PDA

View Full Version : Handguns

kawasakirob
Sat Nov 24th, 2012, 10:37 PM
I will shortly be in the market for a handgun to take with me in the woods for protection purposes. Thing is I know little about them. What do people normally carry for something like this and what are some good price ranges. Some recommendations that have been made were .44's and 357 revolvers. Are these good choices?

Jmetz
Sat Nov 24th, 2012, 11:15 PM
When I'm out hiking or otherwise want something small and inconspicuous, I turn to my trusty:

http://www.scannables.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/deagle-glass_l.jpg

#1Townie
Sat Nov 24th, 2012, 11:45 PM
I like my 40. I used to have a 357 mag that damn thing was loud. Lol. But really recommendations only get you so far. You should shoot a wide variety to see what fits YOU best.

Hoot
Sun Nov 25th, 2012, 12:00 AM
Glock 10mm

Big Bang that always goes bang

AOK303
Sun Nov 25th, 2012, 12:21 AM
they do sell hand guns that shoot shot gun shells and 45's

http://www.gunsamerica.com/blog/smith-wesson-governor-410-shotshell-45lc-revolver/

Wrider
Sun Nov 25th, 2012, 02:05 AM
Keep in mind those handguns shoot .45 Long Colt, and not your typical .45 like the 1911s do.

I usually carry my Taurus PT140 Millenium Pro as a sidearm when hunting or hiking in the backwoods. It's a .40 caliber, and I usually load it with Winchester white box bonded jacketed hollowpoints.

PsychoMike
Sun Nov 25th, 2012, 10:24 AM
I have an fn-x 40 for sale. Only 14 rounds through it

kawasakirob
Sun Nov 25th, 2012, 03:10 PM
Hey guys thanks for the comments. I asked around some more and I have decided to purchase a good size revolver. For what I need, and the enviornment that I will be in, this should suit me the best. Thanks again

sag
Sun Nov 25th, 2012, 03:15 PM
what if you miss 6 times though?!?

kawasakirob
Sun Nov 25th, 2012, 03:24 PM
Hahaha. That's a good possibility with me. If I miss six, I'll probably miss the next six or more as well

Clovis
Sun Nov 25th, 2012, 06:25 PM
Most police involved shootings involve the officer emptying his clip (15-17 shots). Just say'n.

Sarge
Sun Nov 25th, 2012, 06:38 PM
Bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang *check target*

Wrider
Sun Nov 25th, 2012, 07:11 PM
Bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang *reload* *poke target with gun* bang bang

Fixed

cbrjohnny
Sun Nov 25th, 2012, 07:33 PM
revolver is too heavy get a glock 40 i can hook u up with a dealer hear in granby

Hoot
Sun Nov 25th, 2012, 07:40 PM
I wanna hookup on a glock 19.

kawasakirob
Sun Nov 25th, 2012, 08:32 PM
revolver is too heavy get a glock 40 i can hook u up with a dealer hear in granby

Weight is not an issue. The reason I'm going with a revolver is I've heard more often then not, that they are more trustworthy in adverse conditions. That revolvers handle water/dirt/grime better than other types of handguns in the same conditions, making them more reliable when needed. I appreciate the offer though. Once I purchase it maybe we can hit Sulpher and shoot some rounds?

Grant H.
Sun Nov 25th, 2012, 08:35 PM
For protection from animals, the only common pistol calibers that I would consider would be .357Mag or .45ACP.

.40S&W and 9mm don't have the punch.

If you are okay with less standard pistol rounds (more costly to shoot) look at 10mm and 44mag.

A glock 20 in 10mm would be good, and isn't a revolver (more than 6 shots, faster reloads, etc).

Grant H.
Sun Nov 25th, 2012, 08:50 PM
Weight is not an issue. The reason I'm going with a revolver is I've heard more often then not, that they are more trustworthy in adverse conditions. That revolvers handle water/dirt/grime better than other types of handguns in the same conditions, making them more reliable when needed. I appreciate the offer though. Once I purchase it maybe we can hit Sulpher and shoot some rounds?

Never have heard of a glock jamming.

I don't personally shoot a lot of revolvers, because they don't fit my hands real well. I have run thousands of rounds through my glocks without a single hiccup.

#1Townie
Sun Nov 25th, 2012, 10:35 PM
For protection from animals, the only common pistol calibers that I would consider would be .357Mag or .45ACP.

.40S&W and 9mm don't have the punch.

If you are okay with less standard pistol rounds (more costly to shoot) look at 10mm and 44mag.

A glock 20 in 10mm would be good, and isn't a revolver (more than 6 shots, faster reloads, etc).

Dont think i agree with that statement. 9mm and 40 are both more then enough for normal predators typ threats. Not bear but then again a 45 wouldnt do you much for a bear unless you got some crazy shooting skills and a little luck. To be honest anything less then a decent sized rifle is just making yourself feel better. I know not a whole lot of people are into the idea of packing a rifle. I dont always carry a rifle but when im in areas that are known for bear mountain lion or bobcat i take a rifle with a side arm. Also if a big cat decides im dinner im sure there wont be much i will be able to do about. They are crazy smart and know how to be invisible.

mauser72
Sun Nov 25th, 2012, 10:39 PM
Depends on what you are trying to protect your self from if its large game your worried about then yes a revolver would be your best bet 357 or larger these are much stronger than most of the auto rounds but they pack a heavy kick making a quick fire scenario send rounds in every direction.

cbrjohnny
Mon Nov 26th, 2012, 08:39 AM

sounds good!

EVO8
Mon Nov 26th, 2012, 04:05 PM
I carry a S&W 500.

kawasakirob
Mon Nov 26th, 2012, 04:44 PM
^ I just looked at that. Dont think I can afford it. The gun I am looking at is a Ruger New Model Blackhawk 357. Does anyone have any opinions on this model? Suggestions?

The Black Knight
Mon Nov 26th, 2012, 04:48 PM
^ I just looked at that. Dont think I can afford it. The gun I am looking at is a Ruger New Model Blackhawk 357. Does anyone have any opinions on this model? Suggestions?
You can pick up an 8" model for around $800 new, if you find it for a deal. Used, I've seen them for around $600. I bought mine for around $850 and sold it for a little over $600. And if knock down is what concerns you most. You won't find anymore thunder than what the S&W500 will give you.

iquack08
Mon Nov 26th, 2012, 08:07 PM
If you really believe it's necessary then at least a .45ACP, S&W 1911. I wouldn't rely on a 9mm.

But, come on, man up! There's nothing in the woods that you need to be afraid of. I sometimes go hiking solo, at night, in the middle of nowhere - never a problem.

I do carry a whistle now though. :loop:

rforsythe
Sat Dec 1st, 2012, 10:19 AM
what if you miss 6 times though?!?

My S&W686P shoots 7. ;) If I miss that many times, the gun is also heavy enough to beat the bear to death with.