PDA

View Full Version : 30 Rides in 30 Days

FZRguy
Thu Jan 3rd, 2013, 09:25 PM
Fitness Challenge Number 2: For those that don't run, ride a bicycle 300 miles in the month of January.

1. You can ride indoors or outdoors.

2. Slice it up any way you want...ride daily or ride 50 miles on the weekend.

3. Post up your miles at least weekly.

4. To encourage you, the person with the most miles for January gets a $20 gift cert to the moto or bike store of your choice. That means you have to beat me. ;) I'm at 27 miles as of tonight.

Hoot
Thu Jan 3rd, 2013, 10:31 PM
Can be skinny tire? Gah... Now I gotta break out the trainer. Does a tow along with kids count for double miles? Lol dunno if I'll be able to swing both.

10 mile ride and 1 mile run a day. Hmmm... If any of you bastards tries to make this a month long tri I'm out, I'm not swimming in winter. :)

FZRguy
Thu Jan 3rd, 2013, 10:37 PM
Skinny tire, fat tire, any tire. You do a tow-along in CO and you can use a factor of 1.5. Normally would say for MTB too, but since Sean is riding in mid-50's and we are riding in sub-freezing, I think even there.

Captain Obvious
Fri Jan 4th, 2013, 09:54 PM
SOB! Lets do this in Feb or when it is warmer! And lets make March swimming month.

Captain Obvious
Fri Jan 4th, 2013, 09:55 PM
Hmmm... If any of you bastards tries to make this a month long tri I'm out, I'm not swimming in winter. :)

Pu$$y.

Get a wetsuit and pee in it. Be surprised how warm you will stay.

FZRguy
Sat Jan 5th, 2013, 07:54 PM
54 miles as of today. Planning on riding Lookout Mtn. on Monday if anyone wants to join.

cdbouncer
Mon Jan 7th, 2013, 06:51 AM
Does my cold weather option count? 100 miles on my spin bike as of this morning....

FZRguy
Mon Jan 7th, 2013, 11:53 AM
Let's say at least half your miles have to be outside. Part of the challenge here is riding in the cold. I froze my arse off on Saturday for 12 miles. Heading out now for at least 25.

cdbouncer
Tue Jan 8th, 2013, 06:34 AM
Bah have fun! I'm a fair weather rider motor or pedal...shiver shiver!

Grant H.
Tue Jan 8th, 2013, 10:23 AM
No way I am keeping up with you guys, but I put in 2 miles on the recumbent bike last night.

Small steps for a seriously out of shape guy like me. Consistent small steps.

(Mostly started because snowboarding on sunday kicked my ass, and I want to be able to ride with friends and family. That and its time to not be a fat ass anymore...).

sprtbkbabe
Tue Jan 8th, 2013, 10:51 AM
Well, I got in 13 miles yesterday while it was nice out and should have another 20 in this afternoon. I'll take advtg of this 50F as much as I can.

I'd think I'm up to 45 indoors already.

FZRguy
Tue Jan 8th, 2013, 12:55 PM
Yesterday was pretty nice...still cold after three hours. I got 71 miles outside and 24 inside for the month. Taking a break to play in the garage today.

FZRguy
Sun Jan 20th, 2013, 10:46 AM
165 miles outside
55 miles indoors

bulldog
Mon Jan 21st, 2013, 07:49 AM
165 miles outside
55 miles indoors Wow, that is amazing :applause:

What are you now John, like 8% or less body fat?

bulldog
Mon Jan 21st, 2013, 02:05 PM
John, I found a guy that cycles more than you; was on some weird show called "My Strange Addiction". Claim to do about 6 hours a day:shocked:

55-year-old Tom has been addicted to cycling for more than 25 years. He peddles at least 6 hours a day, seven days a week. He rides his bike at home, outside and even in his office as he works. The constant stress from cycling has made it painful for Tom to stand and he can barely walk. Doctors have warned him about the dangers of his addiction, but he refuses listen. Will Tom be able to curb his cycling before he pushes his body too far?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7dVO7xikZ4

Wish it were a happy ending, but show claimed his hips were trashed and he wouldn't take 3 months off of cycling to get the surgery he needs and can't walk 100 meters without being in pain :(

FZRguy
Mon Jan 21st, 2013, 09:37 PM
6-7% these days.

Yeah, that's just a bit extreme. A pro cyclist will ride around 15k per year. I did 3,543 last year. Most of my miles are for basic transpo.

bulldog
Tue Jan 22nd, 2013, 07:53 AM
6-7% these days.

Yeah, that's just a bit extreme. A pro cyclist will ride around 15k per year. I did 3,543 last year. Most of my miles are for basic transpo. Wow man, 6-7% is amazing man :up:

Were these stats really just from the beginning of the this month? :o
165 miles outside
55 miles indoors

Yeah guy was too extreme because usually cycling is one of the least impact sports. Just goes to show anything can be bad if you overdo it.

FZRguy
Tue Jan 22nd, 2013, 08:28 PM
Were these stats really just from the beginning of the this month? :o
165 miles outside
55 miles indoors

Of course. Really not that much considering a pro roadie averages 1200 per month.

sprtbkbabe
Wed Jan 23rd, 2013, 08:41 AM
John you'll win your own challenge in January. :lol:

So far, I'm up to 65 indoors. As of the last two days, I've put in another 52 miles outdoors and total 133 for the month about now.

IDK if I'll make up that 102 miles difference by end of month, but it's an attempt

bulldog
Wed Jan 23rd, 2013, 08:54 AM
Of course. Really not that much considering a pro roadie averages 1200 per month. Still amazing to me John as I know how much time and dedication that takes :up:

You can be my "cardio" idol :D I only do about 4-5 miles a week of running (well eliptical at high resistance and high incline), but that burns about 650-700 calories a week and enough to keep my gut in check. Of course along with at least a hour of weight training.

FZjake719
Wed Jan 23rd, 2013, 08:54 AM
Does BMX count? lol

I ride a between 3-6 hrs every other day....

You are all nuts, definitely gives me motivation. Hats off to all of you!

sprtbkbabe
Thu Jan 31st, 2013, 10:32 AM
Well, my final miles for the month made it up to 216 since I got an 18 miler in before the snow..

If anything this pushed me to ride more often than hit the gym this month. Lets do this again for February :up:

FZRguy
Fri Feb 1st, 2013, 03:05 PM
Well, my final miles for the month made it up to 216 since I got an 18 miler in before the snow..

If anything this pushed me to ride more often than hit the gym this month. Lets do this again for February :up:

You'll be ready for our Pikes Peak ride...probably June before MS. I rode a total of 360 miles with 55 of it indoors. Some weather chanlleges with the cold temps but it gets better from here. Bring on the light March 10!