PDA

View Full Version : Girl dies from just ONE Oxycontin (& alcohol)

Ghosty
Thu Nov 15th, 2012, 10:02 AM
Not sure how much she drank, but just more evidence, everyone needs to be really careful with even doctor-prescribed meds. Feel sorry for the family, what a shock, and so young.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/11/15/health/deadly-dose-jackson-rummler/index.html?hpt=hp_c3

bulldog
Thu Nov 15th, 2012, 10:10 AM
Interesting from article:

"If you asked any guy on the street what the leading cause of accidental death is, they would guess gunshot or car accident," said Tom McLellan, co-founder of the Treatment Research Institute, a nonprofit organization advocating for improvements in substance abuse policies. "They would never imagine it's pharmaceutical opioids (painkillers)."

If this said heroin and alcohol would more people beleive it? Yet they are nearly the same thing! What makes Oxycontin so bad is people who take it to get high break the time release so they get the full amount fast; when really is is made to be a long lasting pain reliever.

Just another example of how things that are legal or presbribed may not be as safe as people think. Anyone every looked into how many people die from acetaminophen (Tylenol) or ruin their liver!

madvlad
Thu Nov 15th, 2012, 10:15 AM
.... Yes let's play with fire and soak the matches in gasoline, nothing will happen....

JKOL
Thu Nov 15th, 2012, 10:38 AM
Not sure how much she drank, but just more evidence, everyone needs to be really careful with even doctor-prescribed meds.

Especially when the doctor prescribed meds aren't prescribed to you by a doctor, but your cousin.

A tragedy? Sure, but I am with Damir on this one, play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

I will stick to beer and liquor. I can have plenty of fun with alcohol, I don't need to start mixing OTC painkillers and other shit with it.

bulldog
Thu Nov 15th, 2012, 10:53 AM
Especially when the doctor prescribed meds aren't prescribed to you by a doctor, but your cousin.

A tragedy? Sure, but I am with Damir on this one, play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

I will stick to beer and liquor. I can have plenty of fun with alcohol, I don't need to start mixing OTC painkillers and other shit with it.

Interesting; although it is no better though....

The World's Deadliest Drug!

Who is the king of the drug world?
Who claims 50 times more lives than all the illegal drugs combined? Who costs the American people 130 billion dollars every year to mop up it's blood-bath of human slaughter? Who destroys 1 in every 4 families in America? Who kills over 200,000 Americans each year? Is it crack? Is it cocaine? Could it be heroin?
No, the undisputed heavy-weight champion of the drug world and number one killer of Americans is KING ALCOHOL!
THANKS TO KILLER ALCOHOL . . .

There are over 18 million alcoholics in America
Cirrhosis of the liver kills over 30,000 each year and rising
50 percent of the people on welfare are due to killer alcohol
80 percent of all fire deaths are due to killer alcohol
65 percent of the drownings
22 percent of home accidents
77 percent of falls
36 percent of pedestrian accidents
65 percent of all murders
40 percent of all assaults
35 percent of all rapes
30 percent of other sex crimes
30 percent of all suicides
Over 80 percent of all arrests are linked to killer alcohol!
And one of the most disturbing statistics of all - 60 PERCENT OF ALL CHILD ABUSE IS DUE TO KILLER ALCOHOL!

START THE FLAMING TO PROTECT ALCOHOL....NOW!!!!! :lol:

JKOL
Thu Nov 15th, 2012, 11:02 AM
Interesting; although it is no better though....

Who claims 50 times more lives than all the illegal drugs combined? Who costs the American people 130 billion dollars every year to mop up it's blood-bath of human slaughter? Who destroys 1 in every 4 families in America? Who kills over 200,000 Americans each year? Is it crack? Is it cocaine? Could it be heroin?
No, the undisputed heavy-weight champion of the drug world and number one killer of Americans is KING ALCOHOL!
THANKS TO KILLER ALCOHOL . . .

There are over 18 million alcoholics in America
Cirrhosis of the liver kills over 30,000 each year and rising
50 percent of the people on welfare are due to killer alcohol
80 percent of all fire deaths are due to killer alcohol
65 percent of the drownings
22 percent of home accidents
77 percent of falls
36 percent of pedestrian accidents
65 percent of all murders
40 percent of all assaults
35 percent of all rapes
30 percent of other sex crimes
30 percent of all suicides
Over 80 percent of all arrests are linked to killer alcohol!
And one of the most disturbing statistics of all - 60 PERCENT OF ALL CHILD ABUSE IS DUE TO KILLER ALCOHOL!

START THE FLAMING TO PROTECT ALCOHOL....NOW!!!!! :lol:

I completely understand your point, and I am fully aware of the risks involved with alcohol. I am not arguing one is safer than the other. I am just surprised how cavalier some people's attitudes are toward drugs, especially in CO. I think we could all come up with a pretty lengthy list of OTC drugs that are far more dangerous than just about anything you could buy from a street corner. Just because it comes from a pharmacy doesn't mean it is any safer than something like COKE. Hell, mixing alcohol and Advil is not good for you.

bulldog
Thu Nov 15th, 2012, 11:08 AM
I completely understand your point, and I am fully aware of the risks involved with alcohol. I am not arguing one is safer than the other. I am just surprised how cavalier some people's attitudes are toward drugs, especially in CO. I think we could all come up with a pretty lengthy list of OTC drugs that are far more dangerous than just about anything you could buy from a street corner. Just because it comes from a pharmacy doesn't mean it is any safer than something like COKE. Hell, mixing alcohol and Advil is not good for you. Yeah I agree! I have this lady that sits next to me that must take 6 Tylenol a day, everyday, and then will harass me for drinking too much protein shakes and tell me how they are bad for my liver. I am 100% sure 6 Tylenol a day is worse on the liver :wtf:

CaptGoodvibes
I agree with all the problems with booze but I sure do like a couple beers now and again.

Now pot, that's a thing that will put you to sleep long before you approach toxicity levels...

madvlad
Keywords: fully aware.... Many people undermine these when it comes to abusing substances, yea sure you may have fun and yada yada but such consequences are never thought through. Gotta think through before making dumbshit choices, gotta moderate.

rforsythe
Thu Nov 15th, 2012, 11:24 AM
Yeah I agree! I have this lady that sits next to me that must take 6 Tylenol a day, everyday, and then will harass me for drinking too much protein shakes and tell me how they are bad for my liver. I am 100% sure 6 Tylenol a day is worse on the liver :wtf:

Uhh, yeah. Can't recall what the daily max is, but it's 2 at a time and I think no more than 6, but use less if you can. That's a lot of the stuff for her body to metabolize, and if she drinks alcohol on top of that... oops.

Same thing with vicodin or other pain killers that have an acetemenophen base. I see people popping those and drinking all the time, and it's effing stupid.

bulldog
Thu Nov 15th, 2012, 11:31 AM
Uhh, yeah. Can't recall what the daily max is, but it's 2 at a time and I think no more than 6, but use less if you can. That's a lot of the stuff for her body to metabolize, and if she drinks alcohol on top of that... oops.

Same thing with vicodin or other pain killers that have an acetemenophen base. I see people popping those and drinking all the time, and it's effing stupid. Her excuse is "well at least mine is FDA approved. Who knows what is in those Protein powders" :roll:

Ghosty
Thu Nov 15th, 2012, 11:52 AM

No, the undisputed heavy-weight champion of the drug world and number one killer of Americans is KING ALCOHOL! THANKS TO KILLER ALCOHOL . . .
Agreed, pure poison, and it catches up with EVERYONE. Trust me, the majority of my close friends still get drunk on a weekly basis, and no end in sight. I also use to heavily drink, but since have cut down/out lately. I pray my friends taper off over the next few years too, I want them to live long so we can grow old together, not with scirossis. Alcohol is pure poison, not preaching, I know it's fun, and I LOVE good beer, good bourbon, good mixed drinks, etc. as much as the next lifelong partier. I've just grown up quite a bit from reality. Yep, reality bites!

laspariahs
Thu Nov 15th, 2012, 12:22 PM
This is frankly why I never take them.

#1Townie
Thu Nov 15th, 2012, 01:11 PM
Those stats seem a little high. I would like to know how they came up with those numbers. Did you have a beer that day you killed someone? Yes? Oh it must be because of the alcohol.

#1Townie
Thu Nov 15th, 2012, 01:13 PM
Oh btw anything can be bad for you. Go drink two gallons of water in one sittig and see what happens. No really dont do that.

TransNone13
Thu Nov 15th, 2012, 03:40 PM
Eeeek!

Natural Selection

I said it...

fairrpe86
Thu Nov 15th, 2012, 06:46 PM

Same thing with vicodin or other pain killers that have an acetemenophen base. I see people popping those and drinking all the time, and it's effing stupid.

I believe the max daily does of acetaminophen(Tylenol) is 4g.

Erratic
Thu Nov 15th, 2012, 07:43 PM

That's correct. Your liver only produces so much glutathione at one time, which is what is used to help breakdown the by-products from breaking down acetaminophen.

rforsythe
Fri Nov 16th, 2012, 08:13 AM
Her excuse is "well at least mine is FDA approved. Who knows what is in those Protein powders" :roll:

The FDA also approves defibrillators. Perhaps suggest she tries some electroshock therapy next, since you know, it's approved? :twisted:

Ahh ok, 8 pills then. Still, I don't think it's intended for chronic daily use even below that limit.