PDA

View Full Version : Any electricians?

Hoot
Wed Jan 23rd, 2013, 09:36 AM
Just replaced all of my smoke detectors after a 3am fire drill but none of the new units are indicating they are connected to AC power via their green LED lights, just flashing for standby (9V backup battery).I replaced the quick connectors on each one. When I test the units they all go off. I checked and have power from red wire.

Any guidance?

rforsythe
Wed Jan 23rd, 2013, 09:56 AM
Any guidance?

Yeah, you fucked it up.

Hoot
Wed Jan 23rd, 2013, 09:58 AM
Now that I have fucked it up. Anyone know how I can fix my fuck up?

dapper
Wed Jan 23rd, 2013, 10:07 AM
Add 9v batteries. (Dont know, but interested in the answer)

teamextreme
Wed Jan 23rd, 2013, 10:10 AM
I believe you want to unfuckeritup.
There should be a black, red and white wire coming out of the ceiling box for each detector. The black and white wire is the power to the detector. The red wire acts as a signal wire to connect all of them together so if one goes off, they all go off. If you're getting power on the red wire there's either something wrong with your house wiring, or one of the detectors is in alarm. There should be 120v between the black and white. If not, check your breakers. Did you connect the yellow lead from the detector to the red wire, and black to black, white to white?

Hoot
Wed Jan 23rd, 2013, 10:36 AM
My quick connect wires were red, black and white. I connected them like color to like color with twist connectors. Checked the breakers, nothing labeled was switched off. I'll go check voltage between black white.

Hoot
Wed Jan 23rd, 2013, 10:58 AM
Checked voltage, nothing across white and black. Went back to the breaker box since there was the one unmarked one flipped off. Voila. What I don't get is why the hell anyone would turn off that breaker?

Scary stuff. Test your smoke detectors weekly kiddos.

rforsythe
Wed Jan 23rd, 2013, 12:27 PM
Checked voltage, nothing across white and black. Went back to the breaker box since there was the one unmarked one flipped off. Voila. What I don't get is why the hell anyone would turn off that breaker?

Scary stuff. Test your smoke detectors weekly kiddos.

You sure you didn't accidentally short something and pop the breaker in the process of your swap out?

teamextreme
Wed Jan 23rd, 2013, 01:00 PM
You sure you didn't accidentally short something and pop the breaker in the process of your swap out?

This ^
You probably inadvertantly tripped the breaker when you swapped out the detectors, which means you did this hot. Impressive for a DIY, or clueless, one of the two :doublefinger: Most detectors have a yellow lead, if your's was red, it goes to the red wire, you connected it correctly.

Hoot
Wed Jan 23rd, 2013, 01:30 PM
They've always been like his, I noticed it when changing out the batterie when we first moved into the house. I figured they tested like they should, but installing the new ones it didn't make sense that they wouldn't be lit. Thanks again for the help. All green, good to go. The old detectors don't even have a date on them, probably original to the house circa 1993.