PDA

View Full Version : The Hobbit

Ghosty
Thu Jan 24th, 2013, 10:03 AM
(yes TL;DR, sorry for the novella)

** Some Spoilers **

It was ridiculous! CRYSTAL CLEAR and EPIC 3D! Just saw it last night finally, I hope ALL movies are done at this level of resolution and quality, it was eye-popping amazing! You could tell the 48FPS is amazing. I saw it at the iMax 3D in Orchard AMC-12 north of Denver. Theater was almost empty, got to sit in exact center. Sound was sick and loud too, surround channeling was done right with birds flying behind you, dwarves breathing behind you, etc., lol!

I don't know if it would be my favorite, since I love all four equally. I have favorite parts for sure, like one absolute favorite part is in Fellowship, the entire Mines of Moria sequence, followed by Gandalf fighting the Balrog in the beginning of the TwoTowers, EPIC! The CG was ridiculous. When I saw Avatar I thought it was the most epic and beautiful crystal clear 3D and CD. Then I saw Prometheus and I thought they took it to another level. Then I saw THIS, and I my eyes were popping out of my head it was so clear. The CG was probably the highest quality I've ever seen. And the live action was so clear, you could count every single pore on Bilbo's nose on close up shots. The shading, lighting, textures, etc. was incredible. Gollum was UNREAL! I saw an interview where Jackson said they used a ton more data points for animating Gollums face this time, it shows! As if it wasn't crazy enough in LotR, now it's better. Same with the Goblin King, WOW!!!

I haven't read Hobbit since I was in highschool, so I couldn't remember shit. There was a bunch of stuff that I need to check now, I'm excited to read it again finally! Of course there was the usual "unrealistic remarkable" plot hole sequences which ALWAYS PISS ME OFF, even if this movie rocked. I fucking hate when filmmakers do this shit. The entire company of Dwarves falls like 1,000 feet bouncing off rock walls and shit a dozen times, then all "crash" softly and come out alive at the bottom. Then the entire deals where they can run across toothpick sized wooden bridges and ladders like in a Mario videogame and always make it perfectly alive. Can you at least make it SEMI-believable, AT LEAST?! Not at the level of plot hole that it becomes total magic if they all had "Rings of Levitation" (AD&D roots, lol). Then when the stone giants are flinging them around and they all hang onto sheer rock with magnetic superglue boots or something, and still come out fine and non one falls into the brink, ugh. Just do some SIMPLE THINGS in the story to make it seem more real than that! That's all I ask. Ok, that's my only gripes pretty much. I would see it again!

Mike, I wonder if Bombadil will be in the 2nd chapter? Even if it doesn't fit the sequence. I'm actually curious how they can even fill two 3-hour movies with what's left in the book. Obviously the entire part with spiders in Mirkwood Forest will be a main part of chapter-2. I probably need to read Silmarillian. He's probably going to interject more stuff not in the Hobbit, for backstory like Cody mentioned.

Only downside, you go home after iMax, and look at your TV and sound system, and just frown in disappointment, hahaa.

bulldog
Thu Jan 24th, 2013, 10:19 AM

** Some Spoilers **

It was ridiculous! CRYSTAL CLEAR and EPIC 3D! Just saw it last night finally, I hope ALL movies are done at this level of resolution and quality, it was eye-popping amazing! You could tell the 48FPS is amazing. I saw it at the iMax 3D in Orchard AMC-12 north of Denver. Theater was almost empty, got to sit in exact center. Sound was sick and loud too, surround channeling was done right with birds flying behind you, dwarves breathing behind you, etc., lol! Now I heard the 48FPS was a special showing, so glad to hear it is at that Imax still cuz I thought I missed it.

Now if I could get my girl to go to a long movie I'd be good. Although I am known to be the guy to go to movies alone ;)

UglyDogRacing
Thu Jan 24th, 2013, 10:47 AM

Mike, I wonder if Bombadil will be in the 2nd chapter? Even if it doesn't fit the sequence. I'm actually curious how they can even fill two 3-hour movies with what's left in the book. Obviously the entire part with spiders in Mirkwood Forest will be a main part of chapter-2. I probably need to read Silmarillian. He's probably going to interject more stuff not in the Hobbit, for backstory like Cody mentioned.

Tom Bombadil appeared in The Fellowship of the Ring and The Adventures of Tom Bombadil books. His character was not in The Hobbit.
Peter Jackson stated in an interview that New Line only has rights for LOTR and The Hobbit so they are unable to take material from other Tolkien publicatioins such as The Silmarillion. That said, reading it will give you a much better understanding of the Tolkien mythology.

mdub
Thu Jan 24th, 2013, 11:16 AM
love the movie....cant wait for the next part. Those damn Dwarves take no shit....The whole Goblin scene/s was well made...That king Goblin is disgusting. But quiet the intellect

bulldog
Thu Jan 24th, 2013, 11:22 AM
Will be interesting to see if it follows the book. Lord of Rings followed it pretty well although left out a huge scene at end where Shire gets raided and Hobbits made slaves.

Yes Bulldog reads...in between weight curls :D

Ghosty
Thu Jan 24th, 2013, 12:05 PM
I'm gonna read it, and the Silmarilian, especially seeing some things in the Hobbit like that one forest (brown) Wizard, and the Pale Orc.

Bulldog, the "The Scouring of the Shire" was briefly in LotR I think. When Frodo looks into the Mirror of Galadriel?...

Anyway, go to the Orchards, they have the iMax 3D 48FPS version playing until at least Thursday she said. Not sure about after that! I'm gonna see it again before then, it was worth the $13. Forgot how much I miss $7 salty artificial butter-flavored-grease moviebutter popcorn, woot!

bulldog
Thu Jan 24th, 2013, 12:15 PM
I'm gonna read it, and the Silmarilian, especially seeing some things in the Hobbit like that one forest (brown) Wizard, and the Pale Orc.

Bulldog, the "The Scouring of the Shire" was briefly in LotR I think. When Frodo looks into the Mirror of Galadriel?...

Anyway, go to the Orchards, they have the iMax 3D 48FPS version playing until at least Thursday she said. Not sure about after that! I'm gonna see it again before then, it was worth the $13. Forgot how much I miss $7 salty artificial butter-flavored-grease moviebutter popcorn, woot!
The Hobbit is actually a short book, but I guess LOR was only one book and they made three movies from it.

Oh yeah, they did do that brief scene where he looks in the mirror and saw that; it was just shown way worse in the book, but guess every book is more detailed than a movie. Movies are so long hard to remember it all.

Damn, Thursday...that's today :banghead:

Ghosty
Thu Jan 24th, 2013, 12:49 PM
No, next Thursday. You have a week, and that theater is always dead, even though it's brand new with big screens, stadikum seating, comfy reclining chairs, legroom, etc.! It's my "secret" spot that not many people will venture that far north to hit, love it.

Hobbit was one pretty good sized book. Lord of the Rings is three pretty good sized books too. But you can buy many LotR BIG books with all three combined. I've collected a few different editions, including the green and red leather ones. :)

bulldog
Thu Jan 24th, 2013, 12:51 PM
No, next Thursday. You have a week, and that theater is always dead, even though it's brand new with big screens, stadikum seating, comfy reclining chairs, legroom, etc.! It's my "secret" spot that not many people will venture that far north to hit, love it.

Hobbit was one pretty good sized book. Lord of the Rings is three pretty good sized books too. But you can buy many LotR BIG books with all three combined. I've collected a few different editions, including the green and red leather ones. :) Cool, thanks. :up:

Well damn, what books am I thinking about then :? I swear I read these but thought LOR was one book. Was a long time ago and hundreds of books back....plus I am getting old I guess.

mdub
Thu Jan 24th, 2013, 12:56 PM

yeah too far north for me....that is almost in Lafayette....

Ghosty
Thu Jan 24th, 2013, 02:42 PM
It's just off 144th & I-25. Sounds far, but only took me under 15mins from Thornton.

Ghosty
Sun Jan 27th, 2013, 05:47 PM
ARRRRGGghghh. They took Hobbit off iMax and replaced it with that retarded new Hansel & Gretel movie, WTF! Oh well. *sigh*

dm_gsxr
Thu Feb 7th, 2013, 01:38 PM
That's ok. The Hobbit movie was retarded anyway :thumbsdown:

Carl

madvlad
Thu Feb 7th, 2013, 01:42 PM
Just a quick question and not judging or nothing but just trying to satisfy my curiosity here... What is so special about these type of movies/books that make people just ridiculous passionate over them? :wtf:

Ghosty
Thu Feb 7th, 2013, 02:00 PM
<Not directed any individual>

It's like any other genre of books/movies/tv. Fantasy/SciFi/Comic vs. action/suspense/military, drama, sports, romance, etc. Whatever your tastes are.

If you don't like Fantasy then I'd suggest something else, don't waste your money on the Hobbit and the like. If you don't like scifi, then don't see sci-fi movies, lol. I guess they're sort of fairy tales for adults, kinda.

As for ridiculous passion, I think the people are just passionate in general. They're usually very intelligent (nerd/geek/engineer/scientist/etc.), and more intelligent people usually also have a very artistic side. ComicCon, StarCon, RenaissanceFair, etc. are a kick in the ass. The costumes and people are incredible. And personally I think they have a 100 times more substance and character than the usual Lodo drunk frat jocks, but that's just my opinion. And they're a lot more fun too, hahaa.

dm_gsxr
Thu Feb 7th, 2013, 02:04 PM
I think it's a childhood thing. The Hobbit was a book I read as a kid and I enjoyed them so much, I've read them uncountable times. There are many others that I've read and watched the movies on, Starship Troopers being a particularly bad one ("based on the back cover of Robert Heinlein's book").

There wasn't as much hub-bub over the Conan movies although they weren't exactly true to the books/stories either. But I think nowadays there's so much CGI that's just so good, you expect the Director to be somewhat true to the books.

Personally I wouldn't have minded the movie as much if Peter Jackson had just omitted stuff or slightly changed things. But the movie and the book are so different. Not just the extra stuff that wasn't in the book or the wrong stuff but just the overall tone of the characters and the movie itself.

The book is a children's adventure story with lots of cool stuff, with dwarfs, and dragons, and the big hero at the end, and a big battle, and the main character growing up throughout the story until the end when he's a world weary traveler safe at home again.

Bilbo was not captured in the book. There was no running battle on the way to Rivendell. No Radaghast the Brown in the story. No sly, sneaking away from Rivendell by the party. There was no Stone Giant battle in the mountains. The Goblins (there is no mention of Orcs in the book) captured the group in the cave but Gandalf was there and avoided capture, killing several Goblins. The Goblin King was killed in the main room by Gandalf. The group carried Bilbo until the Goblins snuck up and was dropped hitting his head on a rock and losing consciousness. Bilbo found the ring when groping around the dark tunnel after regaining his wits. When Bilbo met Gollum, there were more riddles exchanged. When Bilbo won, Gollum left to his rock to retrieve the ring so he could kill Bilbo. Bilbo ran on when Gollum came after him. Bilbo slipped on his ring and jumped over Gollum almost hitting his head on the low tunnel. He lost his buttons getting out of the almost entirely closed door. Bilbo snuck past the dwarf with his ring on and revealed after getting to the party. The party bailed trying to get as far away before the Goblins could get out of their cave. The party ended up in 5 trees of various types. The wolves were coming to the trees to meet with the Goblins and go raiding and didn't come up with the Goblins. Bilbo had to have help getting into a tree and Gimli almost didn't make it before the Wolves arrived. Gandalf threw burning pine cones at the wolves. The Goblins were angry over the death of the Goblin King and didn't come with the wolves. There was no main encounter with Bolg as Bolg was dead. Thorin didn't come down out of the tree to confront Bolg. Bilbo didn't come out of the tree to save Thorin. The King Eagle saw the fires in the clearing and came to investigate, he wasn't called by Gandolf by some supersonic butterfly. The group was brought (almost leaving Bilbo behind yet again) to the Eagles Aerie to spend the night.

As a prequel to The Lord of The Ring, it was a fine lead in. As The Hobbit, it was wrong. I intend on watching the two sequels, in part because it was a bit frustrating to watch the first movie but also because as a general movie, it was pretty good.

Carl

Ghosty
Thu Feb 7th, 2013, 02:21 PM
Damn, you know the Hobbit like the back of your hand! I'm lucky, haven't read it in over 25 years. So for me, the movie was awesome.

On our CRN Hobbit thread some people brought up many good points about why the movie was different. Incl. backstory, Silmarilion, Elvish history, HOW can he best possible stretch it into THREE three-hour movies, etc. I could see why a purist like you might get pissed off though. I hate it when they fuck childhood favorite stuff up. Geeze, look at Tron. I actually agree that he should've just kept it at two movies and made it more true to the book. But then again, after this, no more epic Tolkein movies, so that'll be a sad day too.

Ghosty
Thu Feb 7th, 2013, 02:27 PM
But then again, after this, no more epic Tolkein movies, so that'll be a sad day too.
I'm secretly wishing they'll come up with a way to make this Peter Jackson epic budget level of fantasy by making movies out of the best Advanced D&D modules. For those who know, imagine the Desert of Desolation series made into a movie trilogy? Or any of the "C" (competition) or "S" (special) series of modules? That would be nerd heaven. Expedition to Barrier Peaks, Tomb of Horrors, Hidden Shrine of Tamoachan, Ghost Tower of Inverness, or how about the G/K/Q series? (Giants, KuoToa, QueenLolth)

madvlad
Thu Feb 7th, 2013, 02:42 PM
I just want to understand from the POV of someone who does like these type of movies/books as I personally don't like them at all. I'm more of a technology sci-fi type of person (transformers etc). I failed English class in high school for refusing to read harry potter, I choose death lol

Ghosty
Thu Feb 7th, 2013, 09:12 PM
It's very rare you find someone that's into one but not the other. Usually people are into all three (fantasy, scifi, & comic). That's cool though, Chaos is like you, he thinks StarWars series is the shit, but doesn't like fantasy at all. As for PoV of fantasy nerds, dunno. I know for me, I grew up loving fantasy role playing games, movies, the novels, etc.

It's just magical (without sounding too gay, lol), definitely a certain feeling it gives you. Has to do with how deep people's imagination and creativity is I guess? Lots of factors. It would be awesome to write these types of stories.

Chaos
Thu Feb 7th, 2013, 11:25 PM
It's very rare you find someone that's into one but not the other. Usually people are into all three (fantasy, scifi, & comic). That's cool though, Chaos is like you, he thinks StarWars series is the shit, but doesn't like fantasy at all..

:up: I have less than zero desire to see the hobbit. I saw the first lord of the rings movie and was bored to tears, couldn't get into it at all, Never saw any of the other ones. Same with harry potter...saw most of the first one before I fell asleep.

I do love Star Wars/Transformers/Super hero movies. Just something about those LOTR/Potter/labyrinth type movies I just can't get into. :piss: