PDA

View Full Version : PRE-RIDE

Ph03niX
Sun Mar 3rd, 2013, 08:58 PM
So after todays ride I thought it might be a good idea to lay down some advice or techniques for people to know before they go out riding.

Maybe we can start a professional list or something and make a sticky? I'd just like to help others from making the mistakes I did.

1) Don't ride with the group if you feel uncomfortable about the speed. It's ok to ride at YOUR pace, not others who most likely have more experience.

2) If you want others to pass you, signal to get to the right side of the lane and then signal to others to pass you.

3) If you're going wide in a turn, don't slow down. When in doubt, throttle out (speed up). The bike will want to stand up straight when you slow down in a turn, causing you to go wide. Make sure for SMOOTH throttle roll on.

Thanks Matty.

Frankie675
Mon Mar 4th, 2013, 10:02 AM
Keep a bicycle pump and tire gauge near your bike. Make sure you have the right pressure before fun riding, and a least every couple rides if commuting.

bulldog
Mon Mar 4th, 2013, 10:04 AM
Keep a bicycle pump and tire gauge near your bike. Make sure you have the right pressure before fun riding, and a least every couple rides if commuting. People probably think you are kidding, but tire pressue is so important! I once crashed at the track because I was a idiot and forgot to check tire pressure.

Good tip!!!! :up:

asp_125
Mon Mar 4th, 2013, 10:11 AM
3) If you're going wide in a turn, don't slow down. When in doubt, lean more!. The bike will want to stand up straight when you slow down in a turn, causing you to go wide. ...

Thanks Matty.

FTFY. Adding throttle will either pull you through provided you're not already headed for the trees, or you'll go off in a spectacular fashion.

Most noobs who run wide are nowhere near their max lean. Instead they freeze up and fixate on what they’re going to hit instead of the turn. If you’re not dragging pegs (in which case you’re probably not a noob), you still have lean angle left. Learn to trust your tires, they are probably better than you. If you find yourself running wide, stay off the brakes, force yourself to look through the turn and kiss that inside mirror.

Worst case is you'll tuck the front and lowside, instead of riding head on into a boulder or highside if the rear spins out from too much gas and catches.

madvlad
Mon Mar 4th, 2013, 10:15 AM
Keep a bicycle pump and tire gauge near your bike. Make sure you have the right pressure before fun riding, and a least every couple rides if commuting.

Tire pressures are a huge part of bike handling either at the track or the street. Hell half a pound at the track could mean time shaving/loss in a lap or loss of control. Good pointer there.

Mother Goose
Mon Mar 4th, 2013, 10:16 AM
So after todays ride I thought it might be a good idea to lay down some advice or techniques for people to know before they go out riding.

Maybe we can start a professional list or something and make a sticky? I'd just like to help others from making the mistakes I did.

1) Don't ride with the group if you feel uncomfortable about the speed. It's ok to ride at YOUR pace, not others who most likely have more experience.

2) If you want others to pass you, signal to get to the right side of the lane and then signal to others to pass you.

3) If you're going wide in a turn, don't slow down. When in doubt, throttle out (speed up). The bike will want to stand up straight when you slow down in a turn, causing you to go wide. Make sure for SMOOTH throttle roll on.

Thanks Matty.
1. Not just it's ok to, you MUST RIDE YOUR OWN RIDE.

3. If you keep the same throttle position, the bike will scrub off speed on it's own, which is what you'll want if you're about to blow a corner. Telling someone to give it more throttle will be a disaster for a noob. They are already going too fast for the corner, yet you think they should go even faster?? That doesn't make any sense to me.

Matty
Mon Mar 4th, 2013, 11:15 AM
3. They are already going too fast for the corner, yet you think they should go even faster?? That doesn't make any sense to me.

so hitting their brakes is a better idea?!?!?! well of course holding the throttle steady would be recommended. but most n00bs freeze up and hit the brakes. which is why, when i doubt stay on the throttle out, like JLo said, unless you're already dragging elbow, there's plenty of grip on those tires.

Mother Goose
Mon Mar 4th, 2013, 11:18 AM
so hitting their brakes is a better idea?!?!?! well of course holding the throttle steady would be recommended. but most n00bs freeze up and hit the brakes.
I never said to hit the brakes...

Matty
Mon Mar 4th, 2013, 11:20 AM
I never said to hit the brakes...

i never said go faster!

Mother Goose
Mon Mar 4th, 2013, 11:23 AM
i never said go faster!
He did, which is why I posted what I did. But you come back with my quote like I'm saying to get onto the binders. And THIS is why I didn't want to post what I did, but I didn't want a noob to think he had to open up the throttle to make a turn he/she is already going too fast for. :wtf:

Over it. Have fun with this thread guys. :up:

Matty
Mon Mar 4th, 2013, 11:26 AM
oh come on Wicky...... it's all fun and games. lol.

Use your Moderator powers and makes this thread go away! SERIOUSLY.

Ph03niX
Wed Mar 6th, 2013, 07:54 PM
Yeah.. Someone just made a thread like this. It can be deleted. Good info though.

MisterDeadman
Thu Mar 28th, 2013, 10:24 PM

Didn't know you could pump your tires with a bicycle pump! I always fire up a compressor....