PDA

View Full Version : Getting a bike out of state and how to ship

UHATEIT
Tue Dec 18th, 2012, 09:01 AM
This has probably been covere don here at somepoint I'd imagine but I didn't happen to see it. This is somewhat legal/legislative I assume.

I have been interested in a couple of bikes and found them to be pretty well maintained and look great. I have thought about buying a bike online from out of state and then having it shipped.

My questions are: How hard is an out of state title transfer on a bike and how to you arrange shipping and what is the cost of that?

I have transferred car titles from out of state before but was curious how it goes with a bike. Also wanting to confirm on shipping how hard that is to work out and arrange as I have looked online and found a few companies but they all seem somewhat overpriced and I am skeptical of how well and easy a ship would be.

Any input is helpful!

tecknojoe
Tue Dec 18th, 2012, 09:09 AM
I used forward air to ship an R6 from Denver to DC. Back in 09, it cost me about 600 total. Came in a locked metal crate. My brother drained all the oil and gas and drove it to the shipping center where he locked the crate himself.

I looked recently and it seems the price may have increased a few hundred.

Unless you're buying something really rare, you should sit and wait. Shipping brings a lot of risk and unknowns to the buying process. I only did it because I knew the previous owner.

Out of state titles are easy and I think all you need to do different is get an inspection. Also make sure you get a Bill of sale with the title

asp_125
Tue Dec 18th, 2012, 09:19 AM
Ann picked up a dual sport from the midwest. For shipping we found a person on Uship.com who charged a couple of hundred bucks; it was shipped in the back of a pickup (tied and chocked properly I might add). Be sure they are bonded and insured.

I'd be more careful if it were a collectible or more expensive bike. For sure in an enclosed trailer.

Titling was not a problem. The previous owner mailed us the title & bill of sale separately. We had to take it to a Yamaha dealer to have the VIN verification done, but once done it was like plating anything else.

UHATEIT
Tue Dec 18th, 2012, 09:24 AM
A few Hundred seems to be alright. I would understand as well if it were someone you know as well. The bikes I have been looking at are on EBAY because the prices are much lower than buying from a dealership. Ebay is a better option than craigslist online since ebay often has a buyer protection on vehicles. I dont know the seller either so it would be risky having them take it to the shipping place.

I am not looking at a rare bike at all, I am actually looking to pick up a 05-06 Ninja 636 preferrably in lime green or blue with low miles and a few upgrades but also in great condition with good maintanance and tire tread so it will need basically nothing.

I have found some here but obviously not for the price of EBAY thats for sure and also the bikes in CO tend to have a lot more miles on them. It's not a rarity thing for me but a price/condition thing, so I would imagine most would tell me it's probably not worth the cost/hassle.

asp_125
Tue Dec 18th, 2012, 09:44 AM
Unless your price including shipping is much less, the hassle factor alone would put off some buyers. In our case the bike only had 60mi on it and we saved close to $1k than what local dealers were charging on the sticker.

#1Townie
Tue Dec 18th, 2012, 10:10 AM
There is a company up in fort collins that does the shipping of all the bikes for repos. Where is the bikes you are looking at? If it falls into one of the areas that they travel im sure i could get you a hell of a deal on transport.

tecknojoe
Tue Dec 18th, 2012, 10:39 AM
A few Hundred seems to be alright. I would understand as well if it were someone you know as well. The bikes I have been looking at are on EBAY because the prices are much lower than buying from a dealership. Ebay is a better option than craigslist online since ebay often has a buyer protection on vehicles. I dont know the seller either so it would be risky having them take it to the shipping place.

I am not looking at a rare bike at all, I am actually looking to pick up a 05-06 Ninja 636 preferrably in lime green or blue with low miles and a few upgrades but also in great condition with good maintanance and tire tread so it will need basically nothing.

I have found some here but obviously not for the price of EBAY thats for sure and also the bikes in CO tend to have a lot more miles on them. It's not a rarity thing for me but a price/condition thing, so I would imagine most would tell me it's probably not worth the cost/hassle.

You should be very careful about buyer protection. Just because you think you're protected doesn't mean it's going to cover everything. You may find a leak or something and ebay might tell you tough shit. Just a warning

You should be able to find a 636 easily if you look for a little while

Repsol a095
Tue Dec 18th, 2012, 11:04 AM
Uship. I use them all the time. There are couple numbers I have if u r interested. Call Robyn @9492336602.

The titling is cake. Make sure that it is notorized just in case. Take the bike and the title to DMV. You need to get a vin verification done and then they will mail you the new title.

sloridr
Tue Dec 18th, 2012, 11:23 AM
Uship. I use them all the time. There are couple numbers I have if u r interested. Call Robyn @9492336602.

The titling is cake. Make sure that it is notorized just in case. Take the bike and the title to DMV. You need to get a vin verification done and then they will mail you the new title.

^^^ This guy does this often. And knows his :poo:!

Zach929rr
Tue Dec 18th, 2012, 11:25 AM
+1 good experience with uship

UHATEIT
Tue Dec 18th, 2012, 01:35 PM
I found a nice 636 in Austin Texas, which is too far for my to really go take a 1-way flight and get it and then drive it back, its like 18-20 hours and it is also winter so the temps blow. This is the one for the reason of my thread here is because I was looking at an 06 636 with upgraded M4 exhaust, 5400 miles, great tire tread, nothing broken or dropped and in great condition for $2600. Trying to find even a 636 here in CO with that type of mileage for that price is damn near impossible. Was trying to keep my budget under $3000 including shipping for everything.

I will see what sounds good on the shipping and if it is worth it. I completely understand about someone saying things are good and then having an issue with ebay and the bike being busted or whatever. I have bought a car on ebay before but was able to pick it up in person and see everything and drive it home no shipping needed and had no worries but shipping is different.

What I may do is wait until spring when weather is good and make a ride out of it, finding a bike within a 3 day ride and just 1-way fly out and then ride it back and make a trip out of it. Otherwise my best friend lives in San Diego and flips bikes all the time he might be able to find a good one in socal and hold onto it for me and then I can work on ship or riding it back if that is the case.

bornwildnfree
Tue Dec 18th, 2012, 04:02 PM
You can also contact the racing association there in Texas and ask for a really good Kawi mechanic. That mechanic can go check out the bike for you before you buy.

DriverDave
Tue Dec 18th, 2012, 04:32 PM
I have used www.haulbikes.com (http://www.haulbikes.com) (also known as Daily Direct) on 2 separate occasions. Once for an older rare bike from a private seller on eBay that I ended up buying directly from the seller outside of eBay (using paypal). Second one was a late model used bike from a dealer. First one was in MO and second was in TN. Both were fairly easy transactions and each one cost about $600 to ship. They use 18 wheelers and ship nothing but motorcycles. If I ever need another bike shipped, I will use them again, without hesitation. No matter how you do it, buying a bike that is somewhere else will cost extra money to get it home.

kawasakirob
Sun Dec 23rd, 2012, 11:06 AM
I've bought a bike off eBay before and things have gone well. It was a *mint* ninja 250 for 1100 found in Dallas. The seller was extremely nice to talk to and no BSing. Bought it and rode it back to CO.

Also my uncle sells bikes on eBay all the time. Pretty trouble free.

Mtn Ryan
Wed Jul 24th, 2013, 04:19 PM
Can the VIN verification be performed at the DMV? If it needs to be done at a dealer do you just show up and pay something?

I got my 1993 CBR900RR out here in November (from Illinois) and it's been sitting in my garage since. Put in a new battery and got new leathers and now want to ride. I want to make this as painless as possible, I have the title in hand, the registration ran out in IL several years ago. I couldn't find much info on the CO DMV site...
Thanks,
Ryan

Generic
Wed Jul 24th, 2013, 05:00 PM
"Vin Verification Colorado" brings this up first link - Vin Verifications Lists (http://www.colorado.gov/cs/Satellite/Revenue-MV/RMV/1186648384600)

Pick your county, fee and who is close to you

Mtn Ryan
Wed Jul 24th, 2013, 05:13 PM
"Vin Verification Colorado" brings this up first link - Vin Verifications Lists (http://www.colorado.gov/cs/Satellite/Revenue-MV/RMV/1186648384600)

Pick your county, fee and who is close to you

Thank you, I'm in Denver and probably can't do both the VIN Verification and get to the DMV until next week.

Ryan

mxer
Thu Jul 25th, 2013, 11:28 AM
The VIN verification is such a scam. Don't go to the AirCare place as they will charge you 20 bucks if you can even get someone to help you. I went to Medved and they did it for me for free. Colorado's DMV site claims that police stations will do it which is FALSE. I showed up and was told they don't do it. I guess they are too busy to take 2 minutes to make sure the VIN number on the registration match that on the car.

Mtn Ryan
Fri Jul 26th, 2013, 09:13 AM
The VIN verification is such a scam. Don't go to the AirCare place as they will charge you 20 bucks if you can even get someone to help you. I went to Medved and they did it for me for free. Colorado's DMV site claims that police stations will do it which is FALSE. I showed up and was told they don't do it. I guess they are too busy to take 2 minutes to make sure the VIN number on the registration match that on the car.

Thanks, I'll call Medved today and see if I can stop by tonight or tomorrow.

And I agree, you'd think a police station would do it, seems like it would fit...

UHATEIT
Fri Jul 26th, 2013, 09:39 AM
When I originally posted this thread I had the cash (prior to buying a house and now I'm house poor) so I was looking to snag a nice low miles bike out of state and bring it here. Bikes seem to have a higher premium here than they do in say Texas or California. So I had found some good deals on an 05-06 Ninja 636 out there with low miles for around $2500-$3500, whereas around here they are going for $5000 and up. Was hoping to snag one and bring it here but didn't know what types of hassles I'd run into during registration and also what it would cost to get it here.

Airreed
Fri Jul 26th, 2013, 10:41 AM
Not sure where you live, but I can do VIN verification (Military Police). I live in SE Aurora/Centennial if you want me to help you.

Jason

Mtn Ryan
Fri Jul 26th, 2013, 11:27 AM
Not sure where you live, but I can do VIN verification (Military Police). I live in SE Aurora/Centennial if you want me to help you.

Jason

Jason,
Thanks, that's very generous of you. I live in Stapleton and will take you up on that offer tomorrow morning if you're available.
Thanks,
Ryan