PDA

View Full Version : UFC super fights...

Ezzzzy1
Mon Nov 26th, 2012, 08:32 PM
Lots of talk about the top three guys at 170, MW and LHW. I think that the GSP/Silva is a no brainer but im not sure that Silva would step up and fight Jones.

Either way, now that there has been some ground made on the GSP/Silva fight it is really starting to sound like GSP is a princess :lol: (though not at all surprising.)

“Fight with Anderson Silva will happen when I want it to happen” - GSP

http://www.mmaopinion.co.uk/2012/11/27/gsp-fight-with-anderson-silva-will-happen-when-i-want-it-to-happen/

bulldog
Tue Nov 27th, 2012, 08:06 AM
So far the Anderson vs GSP is turning into a huge mess like the Mayweather vs Pacquiao where they can't agree on terms; mainly I think what weight to meet at. I hope it happens one day....

I have a feeling that this will be GSP's last fight anyways and then he will retire. So I bet he is trying to milk this for all he can and get the biggest payday of UFC history. Although this article seems to indicate GSP has more plans to continue fighting. I love GSP and one of my favorite fighters, but to me his fights are boring and lots of holding the opponent down. Sure makes good sense for him, but would be nice to see a banger with him again.

Captain Obvious
Tue Nov 27th, 2012, 09:40 PM
I gotta say, if the fight would happen, that would be great and I would def watch it. But if it doesn't happen, then I am not going to hold it against them.

Sure, fighters jump weight classes, but I don't EXPECT them to in order to let Dana bill it as the fight of the century... If no one in Silva's weight class can beat him, then I say let him continue to defend his belt till the day he retires and retire without a loss in the UFC.

But I would certainly watch a Silva GSP or Silva Jones fight.

madvlad
Tue Nov 27th, 2012, 09:54 PM
Jones and Silva won't happen, they both agreed on it. As far as the GSP and Silva fight it wouldn't be the fight people are expecting... They're both veterans and close to retirement, they won't risk anything. Unfortunately when you're on top you have achieved your goals and story is over. If you want exciting fights only newcomers with the thirst for the title can give you that.

bulldog
Wed Nov 28th, 2012, 08:02 AM
Jones and Silva won't happen, they both agreed on it. As far as the GSP and Silva fight it wouldn't be the fight people are expecting... They're both veterans and close to retirement, they won't risk anything. Unfortunately when you're on top you have achieved your goals and story is over. If you want exciting fights only newcomers with the thirst for the title can give you that. It will be about one thing and one thing only for them....a huge payday! Anderson has already expressed he won't fight unless it is a huge payday (hence why he won't fight Chris Weidman). Chris has never lost and is 9-0, but Weidman is just not popular enough to draw in a big criowd and the paycheck is not big enough for Anderson to take the fight. It's one of the saddest parts of UFC; they don't do fights based on rank, but based on what they think sells. I understand from UFC's viewpoint, but sucks for fighters who deserve the next title shot but don't get it because of this.

~Barn~
Wed Nov 28th, 2012, 09:51 AM
Weidman was actually scheduled to fight Tim Boetsch as a pseudo title eliminator, but he got hurt. Michael Bisping (assuming he gets past Vitor Belfort) will be next in line for a crack at the MW belt. And rightfully so. If he loses, then I could see another eliminator with him/Boetsch/Weidman.

As far as superfights go, it makes more sense to me to see JBJ and Anderson, than GSP and Anderson.

As Silva has already shown, he is easily able to fight at 205, and has wrecked former champions at that weight, as well as guys who had never previously been finished - Griffin & Bonnar.

If GSP v. Silva happens, I'll certainly watch it, but it's not as exciting a matchup to me now, as it would have been a couple years back.

bulldog
Wed Nov 28th, 2012, 10:32 AM
Like Madvlad said; Silva vs Jones will not happen

http://espn.go.com/mma/story/_/id/8463055/anderson-silva-says-moving-fight-jon-jones-happen

Quote of Silva:
"There's always been a lot of talk about me moving up to 205," said Silva, who successfully has defended his title a UFC-record 10 times. "I know (UFC president) Dana (White) has talked about it and all the fans have talked about me moving up and facing Jon Jones.
"But it's something I've never wanted. I won't be pretentious and say that I'd want to move up, especially because there are other guys in the weight class and on our team like Rafael Feijao (Cavalcante) and (Antonio Rogerio) Minotoro Nogueira, guys who could potentially face Jon Jones in the future.
"What got me this far is that I'm grounded; my weight class is 185 and I'm 37 years old. I feel I need to be honest and continue to build what I've built and that is to keep defending my belt at 185."

http://www.usatoday.com/story/gameon/2012/10/11/anderson-silva-no-way-jon-jones/1628493/

http://www.mmaweekly.com/anderson-silva-wont-be-fighting-jon-jones-future-remains-as-middleweight-champion

~Barn~
Wed Nov 28th, 2012, 11:28 AM
Those are both older statements and articles (October 4th and 11th respectively).

A couple of weeks later, Silva left the door open for a fight against JBJ acknowledging the fact that they are indeed "employees of the UFC (http://www.sherdog.com/news/news/Anderson-Silva-Leaves-Door-Open-for-Jon-Jones-Bout-We-Are-UFC-Employees-46661)".
But people talk so much, and we are UFC employees,” Silva said. “Of course, I can say that I don't want it, but what if he goes there and accepts the money that Dana will give him to take the fight? It'll be difficult.

The fact of the matter is, is that a wise person once said "Never say 'never'", and with good reason. Money is a powerful influence and plenty of we'll never fight one another comments has ultimately proven false.

My guess is that when and if Jon Jones dispatches Chael, they'll get Anderson and Jones to sign the dotted. That's my guess anyway... GSP seems far more indifferent to his wouldbe "Super Fight", and I don't blame him. But hey... "Fighters" fight for different reasons, and dominating "Champions" are a whole different breed. I don't plan on writing anything off, until the men are long-retired.

bulldog
Wed Nov 28th, 2012, 11:40 AM
:horse:

Why do I even reply :lol:

madvlad
Wed Nov 28th, 2012, 11:45 AM
Regardless of comments it wont happen lol

~Barn~
Wed Nov 28th, 2012, 11:52 AM
I'll dust off this thread if it ever happens. :p

madvlad
Fri Apr 19th, 2013, 08:17 PM
Looks like this is going to happen, just a matter of when and the talking of this fight happening is getting more and more serious

www.mmajunkie.com/news/2013/04/whats-next-for-georges-st-pierre-ufc-boss-says-it-might-be-anderson-silva