PDA

View Full Version : Paint Techniques

TransNone13
Sun Dec 16th, 2012, 04:25 PM
I'm trying to use some flat paint on fiberglass for a project and was wondering how you went about prepping. Ie grit, passes, etc. There is already primer ready to sand on the fiberglass.

Thanks!

Ezzzzy1
Sun Dec 16th, 2012, 04:34 PM
What is it if you dont mind me asking?

TransNone13
Sun Dec 16th, 2012, 04:42 PM
Spare set of fiberglass for my race bike. There's been an idea I've wanted to do for a long time.

Rider
Sun Dec 16th, 2012, 04:45 PM
Be gentle and use a high grit paper you're only sanding so the paint has something to stick to if you go too deep the fibers will start popping up. More than anything you're scuffing the surface. Red scotch brite pad will suffice as well. Put a loght coat of paint on wait firbitnto tack up then put another coat see how it looks after its tacky if you like it leave it to dry or bake it. If not put another coat, don't spraybafyernits dry though it will look like shit and run. Flat paints have an additive that makes the paint flat and it makes the paint thin which runs more. Hope this helps, good luck

TransNone13
Sun Dec 16th, 2012, 04:47 PM
I've been advised 80-100, then a 220 after a prime coat. The idea I'm shooting for is to look mil-spec with the associated stencil lettering. I'd be doing the tank too which is plastic making it a little easier. Something to do over break.

Ezzzzy1
Sun Dec 16th, 2012, 04:57 PM
I've been advised 80-100, then a 220 after a prime coat. The idea I'm shooting for is to look mil-spec with the associated stencil lettering. I'd be doing the tank too which is plastic making it a little easier. Something to do over break.

I guess it really depends on the shape they are in but if they have already been primed then they have already been sanded. From my experience I would say that 80-100 is way to rough even if you are just hand sanding. Every piece of fiberglass is different though.

Nothing bad will come out of starting with a higher grit other than you may spend a little more time on it. Ultimately it will look better though.

Good ol Rider is right. You definitely do not want to go to deep. You will regret it for sure.

TransNone13
Sun Dec 16th, 2012, 04:59 PM
Good to know, I'll grab some this week. Since I haven't been using it a lot, I don't mind taking my time and doing it piece by piece. I also have some practice pieces...

TransNone13
Sun Dec 16th, 2012, 05:21 PM
Is it ok to apply oil-based paint over primer on the fiberglass? I assume it is.

spideyrdr
Tue Dec 18th, 2012, 03:44 PM
Holy shit, 80 or 100?! What are you doing, resurfacing a table top? :P

Seriously though, I just took the old paint off my upper this week using nothing but 220 grit and wet sanding. Sure it took about 2.5 hours but it was good therapy. And the number plate area was 4 layers (primer-red-primer-yellow).

If you've already got primer on the fiberglass, you seriously don't need much sanding to get it ready. I wet sanded my set when I first got it with 400 grit to scuff it a bit and the spray went down easier than your mom at a Christmas party.

iron_inc
Tue Feb 5th, 2013, 11:56 PM
Kinda late but I paint. if you still have questions pm or email me I don't mind helping out iron_inc@yahoo.com p.s. Spide is rite 80 is too rough

iron_inc
Tue Feb 5th, 2013, 11:58 PM
Oh Ya STAY AWAY FROM KRYLON

Ph03niX
Wed Feb 6th, 2013, 09:13 AM
Oh Ya STAY AWAY FROM KRYLON
Just curious. Why?

Grim2.0
Wed Feb 6th, 2013, 09:46 AM
Just curious. Why?

Because it fucking sucks, its powders up and comes off after the first time you wash it.