PDA

View Full Version : How do you slow down?

Wrider
Sat Feb 16th, 2013, 12:18 AM
Do you downshift and engine brake?

Do you downshift without engine braking and use your brakes?

Just brakes and downshift later on?

Personally I blip the throttle, downshift, and engine brake with my hands covering the brakes, activating my brake lights.

This started quite a thread over on kawiforums, with a know-it-all Brit coming in saying you should just brake while keeping the engine revved a little and downshifting as you slow down. To me that sounds pretty stupid. Easy to screw up if you need to get out of there and drop the clutch on a revved motor.

What do y'all do?

Grant H.
Sat Feb 16th, 2013, 12:49 AM
Mostly engine brake / down shift early on while using just enough rear brake to activate the lights, then start adding front brakes as necessary.

Clovis
Sat Feb 16th, 2013, 03:00 AM
I primarily just engine break. I can't do as well on the FJR due to linked breaks but I drag the tail break to bleed off a little more speed.

It's a personal riding preference. I prefer to keep the same speed on the straights and the corners meaning that I slow down over little. Others like to accelerate and hard break before hitting the corner.

In either case you want to be at your desired speed before hitting the corner. Breaking too hard in the corner can cause the bike to stand up. Stomping the rear too hard can cause the wheel to slide and fish tail so the "dragging" method takes a little bit of practice.

Most of the time though, Engine breaking is sufficient to reduce speed.

Chaos
Sat Feb 16th, 2013, 04:04 AM
Slow down to a stop? or just to shed off some speed?
Normal street riding, I've always been one to slow with both brakes at the same time, Clutch pulled in but down shifting the gears 1 at a time to be in the right gear to match the speed, just in case I need to let out the clutch to manuever for whatever reason. Not that it's a lot of wear, but I'd rather replace brakes than add wear to the engine/trans/chain/sprockets to slow the bike. (yes I know it's microscopic...but it makes me feel better :D ) This is how I drive my manual trans cars as well.

Now spirited riding in the twisties/mountains etc.. is a little different situation.

#1Townie
Sat Feb 16th, 2013, 06:16 AM
Need more info for the reasons. If its something like a emergency stop depending on how fast i am its normally a double down shift followed buy front and rear breaks. If its just slowing for a turn i may only use the front and i might come down one gear. Depending on speed. If its for the canyons and im kind of pushing it i will do a combination of the first two just do drop the speed and than maintain power to push the turn. Just all depends on whats going on.

Bueller
Sat Feb 16th, 2013, 07:19 AM
Depends on the type of riding and the bike being ridden.

rforsythe
Sat Feb 16th, 2013, 07:51 AM
Really it just depends on how quickly I intend to slow down. Motorcycles are equipped with a couple different means of decreasing speed, which one you use and how much will vary with how rapidly you need to not be going as fast as you are right now.

irdave
Sat Feb 16th, 2013, 07:54 AM
It totally depends on everything, like Dave said.

But then I thought about it more. Me? I tend to hammer both brakes and shut the thing down. I mean, really. On the Zuma with the big engine, big pipe and big carb, hammer both. SM, hammer both, change down to whatever gear is appropriate to drive out of the corner (no blipping), and drive out...

Yeah, I don't ride on the street much anymore. :)

madvlad
Sat Feb 16th, 2013, 08:19 AM
If on the street at a slow pace coming to a stop or a light just both brakes at the same time and keep it in first with the clutch in and if rather spirited pace it's all about the engine brake!

salsashark
Sat Feb 16th, 2013, 08:41 AM
I have a small bag of cat litter mounted to the front of the bike. Open that sucker up to increase available material to brake against, then grab a handful of front brake... That'll get you stopped in a hurry.

#1Townie
Sat Feb 16th, 2013, 09:38 AM
I have a small bag of cat litter mounted to the front of the bike. Open that sucker up to increase available material to brake against, then grab a handful of front brake... That'll get you stopped in a hurry.

Lol

TransNone13
Sat Feb 16th, 2013, 09:38 AM
Blip with both brakes generally. Idk why, but my bike can put some rear brake down without locking up.

Wrider
Sat Feb 16th, 2013, 10:20 AM
FWIW I meant just everyday slowing down while riding in town kind of slowing down.

When I'm slowing down for a corner, it's definitely still in gear, using brakes.

When I'm emergency stopping I'm braking with the clutch in, downshifting as I go, not engine braking.

Am I the only one here who rarely uses my rear brake (basically emergency only)?

TransNone13
Sat Feb 16th, 2013, 10:22 AM
FWIW I meant just everyday slowing down while riding in town kind of slowing down.

When I'm slowing down for a corner, it's definitely still in gear, using brakes.

When I'm emergency stopping I'm braking with the clutch in, downshifting as I go, not engine braking.

Am I the only one here who rarely uses my rear brake (basically emergency only)?

IDK? Try braking front brake only, then braking both. I'm sure you have, but if you pay attention when you give it a little rear it limits the compression of the front forks.

#1Townie
Sat Feb 16th, 2013, 10:51 AM

Oh im neutral sitting up no hands on bars just using rear. Not really. Sometimes. I try to maintain a gear and power just in case i need it to avoid something. But normally front and rear are applied in all my stopping.

Wrider
Sat Feb 16th, 2013, 11:06 AM
Yeah I've tried using both, but honestly my rear brake is pretty weak and locks up pretty easily so I tend not to use it unless I need to.

As far as being in neutral using just rear... Done that before too haha.

TFOGGuys
Sat Feb 16th, 2013, 11:45 AM
Apparently, I just lock the front and then park an FZ1 under an Accord...http://www.ar-15.co/images/smilies/325991.gif

TransNone13
Sat Feb 16th, 2013, 11:46 AM
Apparently, I just lock the front and then park an FZ1 under an Accord...http://www.ar-15.co/images/smilies/325991.gif

:spit:

Nick_Ninja
Sat Feb 16th, 2013, 03:32 PM
I drag my feet :roll:

asp_125
Sat Feb 16th, 2013, 03:37 PM
Street, mostly downshift, blip, front brake. A little rear brake when necessary.
Track, mostly downshift, blip, all front brake. I don't have the skillz to back it in yet.

Again, the real answer is, it depends on the bike, the speed and the corner you are approaching. On my previous SV650 and Ducati 750, I used the v-twin's massive engine braking to just roll on and off the throttle down Hwy 7. On the Gixxer there wasn't much engine braking so more brakes were used. On the VFR there is some, so again it's different.

asp_125
Sat Feb 16th, 2013, 03:37 PM
I drag my feet :roll:

Fred Flintstone style FTW!

willb003
Sat Feb 16th, 2013, 06:43 PM
What are brakes?

TransNone13
Sat Feb 16th, 2013, 06:44 PM
What are brakes?

http://www.michaelwfuchs.com/wp-content/uploads/broken-bone.gif

??????

3point5
Sat Feb 16th, 2013, 06:52 PM
I love rapidly down-shifting and let my exhaust note run free…sorta an audible brake light…but yea, I do use the brakes even if it's just to light up my brake lights

AOK303
Sat Feb 16th, 2013, 07:00 PM
i was told jump off and roll to a stop

#1Townie
Sat Feb 16th, 2013, 07:23 PM
Oh or my feet like my bmx bike because i was too lazy to fix my cable. Flintstones stop for ftmfw!

Hoot
Sat Feb 16th, 2013, 08:58 PM
Kickstand.

Who needs brake lights when you're shooting sparks everywhere?

irdave
Sun Feb 17th, 2013, 12:21 AM
Ok, since the OP is asking a real question, I'll try to shed some light on the subject...

Slowing down for normal, everyday riding- yeah, sure, shut the throttle, maybe some brakes. Whatever.

Braking at the limit is something totally different. Like an emergency situation.

The modern sportbike has the ability to transfer all of its weight to the front tire- literally lifting the rear wheel off the ground. When this happens, or nearly happens, the rear wheel can't support any braking force- so it would just lock up- and go sideways. Which can be difficult to control in a panic situation. (The SuMo is something TOTALLY different. :) )

So a lot of times on a modern sportbike, we riders primarily use only the front brake. So in a panic situation on a sportbike, it's best to do what you practice- maybe use the front brake only, pulling in the clutch, and ignoring the rear brake. When you have plenty of traction on dry roads. But it's best to practice. And simply pulling in the clutch is often the best. A lot of times the throttle gets left on a little bit, which can be bad when you're trying to stop.

On a bike like the Ducati Monster, there's a lot of weight on the rear wheel, so we can actually use the rear brake to good effect. Harleys, too.

So, like everything, it depends.

Anecdotal evidence; fast guy that used to ride here, Aaron Clark, front brake only. Never went through a set of rear pads on the road race bike.

#1Townie
Sun Feb 17th, 2013, 07:56 AM
Ok, since the OP is asking a real question, I'll try to shed some light on the subject...

Slowing down for normal, everyday riding- yeah, sure, shut the throttle, maybe some brakes. Whatever.

Braking at the limit is something totally different. Like an emergency situation.

The modern sportbike has the ability to transfer all of its weight to the front tire- literally lifting the rear wheel off the ground. When this happens, or nearly happens, the rear wheel can't support any braking force- so it would just lock up- and go sideways. Which can be difficult to control in a panic situation. (The SuMo is something TOTALLY different. :) )

So a lot of times on a modern sportbike, we riders primarily use only the front brake. So in a panic situation on a sportbike, it's best to do what you practice- maybe use the front brake only, pulling in the clutch, and ignoring the rear brake. When you have plenty of traction on dry roads. But it's best to practice. And simply pulling in the clutch is often the best. A lot of times the throttle gets left on a little bit, which can be bad when you're trying to stop.

On a bike like the Ducati Monster, there's a lot of weight on the rear wheel, so we can actually use the rear brake to good effect. Harleys, too.

So, like everything, it depends.

Anecdotal evidence; fast guy that used to ride here, Aaron Clark, front brake only. Never went through a set of rear pads on the road race bike.

Did you really just make a long post and not only not really cover anything but say the same shit as the first twenty posts?

OUTLAWD
Sun Feb 17th, 2013, 09:07 AM
Lets be honest...20 posts on CSC generally contain less cumulative useful information than a weather forcast....

Narsisco Lopez
Sun Feb 17th, 2013, 09:19 AM
This started quite a thread over on kawiforums, with a know-it-all Brit coming in saying you should just brake while keeping the engine revved a little and downshifting as you slow down. To me that sounds pretty stupid. Easy to screw up if you need to get out of there and drop the clutch on a revved motor.

What do y'all do?

There's nothing wrong with a properly-executed trail-braking technique. As others have said... it all depends upon the situation.

Wrider
Sun Feb 17th, 2013, 10:32 AM
There's nothing wrong with a properly-executed trail-braking technique. As others have said... it all depends upon the situation.

Umm, I never said there was???

#1Townie
Sun Feb 17th, 2013, 12:22 PM
I think your question is being over thought and being read as "hi im new how do i stop a sport bike?".

Nick_Ninja
Sun Feb 17th, 2013, 12:34 PM
I think your question is being over thought and being read as "hi im new how do i stop a sport bike?".

Hey Clownie. You have no clue who irdave is or his credentials so STFU. Dumb fuck :321:

#1Townie
Sun Feb 17th, 2013, 12:44 PM
You need your diaper changed old man? How about a nap? And my last post wasnt referring to dave so dont assume shit dumbass.

TransNone13
Sun Feb 17th, 2013, 01:26 PM
You need your diaper changed old man? How about a nap? And my last post wasnt referring to dave so dont assume shit dumbass.

http://i782.photobucket.com/albums/yy110/AngelaChallita/no-drama.gif

salsashark
Sun Feb 17th, 2013, 01:27 PM
What every thread on the CSC eventually degrades to...

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-tUN41YBAm1E/TGq9ARlQ_LI/AAAAAAAAL_8/S9hmhgPp-VY/s310/lcZtV.gif

#1Townie
Sun Feb 17th, 2013, 01:43 PM
http://i782.photobucket.com/albums/yy110/AngelaChallita/no-drama.gif

Lol

Husky
Sun Feb 17th, 2013, 05:32 PM
From a Drag strip point of view, let off throttle, wait till bike slows to 150mph and sit up, when down to 130 mph tap rear brake, than its safe to use both brakes

gsxridiot
Sun Feb 17th, 2013, 08:03 PM
Hey Clownie. You have no clue who irdave is or his credentials so STFU. Dumb fuck :321:
gonna have to agree here, Dave is a walking encycyopedia devoted to suspension and braking(prolly lots of other things too)
he also is a nice enough guy to share his knowledge, many times for free
he is a fantastic resource and i look forward to any chance i get to "talk shop" with him
he doesnt need to smacktalk on a forum to impress anybody because there is generally a line of talented riders waiting for his help and advise at the track

Ph03niX
Sun Feb 17th, 2013, 10:04 PM
From a "by the book" standard since I just passed BRC today :D, you're not suppose to use engine braking, use both brakes at the same time and try not to lock the brakes. But engine braking is fine as long as you match engine/road speed.

#1Townie
Mon Feb 18th, 2013, 05:24 AM
gonna have to agree here, Dave is a walking encycyopedia devoted to suspension and braking(prolly lots of other things too)
he also is a nice enough guy to share his knowledge, many times for free
he is a fantastic resource and i look forward to any chance i get to "talk shop" with him
he doesnt need to smacktalk on a forum to impress anybody because there is generally a line of talented riders waiting for his help and advise at the track

Okay and to i will say the same thing. That post i was to wrider. He was responding to another post about not saying anything wrong about trail braking. My first response to dave was about not reading the first twenty posts that all said the same thing. He might be everything you guys say but if a conversation cant be kept up with you still look foolish. Kind of like you and ninja. You guys are assuming that post was in reference to dave some how. Why? Not sure, the only thing i can think is you guys are also not following the thread. Assuming will only make a ass out of yourselves. Simmer down guys im not bashing on dave. I gave him shit for wasting his time with a long post to only say what everyone else has already said. Im sure he can defend himself just fine if he needs to. In this case he doesnt, so simmer down.

"Dumb fuck"

Sean
Mon Feb 18th, 2013, 09:55 AM

Am I the only one here who rarely uses my rear brake (basically emergency only)?I'll toss in my $.02 since the thread has derailed...like most technique/useful threads on this forum. Personally, if irdave is giving some tips relating to how the bike is going to handle, I tend to listen.

When I had my R6/CBR1k, I only used the front brake. I didn't feel like the bikes had much engine braking, so you had to go for the brakes. I only used the rear in panic stops or in very slow moving traffic (to give my hand a rest). It states you have a 05 Z750S, which is an inline 4, right? I'm guessing there's not a ton of engine braking either?

Now I ride a KTM950Adv with a twin, and it has a boat-load of engine braking. I let the bike do most of the work, unless I'm keeping a good pace in the canyon. But with my current bike, I also use the rear brake more because the front suspension is softer then a supersport, so the front has more tendency to dive if you're hard on the brakes going into a corner on pavement.

madvlad
Mon Feb 18th, 2013, 10:02 AM
This thread delivers!

dirkterrell
Mon Feb 18th, 2013, 11:08 AM
Depends on the type of riding and the bike being ridden.

This is the best answer to a poorly posed question. There are many things that need to be clarified in order to answer the question "how do you slow down?" The answer might be front brake, back brake, front+back brake, engine braking, some other combination, or none of the above. The best approach is to learn what your bike and you can do, understand when to use various techniques, and practice them over and over. There are some very experienced riders posting in this thread, and if the thread can stay on track, it could be very useful for newer riders. A better-posed question with more specifics could do that. Paint a specific situation and let's discuss it.

Wrider
Mon Feb 18th, 2013, 05:03 PM
I guess I should have been more specific... I'll reopen this thread with "How do you slow down in a non-emergency situation on the street while riding like you normally do?"

Hoot
Mon Feb 18th, 2013, 06:26 PM
I guess I should have been more specific... I'll reopen this thread with "How do you slow down in a non-emergency situation on the street while riding like you normally do?"

Don't forget if you have a v twin or inline. Or if its wet out. Or if the humidity is about 22.4%

BC14
Mon Feb 18th, 2013, 06:36 PM
Don't forget if you have a v twin or inline. Or if its wet out. Or if the humidity is about 22.4%
V4, boxer..... up hill or downhill?

kawasakirob
Mon Feb 18th, 2013, 06:55 PM
I generally pull in the lever on my left handle bar, push down on my left bottom lever near my foot, and squeeze the lever on my right handlebar...all at once.

Nick_Ninja
Mon Feb 18th, 2013, 08:15 PM

Yep. At 22.5% ALL HELL can break lose :devil2:

dirkterrell
Mon Feb 18th, 2013, 09:55 PM
I thought I had written up something on braking in a turn a while back and finally found it:

http://www.cosportbikeclub.org/forums/showthread.php?t=38302

post #22.

#1Townie
Mon Feb 18th, 2013, 10:12 PM

V4, boxer..... up hill or downhill?

Yep. At 22.5% ALL HELL can break lose :devil2:

Also what tires are you running and what is the weather that day? Very sunny? How about the pads and rotors? Also do you gave steal lines? What about the lever itself? What time of day is it?

Grim2.0
Mon Feb 18th, 2013, 10:37 PM
I use engine braking when going down steep mountains, rather than smoke my brakes.
When I'm two up I tend to feather the brakes and be sure to be at a comfortable speed to take the turn way before it comes up, the last thing I want is to brake hard before a turn especially going down to have my wife slide foreword and push my nuts into my tank.

#1Townie
Mon Feb 18th, 2013, 10:40 PM
I use engine braking when going down steep mountains, rather than smoke my brakes.
When I'm two up I tend to feather the brakes and be sure to be at a comfortable speed to take the turn way before it comes up, the last thing I want is to brake hard before a turn especially going down to have my wife slide foreword and push my nuts into my tank.

Bro this is why she should have her hands on the gas tank. It prevents much of that crunch. See that? That shit rhymes. Lol

Grim2.0
Tue Feb 19th, 2013, 07:42 AM
Bro this is why she should have her hands on the gas tank. It prevents much of that crunch. See that? That shit rhymes. Lol

She does holmes but if I brake unexpectadly and hard it catches her off guard.

That ryhmed too!

My wife pays attention when in the canyons, leans with me and knows when I'm going to brake and accelerate.

madvlad
Tue Feb 19th, 2013, 07:56 AM

That's called huevos rancheros ese :lol:

#1Townie
Tue Feb 19th, 2013, 08:07 AM
She does holmes but if I brake unexpectadly and hard it catches her off guard.

That ryhmed too!

My wife pays attention when in the canyons, leans with me and knows when I'm going to brake and accelerate.

Nice. Yeah my last backpack was trained pretty well too.

#1Townie
Tue Feb 19th, 2013, 08:08 AM
That's called huevos rancheros ese :lol:
yo vato you comming at my holms sideways?

madvlad
Tue Feb 19th, 2013, 08:40 AM
sideways?

#1Townie
Tue Feb 19th, 2013, 08:59 AM
Lol

http://m.urbandictionary.com/#define?term=Coming%20Sideways