PDA

View Full Version : fuel tank foam?

675Rider
Wed Nov 28th, 2012, 07:34 PM
Anyone ever use this? I had never heard of it until recently. Foam squares to go into your tank to keep the fuel from sloshing around, theoretically providing stability when cornering.

http://stores.sportbiketrackgear.com/Detail.bok?no=13217

~Barn~
Wed Nov 28th, 2012, 07:53 PM
The word "gimmick" comes to mind. :dunno:

mdub
Wed Nov 28th, 2012, 07:58 PM
I dunno....Name A Star (http://www.starnamer.net/order.html) - TStarting at $19.95

one of the best 20 bucks i ever spent.he Most Treasured Gifts In The Universe Are Here!

madvlad
Wed Nov 28th, 2012, 08:03 PM
I dk man, that's kind of weird. I don't see a benefit on that but could be wrong

longrider
Wed Nov 28th, 2012, 08:16 PM
I have seen it used in motocross (note the brand name is evoMX) but I question the usefulness on a sportbike

Sean
Wed Nov 28th, 2012, 08:45 PM
I'm not a racer, so I don't know the answer to this, but do you need a full tank of fuel for a non=endurance race in the MRA? If you don't, it might be nice to care less fuel (less weight) and not have it slosh around. :dunno:

asp_125
Wed Nov 28th, 2012, 09:48 PM
Essentially what a car racing fuel cell is full of.

diz
Thu Nov 29th, 2012, 10:44 PM
I was wondering about this too. I haven't been able to find much evidence supporting it either way. As the fuel moves, it alters the center of mass of the bike. So, theoretically, it should help with stability, but since the mass of the fuel is relatively small in comparison to the mass of the bike + rider, it may not be noticeable.

I don't see how the foam would be able to prevent the fuel from sloshing around completely. I'm assuming it just delays the movement of the fuel by providing a large number of collision points but not sure.:dunno:

Kim-n-Dean
Mon Dec 3rd, 2012, 01:35 PM
It's a requirement for WSS, FIM, WSBK and Moto GP...

diz
Mon Dec 3rd, 2012, 10:28 PM
It's a requirement for WSS, FIM, WSBK and Moto GP...

Hmm, that's interesting. I'm going to try and find a more scientific explanation when I have some time.