PDA

View Full Version : Furnace help.

highpsi03
Tue Feb 26th, 2013, 10:02 PM
I got home today and noticed the house was 55 degrees.. The fan for the furnace was running, thermostat was set at 68. I went ahead and pulled the cover off, removed the "flame sensor" i believe and cleaned it up. (it looked like a small probe that is on a BBQ to start the flame, it had one wire going to it) Re-installed the cover and backed the thermostat down. Then flipped the switch back on for the furnance and the thing then re-lit. It ran for about an hour and then i noticed the flame was gone again.. So i backed the thermostat back down, and flipped the furnance main power switch again. Turned it back on and turned the thermostat back up. Once again it lit and has been going for about an hour now. Any idea why i need to keep flipping the switch on/off? I do get an error code when this happens.. The lights blink fast but i believe it is saying that it's a lighting error, and to clean flame sensor. Anything else i'm missing?
The house is about 10 years old and the furnance is a carrier furnace.

moep
Tue Feb 26th, 2013, 11:07 PM
Most of the time it is just the ignitor going bad. It is easy to change out and the cost is around $40-$50. Make sure you don't touch the black coating on the wire. There is an appliance place in Thornton that carry them.

I just replaced my son's and the error light was flashing fast also.

moep
Tue Feb 26th, 2013, 11:13 PM
It is not the board. Just didn't want you to spend $300 on the board, like I did.

Wrider
Wed Feb 27th, 2013, 12:42 AM
Out of curiosity, how did you clean the sensor? They really don't like being cleaned unless it's by fairly fine grit emory cloth or the like.

Ezzzzy1
Wed Feb 27th, 2013, 01:21 AM
I had the same problem about a year ago. I bought a new flame sensor (or whatever its called) at Home Depot and replaced it and the problem was solved.

From what I remember most of them are the same but if you google for a part number you can probably find it, then check the Depot.

highpsi03
Wed Feb 27th, 2013, 06:50 AM
I cleaned it with a emery paper. The furnance worked all night. Maybe that was the issue.

bodhizafa
Wed Feb 27th, 2013, 08:24 AM
I think its called a thermocoupler. $10 at Home Depot usually. I've replaced it a few times on my furnace.

bulldog
Wed Feb 27th, 2013, 08:30 AM
If anything this thread helped me learn something about furnaces :up:

modette99
Wed Feb 27th, 2013, 09:41 AM
Sounds like ignitor
I paid $20-$30 from www.shortyshvac.com

Mine was still good, but during a Furnace inspection they said it was on its way out...very easy to do yourself and cheap. So I installed the new one and kept the old one as a spear. But you might want to buy two as they are cheap.

Just saw you might of got it working. Which is great. While your messing and learning about the furnace you might want to see if the blower motor is clean. Which is easy to clean yourself. The furnace inspection we got they wanted $1,000. So I went down the list and did the stuff myself. At least on ours to remove the blower motor took 5 minutes, took 30 minutes for me to clean it. It seems its common for HVAC guys to quote nutty prices on people. I also learned something they did not notice I have two vent lines coming in, only one had a air filter, the other one did not...so all the dust was still getting to the blower motor, I made a bracket and bought another air filter so now we sport two one on each side.