PDA

View Full Version : Gloves HELP!!!

BlueDevil
Thu Oct 2nd, 2003, 10:41 AM
I been searching for gloves for hours. Im stuck between these 2. Here are the deals I got.

Teknic Speedstar (Their best glove) Retail 199.00 price 98.00

Alpine Star GP Plus Retail 179.00 price 134.00

Near equiv gloves but the deal on the Speedstar is tough to pass up. Thats half off.

What do U think?

yakuza
Thu Oct 2nd, 2003, 10:47 AM
I've got a pair of the Teknic's, I think the Silverstone, and I've been very happy with them after 2 crashes. I don't think you'd go wrong with either glove, so go with whatever strikes your fancy. :up:

Anonymous
Thu Oct 2nd, 2003, 10:54 AM
Try on the alpines before you buy them, they're oddly shaped and fit a lot of people funny.

FWIW I'm happy with my Spidi Tre-composite gloves.

BlueDevil
Thu Oct 2nd, 2003, 10:57 AM
:lol: Both

haha I have a Tek suit and AStar boots. Both are great looking and a good quality..... Uggg. Anyone know some facts or personal exp with both?

Alex, URs have held up well huh? Nothing better than crash tested to make your decision easier......

Anyone have both locally? At least the Tec. I have tried the A Star and know my size......Do The Tek run big or small? Anyone got em in stock.......? I checked Coyote, Performance, Sun, and no luck.

Thanks

Anonymous
Thu Oct 2nd, 2003, 11:02 AM
Most local shops don't carry the race gloves in stock.

Give Metro a call, since they're actually a race store they might have some (I dunno though). Otherwise you will probably have to order them.

IQ
Thu Oct 2nd, 2003, 05:14 PM
D -

Violator Glove (non-studded): Retail $100, Sale $60
Violator Pro Glove: Retail $130, Sale $80
Speedstar Glove: Retail $170, Sale $85
Silverstone Glove: Retail $100, Sale $50
Streetfighter Glove: Retail $100, Sale $60

hit me up if you're interested. The guy has various colors and sizes.

Hoopty
Fri Oct 3rd, 2003, 08:12 AM
Got any pics of those, IQ?

Kim-n-Dean
Fri Oct 3rd, 2003, 08:32 AM
Speaking of gloves... I have a real old pair of O'neal Trak Control gloves. After 15 yrs. and quite a few crashes, they're pretty thin. They have the rivets on the palms and no one seems to make them anymore. I don't like the "road warrior" look all the new gloves have but, I want the rivets. Any suggestions??????

onef
Fri Oct 3rd, 2003, 09:11 AM
Speaking of gloves... I have a real old pair of O'neal Trak Control gloves. After 15 yrs. and quit a few crashes, they're pretty thin. They have the rivets on the palms and no one seems to make them anymore. I don't like the "road warrior" look all the new gloves have but, I want the rivets. Any suggestions??????

The responce that I got was " Live with it.". That's the style and you get what we got.

I think that I get what you are talking about. I had some really nice gloves at one time, sounds close to what you are talking about. They had a little padding in the right spots, the balls of your hand(?), not enough to get in the way just enough to take the sting out, and the rivets. If I find something I will let you know.

Kim-n-Dean
Fri Oct 3rd, 2003, 10:06 AM
I think that I get what you are talking about. I had some really nice gloves at one time, sounds close to what you are talking about.

I almost failed tech at Bandimere the first time I went because of them. Last time, I left them in my helmet.

I love them rivets!!!!!!

http://home.comcast.net/~tk4480/CSC/glove1.JPG

http://home.comcast.net/~tk4480/CSC/glove2.JPG

Anonymous
Fri Oct 3rd, 2003, 10:40 AM
Speaking of gloves... I have a real old pair of O'neal Trak Control gloves. After 15 yrs. and quite a few crashes, they're pretty thin. They have the rivets on the palms and no one seems to make them anymore. I don't like the "road warrior" look all the new gloves have but, I want the rivets. Any suggestions??????If you don't like the bulky knuckle protectors, Teknic still makes a couple of studded gloves without them (I'm showing red ones since that's what you've got - other colors are available):

Chicane - MSRP $40 - I've got the non-studded version of this glove and love it - use it for commuting - not crash tested though
http://www.teknicgear.com/media/collections/sport/2003/thumbs/chicane%20std%20glv%20blk%20red%20wh.gif

Lightning - MSRP $70
http://www.teknicgear.com/media/collections/supersport/2003/thumbs/lightning%20std%20glv%20wht%20red.gif

Kim-n-Dean
Fri Oct 3rd, 2003, 11:41 AM
If you don't like the bulky knuckle protectors, Teknic still makes a couple of studded gloves without them

Excellent!!! I'll check 'em out. It wasn't so much the knuckle protectors... The only gloves I could find with studs in the palms also had metal plate sections running down each finger. It looked like C-3PO's hand :D

Thanks

IQ
Fri Oct 3rd, 2003, 04:00 PM
I don't have any pics but the Tecnic site has them all on there.

Ripper
Wed Oct 8th, 2003, 12:02 AM
Fingers and palm made of stretch Du Pont Kevlar for unparalleled fit, function and feel
Drum dyed cowhide construction
Chrome Ultratec knuckle & finger protection
Extensive Kevlar stitching
Kevlar thread on top of hand & palm
Kangaroo hide palm
Double layer leather in palm
Foam padding in palm
Kevlar upper lining
3mm sponge foam padding in fingers
Inner full nylex lining
Kevlar palm protection
Velcro gauntlet closure
Velcro wrist strap
Double leather on top of fingers
Double leather on side of hand
Pre-curved design

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/photos/300/i9050.jpg

I have had these Speedstars since they came out, I love um, but they can get hot, no venting, the Kangaroo hide palms are great, no dye on your hands. plus they feel bullet proof, and are very comfortable

Kim-n-Dean
Wed Oct 8th, 2003, 07:04 AM
I don't like the "road warrior" look all the new gloves have but, I want the rivets. Any suggestions??????

What about these?

Those don't look "road warrior" to you? Those are the exact gloves I was talking about :D

Kim-n-Dean
Wed Oct 8th, 2003, 07:06 AM
My reply came out higher up on the list than the post I was quoting?!?!? Ralph... are you still playing with this stuff :lol:

EDIT: So did this one :? :?

Ripper
Wed Oct 8th, 2003, 07:11 AM
When sliding down the road after a wreck, you can slide on your palms, the studs give you more time inbetween the street and road rash.

I've got a pair of old feildsheer gloves that are studded, that have 3 wrecks on em' They saved my palms more than once, Ever had road rash on your palms? It SUCKS!!!

Although with all the new materials used in todays gloves, like kevlar, there is not a huge need for studs anymore, plus the metal studs get hot from the friction, where the newer style gloves don't get as hot on the palms.

Depending on how much cold weather riding you do, or plan on doing, should be a factor. The Speedstars are great when it's colder out, but get hot in the summer. If you don't ride much in the cold, I would suggest a glove with some venting, it makes a big difference in the summer.

BlueDevil
Wed Oct 8th, 2003, 01:02 PM
Advantage of studs?

jontflesh
Wed Oct 8th, 2003, 01:15 PM
Speaking of gloves... I have a real old pair of O'neal Trak Control gloves. After 15 yrs. and quite a few crashes, they're pretty thin. They have the rivets on the palms and no one seems to make them anymore. I don't like the "road warrior" look all the new gloves have but, I want the rivets. Any suggestions??????

What about these?
http://www.newenough.com/boots_gloves/icon_images/icon_timax/both.jpg

http://www.newenough.com/boots_gloves/icon_gloves.htm

That is what I have been wanting to get. I hate my Joe Rocket Speedmasters, talk about el-crap-o

BlueDevil
Wed Oct 8th, 2003, 01:16 PM
Garbage!!!

Saw a 25 mph lowside and those got shredded. Just for looks in my oppinion

jontflesh
Wed Oct 8th, 2003, 01:17 PM
Garbage!!!

Saw a 25 mph lowside and those got shredded. Just for looks in my oppinion
Really? Damn!
That is what I think will happen with da JR Speedmasters. The stitching is just super cheap on em.

Alpinestars here I come lol

Anonymous
Wed Oct 8th, 2003, 01:18 PM
Not to mention heeeeavy. Performance tried to sell me a set of those, I tried them on and just imagined a long ride in them. Nahhhh.

BlueDevil
Wed Oct 8th, 2003, 01:26 PM
I have a set of JR and Im not a fan there much either. I set my hand down for a split second and it tore the finger tip right open.

Think Im going AS GP Plus. For the mojney I think its going to be good. Everything I read seems positive.

I cant find the speedstar in my color or size for a reasonable or compeditive price so .......... AS for 134.00 for me.

Mel
Wed Oct 8th, 2003, 11:26 PM
Are the speedstar gloves good? IQ, your friend still have, are they new, and what size/color? I need a pair of gloves, but don't have much (any) money to work with.

BlueDevil
Thu Oct 9th, 2003, 07:00 AM
I hear the speedstar are good. Buddy of mine has a pair and really likes them.

Ripper
Thu Oct 9th, 2003, 07:07 PM
I love Mine ;)