bike which, as we all know, is that much harder to see.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying the cop got what he deserved or anything even remotely close to that. I think it's horrible to lose anyone in the line of duty. That said, the amount of CYA going on in this situation is staggering.

TransNone13
Tue Nov 6th, 2012, 05:42 PM
I just finished reading about the charges that weren't filed. That's asinine...

AOK303
Tue Nov 6th, 2012, 06:36 PM
yeah thought denver was the only ones dumb enough to chase in the city limit

JKOL
Tue Nov 6th, 2012, 06:47 PM
Seriously? Three months and a 68 page report later and they still can't admit the cop was violating policy?

Also, the fact that they even CONSIDERED pressing charges against the driver who turned left is absurd. Tell me ANY other case where someone who turns left in front of a bike going triple digit speeds would be charged. Running lights and siren doesn't automatically make everyone else responsible for anything that happens when the officer is operating that far out of the realm of what is considered normal, especially on a bike which, as we all know, is that much harder to see.

I couldn't agree more if I wanted.