PDA

View Full Version : Construction Zone Question

kawasakirob
Mon Feb 18th, 2013, 12:55 AM
Went through a construction zone late Sunday night (1245) when there were no workers present, no cones depicting where to go, and no obstructions. I noticed a car pulled over by a local county cop (who is known to sit in that area regardless of construction or not) and wondered if it was due to the person speeding in a construction zone.

Can you get a ticket in a construction zone when no crews are present on a Sunday when the roads are set back to normal conditions after the crews leave for the day?

The cop sits in the bend on I70 Eastbound near the Central City Exit for future reference. Pretty good hiding spot actually and clocks people coming around the curve.

Aaron
Mon Feb 18th, 2013, 02:54 AM
As far as I know, and I could be wrong as I don't deal with those, the construction zone is applicable 24 hours/day, meaning you can be cited no matter the day/time.

TEC 2.0
Mon Feb 18th, 2013, 06:38 AM
The way people drive on I-70, If I was a cop; I'd be sitting there too giving out as many tickets as possible.

#1Townie
Mon Feb 18th, 2013, 06:44 AM
Doesnt matter if work is being performed or not. As long as a sign says construction zone they can hit you with those double fines.

dirkterrell
Mon Feb 18th, 2013, 08:48 AM
Yep, my understanding is if it's posted, it's active.

3point5
Mon Feb 18th, 2013, 10:36 AM
Doesnt matter if work is being performed or not. As long as a sign says construction zone they can hit you with those double fines.

this…it's defined as a construction zone from the day the project starts to the day it ends as defined by the construction documents…and just because the majority of the work is done, there may be smaller tasks such as signs, landscape/erosion control, electrical, surveying…small stuff that requires nearly no man-power…doesnt matter, still an active construction site and double fines still active…

kawasakirob
Mon Feb 18th, 2013, 02:05 PM
Cool. Thanks for all of the reply's. I was thinking the same thing but wanted to double check.

modette99
Thu Feb 21st, 2013, 10:43 AM
Yep CO is one of those States. Note though not all States are like this. In MI for example Construction zone is only when workers are present, if no workers then its back up to 70mph (or whatever the speed limit is). Makes more sense this way, CO needs to adopt this mentality.

3point5
Thu Feb 21st, 2013, 08:16 PM
Makes more sense this way, CO needs to adopt this mentality.

I'm a civil engineer and I've been on countless construction sites like this. I usually slow down below the posted speed especially when workers are on foot. I would never want the life-time guilt of knowing I ended someones life because I couldnt wait a few extra minutes to get to my destination.

In my opinion, it makes enough sense…a road is design (and a speed limit assigned) using many factors and criteria…and while the road is being constructed those factors and criteria are not met (such as surface conditions, sight lines, roadway layout, traffic patterns, etc.). Because they are not met, engineers determine a speed that is appropriate for the condition of the site during construction. Just because workers are not onsite doesnt mean the conditions of the site are suitable for the final design speed.

I'm also smart enough to know that our government doesnt 'really' care about safety…they care about money…and if they can double your fine, shrink the risk of losing a case in court and have plenty of 'paying customers' they have no need to change...

Aaron
Fri Feb 22nd, 2013, 01:05 AM
I'm also smart enough to know that our government doesnt 'really' care about safety…they care about money…and if they can double your fine, shrink the risk of losing a case in court and have plenty of 'paying customers' they have no need to change...
:roll:

modette99
Fri Feb 22nd, 2013, 07:51 AM
I'm a civil engineer and I've been on countless construction sites like this. I usually slow down below the posted speed especially when workers are on foot. I would never want the life-time guilt of knowing I ended someones life because I couldnt wait a few extra minutes to get to my destination.

In my opinion, it makes enough sense…a road is design (and a speed limit assigned) using many factors and criteria…and while the road is being constructed those factors and criteria are not met (such as surface conditions, sight lines, roadway layout, traffic patterns, etc.). Because they are not met, engineers determine a speed that is appropriate for the condition of the site during construction. Just because workers are not onsite doesnt mean the conditions of the site are suitable for the final design speed.

Seeing as you quoted me. It was a group of factors such as civil engineers that changed the law in MI to allow you to continue on your way if no one is working. What construction worker are you going to hurt if they are not THERE working? I guess the statistics don't speak for themselves? Yeah you can argue the point that it is still unsafe for the driver due to all the stuff you mentioned with lane shifts and what have you but they still mark lane shifts and post a recommended speed so you should know to slow down for those. Still no worker there so they are not getting hurt.

Also I have seen in my many miles of driving where workers do stupid stuff next to roadways. Like step backwards into the traffic lane without even looking that a group of cars is approaching. Or bend over next to the flow of traffic with their ass hanging out into the road or legs. You know what your going to probably die getting hit at 45mph as you will at 75mph so does the slower speed really save lives? Maybe seeing as loud pipe save lives they need to hook some up and rev them in a construction zones maybe that will help.

Thank God CO does not have much roadwork, I'm used to East Coast it is non-stop every year for LIFE.

Grim2.0
Fri Feb 22nd, 2013, 08:15 AM

Only the most ignorant thing I've read so far this morning....so far.

#1Townie
Fri Feb 22nd, 2013, 02:10 PM
Only the most ignorant thing I've read so far this morning....so far.

Thats what happens when i dont get to post very often.

asp_125
Fri Feb 22nd, 2013, 02:30 PM
Our field guys work in TTC (temporary traffic control) zones all the time. The most dangerous time for them is when they are setting up or taking down the traffic control cones and signage. Drivers think they are entitled to speed up once they past the active crew. I know it's frustrating to keep the reduced speed in a 5 mile section when the crew is on mile one, but like the above poster said, there could be lane changes, surface changes (edge traps), metal plates spanning the lane or any number of unexpected hazards even if nobody is around.

The Federal Highway Administration sets the guidelines but states can choose to supplement it, as is the case in CO.

Not that I haven't been tempted to slalom the cones on a clear stretch, however. ;)

Wrider
Fri Feb 22nd, 2013, 02:38 PM
Not that I haven't been tempted to slalom the cones on a clear stretch, however. ;)

Or dotted lines on a long deserted stretch of highway...

And the answer is yes. I know from experience. Popped by a cop for doing 5 over on a Saturday night with no workers present because a douchebag was tailgating the shit out of me (as in I couldn't see his headlights in my rear view because he was too close).

Of course when I tried to tell the cop that, it didn't matter because I was just going too fast. :no:

#1Townie
Fri Feb 22nd, 2013, 03:56 PM
Tempted? I just do it. If i ever get a ticket i will just blame it on nike.