PDA

View Full Version : Mountain bike race

Sean
Thu Feb 28th, 2013, 08:43 AM
Roan Cliff Chaos
Rifle, Colorado
June 15-16, 2013

Not sure if any of you CSCer's would be interested in doing a mtb race, but I thought I'd throw it out there. After finding out what a cool event it is (it's been going on for 13 years) I volunteered my time to try and make it even better.

If you're interested, check out the website. If you have any feedback, let me know. And yes, of course, there will be beer.

https://sites.google.com/site/roancliffchaos/home

Frankie675
Thu Feb 28th, 2013, 12:29 PM
Just picked up my first "real" mtn bike a few months ago. Its a Cannondale Jekyll leftover. I've ridden bmx'ish bikes most of my life so I can handle jumps, drops, and downhill, but haven't quite got into the whole uphill concept. I'd definitely want to get into some xc races.

Sean
Thu Feb 28th, 2013, 01:34 PM
Going up is the same as going down. You just have to pedal more and most of us don't go as fast. Otherwise it's the same! :lol:

The Jekyll is a great bike and would be perfect for the XC race. If you've never done a race, the beginner division is only 6 miles (roughly an hour of riding) and is a great way to "get your feet wet" in the sport. :up:

I know there is another CSC'er that's thinking about coming out.

bodhizafa
Thu Feb 28th, 2013, 04:02 PM
Just picked up my first "real" mtn bike a few months ago. Its a Cannondale Jekyll leftover. I've ridden bmx'ish bikes most of my life so I can handle jumps, drops, and downhill, but haven't quite got into the whole uphill concept. I'd definitely want to get into some xc races.

New Jekyll or the older version. The new one is pretty awesome with the Dyad pull shock.

Kels and I will be at the race. I believe she already pre-registered or something. We might have to flip a coin to see who does the hill climb with the Voodoo.....:wtf:

Sean
Thu Feb 28th, 2013, 04:44 PM
Oh yeah, you're on CSC too. Well, then there will be a few CSCer's there!

Kels and I will be at the race. I believe she already pre-registered or something. We might have to flip a coin to see who does the hill climb with the Voodoo.....:wtf:Yup. Kels was the first one to pre-register! :applause:
(thank goodness it actually worked)

One of you can take my Stumpy 29er. Just lock-out the shock and climb. The suspension settings should be close to what you need anyway.

Frankie675
Thu Feb 28th, 2013, 05:02 PM
New Jekyll or the older version. The new one is pretty awesome with the dyad shock

Yeah the new version. The shop gave me a deal at $1800 because cannondale wasn't able to sell this horrid looking color. When it came into the shop it didn't look anything like the pic online and turned out badass. Killer deal, just a lot of suspension going on that I have no idea what to do with.

I've been putting in a lot of miles, usually 5 miles uphill and 5 back down so hopefully ill be ready by the time the race rolls around.

bodhizafa
Thu Feb 28th, 2013, 05:50 PM
Yeah the new version. The shop gave me a deal at $1800 because cannondale wasn't able to sell this horrid looking color. When it came into the shop it didn't look anything like the pic online and turned out badass. Killer deal, just a lot of suspension going on that I have no idea what to do with.

I've been putting in a lot of miles, usually 5 miles uphill and 5 back down so hopefully ill be ready by the time the race rolls around.

I actually have the Jekyll's big brother the Claymore. Similar setup with the Dyad and such...just beefier with more suspension (and heavier!). I absolutely love the bike, bet the Jekyll will be an awesome bike. Awesome deal! :up:

Frankie675
Thu Feb 28th, 2013, 07:17 PM
The jekyll is a blast. Small, nimble, and light, but it's too low. I'm constantly banging my pedals and already broke off a few teeth off my crankset. Makes me want to try out the Claymore.

bodhizafa
Fri Mar 1st, 2013, 07:07 AM
The jekyll is a blast. Small, nimble, and light, but it's too low. I'm constantly banging my pedals and already broke off a few teeth off my crankset. Makes me want to try out the Claymore.

I bet the ground clearance is similar. I'm banging the pedals like crazy too, it sits pretty low in downhill mode. I also have a chainring guard on the bike though.

Sean
Fri Mar 1st, 2013, 11:50 AM
Pre-reg got flooded in the past 24 hours! Off to a good start! :w00t:

(Okay, not flooded, but used. I'll take what I can get)

Frankie675
Fri Mar 1st, 2013, 12:05 PM
I bet the ground clearance is similar. I'm banging the pedals like crazy too, it sits pretty low in downhill mode. I also have a chainring guard on the bike though.

Oh I thought the claymore had 29's

TFOGGuys
Fri Mar 1st, 2013, 12:07 PM
I'm a roadie. Mountain bikes are too damn much work... :lol:

Sean
Fri Mar 1st, 2013, 01:21 PM
I'm a roadie. Mountain bikes are too damn much work... :lol:I was going to make a joke about how it's easier to crash on the dirt...but I guess it's possible to crash on roads too. :slappers:

Hey Jim, what was it like when then invented the wheel? You were in your mid 30's, right?

bodhizafa
Fri Mar 1st, 2013, 03:51 PM
Oh I thought the claymore had 29's

29ers are for people who can't avoid obstacles :puke:

Sean
Fri Mar 1st, 2013, 04:00 PM
29ers are for people who can't avoid obstacles :puke:And freerides are for people who can't go up hill! :doublefinger:

TFOGGuys
Fri Mar 1st, 2013, 04:03 PM
I was going to make a joke about how it's easier to crash on the dirt...but I guess it's possible to crash on roads too. :slappers:
Ouch...

Hey Jim, what was it like when then invented the wheel? You were in your mid 30's, right?

damn whippersnappers... http://d26ya5yqg8yyvs.cloudfront.net/gerg.gif

bodhizafa
Fri Mar 1st, 2013, 04:09 PM
And freerides are for people who can't go up hill! :doublefinger:

Shouldn't you beat me in a bike race before talking smack? :think:

Too bad your organizing and not racing Roan Cliff :turtle: ......then again Kels might beat both of us.

Sean
Fri Mar 1st, 2013, 04:36 PM
Ouch...
Nothin' but love for ya. :hibye: How's the recovery coming along?

Shouldn't you beat me in a bike race before talking smack? :think:

Too bad your organizing and not racing Roan Cliff :turtle: ......then again Kels might beat both of us.Na, I'll talk smack anyway :king:

And the more I think about it, almost all of my obligations are on Saturday. So maybe I can race Sunday? I'd rather do the XC then the Hill Climb, but I'll take what I can get! :up:

TFOGGuys
Fri Mar 1st, 2013, 04:57 PM
Nothin' but love for ya. :hibye: How's the recovery coming along?

Na, I'll talk smack anyway :king:

And the more I think about it, almost all of my obligations are on Saturday. So maybe I can race Sunday? I'd rather do the XC then the Hill Climb, but I'll take what I can get! :up:

I'm about 80%, started going to the gym again last week. Need to keep working on flexibility, strength, and cardio.

BC14
Sat Mar 2nd, 2013, 12:04 PM
So I guess the flame war isn't just limited to motorcycles around these parts :p. I'll be "racing" with a Jamis Dakar XCR expert I picked up last year. This'll be my first official entry based ride, so should be an experience, at least.

Frankie675
Sat Mar 2nd, 2013, 01:59 PM
btw if anyone up north wants to go ride I'd be down. I could use some pointers or help seeing what I need to improve.

Sean
Mon Mar 4th, 2013, 05:40 PM
I'm about 80%, started going to the gym again last week. Need to keep working on flexibility, strength, and cardio.Great news, Jim! Keep it up. :up:

This'll be my first official entry based ride, so should be an experience, at least.:rock: Hellz yeah!

Should we order your 1st place trophy ahead of time, or wait till after you actually win? Probably wait, huh? We want the other competitors to feel like they have a chance. :viking:

BC14
Tue Mar 5th, 2013, 09:15 AM
Great news, Jim! Keep it up. :up:

:rock: Hellz yeah!

Should we order your 1st place trophy ahead of time, or wait till after you actually win? Probably wait, huh? We want the other competitors to feel like they have a chance. :viking:
:lol: My only goal is to not fall down/go boom and need an airlift :p

blaircsf
Fri Mar 22nd, 2013, 06:32 PM
I'm thinking about signing up for this. I picked up a nicer full suspension mountain bike last summer and rode it a decent amount. I've been slacking over the winter though. I've never done bike races, but ran a lot of running races. The question would be which version to sign up for...

Sean
Sat Mar 23rd, 2013, 10:30 AM
I'm thinking about signing up for this.
Do it! :up:

I picked up a nicer full suspension mountain bike last summer and rode it a decent amount. What did ya get?

I've been slacking over the winter though. I've never done bike races, but ran a lot of running races. You are not alone, my friend. I have a lot of work to do before mid June!

The question would be which version to sign up for...Both! For only $40 you can't go wrong.

blaircsf
Sat Mar 23rd, 2013, 03:36 PM
Do it! :up:
What did ya get?

You are not alone, my friend. I have a lot of work to do before mid June!

Both! For only $40 you can't go wrong.
I got a Trek Rumblefish Elite 29'er, so far I've been really happy with it. (apparently I can't avoid obstacles... :p )

Definitely need to start getting back into shape though, outdoor weather is coming.

Haven't actually signed up yet (should do it before the next price increase), but planning on doing Tough Mudder (which is that Sunday), so the question is which version of the XC race to do. Six miles seems maybe a bit on the short side.

Sean
Sat Mar 23rd, 2013, 05:25 PM
I got a Trek Rumblefish Elite 29'er, so far I've been really happy with it. (apparently I can't avoid obstacles... :p ) Nice bike! I have a 29er too and it's perfect for riding in this area.

Haven't actually signed up yet (should do it before the next price increase), but planning on doing Tough Mudder (which is that Sunday), so the question is which version of the XC race to do. Six miles seems maybe a bit on the short side. There is no price increase. You can sign up the day of the race and it's still $25/race or $40/both. Plus, you don't have to pay when you pre-register, it's just s we have an idea of how many are coming (shirts/food/course marshals).

To choose your level of racing, maybe look at results from other years? Last year, beginners did 6 miles in an hour. Int. did it in 40min but had to race another lap. So maybe go out and ride a trail and see how long 6 miles takes you. Also, are you in shape enough to go at lactate threshold for 60 min or 1:20? Also keep in mind, that this is the uber packed-down shit you have on the front range or at 18 rd in Fruita. We have good trails, but not as hard packed, so it is a little more work.

blaircsf
Sat Mar 23rd, 2013, 05:34 PM
Should of worded that a bit different, the signup and price increase was about Tough Mudder. I've got all my GPS logs from last summer, will probably just see once I've really gotten back out this year and it gets a little bit closer.

Sean
Thu May 16th, 2013, 04:03 PM
Thought I would bump this thread for all of our newer members. Yes, we do have a few CSCr's coming out for this race. :rock: BC14 is probably going to win everything, but y'all can still show up and try. All levels are welcome!

Website is updated https://sites.google.com/site/roancliffchaos/home

In addition to the races, we have:
clinics (men, woman, trail building and trailside EMT)
post race party
Local BEER :cheers:
group rides
a bunch of sponsors
and even morning yoga!

http://i1006.photobucket.com/albums/af181/sxdrgsvlnce/Android%20Forums%20stuff/BUMP.jpg

bodhizafa
Fri May 17th, 2013, 03:29 PM
We have to get the CSC peeps together after for a Rifle Brew!

BC14
Fri May 17th, 2013, 06:19 PM
Thought I would bump this thread for all of our newer members. Yes, we do have a few CSCr's coming out for this race. :rock: BC14 is probably going to win everything, but y'all can still show up and try. All levels are welcome!

Website is updated https://sites.google.com/site/roancliffchaos/home

In addition to the races, we have:
clinics (men, woman, trail building and trailside EMT)
post race party
Local BEER :cheers:
group rides
a bunch of sponsors
and even morning yoga!

http://i1006.photobucket.com/albums/af181/sxdrgsvlnce/Android%20Forums%20stuff/BUMP.jpg
Highly doubtful, but I appreciate the vote of confidence.

I'm game for that :)

Sean
Sat May 18th, 2013, 10:06 AM
Heck yeah! I'm trying to get the owner of Rifle Brewing to bring out the big beer trailer with 6 taps on it. Not sure we'll "need" it, but who doesn't like hanging out by a huge beer trailer?

Sean
Sun Jun 9th, 2013, 08:15 AM
One week left!

New addition- MG Cycle and Sport will be bringing out a bunch of Fuji mtb and cx demo bikes! Woot! Pre-reg at the link below.

Roan Cliff Chaos
June 15-16 in beautiful Rifle, Colorado
https://sites.google.com/site/roancliffchaos/

bodhizafa
Sun Jun 9th, 2013, 10:15 PM
I had a Fuji cyclocross bike, it was pretty nice until it got stolen. Only had it for about a month but it was a solid bike.

bulldog
Mon Jun 10th, 2013, 08:09 AM
I actually did my first real mountain bike trail yesterday...was a lot of fun, but I think I still like paved tracks better and leaning towards the road bike scene instead. I do give mad props to the mountain bikes guys (that go uphill) as it was quite the workout.

P.S. Sean the cardio guys thought they would break me, but I finished ahead of some of them. In no way am I saying I am in good enough shape for this challenge you posted though. Just figured you would get a kick of knowing the gym rat is trying to do more outdoor workouts; been doing a at least 20 miles a week on local paved trails on top of my lifting workouts.

Sean
Mon Jun 10th, 2013, 09:54 PM
Nate- very cool! I really enjoy both road cycling and mountain biking. I hope it compliments your other workouts in a positive way. And yes, it makes me happy knowing that you are outside AND getting exercise! Way to go man! :up:

bulldog
Tue Jun 11th, 2013, 07:50 AM
Thanks. Now if I could only afford a road bike...suckers go for at least $700 :?

BC14
Wed Jun 12th, 2013, 02:11 AM
Thanks. Now if I could only afford a road bike...suckers go for at least $700 :?
And that's "cheap". Pricing for bikes has always been a bit crazy, IMO.

bulldog
Wed Jun 12th, 2013, 07:59 AM
And that's "cheap". Pricing for bikes has always been a bit crazy, IMO. Yeah I know...$700 was cheapest at the bike store and the guy didn't even recommend getting it and said to spend at least another $100 to get the $800 Cannondale. My issue is I do not plan to do any races or even all that serious so I just want a nice entry level bike that won't drain my account.

Been looking at this one that got good reviews and only $380 on ebay http://www.amazon.com/Giordano-Libero-White-Bike-700c-20-Inch/dp/B004Q3N08Q/ref=sr_1_7?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1370872606&sr=1-7&keywords=road+bike+men

FZRGuy has been helping me figure out this new world of road bikes...thanks :up:

(( LO LO ))
Wed Jun 12th, 2013, 08:12 AM
Wish I lived closer, I would love to participate. Some friends and I are actually headed to Pajarito Ski Basin near Los Alamos NM this Friday/Sat to ride the blacks, then enjoy some brew at the Fest going on all day at the resort. Here is a vid of our ride last weekend in Otero Canyon here near Albuquerque. I had a crappy GOPRO angle, but still good times. My editing skills suck btw... LOL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S12Un-LSj3M

bulldog
Wed Jun 12th, 2013, 08:27 AM
Wish I lived closer, I would love to participate. Some friends and I are actually headed to Pajarito Ski Basin near Los Alamos NM this Friday/Sat to ride the blacks, then enjoy some brew at the Fest going on all day at the resort. Here is a vid of our ride last weekend in Otero Canyon here near Albuquerque. I had a crappy GOPRO angle, but still good times. My editing skills suck btw... LOL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S12Un-LSj3M and there were no shootings...????? :lol: Oh wait, Los Alamos....radiation I should say then (actually went to college in UNM Los Alamos and that place is weird).

As for the video. Why does that look so easier than the blacks in CO; so flat? Must be like the skiing and just smaller mountains because our blacks seem to be straight uphill :dunno:

(( LO LO ))
Wed Jun 12th, 2013, 02:04 PM
and there were no shootings...????? :lol: Oh wait, Los Alamos....radiation I should say then (actually went to college in UNM Los Alamos and that place is weird).

As for the video. Why does that look so easier than the blacks in CO; so flat? Must be like the skiing and just smaller mountains because our blacks seem to be straight uphill :dunno:

This vid was shot in Otero Canyon which is just a trail system. This coming Friday/Saturday we are doing the blacks at Pajarito Ski resort. Those will have massive jumps, and other sick berms to shred on, and it will be a much quicker pace.

bulldog
Wed Jun 12th, 2013, 03:27 PM
This vid was shot in Otero Canyon which is just a trail system. This coming Friday/Saturday we are doing the blacks at Pajarito Ski resort. Those will have massive jumps, and other sick berms to shred on, and it will be a much quicker pace. Oh ok. As I said up top I went for a ride in the mountains and I swear half of it were these giant steep hills. I would be in my highest gear and still struggling even though I have strong legs; I can just say it wasn't the most fun I had on a bike especially since it was about 90 degrees out. Then I looked at your video and was like wow, that looks fun and not what the black I did was about. I'd rather do your trail. But yeah I see now you didn't mean that was a black trail.

But it did remind me of when I went to Santa Fe ski basin a couple years ago and friends were saying how they were going to tear up some black diamonds. Since I have been snowboarding my entire time in CO (only skiied in NM) I was use to black diamonds and what they had were easy to me; I flew down them passing everyone. I got to bottom and laughed and said those were like blue runs in CO mountains. I basically thrashed everyone on that mountain, so I thought maybe it was similar

(( LO LO ))
Wed Jun 12th, 2013, 08:04 PM
Nate, this video will give you an idea of what the black diamonds are like on the ski resorts for downhill mountain biking. Angel Fire Resort hosts the Red Bull Rampage every year (Youtube it), and it's intense. I don't think I could ever be riding at that level without practicing every day as full time job.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1zczxHYFEtQ

Sean
Wed Jun 12th, 2013, 09:50 PM
Rode the course yesterday and man is it fun! There are 2-3 technical spots, nothing that you can't walk around. I'm sure in the race it'll be, "I saw the other guy do it, so I can to" kind of situations. Some nice fast flowy downhills too! Can't wait for this weekend!!!!!

bodhizafa
Wed Jun 12th, 2013, 11:49 PM
You racing it or doing bullshit work? Rode the Voodoo the other day for the 1st time in a while (gotta prepare for the race you know), starting to like the big goofy wheels :)

bulldog
Thu Jun 13th, 2013, 08:00 AM
Nate, this video will give you an idea of what the black diamonds are like on the ski resorts for downhill mountain biking. Angel Fire Resort hosts the Red Bull Rampage every year (Youtube it), and it's intense. I don't think I could ever be riding at that level without practicing every day as full time job.
Hell yeah that seems like so much fun...although sure I'd kill myself trying it :lol:

Still seems like way more fun than the uphills I had to do; maybe downhill is for me instead :D