PDA

View Full Version : WRX STI or EVO X?

Clovis
Mon Jan 28th, 2013, 01:23 PM
I'm starting to give this more thought. I figure purchase could be between now and end of summer'ish, depending on the end price. We're having a new house built so I'll wait until the house if it means increasing my payments or taking money out from savings (currently set aside for the house down payment).

Currently I have a 2011 WRX. Fun car, just put brand new tires on it last week!

I can get a brand new STI from Hueburger for $31,846 + $389 DH fee.

If I trade in my WRX, this means the STI payments would be the same as what I'm currently paying but starting the term over of course. I owe about $15k on the WRX -- trade in is something like $21k. The STI will be paid off in either

Normally I'm against trading in but one benefit is you get the deduct the trade in value on sales tax and our taxes just went up. This saves $1312 so it's kind of like getting $22.3K =)

I'm also looking at the Evo X which to be honest I like better on paper.

The MR version (6 speed auto with twin-clutch, paddle shifters and launch control = yummy and that means my wife can drive it too).

I havne't actually driven either car. The EVO's are hard to find new at least in the Springs.

My own research breaks it down like this:

EVO: More sport - handles better, very easy to drive, inspires driver confidence.

STI: A close second but what you give up in handling and sport, it makes up with overall confort and daily practicality.

I would be looking at the Sedan version for the STI, I don't really care for the hatchback version.

I'm sure there are some STI / EVO owners here. Thoughts?

Boom
Mon Jan 28th, 2013, 02:23 PM
Currently I have a 2011 WRX. Fun car, just put brand new tires on it last week!

Two questions first:
What's your justification for a new one?
Is this your daily driver only, or are you going to track/race it?

Clovis
Mon Jan 28th, 2013, 02:24 PM
1) Just something I want
2) Daily driver, occasional canyon fun.

Regarding #2 I usually use my motorcycle for that.

Ezzzzy1
Mon Jan 28th, 2013, 02:34 PM
There is almost nothing better than launch control on these cars....

Cars-R-Coffins
Mon Jan 28th, 2013, 02:35 PM
Be like everyone else in Colorado and get a STI (sarcasm). EVOs definitely turn more heads but I've never owned either so...

JohnEffinK
Mon Jan 28th, 2013, 02:38 PM
GF just bought a WRX and was considering an STi also. I thought the ride of the STi was a little harsh for a daily driver. Although it does rip pretty good.

But then again, I am old and have a back that gives me trouble....

Keep the WRX and invest the money in a KTM 2-stroke!

John

madvlad
Mon Jan 28th, 2013, 02:41 PM
Keep the WRX and drop STi upgrades

Boom
Mon Jan 28th, 2013, 02:51 PM
Well congrats on the new house and the future new car.

I'll admit my bias right away, I'm an impreza man (I own one, not STI). My bias in fact takes me out of any real advice, but I'll offer you my opions on a few things, some uninvited but I couldn't resist:

- The Evo MR is more of a pure rally car... example, 2 liter turbo, just like WRC regulations state. Subaru has a 2.5 liter... its like cheating. If you're a purists this is a point for the Evo.

- Then again, wringing more power out of a smaller engine decreases its lifespan. A win for the WRX.

- Subaru has a boxer engine, rather than inline. The sound is way better, lower center of gravity, a clear win for the WRX.

- The evo is good looking, but the Subaru is Fugly hot.

- For 30 to 35K I wouldn't buy either. You can get a first gen Porsche Cayman S for that money today. If you say you need 4 wheel drive I say 911 Carrera 4. Believe it or not a 996 C4 (The first liquid cooled 911s, made from 98 to 05 or around there) are blue booking for less than what you're looking to spend, and will maintain resale better. And they are originally rally cars.

Sounds like I'll be jealous no matter what you choose. Have fun.

EVO8
Mon Jan 28th, 2013, 03:01 PM
I've owned both, get the EVO.

Captain Obvious
Mon Jan 28th, 2013, 03:57 PM

Looking at your handle, I can't imaging you being biased! :)

Clovis, that is a smoking price for the STI, when I was there 3 months ago, the STIs were still 34k+ area.

I went with the 5 door WRX, don't like the look as much, but needed the extra space of the hatch. So the EVO was out of consideration as well due to needing the hatch which I also wanted, but....

Also liked the simplicity of the WRX over my old Volvo or the STI.

Good luck.

laspariahs
Mon Jan 28th, 2013, 05:55 PM
Between those two, evo.

mxer
Mon Jan 28th, 2013, 06:10 PM
I have an 08 STI. Just keep your WRX, you already took the depreciation hit. There is little difference between the two now. Maybe you'll find out yourself when you test drive an STI

But if you insist the STI is way more practical, has better lower end torque and way better interior even though both are super cheap. Do you really want to own a Mitsubishi? The X is better for high performance driving but the STI is all around the better car for 99.999% of your driving.

FYI my STI has LC also, you just need a Cobb AP

So you had a ten then sold it to go to an 8?

Clovis
Mon Jan 28th, 2013, 06:15 PM
The 3rd option is of course keeping the WRX.

Regarding financing with the equity I have in the WRX, if I were to trade it in for a STI the payment would be the same. I might have to bring a grand or two to level it out.

Of course, that means losing the 26 payments I've already made and starting over at a 6 year term.

Drano pointed out when I ran this by him, that I should just get another bike (a FZ1) instead since I just use my car to tool around town, drive to work, ect. I use my bikes for the spirited driving.

I like the idea of the STI being able to do some basic bolt on mods (intake, exhaust) and that cobb access port I mentioned in another thread.

mxer
Mon Jan 28th, 2013, 06:17 PM
Why are you thinking in terms of payments? That's how sales people trick you into stuff. Think of the sum of your payments.

madvlad
Mon Jan 28th, 2013, 06:25 PM
You can do a COBB on your WRX, spend those 2 grand in mods instead of down payment and not get screwed on extra years of payments.

mxer
Mon Jan 28th, 2013, 06:34 PM
Oh yeah be prepared to have the STI feel slower than your WRX due to the different gearing.

EVO8
Mon Jan 28th, 2013, 07:45 PM
So you had a ten then sold it to go to an 8?

No, I've owned an 02 WRX and traded that in on an 03 EVO VIII then also bought an 04 STI(wifes) too but I've driven plenty of new EVO's and STI's through the years. We have EVO and STI clubs here in Colorado you know.;)

I'll stick with my 4G63.

sag
Mon Jan 28th, 2013, 07:55 PM
ive driven both extensively and had numerous examples of both in the shop. i owned a wrx. i would go evo x. aside from being objectively better in almost every way, itll be new and different for you. boxers are stupid, lower center of gravity? is that why the evo has always spanked the sti in any handling test? in last years motortrend lightning lap shootout they included an evo but not an sti, the next month due to numerous mail ins complaining they responded by saying they already know the evo outperforms the sti so they chose to leave it out. turbo subarus just eat the shit out of oil and saturate it with gasoline. theres a reason porsches have an oil capacity of 9+ qts. but subys only have 4.5. both ride harsh but the inline 4 is infinitely smoother running. both interiors suck but at least the evo has available recaros and the rockford fosgate sound system isnt half bad. both suck if you want to go REALLY fast, the mr trans is finicky when the car is modded and subaru bottom ends suck for big power.

if youre thinking about the hatch suby though there is no argument there that it has far superior utility. but you obviously cant get the slick automatic trans. but after all that, go drive both and decide. youll be happy with either one! :)

AOK303
Mon Jan 28th, 2013, 10:14 PM
i would thrown my two cents in but i wont buy another Scooby or Evo ever again
driven tuned and owned multi of both. I will say this there is a reason the EVO always comes out First and then does a Reflash to the motor/PSI level to match what the STI out puts every model change. Its why even on eclipse they were so high stock for psi lvls if tuning is in the future it cost less to mod the STI correctly then the Evo and the motor last longer in a Scooby

Drano
Mon Jan 28th, 2013, 11:20 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4CfWdoSOTk

Good comparison. @6:15 is where the point gets made. Evo ftw!

Clovis
Mon Jan 28th, 2013, 11:28 PM
In my early 20s I had a 4G63 (it was a '95 Talon TSi AWD). I loved that car at the time and got it running very quick.

I bought the car for around $6500 - put another $6500 in it, sold it for $6500 or so. It was a fun car but seemed to break down once a month.

Mods, if any would stop at intake/exhaust.

Clovis
Mon Jan 28th, 2013, 11:40 PM
LOL, Shan and I were watching this particular episode of Top Gear and that's what started this discussion.

They updated the body style of the WRX with 2011.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4CfWdoSOTk

Good comparison. @6:15 is where the point gets made. Evo ftw!

Clovis
Tue Jan 29th, 2013, 12:28 AM
I thought so too. At the time I bought my WRX I didn't get the STI because it was almost $10k more and didn't seem like the extras really justified the expense (305HP STI vs 265hp WRX), 6 speed, driver selected center diff, ect.

But damn, I've just always wanted a STI, for the last 10 years.

For anyone in the market for a Subaru, I've greatly enjoyed working with Eric Wass at Heuberger - 719-339-8808.

We bought our Forester XT from him.

The WRX I have meets my needs which is driving around town and having fun passing cars and 1, 2, 3rd gear pulls.

But throw on a nice exhaust to a STI and it sounds oh so nice. I'm sure the WRX would have similar results ;)

Looking at your handle, I can't imaging you being biased! :)

Clovis, that is a smoking price for the STI, when I was there 3 months ago, the STIs were still 34k+ area.

I went with the 5 door WRX, don't like the look as much, but needed the extra space of the hatch. So the EVO was out of consideration as well due to needing the hatch which I also wanted, but....

Also liked the simplicity of the WRX over my old Volvo or the STI.

Good luck.

Wrider
Tue Jan 29th, 2013, 02:20 AM
FWIW the EVO X tranny has issues if you modify it or launch it hard a lot (more than once a month). There's one local shop that will work on the tranny, but nobody else in the country (including dealerships) will open it up, they'll just replace it to the tune of 6K.

mxer
Tue Jan 29th, 2013, 07:28 AM
ive driven both extensively and had numerous examples of both in the shop. i owned a wrx. i would go evo x. aside from being objectively better in almost every way, itll be new and different for you. boxers are stupid, lower center of gravity? is that why the evo has always spanked the sti in any handling test? in last years motortrend lightning lap shootout they included an evo but not an sti, the next month due to numerous mail ins complaining they responded by saying they already know the evo outperforms the sti so they chose to leave it out. turbo subarus just eat the shit out of oil and saturate it with gasoline. theres a reason porsches have an oil capacity of 9+ qts. but subys only have 4.5. both ride harsh but the inline 4 is infinitely smoother running. both interiors suck but at least the evo has available recaros and the rockford fosgate sound system isnt half bad. both suck if you want to go REALLY fast, the mr trans is finicky when the car is modded and subaru bottom ends suck for big power.

if youre thinking about the hatch suby though there is no argument there that it has far superior utility. but you obviously cant get the slick automatic trans. but after all that, go drive both and decide. youll be happy with either one! :)

I'm not really sure what you mean by "boxer are stupid" ok buddy. And drinking oil? My STI has never burned a drop so I don't know what you are referring to.

Wow the EVO is 2 tenths of a sec faster through the twisties..whoop de do. That's great if you're a professional driver and care about lap times. If you want to throw out numbers the STI is sub 5 sec to 60 unlike the EVO. But do you really want to use it as a DD? Slap some thicker swaybars and better tires (stock EVOs have wayyy better tires than stock STIs) and it's an even match.

It comes down to the question of do you really want to own a Mitsubishi. I drove the EVO, it's great but it's anemic low end torque, awful gas mileage and the badge on the grill drove me away. Not to mention the shoebox of a trunk.

Sparker
Tue Jan 29th, 2013, 07:51 AM
Option 4, BMW 335XI

bulldog
Tue Jan 29th, 2013, 08:04 AM
Why not just go with the one you can get the best deal on? I am frugal so it's all about the deal when it comes to something so similar. I'd go to both dealerships and hagle and see what you get....

well actually no way would I trade in a 2011 just to get into more payments, but to each their own. To me cars are a horrible investment and you always lose money on them so staying in a car payment is not for me. I did the 0% interest and paid my car off in a few years and never paid one dime in interest.

madvlad
Tue Jan 29th, 2013, 08:12 AM
Option 4, BMW 335XI

:no:

Sparker
Tue Jan 29th, 2013, 07:26 PM
:no:
why?

derekm
Tue Jan 29th, 2013, 07:29 PM
Evo, fart sound boxer suby,same difference.. deserves a hello kitty license plate frame.. carry on :)

sag
Tue Jan 29th, 2013, 07:29 PM
your sti doesnt burn a drop of oil? it doesnt smell like gasoline when you drain it? do you even drive it?

subaru specification on the turbo motors is 1qt every 1000 miles as tolerable. ive seen hundreds of wrx/stis come through the shop but sounds like you got lucky and have the only horizontal motor where the oil defies the laws of gravity.

sag
Tue Jan 29th, 2013, 07:33 PM
why?

the fuel system is garbage. the high pressure pump can fail at any time regardless of any conditions. the 07s without the sport package and oil cooler cook themselves. the motor is definitely not bmws best step forward. my experience is solely with the TT motors though. im not current on the newer single turbo.

AOK303
Tue Jan 29th, 2013, 08:31 PM
the fuel system is garbage. the high pressure pump can fail at any time regardless of any conditions. the 07s without the sport package and oil cooler cook themselves. the motor is definitely not bmws best step forward. my experience is solely with the TT motors though. im not current on the newer single turbo.

hit it on the Head, when i was thinking S4 RS4 335xi or 335i the bmw forums were flooded with fuel issues and over heating oil temps and of course some electrical issues its a bmw it cant be one with out it

Ghost
Tue Jan 29th, 2013, 09:25 PM
Evo sucks, Mitsu will soon follow Suzuki into oblivion, therefore STI wins.

Call Jenny at GO Subaru Arapahoe, she'll hook you up.

Ghost
Tue Jan 29th, 2013, 09:29 PM
your sti doesnt burn a drop of oil? it doesnt smell like gasoline when you drain it? do you even drive it?

subaru specification on the turbo motors is 1qt every 1000 miles as tolerable. ive seen hundreds of wrx/stis come through the shop but sounds like you got lucky and have the only horizontal motor where the oil defies the laws of gravity.

:wtf:

Logic fail: 1qt of loss within tolerance does not imply that every Subaru WILL use oil.

Personal History:
2002 WRX--no oil consumption
2004 FXT--no oil consumption
2006 STI--no oil consumption
2009 STI--no oil consumption
1993 RX-7 R1--1 qt per 2000 miles.

I work in service at a Subaru dealer, very few of the turbos (in stock trim) consume oil. There's no "defying the laws of physics" involved.

Wrider
Tue Jan 29th, 2013, 09:35 PM

Ummm, 1 qt per 1000 miles is "normal" for damn near any motor, including the notorious 08 CBR1000RR. Sure it's unacceptable to most people, but according to factory specs, a lot of them can burn that much or more and be considered normal.

Fumet5uNo
Tue Jan 29th, 2013, 09:42 PM
..... Just go with b5 s4 2.8 head swap ko4 hybrid twin T's port an polish MTM tune with exhaust bam 26grand spent 650 hrp gained dead Asian left