PDA

View Full Version : Tumbling Ammo

The Black Knight
Fri Nov 9th, 2012, 06:28 PM
Since we've had a wave of gun related threads pop up. Thought I'd throw this out there to the reloaders of the club. For those of you who re-load, do any of you tumble "loaded" ammo?? If so, why kinds of media are you using??

Now before anyone freaks out and says it's dangerous. First and foremost it's not dangerous. Stop listening to old wives tales and actually try it. This is for those of us who do tumble loaded ammo.

I tumble twice. First time, tumble empty brass with primers still in(I'm kind of OCD about this, used primers must be in before I tumble). Then tumble after completion in order to shine the brass and remove case lube. However, I don't use lube for pistol as carbides don't require it(yeah I know, you can use lube and I will at times for cases that need a serious re-sizing).

But what I'm after are what kinds of medias do you guys use for tumbling?? I've got two that I use, but looking at maybe changing to another media or trying another media just for the hell of it to see what kind of results I get.

Also FWIW, I've tumbled over 300rds of .45ACP and about the same in 9mm at the one time. My magnum rifles I only do around 50rds at a time, just because of sheer size of loaded rounds.

jcj81
Fri Nov 9th, 2012, 06:55 PM
I only reload 45 and 9 I also dont use lube so no need to tumble after.

#1Townie
Fri Nov 9th, 2012, 07:18 PM
Ive really been wanting to get into reloading for my 308s but have no real idea on where to start. I used to help my buddy reload gis grandfathers 12 gauge but it was a very simple setup.

Grant H.
Fri Nov 9th, 2012, 08:42 PM
I don't tumble loaded ammo, but I do reload.

I now wet tumble all of my dirty brass with Stainless Steel media. I deprime first, so that the tumbling can clean the primer pocket, and the brass dries out more quickly. Makes things amazing clean.

http://www.cosportbikeclub.org/forums/showthread.php?t=48205

I use Imperial Sizing Die Wax so I don't worry about cleaning reloads off beyond a quick roll on a paper towel.

Townie: If you ever want suggestions on gear, or have questions, feel free to shoot me a PM or whatever. I have been reloading for quite a few years, and load pistol and rifle, including large bore stuff that gets shot out to 1500+yds.

The Black Knight
Fri Nov 9th, 2012, 08:52 PM
I only reload 45 and 9 I also dont use lube so no need to tumble after.
I tumble pistol after reloading mainly because of just having the oils from my hands on the brass. Especially if you're using just cast bullets that lead rubs off over time and gets on the brass. So I like to tumble to clean the brass.

That being said, I only tumble loaded ammo for 15-20 minutes tops.

I don't tumble loaded ammo, but I do reload.

I now wet tumble all of my dirty brass with Stainless Steel media. I deprime first, so that the tumbling can clean the primer pocket, and the brass dries out more quickly. Makes things amazing clean.

http://www.cosportbikeclub.org/forums/showthread.php?t=48205

I use Imperial Sizing Die Wax so I don't worry about cleaning reloads off beyond a quick roll on a paper towel.

Townie: If you ever want suggestions on gear, or have questions, feel free to shoot me a PM or whatever. I have been reloading for quite a few years, and load pistol and rifle, including large bore stuff that gets shot out to 1500+yds.
See I de-prime then clean the pockets out with a primer reamer brush. I guess I never really thought of depriming to clean the primer pockets. I always hated getting the smallest of media granules in the primer pocket and then having to remove them. But makes sense to de-prime then clean.

Where do you get your stainless steel media?? I imagine it's rather pricey compared to typical medias.

Grant H.
Fri Nov 9th, 2012, 09:05 PM
I use 5 pounds of it which would be $35 plus shipping. I bought 10, but I don't think it was necessary.

The big advantage to it, is you never have to replace the media. I have run 138 loads already, since posting my initial results, and the media still looks just the same as it did. Walnut or corncob will have to be replaced every once in a while. (I don't remember how long mine would last).

I bought mine from here. (http://www.buffaloarms.com/Detail.aspx?PROD=164066)

To be completely honest, it takes some money to get into, but to me, the difference in the finished product is worth it. Clean inside the case, clean inside the primer pocket, clean on the outside.

None of my walnut media or corncob media, in a vibratory tumbler, could ever get it that clean.

If you want to try it, I know its the wrong end of the world, but I would be happy to let you see the setup, run some brass, and see what you think.

The Black Knight
Fri Nov 9th, 2012, 09:22 PM
I use 5 pounds of it which would be $35 plus shipping. I bought 10, but I don't think it was necessary.

The big advantage to it, is you never have to replace the media. I have run 138 loads already, since posting my initial results, and the media still looks just the same as it did. Walnut or corncob will have to be replaced every once in a while. (I don't remember how long mine would last).

I bought mine from here. (http://www.buffaloarms.com/Detail.aspx?PROD=164066)

To be completely honest, it takes some money to get into, but to me, the difference in the finished product is worth it. Clean inside the case, clean inside the primer pocket, clean on the outside.

None of my walnut media or corncob media, in a vibratory tumbler, could ever get it that clean.

If you want to try it, I know its the wrong end of the world, but I would be happy to let you see the setup, run some brass, and see what you think.
Thanks for the offer, I'll have to pass as I never really get that far North. And I have a pretty good idea of your methods and how you have been cleaning. My issue right now is I use a vibratory tumbler and would have to switch over to a Rotary. Something I'll have to think about for the future.

Thanks for the info though and your other thread has lots of great shots of the brass before and after. Good stuff and always useful info when it comes to re-loading.

I've been reloading for a little about 5 years now and love every minute of it. As of late, I've really ramped up my efforts to churn out the ammo. Been doing batches of 250-350rds(pistol mainly) per weekend(from start to finish) with a single stage, so it can get monotonous. It's funny, I can crank out the rifle ammo like no tomorrow. It's the pistol ammo that is tedious mainly cause of the extra step. I actually save one, as I don't crimp my pistol ammo.

Keep updating that thread, I'll keep checking it out for your before and after pics and new recipes you come up with. :up: