PDA

View Full Version : Airlines?

Tipys
Thu Feb 28th, 2013, 06:43 PM
Ok so who here can recommend a good airline?

I am looking at one to book directly through. I have had it with booking sites after mainly priceline. Having had to cancel flights recently then getting hit with extra fees on top of the airlines because you booked with priceline. After that I have reviewed all booking sites are like this. So I chosen to book directly with an airline instead now.

Southwest this weekend treated me very poorly and and with not be using them again.

t_jolt
Thu Feb 28th, 2013, 07:03 PM
where are you flying to?
I personally like Delta or Alaska Air. They have always treated me well.

Tyrel

#1Townie
Thu Feb 28th, 2013, 07:11 PM
Not sure about others but southwest hooks it up on canceled tickets. No charge and the ticket is good for a year. Service with all the airlines sucks. You are just human tuna being packed into a can for transport. Ive had bad experiences with most of them.

Dietrich_R1
Thu Feb 28th, 2013, 07:51 PM
W/out knowing where you are trying to get, this question is pointless. I can confirm all airlines are a "bus ride". Continental used to ROCK, but they were swallowed by the major suckage of United!!!!

Think United Rocks... I was in first class & was told I had to go back to coach to purchase a Box Lunch!!!!!!!

All of the Seats on Frontier are First Class seating!!!

I'm looking to get to St. Petersburg, FL so what I do is google local airports & the airlines. You can easily find the right airline for the trip!!

Tampa Airport Airlines: http://www.tampaairport.com/flights/airlines.asp

3point5
Thu Feb 28th, 2013, 08:34 PM
I try to always fly southwest - In my opinion they have the best prices, a reasonable baggage policy, probably the best 'change-flight' policy. I travelled quite a bit for work a few years back and I always took them…

all airlines suck…like the presidential election, you just gotta pick the one that sucks least…

birchyboy
Thu Feb 28th, 2013, 08:59 PM
+1 for Southwest. They have always been great on changes if they fly where you're going.

willb003
Thu Feb 28th, 2013, 09:18 PM
Private. Can't beat driving your vehicle right up to the plane and not having to deal with the TSA. Oh and the plane leaves when you want it too.

But if your not a baller, then southwest or Alaskan.

~Barn~
Thu Feb 28th, 2013, 09:30 PM
I tend to pick Frontier. You have to buy their upgraded ticket for the best perks, but their S T R E T C H seating really is worth it. :up:

Airreed
Thu Feb 28th, 2013, 09:44 PM
I travel via airplane about 10-12 times per year. I like United as it's a major Denver hub, so getting a direct flight is pretty simple. Additionally, i fly international about two times a year and Lufthansa treats all their passangers well! You can't beat free booze on a 12-15 hour flight!!!

bluedogok
Thu Feb 28th, 2013, 10:03 PM
If you are going east, JetBlue has been good for me and shuttling between here and Oklahoma/Texas it is typically Frontier.

Ghosty
Thu Feb 28th, 2013, 10:14 PM
Frontier rocks, never had a problem with them and flew them a dozen times at least. Never a problem with Travelocity or Expedia, UNLESS you try to change or cancel. But people need to realize that plane tickets aren't like cheap bus rides, it's a BIG DEAL. If you have to change/cancel expect to pay a big fee PLUS the fare-difference.

Where are you flying to from DIA? For starters...

P.S. I'm boycotting United for the rest of my life. I once had 75k frequent flyer miles built up. They royally fucked me over on some fine-print technicality and STOLE back 50k of those miles! Unbelievable bullshit, I tried to escalate and got stonewalled at the first "callcenter supervisor". Never giving them a dime of my money again, except to use that remaining 25k miles on a ticket.

Zach929rr
Thu Feb 28th, 2013, 10:38 PM
United is dicks.

Southwest. Upgrade gets you leg room, free tv and a beer.

I`m Batman
Thu Feb 28th, 2013, 10:51 PM
I tolerate United because they fly everywhere even international. If they don't, their partners do that way you can keep all your miles in one spot and not sprinkle them everywhere where they are worth nothing.

Oddibe
Thu Feb 28th, 2013, 11:15 PM
I like Southwest for the pricing, Frontier for making me feel important, and United for showing me just how bad domestic airlines can be. Delta has never impressed me. I've flown Allegiant a couple times & the prices rock! Plus DIA sucks so flying Loveland or CS is a nice change of pace.

Just my .02.

moep
Thu Feb 28th, 2013, 11:22 PM
I use to fly a lot with my last two jobs. I loved Southwest. I will never fly US Air. I sometime fly United. Frontier was great until someone else bought them a while back. Frontier does have the nicest planes around.

Tipys
Thu Feb 28th, 2013, 11:53 PM
Thanks guys for the options. So far sounding like Frontieris where I'm going to look except they are limited where they go.

Right now I just been looking genral. I travel a couple times a year. Most steady has been NYC.

Ghosty
Thu Feb 28th, 2013, 11:56 PM
Check JetBlue if you don't care about LaGuardia or JFK. I think they have a frequent route from DIA to/from LG. A tad more expensive, but free DirecTV, or use to.

Sparker
Fri Mar 1st, 2013, 06:25 AM
Thanks guys for the options. So far sounding like Frontieris where I'm going to look except they are limited where they go.

Right now I just been looking genral. I travel a couple times a year. Most steady has been NYC.

My wife and I always take United when we fly back and forth from nyc. Best direct flight and price. I will typically pay a little extra for a direct flight instead of a connection

longrider
Fri Mar 1st, 2013, 06:30 AM
I am no frequent flyer but Frontier is always my choice. I will give another vote for the stretch seating, it is more than worth the $25.

modette99
Fri Mar 1st, 2013, 07:56 AM
I got to be honest flying all my life due to my fathers career never once an issue. Even with me buying tickets never once an issue with all the flights. I've never had a lost bag, I can not think of any problems do to airlines fault.

Southwest gets you there but I'm not a fan of the grab a seat mentality. I rather pay more and know my seat number.

I will admit I tend to drive across the US now, I like to see the country side and to me flying even a short flight seems like an all day event...LOL So it never feels like I save much time anyways. Only a day and a half to TN, besides I can take the dog too so no boarding fees.

Wife does want to go to Australia at some point. I'll only fly Business/First on that long of a flight, it makes a world of difference in feeling refreshed when you get to your destination. I did that to Lome, Togo best flight ever and besides fun sitting up on the top deck :-)

Ghosty
Fri Mar 1st, 2013, 11:23 AM
I'm actually flying to NewJersey in a couple weeks. As of last night, cheapest was Frontier to LaGuardia. YMMV...

bluedogok
Fri Mar 1st, 2013, 08:58 PM
I use to fly a lot with my last two jobs. I loved Southwest. I will never fly US Air. I sometime fly United. Frontier was great until someone else bought them a while back. Frontier does have the nicest planes around.
Frontier has been (or soon will be) spun off from Republic to its own airline based in Denver once again. They start Houston (Bush/Intercontinental) service at the end of the month which will be nice for our trip down there for a wedding in April, that flight will give me enough miles for a free round-trip. My wife usually flies Southwest bu t most of the time she is going to Midland/Odessa and they are much cheaper than the United/Continental direct flight which is around ($400 vs. $900).

I have not had any issues at DIA, even before I had an airport badge to bypass the line at security. There have been some not so great experiences at airports big or small.

Canuck
Sat Mar 2nd, 2013, 08:55 AM
clicky (http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2013/01/25/air-canada-porter-4-star-airlines-north-america_n_2550758.html)

For the airlines in the States, I prefer United and Frontier. I hate SW, because of their cattle call system. But, I do fly them to Vegas because its a short flight and you can't beat their cost and flight schedule there. Plus, I will admit, they do have a good safety rating with the 737's.

My mother-in law just flew to Tel Aviv and she said that her AC flight from Toronto to Tel Aviv was the best flight experience that she ever had. And she hates to fly.

rforsythe
Sun Mar 3rd, 2013, 03:29 AM
I travel via airplane about 10-12 times per year. I like United as it's a major Denver hub, so getting a direct flight is pretty simple. Additionally, i fly international about two times a year and Lufthansa treats all their passangers well! You can't beat free booze on a 12-15 hour flight!!!

BA business class, dude. About to head back from Heathrow on it, the free booze is just part of the awesomeness. ;) And the 777 lay-flat seats are great.

For domestic, I almost universally fly Southwest. I've only had 1-2 marginal experiences, never anything terrible. At one point I was flying 1-2 times a month, so quite a bit of time spent in DIA terminal C and points between.

Unless you're paying bucks for fancy shit, domestic flights are all pretty basic stuff anyway. Some will offer upgrades for more leg room, but I solve that on southwest by being in the A boarding group (either the early bird checkin which is A15-30, or business select in which case I'm usually A1 plus no security wait and a free drink coupon). Being first on means you don't have to battle for overhead bin space, so your foot area is nice and empty underneath. That plus an iPad for entertainment and I'm usually good on a 737 for a few hours.

Frontier is my 2nd choice, I like the Airbus a little better (like Barn said you can pay for some minor seating upgrades), but I like that I can get whatever seat I want on SWA. Customer service is pretty similar either way.

Ghosty
Sun Mar 3rd, 2013, 04:30 AM
BA business class, dude. About to head back from Heathrow on it, the free booze is just part of the awesomeness. ;) And the 777 lay-flat seats are great.
Egads! How much are those tix, like $3k?

salsashark
Sun Mar 3rd, 2013, 06:43 AM
You guys need to lobby for virgin to put a hub at dia... Best domestic service, by far... Too bad they have pretty limited CONUS routes.

(Typing this while sitting at LAX waiting for my flight) - since Ralph did it :lol:

Narsisco Lopez
Sun Mar 3rd, 2013, 08:03 AM
Private. Can't beat driving your vehicle right up to the plane and not having to deal with the TSA. Oh and the plane leaves when you want it too.

But if your not a baller, then southwest or Alaskan.

Man, I wish I could travel via Net Jets, Jet Suite, etc.... SO NICE. I was lucky enough to bounce around the country in my boss's Grumman Tiger (doing a string of conferences) and, because he was owed a favor, one trip on a small charter jet. Traveling through the bigger civil aviation air strips is awesome and so easy... a whole different world, for sure.

rforsythe
Sun Mar 3rd, 2013, 06:25 PM
Egads! How much are those tix, like $3k?

:lol: Over $8k round trip to Berlin (TXL). Was over $9k until I moved my return flight out a day, then the price dropped since apparently that flight was not as full. Glad I wasn't paying for it, but I'll certainly take advantage of the opportunity!