PDA

View Full Version : How would you move this?

ATL
Mon Dec 31st, 2012, 12:55 PM
Hey everyone,

So I have a new job that is relocating me to Salt Lake in Utah, and I am going to have to pack up my stuff an move by February. I currently have a bunch of misc stuff such as clothes, kitchenware, furniture, tv & stereo equipment that will all need to be transported by a big U-Haul truck of some sort.

What's more- is that I have a Jeep Wrangler (built as an on & offroad hybrid, therefore it doesn't get excellent mpg). It has a trailer hitch, but I'd rather tow IT behind the U-Haul truck.

All that said, that still leaves me left guessing how to move my sportbike?

Would you guys:
A) Ride it (~8 hrs in winter weather from CO to UT)
B) Trailer it? (If so, how could I trailer both my jeep and the bike?)
C) Have it shipped or transported (if so, what's the cost and who do you recommend?)
D) Store it in storage or a friend's garage and fly back from SLC to Den to ride it back during a season with better conditions.
E) Somehow securely strap and store it INSIDE the U-Haul truck?
F) Another recommendation?

As you can probably tell, I've never moved with a sportbike- so I'd love some input... and at this time, I'm not considering selling it- as I'd rather sell the Jeep than this baby!

Thanks for the help,
-Chris

#1Townie
Mon Dec 31st, 2012, 01:10 PM
Ummmmm... load it in the U-Haul. Done.

tecknojoe
Mon Dec 31st, 2012, 01:19 PM
I moved here from DC. I had the same R6 as you, and a WR250. I got a penske truck because it had wood floors. I put 6 eye hooks in the floor and strapped the bikes down in the front of the truck. Everything else fit behind, and I put my awd car on a trailer behind the truck

http://i1129.photobucket.com/albums/m518/tecknojoe/IMG_0628.jpg

asp_125
Mon Dec 31st, 2012, 01:19 PM
You moving mattresses? Strap the bike between a couple of mattresses in the Uhaul.

Ezzzzy1
Mon Dec 31st, 2012, 01:21 PM
Hitch the bitch!

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p55/Ezzzzy1/416629079_o.jpg

http://compare.ebay.com/like/120964810150?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar

The GECCO
Mon Dec 31st, 2012, 02:30 PM
I'd put it in the Uhaul truck, but I would be very sure that the existing tie downs (if any) are VERY secure otherwise I would buy some and install them myself. I learned that one the hard way....
If you want to leave the bike in CO until better weather, I have room inside a secure shipping container at the track.

sag
Mon Dec 31st, 2012, 07:11 PM
strap it inside the truck securely, check it everytime you stop.

ATL
Mon Dec 31st, 2012, 09:52 PM
I didn't know there were straps mounts on the floor of those trucks.

I've never strapped down a bike. I assume there is a YouTube on how to do it.

Do all U-Hauls have those floor mounting points or hook spots?
-Chris

tecknojoe
Tue Jan 1st, 2013, 02:30 PM
no I don't think many of them have floor mounts, some trucks have them on the side, which I didnt feel was secure. So I screwed hooks into the floor of the penske truck

Captain Obvious
Tue Jan 1st, 2013, 05:17 PM
Uhaul truck. Used 3 straps on each side of the bike to the wall and pack soft stuff around the bike.

I did test the wall boards before I rented the truck.

I drove from VA to FL during relocation with the bike in the back like that. If you strap it securely, it will be secure.

3point5
Tue Jan 1st, 2013, 10:27 PM
Cool man!! I own a loft out there and if Denver didnt exist, I would move back in an instant - great people, low crime, low poverty, good roads, close skiing, good public transportation, good food/drinks - hit up squaters and have a 'devastator - (I doubt they are still brewing it), any plans to go out to Miller Motorsports?…I miss SLC but I have alot of family and friend here.

where are you working?

I would put it in the back of the Uhaul, tie it in, wrap it in blankets and put big stuff all around it…

ATL
Fri Jan 4th, 2013, 01:59 PM
I moved here from DC. I had the same R6 as you, and a WR250. I got a penske truck because it had wood floors. I put 6 eye hooks in the floor and strapped the bikes down in the front of the truck. Everything else fit behind, and I put my awd car on a trailer behind the truck

http://i1129.photobucket.com/albums/m518/tecknojoe/IMG_0628.jpg

Nice!

From clicking around online, a Penske truck with my size + bike + trailer for car looks to cost around $1,000, while a comparable U-Haul looks to cost around $760.

From your experience, do all Penske Trucks have wood floors? Those eye-hooks look pretty enticing as you can place them anywhere.

I'll probably need to purchase the "canyon-dancer" straps to tie down the bike safely.

Thanks for the words of advice everyone!
-Chris

tecknojoe
Fri Jan 4th, 2013, 02:55 PM
Nice!

From clicking around online, a Penske truck with my size + bike + trailer for car looks to cost around $1,000, while a comparable U-Haul looks to cost around $760.

From your experience, do all Penske Trucks have wood floors? Those eye-hooks look pretty enticing as you can place them anywhere.

I'll probably need to purchase the "canyon-dancer" straps to tie down the bike safely.

Thanks for the words of advice everyone!
-Chris

Go to the place you're actually gonna get it from and make sure it has wood floors. Also, simply tell penske that uhaul has it for much less. I did that back and forth about 3 times before I finally paid, they both came down in price by hundreds

asp_125
Fri Jan 4th, 2013, 03:34 PM
If you don't have a wood floor to bolt into .. make a wheel chock from 2x4s spanning the width of the truck. Kind of like this:
http://www.tacomaworld.com/gallery/data/500/medium/SDC107071.JPG

Most of the box vans have wooden side rails you can attach anchor points to secure the load from shifting; bolt some eyebolts to those.

ATL
Wed Jan 9th, 2013, 01:25 PM
If you don't have a wood floor to bolt into .. make a wheel chock from 2x4s spanning the width of the truck. Kind of like this:
http://www.tacomaworld.com/gallery/data/500/medium/SDC107071.JPG

Most of the box vans have wooden side rails you can attach anchor points to secure the load from shifting; bolt some eyebolts to those.

That's a good call... Where is the best place to pick up cut-to-spec 2x4's? Home Depot?

I'm actually really nervous about moving with the bike inside the truck.

Could I bribe someone with experience with a case of beer or something comparable to help me load and secure it day before the move??? Jan 30-31 or Feb 1, 2 or 3?

Would anyone be willing to lend a hand?
-Chris

Grant H.
Mon Jan 21st, 2013, 03:15 PM
That's a good call... Where is the best place to pick up cut-to-spec 2x4's? Home Depot?

I'm actually really nervous about moving with the bike inside the truck.

Could I bribe someone with experience with a case of beer or something comparable to help me load and secure it day before the move??? Jan 30-31 or Feb 1, 2 or 3?

Would anyone be willing to lend a hand?
-Chris

For the cost of 2x4's and the cutting from HD, I would suggest spending an extra $30 and getting one of these:

(picture since Harbor Freights site is broken)
http://www.harborfreight.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/small_image/160x/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/i/m/image_21221.jpg

http://www.harborfreight.com/motorcycle-wheel-chock-69026.html

We use one of these on the bike trailer all the time. Holds the bike really well, and with the addition of a canyon dancer and some straps, it is very stable.

You could still mount it to 2x4's the width of the truck to locate it, but I would probably go with a wood floored truck and screw it in. Add the screw eyes as mentioned before, and go to town.

sps-r1rider
Mon Jan 21st, 2013, 07:53 PM
I moved from MA back to CO in a Budget Van with a bike in the back and my stuff packed around it. I didn't have any furniture.

CaptGoodvibes
Mon Jan 21st, 2013, 08:52 PM
Hand saw? ;)

ATL
Wed Jan 23rd, 2013, 12:25 PM
For the cost of 2x4's and the cutting from HD, I would suggest spending an extra $30 and getting one of these:

(picture since Harbor Freights site is broken)
http://www.harborfreight.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/small_image/160x/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/i/m/image_21221.jpg

http://www.harborfreight.com/motorcycle-wheel-chock-69026.html

We use one of these on the bike trailer all the time. Holds the bike really well, and with the addition of a canyon dancer and some straps, it is very stable.

You could still mount it to 2x4's the width of the truck to locate it, but I would probably go with a wood floored truck and screw it in. Add the screw eyes as mentioned before, and go to town.
I think I'm going to pick one of those up today.

Hopefully it doesn't bang/displace/warp the dual front brake rotors with a too-snug fit while it holds. I assume it should be okay.

So besides the wheel chock, should I be set with 2-4 eyehooks and 4-6 tie-downs?

Thank you guys for walking me through this. I'd much rather ask for detailed explanation for the "stupid" questions than find my bike on its side in the back of the truck!

T-minus 8 days!
-Chris

asp_125
Wed Jan 23rd, 2013, 12:30 PM
I have used that exact chock, no problems with rotor interference.

ATL
Mon Jan 28th, 2013, 11:06 PM
Go to the place you're actually gonna get it from and make sure it has wood floors. Also, simply tell penske that uhaul has it for much less. I did that back and forth about 3 times before I finally paid, they both came down in price by hundreds

Holy sh;t, I had no idea how cutthroat the rental truck business is. It reminds me of the 90's early 2000's airlines!

I ended up going with Penske for $360 out the door!
Wood floors and all, so I'm going to grab some eye hooks along with that front wheel chock and about 3 - 4 ratchet straps!

Thanks everyone. You've saved me mega $$$, and even more stress!
-Chris

ATL
Fri Feb 1st, 2013, 03:27 PM
So the bike is mounted securely in the moving truck. Will post pictures after we're done.

Also, do you guys barely deflate the front tire inside the chock to prevent too much pressure from bouncing to cause a "snake bite" tear?

Thanks!
-Chris

Wrider
Fri Feb 1st, 2013, 03:32 PM
Leave it at full pressure. The lower the pressure, the more likely a pinch flat.

tecknojoe
Fri Feb 1st, 2013, 03:38 PM
Holy sh;t, I had no idea how cutthroat the rental truck business is. It reminds me of the 90's early 2000's airlines!

I ended up going with Penske for $360 out the door!
Wood floors and all, so I'm going to grab some eye hooks along with that front wheel chock and about 3 - 4 ratchet straps!

Thanks everyone. You've saved me mega $$$, and even more stress!
-Chris

Nice, glad you got it figured out

JKOL
Fri Feb 1st, 2013, 03:54 PM
Leave it at full pressure. The lower the pressure, the more likely a pinch flat.

:imwithstupid:

ATL
Mon Feb 4th, 2013, 05:47 PM
I arrived in SLC today and unloaded the bike to see that she survived no problem. Thank you guys very much for the help!

The only snag I ran into was that the strap that secured one side of the triple clamps ended up needing to be tightened up such that the ratchet mechanism itself was inside the fairings afront the exhaust. There was enough room to expand the ratchet to release it, so I just cut one of the ($3-4) straps. No big deal.

That front wheel chock did excellent, and I would reccomend it to anyone!

My biggest problem now is I need to find some Utah riding similar to HW-7 near Lyons!!!

Thanks again all!
-Chris

madvlad
Mon Feb 4th, 2013, 06:00 PM
I arrived in SLC today and unloaded the bike to see that she survived no problem. Thank you guys very much for the help!

The only snag I ran into was that the strap that secured one side of the triple clamps ended up needing to be tightened up such that the ratchet mechanism itself was inside the fairings afront the exhaust. There was enough room to expand the ratchet to release it, so I just cut one of the ($3-4) straps. No big deal.

That front wheel chock did excellent, and I would reccomend it to anyone!

My biggest problem now is I need to find some Utah riding similar to HW-7 near Lyons!!!

Thanks again all!
-Chris

That's what Miller is for man :devious:

Repsol a095
Mon Feb 4th, 2013, 06:01 PM
It's called Miller. Way better than highway 7. Enjoy!

ATL
Sat Mar 2nd, 2013, 05:44 PM
Thanks for the suggestions of Miller Motorsports, however I'm currently looking for routes I can ride for free. I don't have the disposable income (at the moment) to ride on the track and pickup racing leathers, etc.

I'm hoping someone can recommend some good routes in some fun canyons.

Anyone have Utah recommendations?? I know Colorado is simply chock full of incredible riding!

-Chris

TEC 2.0
Sat Mar 2nd, 2013, 06:11 PM
Thanks for the suggestions of Miller Motorsports, however I'm currently looking for routes I can ride for free. I don't have the disposable income (at the moment) to ride on the track and pickup racing leathers, etc.

Anyone have Utah recommendations?? I know Colorado is simply chock full of incredible riding!

-Chris

In the future, you'd be better off using cam straps when transporting your bike, they don't loosen like ratchet straps.

Drano
Sat Mar 2nd, 2013, 10:16 PM

-Chris

Lucky son of a gun! I grew up in Utah, but I didn't take up riding until 2011. This summer I'm riding to visit my parents who live in Lehi and I'm going to gorge myself on all the canyon goodness that is to be had there! I'm envious!

There are so many terrific rides in Utah! Some may be a distance away from the Salt Lake and Utah Valleys but they'll be well worth it. http://canyonchasers.com/maps/#Utah

For starters you can hit:
Wolfcreek Pass!!! (Only open in the summer but its considered the place to be if you ride. :D)
Little & Big Cottonwood Canyons
Millcreek Canyon
East Canyon
Immigration Canyon
American Fork Canyon up through the Alpine Scenic route.
Spanish Fork Canyon
You can also combine some of these roads into part of a larger ride called the "Energy Loop". http://www.utahsba.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=16503&start=60

Out in Eastern Utah you can take U.S. 191 from Vernal to Manila, or head up to Flaming Gorge Reservoir and Dutch John. I used to live up there for a couple years and there are some fun roads.

I have little information about Southern Utah. For some riders there are roads out there that are closely guarded secrets. Either way, you will not lack for places to ride! Enjoy!

Jim_Vess
Sat Mar 2nd, 2013, 10:40 PM
http://www.butlermaps.com/Motorcycle-Road-Maps/2/Utah-Map

rforsythe
Sun Mar 3rd, 2013, 03:19 AM
In the future, you'd be better off using cam straps when transporting your bike, they don't loosen like ratchet straps.

You have that backwards, cam straps can loosen over time whereas ratchet straps have a mechanical lock preventing that from happening. That can be solved however by tying the free end back under the buckle so that the tension is just pulling it tighter against itself.

asp_125
Sun Mar 3rd, 2013, 11:37 AM
There are so many terrific rides in Utah! Some may be a distance away from the Salt Lake and Utah Valleys but they'll be well worth it. http://canyonchasers.com/maps/#Utah..

:up: I rode with a couple of the Canyonchasers a few years back, we had a great weekend doing some of those roads.