PDA

View Full Version : Ferret thread #2

Grim2.0
Sat Jan 26th, 2013, 06:47 PM
Since my first ferret thread Darth and UHateit both rescued some ferrets and gave them a good home. I organized a ferret play date which went down today at my place. Was pretty damn fun watching 7 of these guys run around and play with each other. I've got a video that is uploading now that ill post when its done.

I put some ferretone on a plate and they all enjoyed a nice treat.

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h54/irishrussianpunk/gcc/photo-1-2.jpg

Grim2.0
Sat Jan 26th, 2013, 07:38 PM
Here is the video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1v99HBkTiRs

Clovis
Sat Jan 26th, 2013, 08:28 PM
This video is private.

Way 2 fail Sean!!

Grim2.0
Sat Jan 26th, 2013, 08:34 PM
Only private to toolbags that go by the name of Justin and speed excessively.

Clovis
Sat Jan 26th, 2013, 08:42 PM
Touche

madvlad
Sat Jan 26th, 2013, 08:45 PM
That's a cool shot when they follow you, they look like fun pets though.

UHATEIT
Sat Jan 26th, 2013, 09:08 PM
Great video. Good times today. My little fuzzies need3d to get out and play and they seemed to have a great time. They have been tired since they got home. Thanks for inviting us over and for hosting the event! Will for sure have to do it again sometime

Clovis
Sat Jan 26th, 2013, 09:24 PM
I always wanted a ferret.

Darth Do'Urden
Sun Jan 27th, 2013, 03:38 PM
Had a ball! That many ferrets is just a good kind of insanity.

After we got home, my wife mentioned the idea of maybe getting a kit for my upcoming birthday....=)

It was pretty awesome being able to see that many different sizes, colors, and personalities of all of 'em. And they all got along great! Pretty friggin' cool.

Bella is so tiny, but one of the oldest of the bunch!

UHATEIT
Sun Jan 27th, 2013, 05:47 PM
Had a ball! That many ferrets is just a good kind of insanity.

After we got home, my wife mentioned the idea of maybe getting a kit for my upcoming birthday....=)

It was pretty awesome being able to see that many different sizes, colors, and personalities of all of 'em. And they all got along great! Pretty friggin' cool.

Bella is so tiny, but one of the oldest of the bunch!

very true! She is insanely tiny, we are blessed to have her, ans she is very energetic and lively, she loves to have a good time and scurry around. She's just over 4 years old, yet the smallest as you said

Ghosty
Sun Jan 27th, 2013, 05:53 PM
Ferret play-date = epic idea! Thanks for sharing, they're awesome.

Darth Do'Urden
Wed Feb 13th, 2013, 11:58 AM
To keep the ferret thread alive....

My wife proposed the idea of getting a third ferret (for my birthday). We're going the kit route this time.

I perused the area shelters' websites not expecting to find much, especially a kit...and I was correct. In fact, I didn't find much anything ferret-wise...just one pair (albino and DEW). So I was wondering if there's any sort of "exotic" pet shops in the area that sell baby ferrets. I know that Petco sells Marshall ferrets, but I was hoping to expand my options. Google says "no", so unless someone else knows of a local place, it looks like Petco remains my only option.

I don't have any specifics in mind as far as color or size, though I am leaning toward a female if possible. But really, it just comes down to which one "strikes my fancy".

UHATEIT
Wed Feb 13th, 2013, 12:05 PM
Petco had a sale for $79.99 a couple of months back wehn we went looking. Otherwise I know people on CL will often post up giving them away or selling them pretty inexpensive

Grim2.0
Wed Feb 13th, 2013, 12:16 PM
To keep the ferret thread alive....

My wife proposed the idea of getting a third ferret (for my birthday). We're going the kit route this time.

I perused the area shelters' websites not expecting to find much, especially a kit...and I was correct. In fact, I didn't find much anything ferret-wise...just one pair (albino and DEW). So I was wondering if there's any sort of "exotic" pet shops in the area that sell baby ferrets. I know that Petco sells Marshall ferrets, but I was hoping to expand my options. Google says "no", so unless someone else knows of a local place, it looks like Petco remains my only option.

I don't have any specifics in mind as far as color or size, though I am leaning toward a female if possible. But really, it just comes down to which one "strikes my fancy".

Petco is really your only option, Colorado doesn't sell a ton of "exotic" pets, and the laws for selling Ferrets are pretty strict. I have never seen any shop that sells any other than Petco, but if you are looking for particular colors just keep checking the petco's there are a few that have them and they know when there batch of new fuzzies will be coming in, granted the ones they have are given a home.

Grim2.0
Wed Feb 13th, 2013, 12:16 PM
Oh yea and as you've seen Kit=Awesome!

UHATEIT
Wed Feb 13th, 2013, 12:20 PM
Petco.com doesn't have the prices listed. The one a mile up there street from me at Hampden/Tamarac has them tho. Ive seem them as cheap as $79.99 on sale and I believe they get them when they are 8 weeks old so theyre pretty tiny and babies.

UHATEIT
Wed Feb 13th, 2013, 12:22 PM
If I were you I'd probably scoop this deal up on cl, $50! a 1 year old ferret male, with all the accessories and cage, seems like a decent seller readin his findings. Then at 1-year it should hopefully know how to control its bladder and be potty trained hopefully, and still have plenty of years left on his life at only 1 year old, ALSO says he is a marshall ferret from petco so you should be good to go on this one if he is still up for sale, if you dont need the cage and supplies you can probably use some of it or have a spare cage to use we still have our small cage that came with ours

http://denver.craigslist.org/for/3581527539.html

UHATEIT
Wed Feb 13th, 2013, 12:41 PM
Forgot to post some pics I took of the ferret day:
https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/552626_536754639683253_1380753773_n.jpg
https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/552662_536754673016583_935185408_n.jpg
https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/18996_536754839683233_2048715503_n.jpg
https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/483097_536755243016526_2114665139_n.jpg

Grim2.0
Wed Feb 13th, 2013, 01:21 PM
If I were you I'd probably scoop this deal up on cl, $50! a 1 year old ferret male, with all the accessories and cage, seems like a decent seller readin his findings. Then at 1-year it should hopefully know how to control its bladder and be potty trained hopefully, and still have plenty of years left on his life at only 1 year old, ALSO says he is a marshall ferret from petco so you should be good to go on this one if he is still up for sale, if you dont need the cage and supplies you can probably use some of it or have a spare cage to use we still have our small cage that came with ours

http://denver.craigslist.org/for/3581527539.html

AHHH shit!

Darth Do'Urden
Wed Feb 13th, 2013, 01:45 PM
AHHH shit!

4? Heheheh....

Grim2.0
Wed Feb 13th, 2013, 01:53 PM
4? Heheheh....

:lol: I just tried calling you wasnt sure if you wanted to take a gander at this guy. I already emailed him and so has the wife lol. He's by himself, he needs some buddies!!!!

UHATEIT
Wed Feb 13th, 2013, 01:59 PM
Yes someone please give that poor little dude a home! Looks sweet in the picture, and he is a marshall ferret as well. Let's hope he is still available and one of you guys can snag him up

Grim2.0
Wed Feb 13th, 2013, 02:07 PM
Yes someone please give that poor little dude a home! Looks sweet in the picture, and he is a marshall ferret as well. Let's hope he is still available and one of you guys can snag him up

You only have two whats your excuse :lol:

UHATEIT
Wed Feb 13th, 2013, 02:32 PM
I am not in the market for another or'd id scoop him up. Heck if you guys want I'll go snag him just for the extra cage and supplies and then one of you can have him as your ferret if you want. Bella and Bandit were born together and been together 4 years I'd be hesitant to have another one with them.

Grim2.0
Wed Feb 13th, 2013, 02:39 PM
I am not in the market for another or'd id scoop him up. Heck if you guys want I'll go snag him just for the extra cage and supplies and then one of you can have him as your ferret if you want. Bella and Bandit were born together and been together 4 years I'd be hesitant to have another one with them.

Actually i emailed him to see how big the cage was, if its bigger than mine its a bonus all the way around for us, but with it being a single fuzzy i highly doubt it is. Maybe we can work out a deal if he responds to his email.

Darth Do'Urden
Wed Feb 13th, 2013, 02:52 PM
If I didn't have my heart on getting a kit, then I'd be all over this fuzzy. But...I want a little one!

I hope one of you guys pick him up. He needs some company.

UHATEIT
Thu Feb 14th, 2013, 08:37 AM
Is a 1 year old still not cionsidered to be a kit? I dont know the age groupings for what is considered to be a kit. My little muchkin Bella is the size of a baby yet shes 4 years old. Shes super freakin smart its insane, Bandit is a big goof and somewhat of a sloth around the house but Bella is super intuitive

Grim2.0
Thu Feb 14th, 2013, 08:41 AM
Is a 1 year old still not cionsidered to be a kit? I dont know the age groupings for what is considered to be a kit. My little muchkin Bella is the size of a baby yet shes 4 years old. Shes super freakin smart its insane, Bandit is a big goof and somewhat of a sloth around the house but Bella is super intuitive

Ferrets grow pretty fast after a year they are no longer the size of a kit and damn near full grown.
That guy never emailed me back so.

You guys will enjoy this though!

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=nWLDG8c9-i8

UHATEIT
Thu Feb 14th, 2013, 08:48 AM
wont work on my work computer, trying on my cell and it just has loading video... wait nvm, after 5 tries its working

UHATEIT
Thu Feb 14th, 2013, 09:24 AM
Liking the arched back hoping around of the ferret at the beginning, Bella does that a lot and its the best thing to watch

Darth Do'Urden
Thu Feb 14th, 2013, 09:25 AM
Nice! Kira is nuts.

Ghosty
Thu Feb 14th, 2013, 09:16 PM
Found this today, great Ferret fun video. I especially love the Bjork song near the beginning, and later on the Benny Hill music is perfect for Ferrets!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgEnj1AC2cI

P.S. Admins you should allow video linking. :)

Grim2.0
Thu Feb 14th, 2013, 09:36 PM
The wide open mouth head back running backwards always cracks me up

Darth Do'Urden
Fri Feb 15th, 2013, 12:37 PM
Better pictures coming, but for now here's the new addition. Her name is Luna-Tic. She's INSANE! (But asleep in the pic...heheh)

http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n35/Salacious_Sith/Pets/Luna-Tic_zps54b8de93.jpg

Grim2.0
Fri Feb 15th, 2013, 12:47 PM
NICE! congrats on the addition man!

Ghosty
Fri Feb 15th, 2013, 01:13 PM
Cute! Where did you pick her up? How old?

j0ker
Fri Feb 15th, 2013, 01:54 PM
She has that crazy look in her sleepy little ferret eyes.

Grim2.0
Fri Feb 15th, 2013, 02:25 PM
Kyle make sure you let her get all the sleep she wants, Kits tend to sleep more than older fuzzies.

Darth Do'Urden
Fri Feb 15th, 2013, 02:53 PM
Cute! Where did you pick her up? How old?

Petco at I-25 and S. Colorado Blvd. We checked out 3 Petcos over just east of I-25 yesterday. She wasn't necessarily the "prettiest" color of the ones we saw (there was a cool lookin' male that was silver and gray), but she was the one that stole me heart. Feisty (even for a ferret!), small, female, and distinctly different color from Ifrit and Errtu.

She was born around 15DEC12, so she's right at 3 months old.

Kyle make sure you let her get all the sleep she wants, Kits tend to sleep more than older fuzzies.

Been trying to let her sleep, but with all the changes and whatnot she hasn't seemed too intent on it just yet. She crawled into the hammock with the boys last night, and I found them all in the lower round bed this morning...she was half-way plopped out next to Ifrit's head. Pretty cute.

My son discovered something absolutely adorable earlier today. He accidentally squeaked a dog toy, and Ifrit immediately ran over to Luna and stayed right next to her for about 5 minutes, following her around protectively. Cutest thing in the world.

Here's a pic from bathtime earlier. She didn't hate it nearly as much as the boys do:

http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n35/Salacious_Sith/Pets/FerretBathtime_zpsadfff6d2.jpg

Ifrit (left) looks pleading, Errtu (center) looks pissed. LOL

Ph03niX
Fri Feb 15th, 2013, 02:55 PM
I love this thread haha. Ive always wanted a ferret. But ive heard that they dont smell good (like makes the room smell bad) and they can get potty trained? where do they go?

Grim2.0
Fri Feb 15th, 2013, 03:02 PM
I love this thread haha. Ive always wanted a ferret. But ive heard that they dont smell good (like makes the room smell bad) and they can get potty trained? where do they go?

I dont feel like typing everything again so Shawn go here: http://www.cosportbikeclub.org/forums/showthread.php?t=47544&highlight=ferret

Start at page one and read everything.

Grim2.0
Fri Feb 15th, 2013, 03:03 PM
Petco at I-25 and S. Colorado Blvd. We checked out 3 Petcos over just east of I-25 yesterday. She wasn't necessarily the "prettiest" color of the ones we saw (there was a cool lookin' male that was silver and gray), but she was the one that stole me heart. Feisty (even for a ferret!), small, female, and distinctly different color from Ifrit and Errtu.

She was born around 15DEC12, so she's right at 3 months old.

Been trying to let her sleep, but with all the changes and whatnot she hasn't seemed too intent on it just yet. She crawled into the hammock with the boys last night, and I found them all in the lower round bed this morning...she was half-way plopped out next to Ifrit's head. Pretty cute.

My son discovered something absolutely adorable earlier today. He accidentally squeaked a dog toy, and Ifrit immediately ran over to Luna and stayed right next to her for about 5 minutes, following her around protectively. Cutest thing in the world.

Here's a pic from bathtime earlier. She didn't hate it nearly as much as the boys do:

http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n35/Salacious_Sith/Pets/FerretBathtime_zpsadfff6d2.jpg

Ifrit (left) looks pleading, Errtu (center) looks pissed. LOL

Three ferrets = extra awesome man! Glad you are happy with getting them!

Darth Do'Urden
Fri Feb 15th, 2013, 03:06 PM

Same thing that kept me from getting one for my entire life...until I learned that they do NOT have to smell bad. Stinky ferrets are a result of poor diet (ferrets are NOT cats, therefore should not be fed cat food >=/), not litter-trained (they litter train quite well), and OVER-bathing. Washing them more than every 4 weeks or so dries them out and sends their oil glands into overdrive, thereby making them more odoriferous. Also, not cleaning their bedding and cage often enough will result in more smelliness, though this isn't the ferret stinking, it's the cage/bedding.

Our ferrets (as well as Grim's and UHATEIT's) don't smell bad at all. Just a very faint musk aroma that you can really only smell when you put them up to your face. Even then, my whole family thinks they smell like maple syrup. Luna (our new kit) has a "new puppy" smell to her. Our house (nor Grim's) does not smell like any animals at all, even though we've got 3 ferrets, 2 dogs, and a hamster. The only thing that stinks in our house are the (human) kids!

As for the toilet...ours are litter-trained using "World's Best Cat Litter" (the ONLY cat litter you can use with ferrets). It keeps their poo and pee from stinking, as the litter absorbs wonderfully the waste, and we never smell anything.

Ph03niX
Fri Feb 15th, 2013, 03:11 PM
?

Same thing that kept me from getting one for my entire life...until I learned that they do NOT have to smell bad. Stinky ferrets are a result of poor diet, not litter-trained (they litter train quite well), and OVER-bathing. Washing them more than every 4 weeks or so dries them out and sends their oil glands into overdrive, thereby making them more odoriferous. Also, not cleaning their bedding and cage often enough will result in more smelliness, though this isn't the ferret stinking, it's the cage/bedding.

Our ferrets (as well as Grim's and UHATEIT's) don't smell bad at all. Just a very faint musk aroma that you can really only smell when you put them up to your face. Even then, my whole family thinks they smell like maple syrup. Luna (our new kit) has a "new puppy" smell to her.

As for the toilet...ours are litter-trained using "World's Best Cat Litter" (the ONLY cat litter you can use with ferrets). It keeps their poo and pee from stinking, as the litter absorbs wonderfully the waste, and we never smell anything.
That is awesome. I definately might have to get one in a year or two! (still in parents house :P)

Grim2.0
Fri Feb 15th, 2013, 03:11 PM
http://www.cosportbikeclub.org/forum...ghlight=ferret (http://www.cosportbikeclub.org/forums/showthread.php?t=47544&highlight=ferret)

Read

Darth Do'Urden
Fri Feb 15th, 2013, 03:14 PM
That is awesome. I definately might have to get one in a year or two! (still in parents house :P)

Yeah, convincing the parents of that sort of change can be nigh to impossible. I know...I am one!

Grim2.0
Fri Feb 15th, 2013, 03:30 PM
Same thing that kept me from getting one for my entire life...until I learned that they do NOT have to smell bad. Stinky ferrets are a result of poor diet (ferrets are NOT cats, therefore should not be fed cat food >=/), not litter-trained (they litter train quite well), and OVER-bathing. Washing them more than every 4 weeks or so dries them out and sends their oil glands into overdrive, thereby making them more odoriferous. Also, not cleaning their bedding and cage often enough will result in more smelliness, though this isn't the ferret stinking, it's the cage/bedding.

Our ferrets (as well as Grim's and UHATEIT's) don't smell bad at all. Just a very faint musk aroma that you can really only smell when you put them up to your face. Even then, my whole family thinks they smell like maple syrup. Luna (our new kit) has a "new puppy" smell to her. Our house (nor Grim's) does not smell like any animals at all, even though we've got 3 ferrets, 2 dogs, and a hamster. The only thing that stinks in our house are the (human) kids!

Look at this Ferret Pro! Must have had a really good teacher :lol:

Darth Do'Urden
Fri Feb 15th, 2013, 04:29 PM
Here's our setup for our little fuzzbutts:

http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n35/Salacious_Sith/Pets/FerretHome_zpsc3f1c425.jpg

With all the corners filled with something (litter boxes, beds, ladders, food/water etc.), the only place they have to go are in the corners of the litter boxes. Works great. On the lower landing (not the floor), you'll see that it's covered in fabric. We had to do that because the boys started going in the back corner about a month ago. No idea why, just outta the blue they started crapping/pissing on the floor of that landing. So I put some fabric in their hammock, let 'em sleep on it for a few days, then "carpeted" the landing with it. Whalah! No more mess on the landing. Works like a charm.

Grim2.0
Fri Feb 15th, 2013, 04:40 PM
^^ I just now finally got Lina to stop shitting outside the box, take away there stuff and they comply :lol: Now i can gradually start putting there shelves back in.

Ph03niX
Fri Feb 15th, 2013, 06:37 PM
Man now I really want one. Thanks Grim!

Hoot
Fri Feb 15th, 2013, 08:22 PM
Man now I really want one. Thanks Grim!

This... Pretty sure that's not gonna happen though, kids would love it, dog would love it, my lady not so much.

Grim2.0
Fri Feb 15th, 2013, 08:43 PM
This... Pretty sure that's not gonna happen though, kids would love it, dog would love it, my lady not so much.

Have your wife come over with you and the kids, you guys can goof around with my three and see if she changes her mind. Can't say you don't like em till you've tried em out!

I did the same thing for darth not because his wife wouldn't like them but to see if she was allergic and obviously she isn't cause now they have three awesome fuzzies!

Darth Do'Urden
Fri Feb 15th, 2013, 08:46 PM

I'm not saying there's any guarantees...but my wife wasn't too terribly keen on the idea in the beginning either. But after discussing everything I learned about them with her, and then having a little play session at Grim's (before we got any), my wife came around to the idea pretty quick. She now loves them as much as the rest of us, and even gets them out during the day when I'm at work and the kids are in school.

I didn't push...she could just tell how much I was falling in love with 'em! Then she did as well. =)

Hoot
Fri Feb 15th, 2013, 09:10 PM
You said you have a dog too right darth? What kind and how do they get along? We have a large breed pup and I'm afraid that while the cats would get a reprieve from bring chew toys, they would be his new chew toys.

And toddlers? Our 2 year old loves just squeezing the cats (never seen cats this patient before in my life, he has literally pulled them into his bathtub and they didn't freak out).

I'm gonna read up some more, seems like a lot of fun, but I would want to make sure to know what I'm getting into and make it a good life for them and not just a impulse "cute" buy

Grim2.0
Fri Feb 15th, 2013, 09:26 PM
You said you have a dog too right darth? What kind and how do they get along? We have a large breed pup and I'm afraid that while the cats would get a reprieve from bring chew toys, they would be his new chew toys.

And toddlers? Our 2 year old loves just squeezing the cats (never seen cats this patient before in my life, he has literally pulled them into his bathtub and they didn't freak out).

I'm gonna read up some more, seems like a lot of fun, but I would want to make sure to know what I'm getting into and make it a good life for them and not just a impulse "cute" buy

The ferrets won't bite if squeezed but it could harm them or kill them, they have delicate spleens, so much as when they go down stairs if they don't hop and slink down a lot it can damage there spleen and kill them.

As far as the dog goes its up to the dog with any animal if they are puppies they won't care because they just think its another animal or part of the family. Also depends on now well the dog is trained, earths dogs are smaller and very smart and well trained, I believe he has Shitzus not sure though. The cat is another thing that has to be tested as well, I've always had kittens when I first got ferrets so they have just seen them as brothers and sister.

Not to be a dick but if your little one likes squeezing pets you may want to wait till he is older to get any fuzzies they are tough but not as tough as cats and dogs.

Hoot
Fri Feb 15th, 2013, 09:30 PM
Reading more... Even if I don't end up getting some, very cool to see all the fun you guys put in the thread.

Hoot
Fri Feb 15th, 2013, 09:33 PM
Not to be a dick but if your little one likes squeezing pets you may want to wait till he is older to get any fuzzies they are tough but not as tough as cats and dogs.

Not a dick move at all.

I'm asking lots of questions to make sure if I were to try get a fuzzy, it would be good for them as well as us.

Grim2.0
Fri Feb 15th, 2013, 10:02 PM
Not a dick move at all.

I'm asking lots of questions to make sure if I were to try get a fuzzy, it would be good for them as well as us.
Is say in a year your little guy will get the concept pets aren't too keen on being squeezed and you guys will be good to go as long as the other pets are cool with it too. Usually if cats and dogs are already living together a smaller new pet isn't an issue.

And as far as the kid mine was constantly yelled at to be gentle, don't jump when they are out and don't run. Now I can ask her to retrieve one of them for me and she carefully picks them up and brings em to me and she is almost three. Just takes time.

Darth Do'Urden
Sat Feb 16th, 2013, 12:02 AM
My small dogs get along great with them. I've seen videos of large dogs treating them super gentle and just playing with them, all the while the ferret is giving the dog pure hell...the dog just takes it. Like Grim said, depends on how well trained the dog is.

Cats? Doesn't seem like cats care much at all either way. Curious, but ultimately can get away from the ferret and ignore it.

Kids are the absolute worst on pets...if the child doesn't yet comprehend how soft they need to be with them. Again...just takes time and training like Grim mentioned.

Seems like you're going about it the right way, though. Learn and decide if your family is right for a ferret, and then decide if the TIME is right for all.

Darth Do'Urden
Sat Feb 16th, 2013, 08:38 PM
Not that I expect things to stay this easy, but Luna is already using the litter boxes in the cage pretty much exclusively...no poops or wet spots anywhere else in the cage. And this evening when I had her out downstairs I showed her the toilet (like I do every time I get her out) and she promptly jumped out and scampered away. But then about 20 seconds later I found her squatting in the litter box all on her own. Pretty friggin' cool how smart these fuzzies are.

Grim2.0
Sat Feb 16th, 2013, 08:58 PM
Not that I expect things to stay this easy, but Luna is already using the litter boxes in the cage pretty much exclusively...no poops or wet spots anywhere else in the cage. And this evening when I had her out downstairs I showed her the toilet (like I do every time I get her out) and she promptly jumped out and scampered away. But then about 20 seconds later I found her squatting in the litter box all on her own. Pretty friggin' cool how smart these fuzzies are.

Two of mine go through the trouble to go back upstairs to use the litter box, and the other says "f that I'm going in the cats litter box" :lol:

Ph03niX
Sat Feb 16th, 2013, 09:06 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OVEe1DMsOq0

If this doesnt make you want to own a ferret. I dont know what will. :D

longrider
Sun Feb 17th, 2013, 11:19 AM
I wonder what my cat thinks of ferrets? :)

http://i1259.photobucket.com/albums/ii560/pdonaldson40/DSC00106_zpsc016c354.jpg

http://i1259.photobucket.com/albums/ii560/pdonaldson40/DSC00108_zps75bdf2a0.jpg

Darth Do'Urden
Sun Feb 17th, 2013, 11:50 AM
Just cleaned out the litter. Found a couple piles of really tarry black poop. Ifrit hasn't been acting quite normal the past couple of days. Little to no activity, only wants to sleep, even more than normal. My sense is that the abnormal poop is from him. I know it's not from Luna, as her stool is smaller and a lighter green color (what you'd expect from a baby). And Errtu is acting the same as he always has, plus there's some normal stool piles, which is likely his.

Everything I've read points to GI bleeding, likely due to an ulcer or foreign matter blockage. Everything also says that a vet visit is needed rather immediately. Now, I'm not about to go pay some Animal ER prices, but it looks like I need to take him to a vet tomorrow. =/

Grim2.0
Sun Feb 17th, 2013, 12:06 PM
Never experienced that man, I have no answer let me know what happens.

Darth Do'Urden
Sun Feb 17th, 2013, 12:11 PM
I'm going to keep an eye on his stool through today, and give him some Ferret-Lax (though I've always done so on a regular basis anyhow). But as serious as everything says black tarry stool is, I think a trip to the vet tomorrow is in the cards. I'll keep this thread updated with what we discover.

Luna is doing well, and Errtu is his normal fatty self. I'm pretty worried for Ifrit, though.

Ghosty
Sun Feb 17th, 2013, 05:38 PM
Good luck Darth, hope he's ok!

UHATEIT
Mon Feb 18th, 2013, 02:00 PM
I am jealous of Darth's cage, I was close to snagging that CL ad when the lady posted it but the wife wasn't in the market at the time.

UHATEIT
Mon Feb 18th, 2013, 02:01 PM
My coworker reads the Denver post and gave me an article today, I ended up finding it on their site so I can post the link here, it is about the endangered black footed ferrets:

http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_22611640/ranchers-sought-help-black-footed-ferret?IADID=Search-www.denverpost.com-www.denverpost.com

Grim2.0
Mon Feb 18th, 2013, 02:07 PM
My coworker reads the Denver post and gave me an article today, I ended up finding it on their site so I can post the link here, it is about the endangered black footed ferrets:

http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_22611640/ranchers-sought-help-black-footed-ferret?IADID=Search-www.denverpost.com-www.denverpost.com

I didnt read the article but i did learn at the museum a few years back that the black footed ferret was originally believed to be extinct when a farmer came across a family of them in the 80's and they have been breeding them to help populate since.

Darth Do'Urden
Mon Feb 18th, 2013, 04:03 PM
Interesting about the black-footed ferret.

As an aside, I've read a few different places that the common domesticated ferret is not actually related to the black-footed ferret. Though I admit that I'm confused about that claim, seeing as how the physical features are very similar...and they're both called "ferrets". But whatever.

As for Ifrit--it seems that a minimum of an x-ray and general exam is around $250. If an ultrasound is needed, then that would be an additional $350 or so. As such, I'm trying to figure out the best course of action.

My wife got him out of bed today and she said he was active, and even playing with Luna a bit. She also did not see any more tarry stool...so I don't freakin' know. I guess maybe I'll just monitor him really close for a week or so and see if any other symptoms arise. I wouldn't mind at all spending the money to save his life. It's spending that kind of money just to find out that there's nothing actually wrong that grinds my gears.

For what it's worth, I'm the same way about my own health, as well as that of my kids'.

Grim2.0
Mon Feb 18th, 2013, 05:19 PM
Interesting about the black-footed ferret.

As an aside, I've read a few different places that the common domesticated ferret is not actually related to the black-footed ferret. Though I admit that I'm confused about that claim, seeing as how the physical features are very similar...and they're both called "ferrets". But whatever.

As for Ifrit--it seems that a minimum of an x-ray and general exam is around $250. If an ultrasound is needed, then that would be an additional $350 or so. As such, I'm trying to figure out the best course of action.

My wife got him out of bed today and she said he was active, and even playing with Luna a bit. She also did not see any more tarry stool...so I don't freakin' know. I guess maybe I'll just monitor him really close for a week or so and see if any other symptoms arise. I wouldn't mind at all spending the money to save his life. It's spending that kind of money just to find out that there's nothing actually wrong that grinds my gears.

For what it's worth, I'm the same way about my own health, as well as that of my kids'.

I know it may sound like a stupid simple answer, but you may want to do the diet shuffle and switch over to the Marshall ferret food, I've only always given my ferrets that and have never had a medical issue with mine other than the regular they are getting old deal.

Darth Do'Urden
Mon Feb 18th, 2013, 05:32 PM
I know it may sound like a stupid simple answer, but you may want to do the diet shuffle and switch over to the Marshall ferret food, I've only always given my ferrets that and have never had a medical issue with mine other than the regular they are getting old deal.

I hear ya, Grim. And I totally appreciate your perspective. But I've compared the ingredients, and spec for spec, the Marshalls food is not a very high quality diet. Certainly not the worst by any means, but I'm not a fan of how much grain is in their stuff.

Zupreem isn't at the very top of the charts either, but I'm not rich enough to afford the truly optimal stuff. And I just don't think I can get my head (or wife) around the idea of doing whole raw meat (which, optimally, is thawed whole rodents, bone intact, uncooked).

And then there's the whole general fact that until 4 days ago, Ifrit has been totally normal--playful, spirited, eats well, drinks well, poops well...but he's always been fond of his sleep, even more so than Errtu.

One thing that petmd.com mentioned as one of the possible causes of the tarry stool was "exposure to other ferrets". Coincidentally (or perhaps not), it was the day after we brought Luna home that Ifrit started acting abnormal.

So I don't freakin' know....=/. I know that it sucks worrying about the well being of a family member, fuzzy or otherwise.

UHATEIT
Fri Feb 22nd, 2013, 01:08 PM
I will thank you both for recommending the Furrtone stuff. Bandit had very nasty scraggly hair that was thinning when we first got him, could have been from poor care and bad nutrition. We have been feeding him the Marshalls Senior formula food and that Furrtone stuff on the food and on spoons and now his hair is crazy fluffy and thick! He looks like the ferrets at the play date all fluffy.

Bella loves the furrtone as well she is getting fluffier but her hair is still somewhat thin and just not fluffed out like Bandit's is. Maybe she is just a special ferret as she is already a total runt in size, but she is very lively and happy all the time and super outgoing/energetic and loves to play, so I think her health is fine. She too eats the senior food since both ferrets are over 4 years old now.

Grim2.0
Fri Feb 22nd, 2013, 01:13 PM
Glad they like it and its working, did you try using it to clip their nails like i showed you?

UHATEIT
Fri Feb 22nd, 2013, 01:21 PM
Glad they like it and its working, did you try using it to clip their nails like i showed you?

Yeah we couldnt do the neck thing, so we laid bandit on his back, he just kicks it there with his legs in the air, I put some on his belly and he licked like crazy while we trimmed his nails.

My wife tried to do that to bella and put it way too high (not on the belly but on her neck) and bella went freakin crazy smelling the furrtone and wanting to lick it up but it was on her neck and couldnt get to it, so she went all frantic and started backstepping and scooting backwards on the carpet dragging her neck so she could move her hair towards her mouth and also scrape the furrtone onto the carpet then she started licking the carpet to get the furrtone. This was verry funny to watch. If you ever want to see something funny, put that furrtone on their neck since they can't get it off their neck, they should go absolutely livid and wild trying to get at it. It was by accident as my wife did not know to put it on her belly, but it was funny to watch.

So we tried it again and put it on her belly and it worked great, trimmed the nails and she is good to go!

Grim2.0
Fri Feb 22nd, 2013, 01:25 PM
Yeah we couldnt do the neck thing, so we laid bandit on his back, he just kicks it there with his legs in the air, I put some on his belly and he licked like crazy while we trimmed his nails.

My wife tried to do that to bella and put it way too high (not on the belly but on her neck) and bella went freakin crazy smelling the furrtone and wanting to lick it up but it was on her neck and couldnt get to it, so she went all frantic and started backstepping and scooting backwards on the carpet dragging her neck so she could move her hair towards her mouth and also scrape the furrtone onto the carpet then she started licking the carpet to get the furrtone. This was verry funny to watch. If you ever want to see something funny, put that furrtone on their neck since they can't get it off their neck, they should go absolutely livid and wild trying to get at it. It was by accident as my wife did not know to put it on her belly, but it was funny to watch.

So we tried it again and put it on her belly and it worked great, trimmed the nails and she is good to go!

:lol:

Kiera is the same way she doesn't go completely immobile when scruffed, some ferrets are just that way. I bought mine a few tubes that are see through from Petco and holy crap is it funny to see them all pile into them fighting to see who gets to stay in.

Darth Do'Urden
Fri Feb 22nd, 2013, 04:24 PM
So it's been a few days, and Ifrit is completely back to his normal self--playful and energetic.

I've been monitoring his stool and everything appears normal now. I don't know what the deal was. So now everyone is crapping properly and learning to play together very nicely.

Luna decided she wanted to try her hand at digging out a bunch of litter, but that only lasted a couple of days...not any more since. She's doing a very nice job of pulling the two older boys out of their laziness...haven't seen either of them this active in a while.

Three ferrets really are superb.

Grim2.0
Fri Feb 22nd, 2013, 04:28 PM
So it's been a few days, and Ifrit is completely back to his normal self--playful and energetic.

I've been monitoring his stool and everything appears normal now. I don't know what the deal was. So now everyone is crapping properly and learning to play together very nicely.

Luna decided she wanted to try her hand at digging out a bunch of litter, but that only lasted a couple of days...not any more since. She's doing a very nice job of pulling the two older boys out of their laziness...haven't seen either of them this active in a while.

Three ferrets really are superb.

Just wait man soon the food will be dug out and all over the damn place.

Darth Do'Urden
Fri Feb 22nd, 2013, 05:00 PM
Just wait man soon the food will be dug out and all over the damn place.

LOL...so far she hasn't dug at the food at all. I'm hoping that the ferretone on the food helps keep her more interested in eating it than playing in it. We'll see.

I'd rather her dig at the food than the toilet...that's just gross. =)

Darth Do'Urden
Sat Mar 2nd, 2013, 12:05 PM
Because this thread needed an update.... =P

All three of my ferrets were playing directly together this morning for the first time (that I know of). It was splendid. A bundle of ferret fur in the middle of the living room, all dooking and hissing and having a ball.

Ifrit has learned how to climb into the computer chair and onto the computer desk. One day he decided he could make the two foot distance and leaped from the chair, catching the keyboard tray cliffhanger style, then clawed himself up the rest of the way. That dude is a climber and half!

Health wise, everyone seems to be fine, so I guess all the stool issues were a false alarm, or at least something that passed.

UHATEIT
Sun Mar 3rd, 2013, 11:01 PM
Bad luck for me. My wife and I moved into a house yesterday and the tall ferret cage didn't fit into the uhaul because we had too much stuff. So I came back to my apt with my truck and grabbed it. Being a total fucking idiot I stood it straight up in the truck rather than laying it down (still had ice in the back and didn't want their bedding to get wet tho). And my neighbor said he would go and check if he had rope to tie down. I thought nah I won't need it. Well I get about 1/2 mile onto the 225 freeway and it flew out the back into the freeway. Lucking I was in the slow lame and it fell to the side. But it broke it all apart and bent some metal and broke some shelving and their toilet was shattered. Some of it may be salvagable but the good news is their beddings (hammocks, monkey, pirate ship, tunnels, cubes) all thayed perfectly in tact, no tears or rips or broken clasps. Imagine that. Anyways they are cageless right now except for this tiny little rabbit cage they came in. if any of you guys have a spare cage like a huge one, or are planning to buy a new one soon, I am in the market to buy a large cage for them. This sucks as I spent a ton on this thing and got tons of items for them inside to crawl in and ill probably be settling for a much smaller cage. But ill be scouring craigslist for one too!

Darth Do'Urden
Mon Mar 4th, 2013, 10:44 AM
Dude...that friggin' sucks! I'll keep an eye out for anything, but I don't personally have anything around the house that would help. =/

Grim2.0
Mon Mar 4th, 2013, 11:07 AM
Damn, unfortunately i only have the one cage just keep your eyes peeled on CL there's always cages up for sale.

Grim2.0
Mon Mar 4th, 2013, 11:16 AM
I finally managed to get a pic of all three in one shot the other day

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h54/irishrussianpunk/gcc/photo-5_zps1e5ee974.png

UHATEIT
Tue Mar 5th, 2013, 09:21 AM
Well I was able to use a ton of zip ties and strap everything back together pretty well, tore up my hands making it nice and tight together. They seem to not mind and all shelves and items are back in the cage. Surprised that a 10 foot ramm out of my lifted truck and onto the freeway at 50mph that this thing help up so well. Only thing that shattered was their corner potty. Bought a new one for $7. But I will check CL for a nice cage. I saw some the other day but being slammed with the move I haven't gotten the chance to call or check anything.

Grim2.0
Sat Mar 9th, 2013, 11:16 PM
Say hello to Odin

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h54/irishrussianpunk/gcc/image-1_zps47462d07.jpg

UHATEIT
Sun Mar 10th, 2013, 09:27 AM
Super cute! Are you now at 4 ferrets? You guys are nuts! My 2 shit bricks all day long especially Bandit he eats like a pig. I'm still rocking the zip tied cage until I find a better one. Grim I didn't go upstairs and see your cage. But from the looks of your picture its a sweet Ferret Nation right? I know that's what Darth got. I've been scopin CL for the tall one to pop up. BTW guys when weather warms up we should do another ferret play day my little kids could use some friends again to play with

Grim2.0
Sun Mar 10th, 2013, 10:33 AM
It may be due to the Marshall diet but ours don't crap a whole lot, this new one will just because he is a kit but I can go at least 2 days before cleaning there box with no issues.

Darth's cage is about a foot taller than mine and his doors open in the front my door open on the side and I can slide them right off. When Odin gets bigger we are going to buy a second cage and ill connect them so they have even more room.

Darth Do'Urden
Sun Mar 10th, 2013, 02:55 PM
4...wow. Congrats on the addition! Has your wife had enough yet? LOL...

We're experiencing the "crap factory" that a kit can be. With the two grown boys I could go two days between scoopings...not with her in the mix.

How old is Odin? Rescue or Petco? His color looks similar to Loki from the pic.

Grim2.0
Sun Mar 10th, 2013, 03:08 PM
4...wow. Congrats on the addition! Has your wife had enough yet? LOL...

We're experiencing the "crap factory" that a kit can be. With the two grown boys I could go two days between scoopings...not with her in the mix.

How old is Odin? Rescue or Petco? His color looks similar to Loki from the pic.

Well Odin was a kit from petco but unfortunatly we had to take him back this afternoon. His temperament and attempt to be dominant over was not going to go over well, especially with Loki because he is the dominant ferret of the bunch.
Way too much biting going on and hissing in a bad way coming from the kit. Was best that he either A. Stay with his litter or B. be by himself until he can be trained a little.

UHATEIT
Sun Mar 10th, 2013, 07:09 PM
We feed ours marshalls senior formula which is for ferrets over 4+ years, overweight ferrets, and less active ferrets. They're over 4 years and bandit is fat as fuck. He eats all the time bella is pretty lax on eating. But they poop a lot in their corner potty. I clean out every night. If I could go 2 days id like that. Bandit also rebels and pees and poops inthe opposite corner a lot also so it can smell when he misses the potty. Id love for thm to last longer without stinking up the place.

Darth Do'Urden
Mon Mar 11th, 2013, 06:45 AM
That sucks about Odin =(.

UHATEIT, I've noticed that if the poop pile gets too big, my ferrets will find somewhere else to go. They don't like stepping in waste, so they will try to find a different place to go. I've got two of those big corner litter boxes set up, and if I don't empty every day, then they start looking for more creative place to go, especially the kit. So even though the litter isn't "full" per se, it's full enough for the fuzzies to look elsewhere to do their business, sometimes much to my chagrin.

Grim2.0
Mon Mar 11th, 2013, 08:40 AM
We feed ours marshalls senior formula which is for ferrets over 4+ years, overweight ferrets, and less active ferrets. They're over 4 years and bandit is fat as fuck. He eats all the time bella is pretty lax on eating. But they poop a lot in their corner potty. I clean out every night. If I could go 2 days id like that. Bandit also rebels and pees and poops inthe opposite corner a lot also so it can smell when he misses the potty. Id love for thm to last longer without stinking up the place.

Pretty standard for bandit to be big he packed on the weight for winter, try cutting back putting the ferretone on the food and just spoon feed it to them. In the spring he should start losing weight. Also make sure you guys start cleaning their hammocks and bedding often for the next month or so they will start shedding soon and they shed a ton,gotta keep the risk of hair balls away and it will keep allergies at bay. I furminated mine the other day, you'll notice that there colors will change, most of the time their fur gets darker.

UHATEIT
Mon Mar 11th, 2013, 08:52 AM
I have noticed a lot of shedding on the carpet, our house we just moved into has white carpet and I can see bandit's hair is on the carpet. I have an attached food tray/bucket that hangs off the side of the cage and that is what they eat out of. They can eat as they please and sometimes it seems like bandit will just chill there are scarf food.

As for the corner potty, I only have one, I would imagine the cage would be really cramped if I put a second one in there but if it allows them to go in 2 seperate places that would be good. I am surprised with your guys having 3 ferrets you can go 2 days before its full enough to warrant cleaning whereas mine is pretty full after 1 day with just 2 ferrets.

I've been giving them the ferretone stuff on a spoon and they love it, only every 2nd or 3rd day tho but Bandit's coat is super fluffy now, bella is still stick thin despite always eating and having the ferretone as well, tho her hair is slightly fluffier but nowhere near that of Bandit

Darth Do'Urden
Mon Mar 11th, 2013, 09:37 AM
I have noticed a lot of shedding on the carpet, our house we just moved into has white carpet and I can see bandit's hair is on the carpet. I have an attached food tray/bucket that hangs off the side of the cage and that is what they eat out of. They can eat as they please and sometimes it seems like bandit will just chill there are scarf food.

Errtu does the same thing. He just slumps at the food bowl and has a friggin' picknick while the other two play. But then he does get around and rough house with the kit, so he's still active...he just really likes his food.

I am surprised with your guys having 3 ferrets you can go 2 days before its full enough to warrant cleaning whereas mine is pretty full after 1 day with just 2 ferrets.

Let me clarify: with the kit added to the mix (for a total of 3 ferrets), I can NOT go 2 days between scoopings--she just shits too much. I might be able to go back to every other day scoopings after she's grown, but not right now.

I've been giving them the ferretone stuff on a spoon and they love it, only every 2nd or 3rd day tho but Bandit's coat is super fluffy now, bella is still stick thin despite always eating and having the ferretone as well, tho her hair is slightly fluffier but nowhere near that of Bandit

Ifrit is the same way as Bella. He eats quite a bit, and gets more of the Ferretone than Errtu does, yet his coat is still just "normal", not super thick and fluffy like Errtu's. He's also quite skinny...but again, he eats well and is active, so I'm pretty sure he's still healthy.

I'm finding out through a lot of reading and whatnot (as well as my own experience thus far) that ferrets seem to be as varied as humans when it comes to coloring, hair types, reactions to diet, level of activity, metabolism, desired amount of sleep, moods, etc. As long as Bella is eating/drinking well, expelling well, isn't having any sort of abnormal hair loss (patches) and is as playful as is normal for her, then I'd say she's fine...just different.

As to color change...I'm intrigued to see if they do. Errtu's coat does seem to have gotten lighter in the past several weeks (my son was the first to point it out), but Ifrit is the same cinnamon color as ever.

Thanks for the heads up on shedding. With the kit making a mess everywhere in the cage, washings have increased to every weekend from the every two weeks I was doing it, so I think I've unwittingly gotten the jump on the shedding issue, but good to be aware of nonetheless. I've also got the grown boys on Ferret-lax (given every 3 days), so they should be covered well against hairballs.

UHATEIT
Mon Mar 11th, 2013, 11:53 AM
Here is a funny video I shot of Bella playing in a box of styrofoam. The first time she climbed in she had a blast and was rolling around and chewing on the styrofoam. Then when I got the cell camera she wasn't having as much fun wish I got the first part of her antics on tape, but this was funny either tho she keeps trying to jump out of there.

Here is the picture:

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l72/widerisbetter/th_video-2013-03-10-21-25-18_zps007e489b.jpg (http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l72/widerisbetter/video-2013-03-10-21-25-18_zps007e489b.mp4)

Here is the video, was finally able to get it on youtube:
http://youtu.be/Y-00xg2HZsk

Darth Do'Urden
Wed Mar 20th, 2013, 07:19 AM
My baby girl Luna is getting bigger and growing up too fast. I'm not prepared for this. How do I stop it? =(

Darth Do'Urden
Wed Apr 17th, 2013, 10:08 PM
Fellow ferret lovers, I found a pretty great site to get ferret stuff from: www.drsfostersmith.com

For one, there are some harness-and-leash combos on there for like $7. 15' (4" diameter) ferret tubes are $17. But what I found most intriguing was that Ferretone was about half the price of the pet stores. 8oz. bottle was only $5 and some change, whereas I've been paying nearly double that for the same exact brand at Petco.

Also, they have their own ferret food formula that has one of the best ingredient listings I've ever seen on ferret food. No wheat gluten or flour, no corn, no carbs, no veggies or fruit, and no meat by-products. It also lists all the vital ingredients that ferrets DO need, with some crucial ones being in the top 6-7 items. In fact, they also carry the exact food I've been using (Zupreem No Corn formula) at a much better price, but when I compared the ingredient listing I was astounded at how much better it was than the Zupreem. And it's CONSIDERABLY more food than 8lbs. for $30 I've been getting.

Anyway, just thought I'd share. Just placed a $100 order for a bunch of stuff. =)

UHATEIT
Thu Apr 18th, 2013, 07:55 AM
I have been ordering my stuff off ferret.com as I get the Marshalls Senior 4+ blend for my little kids. $11/bag for the 4 pound bag and it is $19.99 plus tax at Petco. Ferret.com does free shipping if you spend a certain amount and I always can find 10% off coupons online. They seem to love it!

I also get the Furotone off their as well, 16 oz bottle for $11 as well, so slightly more than you got yours for at $5 for the 8oz. Another thing I like I don't know if any of you use it, the Odor Gone stuff that you can squirt into their water and their food to make the pee/poop smell not as bad. I get the 32oz bottle for $20 on their. The price for that stuff is raiging drastically at petco! I saw it at $16.99 for the 8oz the other day WTF. I paid 3 bucks more for 4 times the quantity.

Now the only thing I need to find a deal on is that World's Best Cat Litter stuff, as I can only seem to find the small 7lb bag and I wish I could get a larger bag for less. Have any of you tried other cheaper brands? I have seen 32oz bags for $10.99 of tidy cat, but that stuff is brobably dusty and will mess with the ferrets. ANy other suggestions or just deal with the cost of the World's Best?

Placed a $92 order yesterday for their refreshment of food, treats, odor gone and furotone, if they sold cat litter on ferret.com I am sure it would be cheaper!

Grim2.0
Thu Apr 18th, 2013, 08:23 AM
I have been ordering my stuff off ferret.com as I get the Marshalls Senior 4+ blend for my little kids. $11/bag for the 4 pound bag and it is $19.99 plus tax at Petco. Ferret.com does free shipping if you spend a certain amount and I always can find 10% off coupons online. They seem to love it!

I also get the Furotone off their as well, 16 oz bottle for $11 as well, so slightly more than you got yours for at $5 for the 8oz. Another thing I like I don't know if any of you use it, the Odor Gone stuff that you can squirt into their water and their food to make the pee/poop smell not as bad. I get the 32oz bottle for $20 on their. The price for that stuff is raiging drastically at petco! I saw it at $16.99 for the 8oz the other day WTF. I paid 3 bucks more for 4 times the quantity.

Now the only thing I need to find a deal on is that World's Best Cat Litter stuff, as I can only seem to find the small 7lb bag and I wish I could get a larger bag for less. Have any of you tried other cheaper brands? I have seen 32oz bags for $10.99 of tidy cat, but that stuff is brobably dusty and will mess with the ferrets. ANy other suggestions or just deal with the cost of the World's Best?

Placed a $92 order yesterday for their refreshment of food, treats, odor gone and furotone, if they sold cat litter on ferret.com I am sure it would be cheaper!

Worlds best cat litter is really the only cat litter you can use with ferrets as it does not have any dust at all, any others will cause them to get respiratory infections from the dust.

UHATEIT
Thu Apr 18th, 2013, 08:38 AM
also is is the first spring with the kids, noticed bandit is getting lighter color and bella is getting a golden orange/brown mixed in with her bright white she was. I assume thats normal?

Grim2.0
Thu Apr 18th, 2013, 08:48 AM
also is is the first spring with the kids, noticed bandit is getting lighter color and bella is getting a golden orange/brown mixed in with her bright white she was. I assume thats normal?

Yup they change colors twice a year, during spring then again during winter.

Darth Do'Urden
Thu Apr 18th, 2013, 09:11 AM

Color change is definitely normal. From what I've gathered, nearly all ferrets change color with seasons as well as with age.

As for the additive that reduces waste odors...the waste from my ferrets really doesn't have much odor at all. I can only smell it if I accidentally get REALLY close to the dust pan when I'm scooping out their litter boxes (I have to get my head into the cage and sometimes not paying attention to how close I'm holding the scoopings to my face). I've been reading a lot on ferret food and diet the past couple of days, and without fail there is always mention of how giving them the proper diet (not just "ferret food") will go extremely far in keeping the odors down.

It's been difficult to find a truly good quality formula that doesn't have a bunch of fillers or by-products in them and contain the nutrients that the unique ferret digestive system requires. Almost everything has wheat gluten, flour, meat by-products, corn, fish (which should really not be in the food at all, but if it is at least pretty far down the list...it's really not the kind of protein that ferrets need), oats, etc. All of that stuff is pretty much garbage for ferrets, and may even be attributing factors to renal and adrenal problems, which ferrets are already susceptible.

For instance, the "Premium Diets by Marshall" contains "Chicken By-Products (organs only, including chicken liver), Herring Meal, Corn, Cod Fish" as its first four ingredients. None of those ingredients are anywhere near ideal for ferrets. It also has a Crude Fiber percentage of 3.5% minimum, when it seems that it should be NO MORE than 2.5% MAX. Compare that to the Doctors Foster and Smith Signature Series formula: Chicken Meal, Brown Rice, Chicken Fat (preserved with citric acid and mixed tocopherols), Dried Egg Product, Natural Flavor, Lamb Meal as its first SIX ingredients, with no corn, wheat, meat by-products, soy, or added sweeteners.

I just don't get why a major player in the ferret category uses such garbage in their formulas, other than it's cheaper. I'm even calling off of the Zupreem that I've been using, because even it has wheat and wheat flour in its top ingredients. I'm also thinking about introducing some actual chicken meat into their diet on occasion. Maybe try both cooked and uncooked and see how that goes.

Anyhoo...that's my two bits on the food and odor issue.

As for litter...I concur with Grim. I say just suck up the price of the World's Best Cat Litter. It really is worth it, in my opinion, but finding a better price somewhere would always be welcome!

Errtu is slimming up quite a bit from his winter weight gain. Starting to see some definition again! The kit it giving him quite a bit of exercise. =)

Ifrit is doing great as well. We've discovered that while he's quite the skilled climber and escape artist, a "jumper" he is not. Errtu is the jumper, but doesn't hardly climb anything. Luna seems to be BOTH...so she's gonna be a bear to keep in check!

UHATEIT
Thu Apr 18th, 2013, 11:18 AM
Dang Marshall for making it seem like the 4+ year senior formula was good. I have gone hrough 4 bags and just bought 4 more. They love it :) I assumed it was good seeing as it comes from Marshall. Says goof for 4+ years, overweight, and less active ferrets so I fig it was goot shit!

Bella is still skinny as heck, but bandit is huge and fluffy, his coat looks much better due to the furotone. Bella isn't that fluffy and not gained any weight over winter.

and hold up Darth you said new kit, did you get one? I remember you returned one but didnt know you ended up wit one

Grim2.0
Thu Apr 18th, 2013, 11:29 AM
Dang Marshall for making it seem like the 4+ year senior formula was good. I have gone hrough 4 bags and just bought 4 more. They love it :) I assumed it was good seeing as it comes from Marshall. Says goof for 4+ years, overweight, and less active ferrets so I fig it was goot shit!

Bella is still skinny as heck, but bandit is huge and fluffy, his coat looks much better due to the furotone. Bella isn't that fluffy and not gained any weight over winter.

and hold up Darth you said new kit, did you get one? I remember you returned one but didnt know you ended up wit one

No that was me that returned one, Darth got one before we got a 4th, I have always used the Marshall food and will continue to, My fuzzies have to stay on that diet in order to meet the "Marshall Guarantee". never had issues with it.

All three of mine have the same mentality, once that cage is open its go bat shit crazy and wrestle the crap out of each other, I have been noticing that Leena likes to antagonize both Kiera and Loki and get them riled up to wrestle. Kiera has managed a few times to open my suitcase which is in the closet, how the hell a ferret figured out a Zipper is beyond me but she does and i find her sleeping in it. Too smart for their own good.

Darth Do'Urden
Thu Apr 18th, 2013, 11:53 AM
Dang Marshall for making it seem like the 4+ year senior formula was good. I have gone through 4 bags and just bought 4 more. They love it :) I assumed it was good seeing as it comes from Marshall. Says good for 4+ years, overweight, and less active ferrets so I fig it was good shit!

Marshalls is like most companies: they have themselves in mind. You as the consumer and responsible parent have to be the one to compare everything and do your own research, for you are ultimately the one responsible for their well being. Marshalls just wants to make as much money off of you as they can in the meantime. In and of itself that's fine, but not when they're not providing a quality product. Fortunately for us, ingredient listings make it relatively easy to see if the food is actually quality food beyond merely the claims and name of the company trying to sell it.

I don't think anyone is trying to imply that if you continue to use Marshalls food that your ferrets are going to die in 6 months. But I do think that a less ideal diet and ingredients that are ultimately hard on a ferret's system and at the very least are not beneficial may result in a shorter life span, and possibly a contributing factor to renal and adrenal problems.

I'm certainly not judging or condemning Grim for using Marshalls food--he feels that he's doing the best by his fuzzies. But to me, even for the guarantee, I don't feel it's worth it. I think the likelihood of any issue actually making itself known in the first year (the extent of the guarantee) is quite low, regardless of what food one is using, and as such there is very little risk for Marshalls either way. But during that year, they're making money off you, and in most cases will probably continue to do so as you are now "committed" and familiar out of habit.

I do know that with all the ferret owners out there that still believe that it's ok to feed a ferret cat food and use cat litter, there isn't nearly enough education and information for people to understand how to raise a ferret. Couple that with the fact that a lot of supposed "ferret foods" are actually relabeled mink formulas, and you've got a huge recipe for confusion and debate.

It's the same in the dog and cat community. Too many owners think it's ok to just feed their pets whatever shit is sold at Wal-Mart or the grocery store because they've seen all the damn commercials instead of actually researching what's BEST for the animal. And even veterinarians are culpable because they also carry foods loaded with adjuncts and fillers and tons of ingredients that the animal doesn't even need, all because some stupid company puts up a guise of being all "scientific" (I'm looking at you, Iams).

Bella is still skinny as heck, but bandit is huge and fluffy, his coat looks much better due to the furotone. Bella isn't that fluffy and not gained any weight over winter.Same with Ifrit. Skinny as ever, no weight gain...still happy as ever. No worries. =)

Grim2.0
Thu Apr 18th, 2013, 12:03 PM
Marshalls is like most companies: they have themselves in mind. You as the consumer and responsible parent have to be the one to compare everything and do your own research, for you are ultimately the one responsible for their well being. Marshalls just wants to make as much money off of you as they can in the meantime. In and of itself that's fine, but not when they're not providing a quality product. Fortunately for us, ingredient listings make it relatively easy to see if the food is actually quality food beyond merely the claims and name of the company trying to sell it.

I don't think anyone is trying to imply that if you continue to use Marshalls food that your ferrets are going to die in 6 months. But I do think that a less ideal diet and ingredients that are ultimately hard on a ferret's system and at the very least are not beneficial may result in a shorter life span, and possibly a contributing factor to renal and adrenal problems.

I do know that with all the ferret owners out there that still believe that it's ok to feed a ferret cat food and use cat litter, there isn't nearly enough education and information for people to understand how to raise a ferret. Couple that with the fact that a lot of supposed "ferret foods" are actually relabeled mink formulas, and you've got a huge recipe for confusion and debate.

It's the same in the dog and cat community. Too many owners think it's ok to just feed their pets whatever shit is sold at Wal-Mart or the grocery store because they've seen all the damn commercials instead of actually researching what's BEST for the animal. And even veterinarians are culpable because they also carry foods loaded with adjuncts and fillers and tons of ingredients that the animal doesn't even need, all because some stupid company puts up a guise of being all "scientific" (I'm looking at you, Iams).

Same with Ifrit. Skinny as ever, no weight gain...still happy as ever. No worries. =)

if you have a Kit and you keep it on the Marshall premium ferret diet for a year then it will keep them healthy when it is most important. This is the Marshall guarantee. These foods are not evaluated by the FDA so there may be things in the food we do not see be it good or bad.

Alas in a few months I am going to switch over to the Zupreme as Loki's craps have been a bit runny and he is a year old now, I don't think his body really wants the Marshall an longer, it did what it needed to as he was growing up and kept him and Kiera very healthy and happy.

UHATEIT
Thu Apr 18th, 2013, 12:21 PM
With my ferrets having been over 4 years when I got them, they came with that crappy yellow and blue cheapy bag of ferret food you can get. Not sure how long they were on that but they have survived this long. They are very active and friendly and love to get out of the cage and play!

Ph03niX
Thu Apr 18th, 2013, 12:26 PM
I went to petco the other day with my girlfriend to look at some saltwater fish and found out they had ferrets! I went nuts but my girlfriend was just kinda iffy. She says theyre like furry snakes (she hates snakes), I like to think of them more as a furry slinky lol.

Theyre just so freakin adorable. I loved playing with them!

Darth Do'Urden
Thu Apr 18th, 2013, 12:29 PM
UHATEIT, I would encourage you to do some googling and lots of reading on ferret nutrition and food, don't just take our word for it. Read multiple sources, even answers.yahoo, as there's a lot of good info out there, you just have to do some digging.

For what it's worth, I've found nary a good thing said about Marshalls. But do the research and reading...your ferrets will thank you!

UHATEIT
Thu Apr 18th, 2013, 12:30 PM
I was the one all over it and my wife kept saying NO. Then she went to petco and was in love with them there and wanted one. We also have a 4 foot snake and my wife loves to play with him he is very friendly. We also have 2 chihuahuas and they get along great with the ferrets, they paw at each other and sniff each other and play tug o war with the dog toys

UHATEIT
Thu Apr 18th, 2013, 12:34 PM
UHATEIT, I would encourage you to do some googling and lots of reading on ferret nutrition and food, don't just take our word for it. Read multiple sources, even answers.yahoo, as there's a lot of good info out there, you just have to do some digging.

For what it's worth, I've found nary a good thing said about Marshalls. But do the research and reading...your ferrets will thank you!

I went with the zupreem stuff for 1 bag then swapped to the ferret supreme senior formula. They seemed to like both just as well. They have been very active and they crap like crazy and it seems to be in good form not to wet or soggy or rock hard. When I pour it into their bowl bandit comes running like a beast to get food, bella eats at her leisure :)

Sorry I missed the last play date, we should have one again sometime when its warm. I need to get my kids to the park and let them play in the grass.

Darth Do'Urden
Thu Apr 18th, 2013, 12:38 PM
Sorry I missed the last play date, we should have one again sometime when its warm. I need to get my kids to the park and let them play in the grass.

It ended being cancelled, so we need to reschedule for sometime soon! I'm game for hosting as well...either way, I'm in...I don't care where. =)

UHATEIT
Thu Apr 18th, 2013, 12:40 PM
It ended being cancelled, so we need to reschedule for sometime soon! I'm game for hosting as well...either way, I'm in...I don't care where. =)

sweet if there is advanced notice I know my wife wants to show up and see them all going nuts as well

Grim2.0
Thu Apr 18th, 2013, 12:49 PM
Yea ill schedule that again, and this time I won't forget about it :lol:.

Kyle if you take yours to the park make sure you have all there shots up to date, remember these little guys can get the same colds we can so any bugs around or anything outside that can get us sick will get them sick.

UHATEIT
Thu Apr 18th, 2013, 01:02 PM
Yea ill schedule that again, and this time I won't forget about it :lol:.

Kyle if you take yours to the park make sure you have all there shots up to date, remember these little guys can get the same colds we can so any bugs around or anything outside that can get us sick will get them sick.

My wife and I discovered a great friendly local pet shop that actually does low cost vaccination clinics once a month. They do dogs and ferrets! So we are planning to bring the 2 ferrets and the 2 dogs there on monday May 6th to get all of them with their yearly shots. This should get them all updated and on the same schedule so we wont forget. Its like $17/dog for all shots and then the ferrets are like $10 for their yearly. I have their pamphlet. Very professional and friendly shop with lots of items cheaper than any pet store I've seen. I am glad we found this place.

I want to wait until summer to get them outside, such as a warm 75+ degree day and let them roam in the sun on the grass.

Grim2.0
Thu Apr 18th, 2013, 01:11 PM
Let me know where and what place that is I have 3 ferrets and a cat so Cheap is good :lol:

UHATEIT
Thu Apr 18th, 2013, 01:26 PM
Place also does low cost vaccinations for cats too. It is called Pet Club at the corner of Mississippi and Chambers. We found it because we bought a groupon for the place next door called South Philly Grill. Got me a BOMB ASS cheesesteak on fresh bread with bacon in it! Great selection of food if you ever want to try that place and tasted awesome! While there we walked to the pet store nect door, they will meet and beat ANY bet shop price they said, if you find it lower they will call and verify the price, give you their price plus take 5% off of that. had great prices on my dog food and we bought some treats and a bed for our dogs. They had a sign about the low cost vaccinations and they went into a whole thing about it and gave us the cost sheet and pamphlet.

Next session is Monday May 6th from 530-8pm. That's when we plan to haul the family there and get all their shots. Also they said no appointments needed. Sounds like a good deal if I can get all 4 animals with shot for like $80 I believe. I'll have to check the pamphlet when I get home on prices. I remember tho dogs were $17, an extra $5 if you want rabies and then get the metal tags for the collar too.

Grim2.0
Thu Apr 18th, 2013, 01:40 PM
Place also does low cost vaccinations for cats too. It is called Pet Club at the corner of Mississippi and Chambers. We found it because we bought a groupon for the place next door called South Philly Grill. Got me a BOMB ASS cheesesteak on fresh bread with bacon in it! Great selection of food if you ever want to try that place and tasted awesome! While there we walked to the pet store nect door, they will meet and beat ANY bet shop price they said, if you find it lower they will call and verify the price, give you their price plus take 5% off of that. had great prices on my dog food and we bought some treats and a bed for our dogs. They had a sign about the low cost vaccinations and they went into a whole thing about it and gave us the cost sheet and pamphlet.

Next session is Monday May 6th from 530-8pm. That's when we plan to haul the family there and get all their shots

What are they charging for rabies shots?

UHATEIT
Thu Apr 18th, 2013, 01:44 PM
I'll check the pamphlet when I get home and post up. I believe dog rabies was $5 and includes the metal tag for their collars. They do rabies for cats and ferrets as well. I'll let you know later tho. All in all the prices were good!

Darth Do'Urden
Thu Apr 18th, 2013, 02:11 PM
I going to get the ferrets out in the park when the weather warms up (for real), so I'm also interested in getting their shots up to date. Those prices (if still accurate) look pretty great. There's a vet near me that has an alleged ferret expert on staff, so I'll see how their prices compare.

UHATEIT
Thu Apr 18th, 2013, 05:15 PM
Weak sauce, I got home and checke the prices, more than I thought. Dogs yearly is $17, Cats yearly are $18, and Ferrets yearly is $25. Thought the ferrets were much cheaper but they are not.

I'm going to the one on Mississippi and Chambers on May 6th. but they have other Pet Clubs that do this per their paperwork. There is a Pet Club on E. Arapahoe, also one on Kipling, and also one on W. broadway.

I haven't shipped around at prices but my wife was spending a crapload for our dogs at the local (very nice) vet the last 3 years, but back in CA we always hit the low cost clinics for the best prices.

Darth Do'Urden
Thu Apr 18th, 2013, 08:08 PM
My wife recorded Luna earlier today playing ball with her. Luna will hide in the closet and if you roll her little red ball under the door, she will knock it back out and wait for you to roll back under again.

Once she gets it up on youtube I'll post it here.

Jmetz
Fri Apr 19th, 2013, 08:53 AM
Spotted Grim on the way to work this morning.

http://i1231.photobucket.com/albums/ee511/jmetz9/4CC5E46A-A6DC-488D-84B0-BA57FADC98E4-33508-00000445E1C2B45D.jpg

Grim2.0
Fri Apr 19th, 2013, 09:16 AM
Spotted Grim on the way to work this morning.

http://i1231.photobucket.com/albums/ee511/jmetz9/4CC5E46A-A6DC-488D-84B0-BA57FADC98E4-33508-00000445E1C2B45D.jpg

BLASPHEMY!!!!

I sold my Jeep years ago :D

Darth Do'Urden
Mon Apr 22nd, 2013, 12:05 PM
Got my shipment of ferret goodies in this weekend. They had an absolute BLAST in the ball pit and tunnel! 2 ferrets trying to wrestle inside a 4" tube is pretty friggin' hilarious.

Started the food transition. So far so good. Also tried to give them some cooked white chicken meat...just a few little shreds...no go. They didn't give one single crap about that stuff. I didn't try sticking it directly in their mouths, so trying that might yield different results.

As the weather starts to improve toward the weekend, we're gonna look at getting them outside a short bit in their harnesses and let them experience the outside world for the first time. Should be quite interesting =).

UHATEIT
Mon Apr 22nd, 2013, 12:55 PM
No shit you got the ball pit! I saw that at Petco and thought it looked hilarious and fun! I was about to buy one but when we moved into the house I accidentally left a cardboard box with styrofoam in it on the floor and they both crawled into it and played like rabid beasts going wild so I ended up just sticking with it. I posted the pic the other day and a video but man they seem to love it. I leave it in thee room and they keep trying to climb into it to get there and play:

Here is the picture:

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l72/widerisbetter/th_video-2013-03-10-21-25-18_zps007e489b.jpg (http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l72/widerisbetter/video-2013-03-10-21-25-18_zps007e489b.mp4)

And the youtube vid:
http://youtu.be/Y-00xg2HZsk

You guys probably already saw the above, sorry for double posting!

Darth Do'Urden
Wed Apr 24th, 2013, 11:19 AM
My wife caught this pic of Ifrit yesterday. She calls it "sleep ninja":

http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n35/Salacious_Sith/SleepNinja_zpse87afb46.jpg (http://s108.photobucket.com/user/Salacious_Sith/media/SleepNinja_zpse87afb46.jpg.html)

Grim2.0
Wed Apr 24th, 2013, 11:33 AM
:spit:

the fuzzy curl!

Darth Do'Urden
Tue Apr 30th, 2013, 08:45 AM
Here's a handy food chart I found: http://moredooks.herobo.com/search.php?chart=ferret . There are several cat/kitten foods listed, with which I disagree with the inclusion of. The types and levels of protein and other primary ingredients may be good, but it's the inclusion of other ingredients (typically lots of vegetables/vegetable derivatives) that I have an issue with. Also, ferret digestive systems are much faster than a cat (or even a kitten), and as such I believe that a lot of those beneficial ingredients are lost due to how the ferret does (or does not) process them.

Anyway, cat food aside, this is a pretty good chart for figuring out the best balance of cost:benefit. Also keep in mind that just because your ferret seems to "like" what you're currently feeding him and that he appears to be "doing well" on it does not mean that it isn't doing long-term damage to him. I think of it like this: I may be "doing fine" on a diet of Burger King and Mt. Dew, but that crap will catch up to me when I have a heart attack at the ripe old age of 55. In the same vein, it's becoming more and more understood that poor and/or inadequate diet is one of the leading causes in later-life cancer, insulinoma, and other ferret problems.

I've also been learning that there's really no one single food that carries everything a ferret needs. A lot of people more knowledgeable than I highly recommend mixing 2-3 different foods so as to cover all the bases for a ferret's dietary needs. I think for this reason I'm going to continue to use a kibble that complements and supplements the Foster&Smith formula. I just to figure out what that is.

On a similar note, giving your ferret(s) too much Ferretone can lead to loose stools (something about too much protein or the "type" of protein). If you're having this issue, try backing off the Ferretone a bit. There are some other issues with Ferretone, but nothing that prohibits its use in smaller doses.

Again, a lot of this is a deposit into the future health and longevity of a ferret's life.

Grim2.0
Thu May 2nd, 2013, 10:47 PM
My wife caught this pic of Ifrit yesterday. She calls it "sleep ninja":

http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n35/Salacious_Sith/SleepNinja_zpse87afb46.jpg (http://s108.photobucket.com/user/Salacious_Sith/media/SleepNinja_zpse87afb46.jpg.html)

Darth I see a trend here, this was Lina this morning in there new square hammock I got them.

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h54/irishrussianpunk/gcc/62634248c62b71e3d780c8947e367f7c_zpsd3ed813a.jpg

:spit:

Darth Do'Urden
Sat May 4th, 2013, 10:01 PM
Awesome time with the floor full of fuzzies! You really missed it, UHATEIT. The tunnel and box/ball pit was a hit! Nothing like four ferrets in a single tunnel just GOIN' AT IT.

UHATEIT
Sat May 4th, 2013, 10:18 PM
I had 2 passes left for Loveland and since they close tomorrow I had to use them. Otherwise id have been there today! I will make an appearance at another event! Had bandit and bella out after boarding today and they were active as hell and dooking like crazy. They'll be getting their yearly shots Monday and will be lively for the next ferret day.

Grim2.0
Mon Aug 19th, 2013, 11:10 PM
Since UHATEIT made it to this party it was a 8 ferret frenzy!!

http://youtu.be/XrttAon8_ZU

UHATEIT
Wed Aug 21st, 2013, 09:20 AM
Great video, my wife enjoyed watching it as well and she hopes to make it to the next one. Looks like Bella got a lot of face time in the video as well :)