PDA

View Full Version : grand tetons and yellowstone

mdub
Tue Feb 19th, 2013, 03:38 PM
trying to plan a trip this yr..wondering if anyone has been. just want real feedback on affordable good places to stay. i dont really trust the reviews.

longrider
Tue Feb 19th, 2013, 03:50 PM
I went up there 3 years ago last September and stayed in Dubois, WY It is about 50 miles from Grand Teton park but it was the closest non-resort priced town on this side of the park. It was your typical small town and I would certainly stay there again

TFOGGuys
Tue Feb 19th, 2013, 03:59 PM
Did that trip in 96... 3000 miles, 7 days, 9 miles of total interstate...

asp_125
Tue Feb 19th, 2013, 04:39 PM
Looked into this last year, but plans fell through. The end of Sept is cheaper because some of the lodges in the park close for the season. Snow can hit the upper elevations. We found places in the park that were cheaper than Jackson.

Nick_Ninja
Tue Feb 19th, 2013, 05:04 PM
There in '98. Tourist season in July sucks a rats ass. :down:

mdub
Tue Feb 19th, 2013, 05:14 PM
hopefully it will not be too bad in early june.

plans are to hit grand tetons. then to silver wood. and visit yellowstone on the way back.

had a reservation company hold rooms for us, but fuckers took the money out w/o telling us. got on the horn told them to cancel and put the money back...

salsashark
Tue Feb 19th, 2013, 05:48 PM
Went with the family a couple of years ago. I rode, it was great. Early June is the perfect time. Not quite RV season, minimal traffic. Being on the bike was the best because I could zip around the idiots who just stop wherever to take pictures.

We found a cabin on vrbo in Island Park, ID. It's just outside the west entrance to the park (20 miles or so). Perfect for getting in and out and hitting all of the big park attractions. West Yellowstone is everything you would expect... lots of bad food at high prices and a ton of t-shirt shops.

My ride back was great as well... cut down through the Tetons and I regret not getting back there before moving out east.

here's my ride report: http://www.cosportbikeclub.org/forums/showthread.php?t=40465

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-TIrg01PXcqA/TfjqEvg5MlI/AAAAAAAAMM4/n0_38hkIn9I/s800/DSC00647.JPG

Streetdoctor
Tue Feb 19th, 2013, 06:55 PM
stayed in jackson last summer at the jackson inn for like $98/night I believe.

Cat118!
Thu Feb 21st, 2013, 10:12 AM
we are planning on going late May!

ChangBang
Thu Feb 21st, 2013, 11:46 AM
Rode up there last June, stayed at the classic cottage with a patio at Jackson Lake Lodge in the Tetons. Room was pretty nice, not exactly the cheapest though. Website says these start at 259 a night.

Narsisco Lopez
Thu Feb 21st, 2013, 06:43 PM
Was there twice last summer (with the wife and dog in July and a moto-trip with my riding buddy in August). Camped just north of Jackson... was really cheap and easy. Second time through, we didn't stay... rode over Teton Pass and didn't stop riding till we hit the Montana border :D

Be warned: Yellowstone in the summer is a non-stop traffic jam. Personally, I like Grand Teton better... Yellowstone is a bit too much lodge pole pine views and not much else unless you constantly pull off and hike to the various thermal pools. Last summer the major road construction projects caused 30min. to 60 min. delays. We have friends that were there a week before and they were held up on one road for 3 hours as a 1000+ bison herd crossed a road.

Dollar for dollar, I prefer Bryce and Zion to Yellowstone (plus, they're closer).

Just my dos centavos.