PDA

View Full Version : Wanted: Truck transmission service referral

~Barn~
Sat Feb 23rd, 2013, 08:34 AM
My wife's 2005 'Burban is having an issue and we're looking for a place to take it, somewhere close to where we live. So basically somewhere here in the greater DTC/Englewood/Parker/Centennial area.

The only gears that are engaging are Reverse and 1st, so unless it's within blocks of us, it's going to have to get towed there. If the place you're recommending has tow services available, that would be a big plus.

Thanks in advance!

rybo
Sat Feb 23rd, 2013, 08:47 AM
Barn -

Become an AMA member now. For your $39 a year in memebership you get really good roadside assistance including towing to a service facility within 30 miles of where you stopped.

http://www.americanmotorcyclist.com/membership/amaroadsideassistance

Then have your truck towed to Factory Trained Auto Repair

Chris Weed is the owner and he is a longstanding member of the MRA. It is the only place other than my own driveway that my vehicles go for service. Beyond that I've referred several friends and family there and all have come away with a positive experience. Quality service, accurate assessment of the REAL problem and fair prices.

http://www.factorytrainedautorepair.com/
303-650-2257

Please tell him I sent you.

madvlad
Sat Feb 23rd, 2013, 08:54 AM
+1 on Weed for sure, heard he does great work and almost everyone in the MRA takes their cars to him as well.

Jmetz
Sat Feb 23rd, 2013, 09:17 AM
http://b.vimeocdn.com/ts/617/787/61778779_640.jpg

Weed.

~Barn~
Sat Feb 23rd, 2013, 09:24 AM
Thanks Scott. I'll try to get ahold of him and get towed over there, come Monday.

I don't suppose anybody on here has a flatbed that they hire out, do they?

Ezzzzy1
Sat Feb 23rd, 2013, 09:24 AM
Its a match made in heaven...

Jmetz
Sat Feb 23rd, 2013, 09:39 AM
Thanks Scott. I'll try to get ahold of him and get towed over there, come Monday.

I don't suppose anybody on here has a flatbed that they hire out, do they?

You could get some tow straps and piggy back it off your burban or rent a car dolly.

A car dolly is about $50

~Barn~
Tue Feb 26th, 2013, 02:32 PM
Just got the call from FTAR. Got it towed there on Monday.

- Total transmission rebuild: $2000.00 parts and labor
- Transfer case service: $50.00 parts and labor
- Rear brake service: $200.00 parts and labor
- Various other leaking hoses: TBD
- Tow charges: TBD (unless the shop is eatting that cost since we're having it repaired there)
- Plus tax

Yay.

moep
Tue Feb 26th, 2013, 08:09 PM
Good deal. Glad it worked out. I am always afraid to take my cars to the trans shop. My visits have ranged from $400 to $3500.

~Barn~
Tue Feb 26th, 2013, 08:34 PM
Well... nothing has been worked out just yet, but hopefully she'll be on the road the recovery soon. That sucks that it's a shot transmission though; I was hoping against hope that it would be a solenoid or something relatively minor. But you know how it is with visits to the mechanic sometimes... The problem that you come in with, has others that are discovered to go along with it.

I guess all-in-all, if we can get out of there < $3000, with that truck running like a champ, it'll be a moral victory. Still though...

On the upside, I spent the better part of a couple hours in my credit union today, working out a dizzying number of vehicle refi's and "product" maneuvering. When it was all said and done, I took the (4) vehicle loans that I have open right now and reduced them down to (3), with an almost across-the-board 2% reduction in APRs, - which actually were already pretty low - and I got myself a new credit card with a fixed purchase and balance-transfer APR of < 4%.

My aggregate monthly payment(s) got nearly $300 chopped off, and my loans that are remaining, are now all considerably shorter in term.

God bless Dianna @ Space Age FCU. :bow: She made the bad news about the repairs a little more palatable.

rybo
Tue Feb 26th, 2013, 11:53 PM
Barn -

I'm sorry that the bill is so big, but glad that Chris and the team are taking care of you. The work there is fully top notch and I always feel good about recommending them.

I hope (I'm sure in fact) that your experience is equally good.

Also glad to hear that you were able to re-negotiate some of your loans to make life a little easier. Banking at a credit union is one of the best choices I've ever made.

-scott