PDA

View Full Version : A Proposal for New/Newish Riders

dirkterrell
Mon Mar 4th, 2013, 08:44 AM
After going through the posts in the group ride thread this weekend, it made me think about the learning process for riding and how we, the sportbike community, could do something to help new riders develop the skills necessary to ride more safely and be able to enjoy the sport more. I must admit that reading the thread as the weekend approached, I was willing to bet that there would be a crash. Many haven't been riding in months, the roads can be dirty this time of year, etc. and the excitement of the first warm day with a bunch of other riders historically leads to at least one person crashing.

Motorcycling is too fun for crashing and getting hurt, and with sportbikes it seems that many crashes are due to people riding past their skill level. Now, there are many people in this club who have been riding for a long time and have learned valuable things about how to have fun riding on the street while minimizing the risks, myself included. So, I asked myself how we could come up with a way of getting those skills from the heads of the experienced riders into those of the new ones with real riding feedback, not simply posts on the forums. The following is my initial idea of how to achieve that.

1) First, recognize that learning how to ride is the most important thing you can do to become a better rider. Aftermarket exhausts and fender eliminators might be cool, but they do nothing to make you a better rider. Invest your money in things like training, good suspension setup, making sure your brakes and tires are in good shape, quality gear, etc before you go spending money on bling.

2) For new riders, I very strongly recommend that you take the MSF Basic Rider Course (BRC). You will learn some very important things in that course. In fact, my first "put your money where your mouth is" action will be this: if you take the BRC from Bob Hasenhundl (Spiderman here on the CSC) or Jim Wilson (UglyDogRacing) though ABATE, I will pay for half of the cost of the course for five people per month. I'll look into a way of setting up a fund so that others can contribute if they can. I may add to the list of instructors as time goes along, but I want to confine this effort to the CSC. I'm saying that I'll pay half to help with cost, but I also want you to pay some of it as your recognition that training is important. If you can afford to pay for all of it, please do, so we can help more people.

3) Once you have taken the BRC (required), I will spend time riding with small groups (5 or less) on the street, and perhaps the track, working with you to improve your skills and hopefully impart some important lessons that I have learned in 30 years of riding, both street and track. I envision these rides occurring on weekends once or twice a month, and perhaps occasionally during the week for those whom weekends are difficult. Evening rides after work would also be possible. There will be no cost for this other than having your bike ready to go. I will have at least one other experienced rider with me and there will be plenty of individualized "we show and you do" on these rides. The atmosphere will be relaxed, there will be lots of time for questions, riding, and feedback.

I had the good fortune when starting out to get feedback from experienced riders, several of whom had raced for years. I have been helping new riders sporadically for a while, but this will formalize it a bit more. So, let's have some feedback. Specifically:

1) New/Newish riders: would you participate?

2) Would there be many people willing to donate even a small amount to helping people pay for the BRC?

Let's start helping each other out more and see if we can reduce the crashes and injuries.

Dannymack
Mon Mar 4th, 2013, 08:51 AM
I've been riding for 5 years now, but could definitely benefit from something of this sort. I'd be willing to contribute to the fund for the brc.

asp_125
Mon Mar 4th, 2013, 08:57 AM
If you set up a paypal account I'll throw in a few bucks. I've led a few noob-ish riders some time ago and would be willing to do so again (later in the spring, when I get out of my fracture boot)

Cornfed
Mon Mar 4th, 2013, 09:05 AM
If you set up a paypal account I'll throw in a few bucks. I've led a few noob-ish riders some time ago and would be willing to do so again

I would and I would.

Mother Goose
Mon Mar 4th, 2013, 09:09 AM
I'd be willing to help out in any way I can, especially out at the track since I'm just racing now and don't have a street bike.

madvlad
Mon Mar 4th, 2013, 09:23 AM
Down to help with funds and seat time.

PunyJuney
Mon Mar 4th, 2013, 09:25 AM
I'm happy to kick in to the fund and sweep for you when available. I wholly agree with funding Abate managed classes, even though I've participated in others due to schedule conflicts on advanced classes. Take every opportunity to train when it comes to riding a sport bike. I know my Total Control class saved my life when a pick up truck banged out a u-turn in front of me on peak to peak highway. Riding at speed isn't the only thing to worry about. Most accidents are mitigated by external factors.
How you deal with them determines your outcome.

It's likely that Terry at Abate has a way for us to contribute to this so that it remains 'tax sheltered' and within .org compliance. I'll ping her and alert her to this to see if she's willing to put some time in on it. I respect that she's very busy taking care of all of us already.

rybo
Mon Mar 4th, 2013, 09:27 AM
Dirk -

I'm in.

I will donate funds and a couple of on-track coaching sessions through Chicane this summer for interested / qualified candidates.

Scott

SaShWhO
Mon Mar 4th, 2013, 09:27 AM
good on you Dirk.
I will contribute both time and money towards this cause

Samko
Mon Mar 4th, 2013, 09:40 AM
+1 donate

moep
Mon Mar 4th, 2013, 09:50 AM
Even though I have been riding since I was 13, I haven't ridden in over 15 years. I bought a new bike a month or so ago and had it delivered to my house. The bike sat at my house, until I took the 2 day class at Full Throttle (this is not an advertisement for them). After having about 9 hours of class time and 9 hours of riding time, then and only then I took the bike out. The class was $99.00 with a coupon and well worth it. IMO, I learned more in the two days, then I did in all the years of riding. I had to break some old bad habits and learned the proper and safe way to ride.

Gramps
Mon Mar 4th, 2013, 09:54 AM
Awesome thread. Awesome gesture.

:up:

I hope that the "newbs" are honest and forthcoming enough to put themselves in such a group.

SaShWhO
Mon Mar 4th, 2013, 09:54 AM
I envision the first course something like this!:)

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc6/165916_610368885643205_1146455566_n.jpg

Ghosty
Mon Mar 4th, 2013, 09:59 AM
Can someone give me a synapsis of what happened on the Winter Buster ride, without having to read the entire thread? Please keep it clean and to the facts, heh. Danke'.

JKOL
Mon Mar 4th, 2013, 10:05 AM
I will gladly donate $ to this cause.

And I would love to get on a track for the first time and get some coaching as opposed to just going out there blind.

madvlad
Mon Mar 4th, 2013, 10:12 AM
I envision the first course something like this!:)

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc6/165916_610368885643205_1146455566_n.jpg

I see a harlem shake vid coming on :lol:

JonnyD
Mon Mar 4th, 2013, 10:33 AM
I would love to donate to this cause!

Cornfed
Mon Mar 4th, 2013, 10:36 AM
Can someone give me a synapsis of what happened on the Winter Buster ride, without having to read the entire thread? Please keep it clean and to the facts, heh. Danke'.

Noob ran wide. Bounced off some rocks. Life flighted out.

Ghosty
Mon Mar 4th, 2013, 11:28 AM
Oh no! Guess I will read it afterall. Glad they didn't die, eek! :(

(hence why I take curves well WITHIN my current skill level)

Vance
Mon Mar 4th, 2013, 12:12 PM
EDIT: Let me correct that --- I am not new nor a noob - but the time off a sport bike has me seriously lacking in skills and I feel this course of action would be brilliant for me to get my skills and confidence back up to where it was before.

Count me in / let me know when it comes to fruition!

Spooph
Mon Mar 4th, 2013, 12:19 PM
Didn't we have something along these lines, although not as well thought out and supported in the Rider Mentoring a couple years back?

Great idea Dirk!

Snowman
Mon Mar 4th, 2013, 12:45 PM
Yep, I can help with a donation too...

moep
Mon Mar 4th, 2013, 12:49 PM
Count me in for donation and seat time.

DiddysR6
Mon Mar 4th, 2013, 12:58 PM
This is a great idea, I would be willing to donate some funds and time to anyone new/newish/ whatever, to help them improve their skills. It's a win/win for anyone to participate in something like this.

Idea1, I remember back in the day, we used to setup a noob ride at the begining of the season. What if we see what kind of interest there is, and continue these rides throughout the spring/summer.

Idea2, To help fund, we could do a a type of benefit ride, and open it up to other clubs/ organizations ?

madvlad
Mon Mar 4th, 2013, 01:06 PM
How about also taking advantage of bike nights and also take groups of new people attending there for talks about gear, riding techniques and to answer questions?

Snowman
Mon Mar 4th, 2013, 01:11 PM
I also think open track days like Chicane played a large influence on the street rider crowd. There was no excuse for over riding your bike when you could easily take it to a track and have real instruction at a reasonable price.

There will always be people you ride above their skill level from time to time for a majority of reasons. We shouldn't condemn them for being being stupid as much as recognizing there are times and places for it.

tecknojoe
Mon Mar 4th, 2013, 01:16 PM
There was is no excuse for over riding your bike when you could easily take it to a track

fixed

Cornfed
Mon Mar 4th, 2013, 01:49 PM
I remember back in the day, we used to setup a noob ride at the begining of the season. What if we see what kind of interest there is, and continue these rides throughout the spring/summer.

Good idea, but just getting a bunch of inexperienced riders together for a ride is only half an effort. Noob ride where you pair up experienced riders with inexperienced riders who are willing to tactfully share there experiences and hold the ride at a learning pace is a more effective way to safely increase technique and safety of those inexperienced riders. Control riders on the street if you will.
Otherwise you just have a parade of noobs learning bad habits from other noobs.

UglyDogRacing
Mon Mar 4th, 2013, 01:53 PM
I would recommend the MSF Advanced Rider Course for the CSC members, which Bob and I both instruct - http://www.msf-campus.org/AdvancedRiderCourse.aspx

We go much more in depth with risk management and the riding exercises more closely simulate real world situations.

Sent from my iPad

FZRguy
Mon Mar 4th, 2013, 01:59 PM
I don’t consider myself a rider coach, but I can offer tips to nervous canyon riders on how to ride the canyons smooth and relaxed. I’m available on Monday afternoons to work one on one with any rider that has an interest.

DiddysR6
Mon Mar 4th, 2013, 02:17 PM
Good idea, but just getting a bunch of inexperienced riders together for a ride is only half an effort. Noob ride where you pair up experienced riders with inexperienced riders who are willing to tactfully share there experiences and hold the ride at a learning pace is a more effective way to safely increase technique and safety of those inexperienced riders. Control riders on the street if you will.
Otherwise you just have a parade of noobs learning bad habits from other noobs.

I was thinking more along the lines of a structured Noob ride, almost like a Noob ride class. where the same veteran riders work with the same bunch of noobs for a few weeks/ months until said bunch of noobs are comfortable

OATSF14JERRY
Mon Mar 4th, 2013, 02:50 PM
Excellent.

I have ridden a long long time. The thoughts that have kept me from crashing are these: 1. There will always be people better than me. 2. Unplanned pain hurts. 3. I remember reading a long time ago in a bike mag someone simply said that on group rides "Ride your own bike".

I am a 6 year RC with MSF. It is a great thing when a person calls me weeks or months or even years later (I do give all students my cell #) and they say simply that counter steering saved them from crashing or SEE saved them from crashing. These are two most common.

The MSF course in Oklahoma only costs $165-$175. Is it so much more expensive in Colorado that it must be subsidized? If so I will help.

FZRguy
Mon Mar 4th, 2013, 03:17 PM
I remember years ago when Floyd did some riding classes. We met at Clement park for a classroom/chalk board session, and then did parking lot drills. Next class, we rode to Buffalo Creek area for some on road riding instruction. I think he limited it to 12 or so. Big rides are not very conducive for learning IMO.

Spooph
Mon Mar 4th, 2013, 03:22 PM
Another idea: What about veteran riders who volunteer for the "buddy system". A noob rider can pair up with a knowledgeable rider during a group ride and so have a better frame of reference of corner speeds and such?

Vance
Mon Mar 4th, 2013, 03:43 PM
I would recommend the MSF Advanced Rider Course for the CSC members, which Bob and I both instruct - http://www.msf-campus.org/AdvancedRiderCourse.aspx

We go much more in depth with risk management and the riding exercises more closely simulate real world situations.

Sent from my iPad

Signed up for my class earlier today Jim - June 8 at RRCC - through the CO ABATE site! :)

asp_125
Mon Mar 4th, 2013, 04:47 PM
Where are the noobs weighing in on this thread? At the risk of opening a can of worms. What are your ideas or preferences?

Grant H.
Mon Mar 4th, 2013, 04:52 PM
A PayPal account or similar would be great. Then during good months I can donate easily, and back off during poor months ( independent contractor).

I would be interested in getting some coaching, as I am a newer rider, but I can also get my brother to do one on one teaching for me and leave space for others that aren't related to mra racers.

I like the idea, but all the safety lectures, and assistance to get to the classes, only goes so far. There will always be riders, noob or not, that will think their invincible, or better than they are, and they will crash. They've all heard the " ride your own ride" and other safety speeches, but those things only help if the rider listens.

CYCLE_MONKEY
Mon Mar 4th, 2013, 05:10 PM
This is awesome on so many levels. Dr. Dirk, you RAWK!

asp_125
Mon Mar 4th, 2013, 05:12 PM
What Dirk hasn't said is that after the ride, noobs will have to write a thesis. ;) :D

Sean
Mon Mar 4th, 2013, 05:35 PM
I'm open to riding/giving tips to any noob on the western slope or high rockies. I can help with sportbikes or dual sports. Feel free to PM me anytime.
(I'm no pro and have not raced, but I tend to get around just fine and have had a fair amount of quality instruction.)

I would also like to advocate that Chicane Track days come back this season. In my opinion, it is one of the best, and most beneficial experiences that any rider can have. For any newer or intermediate riders who are reading this, quality track instruction is worth every penny. It's saved my bike/gear/life more times then I can count. And Chicane always made race tracks accessible to anyone. I hope it is able to return, because it as been a missing void in sportbike community education for the past few years.

madvlad
Mon Mar 4th, 2013, 06:03 PM
What Dirk hasn't said is that after the ride, noobs will have to write a thesis. ;) :D

Can you say midterm? Lol

Dannymack
Mon Mar 4th, 2013, 06:05 PM
As effectively a noob when it comes to riding in most situations other than commuting I would love this system. I'll donate to the class system and would definitely love to have a veteran rider take me through the paces and give their insight.

kingtut
Mon Mar 4th, 2013, 06:19 PM
Where are the noobs weighing in on this thread? At the risk of opening a can of worms. What are your ideas or preferences?

First off, big thanks to the OP for such a great proposal. I would most definitely be a worthy candidate for some personal instruction, and I would also be happy to contribute to the fund in question. In regards to "which" ideas or preferences: For me, the smaller the group (or personal one-on-one instruction) the better.

In full disclosure, I did participate in a similar "SaShWhO ride" in the past - very nice guy, he did the pre-ride speech, and hope to ride with him again down the road. That particular ride, I want to say Christy(?) and Mr. Barn took the time to hang back and 'lead me'-- much thanks for that. I had a good experience and wouldn't hesitate to do another group ride. I did however choose not to participate this year...due to potential poor road conditions, colder(ish) weather in the am hours, my own reservations about getting in the way of others, and other obligations at home.

(Special thanks to tecknojoe who has also taken me out many-a-time; never once making me feel insignificant for my noob-skill level.)

Like Vance, I plan on signing up for an Abate class this season- perhaps the "Intermediate" at ACC? My goal is to get my feet wet with some track days, preferably personal instruction (Chicane track days).

psyclone
Mon Mar 4th, 2013, 06:36 PM
I want to help. Improving rider safety is important, for everyone.

Cornfed
Mon Mar 4th, 2013, 07:08 PM
I have yet to earn a number 1 number plate but I've had the chance to learn and ride with some incredible riders over the years.
Hit me up noobs. Any given Sunday. One on one to small groups of no more than four.

Repsol a095
Mon Mar 4th, 2013, 07:38 PM
Be warned though, Cornfed is gay, but prefers small groups instead of one-on-one.

Cornfed
Mon Mar 4th, 2013, 07:40 PM
Be warned though, Cornfed is gay, but prefers small groups instead of one-on-one.

Correction, Bi. Doubles your chances of hooking up.

TEC 2.0
Mon Mar 4th, 2013, 07:45 PM
So what defines a noob from a veteran, actual riding experience or Post count?

madvlad
Mon Mar 4th, 2013, 08:03 PM
Riding experience of course

#1Townie
Mon Mar 4th, 2013, 08:12 PM
Dirk you are the man.

AOK303
Mon Mar 4th, 2013, 09:16 PM
Rider Mentoring Is kinda what i went through Had Slo help and went on a couple of group rides where alot of riders helped

I took the MSF first and road 2 months on the street, but still learned more in 3 canyon runs with the Mentoring then prior time combined. I did ride 10 years before and even road a bike from here to cali in 2001 but the things i did remember are the DO not do parts.

kawasakirob
Tue Mar 5th, 2013, 12:42 AM
I'd be willing to donate time in order to take inexperienced riders out and about. I've learned the hard way when riding on the street and am lucky to be alive. My MANY mistakes can be used to positively teach others.

Scer
Tue Mar 5th, 2013, 06:21 AM
I think this is a great idea too. Share the wealth in both finances and wisdom among the community.

I can assist with donations and a tire seminar. If I have the time I could also participate with a riding effort as well.

Thanks for the idea and putting this together Dirk!

Narsisco Lopez
Tue Mar 5th, 2013, 07:30 AM
So, I'm just getting back into reading/following new posts on this forum, but have been pretty active over on others for a few years now. I've been doing a lot of bike-swapping lately as I find new bikes I'd like to try. Last year was a KTM 990 Adventure and my riding was primarily geared towards longer, mixed terrain, multi-day, mixed camping moteling.

I've taken a few safety and technique courses... last year's was a MSF with United Dirt Bike School (ABATE-certified) and a 2 day intensive trail-braking course at Danny Walker's American Supercamp.

While I don't consider myself a noob, I know I have gaps I'd like to fill... especially in my canyon carving techniques. So, I'd love to do something like this... sounds like I could learn a lot and meet some of you experienced riders and site contributors... would be a blast!

G35CO
Tue Mar 5th, 2013, 07:44 AM
That’s a great idea, thank you dirk. I start riding 5 years ago but I consider myself a noob. I would love to have a mentor for street and track riding, I’m always interested in learning from the right people.

I went to IMI several times and someone form this club was there once (I think it was dirk but I’m not sure) and gave me great tips that improved my riding.

I like Scer idea on tire seminar. I hope we will have a suspension seminar that will cover how to setup the sag and the different suspension adjustments and how they affect the bike.

sky_blue
Tue Mar 5th, 2013, 08:08 AM
Just to be clear, and I'm not referencing anyone specifically, but I think the mentoring Dirk is talking about here is about how to be "safe" in the canyons.

A mentor should critique your fundamentals, things like lane positioning, body positioning, looking through a corner, using the apex, riding the pace -- but these are all with an emphasis on anticipation, and giving you tools to survive your mistakes. A mentor's goal will not be to make you a track-star in the mountains. Want to learn to drag knee? Go to a trackday.

Nick_Ninja
Tue Mar 5th, 2013, 09:10 AM
Just to be clear, and I'm not referencing anyone specifically, but I think the mentoring Dirk is talking about here is about how to be "safe" in the canyons.

A mentor should critique your fundamentals, things like lane positioning, body positioning, looking through a corner, using the apex, riding the pace -- but these are all with an emphasis on anticipation, and giving you tools to survive your mistakes. A mentor's goal will not be to make you a track-star in the mountains. Want to learn to drag knee? Go to a trackday.

+1 :up:

I have led a few CSC and other rides. I find that if the more experienced riders take off like a bat-outa-hell the lemmings will follow. I have been a few miles down the road when I look in my mirror and there isn't a rider behind --- only to turn around and go back to witness the carnage wrapped up on the guardrail or jersey barricade. The only way to avert this is to ride for the lowest common denominator. Like that's gonna happen :roll:

dirkterrell
Tue Mar 5th, 2013, 09:23 AM

I couldn't have said it any better. The idea is to help you with fundamental things that will help you become a better rider. These things might very well make you faster, but that is not the point. If your primary goal is to go faster, then you need to be doing work with someone on the track and there are several ways to do that around here (e.g. with Chicane, the MRA school, Ricky Orlando, Go 4 It, Jason Pridmore, etc.). The very first thing I will ask you to do is leave your ego behind, so if that is what drives your desire to ride, this is not the thing for you.

Jim makes a good point about the ARC and I will offer nothing but encouragement for taking it. It is a bargain. But my offer to pay is for newer and less experienced riders who fit in between the target audiences for the BRC and the ARC. If you still want to ride with me, the ARC is fine but don't blame me if you get bored. I'm basically requiring the BRC as an assurance that you have at least the basics down.

Thank you all for your offers to help, especially being willing to help new riders who need it to cover the cost of the BRC. It is that sort of spirit that I knew was there and ready to be tapped into.

For those who haven't taken the BRC, you can get the details on the ABATE site:

http://abate.si2.com/ABATE/TRS.nsf/Locations-BRC?OpenForm

Now, are there any riders here who have already taken the BRC and want to get some riding time with feedback? If so, I'll start planning.

Dirk

madvlad
Tue Mar 5th, 2013, 09:24 AM
+1 :up:

I have led a few CSC and other rides. I find that if the more experienced riders take off like a bat-outa-hell the lemmings will follow. I have been a few miles down the road when I look in my mirror and there isn't a rider behind --- only to turn around and go back to witness the carnage wrapped up on the guardrail or jersey barricade. The only way to avert this is to ride for the lowest common denominator. Like that's gonna happen :roll:

When I lead rides that I know slow people will be at I always take it easy, hell even with a fast group I always sweep cause hauling ass in the canyons is just a rarity for me due to all the factors that play into your demise there or jail time :lol:... I just think that new people need to understand the true meaning behind "ride your own ride" which means don't attempt to keep up if the group is hauling ass and you feel out of your handling element lol

G35CO
Tue Mar 5th, 2013, 10:10 AM
Now, are there any riders here who have already taken the BRC and want to get some riding time with feedback? If so, I'll start planning.
Dirk
I'm in. Thanks Dirk!

Dannymack
Tue Mar 5th, 2013, 10:22 AM
For someone like myself who never took the brc but has been riding quite a decent amount, 6 to 8k last year alone, should I take the brc still to make sure I've got the skills covered? Or should I pick up a book and do some reading?

asp_125
Tue Mar 5th, 2013, 10:22 AM
+1 if you want to drag knee in the canyons, I don't want to mentor you there. I'm not going to give track instruction. If that's your goal, support our local track schools and take it to the track. It wouldn't be right to take potential business away from Ricky, Rybo etc. IMO.

In the canyons we will work on techniques and strategies to stay alive, ride better, and have more fun.

G35CO
Tue Mar 5th, 2013, 10:59 AM
Just to clarify my previous post, when I was talking about track mentoring I was thinking about the IMI mentoring we did last year. In my experience going to IMI improved my street riding. Going to IMI helped me practice tight turns in a safe environment. I don’t go to IMI to drag a knee and so far I didn’t drag a knee. I would like one day to drag a knee so I would know how it feels but that’s not why I go to IMI.

madvlad
Tue Mar 5th, 2013, 11:01 AM
When I was talking about track mentoring I was thinking about the IMI mentoring we did last year. In my experience going to IMI improved my street riding. Going to IMI helped me practice tight turns in a safe environment. I don’t go to IMI to drag a knee and so far I didn’t drag a knee. I would like one day to drag a knee so I would know how it feels but that’s not why I go to IMI.

Check with Rybo for a session at HPR man, he'll make you a way better rider in a trackday's session for sure if you want to gain quick confidence with your bike and your riding style... I plan on at least one day with him this year if possible, hell even a couple trackdays last year made me a much more confident and smarter rider.

G35CO
Tue Mar 5th, 2013, 11:27 AM
I would like to attend a track day but I cannot afford the cost that comes with it, kids are expensive :)

It’s not just the cost of attending the track day, i will need to get new tires. I currently have PR3 tires which works okay in IMI but I don’t think they will survive at HPR.

madvlad
Tue Mar 5th, 2013, 11:47 AM
I would like to attend a track day but I cannot afford the cost that comes with it, kids are expensive :)

It’s not just the cost of attending the track day, i will need to get new tires. I currently have PR3 tires which works okay in IMI but I don’t think they will survive at HPR.

People ride street tires at the track plus if you are learning then you're not going to be ripping extremely hard plus they'll heat up a lot more at the track than the street always so you'll feel the grip difference as you start to get there. You can always do a half day punch card along with other people and it'll be cheaper that way and it'll get your feet wet at the track. I did it a few times and man what great fun and experience that was plus superstreet for my first track time last August (thanks Siob :up: ) and have never looked back :lol:

The-Violator
Tue Mar 5th, 2013, 11:48 AM
Motorcycle in good SAFE working order.......CHECK
Proper Gear............CHECK
BRC .... CHECK
Mentor Ride........ READY AND WAITING

Great idea Can't wait! Sign me up for Ride #1!

Grim2.0
Tue Mar 5th, 2013, 12:06 PM
I can show people what not to do on a DRZ since ive experienced a few things here and there on why i shouldn't do certain things.

As far as sport bike i have learned a lot from Cornfed, Bueller, and watching people like Vellos, matty, and a few others ride. I wouldn't mind passing some information along.

Grim2.0
Tue Mar 5th, 2013, 12:14 PM
To add to this also I will once again be doing early AM rides this year, yes they are early, yes they can tend to be cold, but what better time to learn how to handle the canyon's and the conditions when there are no cars or other riders hauling ass.

The early am rides are how i learned to navigate the canyons properly, holding my line and prepare for changes in the road. Anyone here who has watched my earlier videos can tell you that i could not hold my line for shit, my footing was improper, and my body position was poor. Thanks to all of the constructive criticism on here i have become a much more comfortable safe rider.

Zach929rr
Tue Mar 5th, 2013, 12:17 PM
Best run I've ever had up Bear Creek was at 5am

madvlad
Tue Mar 5th, 2013, 01:14 PM
Best run I've ever had up Bear Creek was at 5am

+1 early morning rides are the best except with the fact you have to keep an eye out for animal movement but the few times I went out early with Grim dude it was some of the best and smoothest rides ever. No traffic nothing, tis awesome!

dirkterrell
Tue Mar 5th, 2013, 01:58 PM
For someone like myself who never took the brc but has been riding quite a decent amount, 6 to 8k last year alone, should I take the brc still to make sure I've got the skills covered? Or should I pick up a book and do some reading?

Honestly, my recommendation would be to take the Advanced Rider Course that Jim mentioned earlier. I suspect that would do you the most good. Maybe we could do some more advanced mentoring later but right now I want to focus on newer riders and see how that goes. If this turns out to be popular, we could certainly have rides for people of different skill levels.

Ph03niX
Tue Mar 5th, 2013, 02:41 PM
Just to clarify my previous post, when I was talking about track mentoring I was thinking about the IMI mentoring we did last year. In my experience going to IMI improved my street riding. Going to IMI helped me practice tight turns in a safe environment. I don’t go to IMI to drag a knee and so far I didn’t drag a knee. I would like one day to drag a knee so I would know how it feels but that’s not why I go to IMI.

Ive been there on my atv since im only 10 miles away. Do you tow your bike there? Cause theres a rough dirt to get there.

WolFeYeZ
Tue Mar 5th, 2013, 02:54 PM
Ive been there on my atv since im only 10 miles away. Do you tow your bike there? Cause theres a rough dirt to get there.

That dirt is a blast on my r6 :up:

TEC 2.0
Tue Mar 5th, 2013, 06:40 PM
Mick Doohan explains it best

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VruWHHEnZGw

G35CO
Wed Mar 6th, 2013, 07:39 AM

I ride my bike.

Zach929rr
Wed Mar 6th, 2013, 09:29 AM
Mick Doohan explains it best

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VruWHHEnZGw

I understand the point the video makes, but it is still bullshit.

Who the fuck is trying to drag knee around public buses, picnic tables, and telephone booths?

WolFeYeZ
Wed Mar 6th, 2013, 09:37 AM

Who the fuck is trying to drag knee around public buses, picnic tables, and telephone booths?

There is someone in the CSC that likes to drag knee for left turns in intersections, and another who likes to almost loop wheelies in intersections...

madvlad
Wed Mar 6th, 2013, 09:41 AM
There is someone in the CSC that likes to drag knee for left turns in intersections, and another who likes to almost loop wheelies in intersections...

:D shhhhh

Drano
Wed Mar 6th, 2013, 10:27 AM
Count me in for contributing some funds when you have it set up. BRC is a must!

With a little over a year of street experience and a near-fatal crash under my belt, you can count me in for some receiving some mentoring. I may feel comfortable in the canyons, but I'm still a noob. I'll take as much feedback from the veterans as they're willing to give, and that includes getting some education at HPR this summer. :)

I can also help explain the finer points of ATGATT to the newer noobs if you want. ;)

UHATEIT
Wed Mar 6th, 2013, 01:23 PM
The BRC is great. I was turned to it by Bob and Christie a year ago and took it at Bob's location at the Red Rocks Community College. Got me my M endorsement and learned a lot. I would like to take the next level one which is the sport bike oriented one and I think it is only 1 day for that one

TEC 2.0
Wed Mar 6th, 2013, 06:41 PM

We'll have to get Grim to edit the bus and phone booth too, rocks, trees and creek bottoms.

TorchRedCorvette
Thu Mar 7th, 2013, 07:07 AM
This is a 100% awesome idea- sounds like a great way to fill in the gap between noobs and experts! :applause:

Jason (new member "overhere") has been riding for about a year, mostly on one of my R1's...this winter he bought a Kawi ZZR 1200 and needs to get familiar with it. He's taken the BRC but is interested in something like this, maybe even the Intermediate course sometime soon.

I took the Abate course years ago in North Dakota before I moved here; I've been to the track a couple of times and it helped a LOT, but I'm still slow there and feel like I get in the way. :oops: I would really like to get more comfortable in the canyons. I don't care about being faster, per se- I want to be the safest rider possible for myself and the riders around me.

At any rate, neither of us are complete "noobs", but I really think both of us would benefit greatly from going on even one of these rides, as we both fall into that gap. Our schedules are kind of nuts because we both work oil field out of Brighton, but if those of you who are mentoring post up rides, we'll do our best to join in. Much appreciated!! :yay:

Grim2.0
Thu Mar 7th, 2013, 08:04 AM
and another who likes to almost loop wheelies in intersections...

:spit: :lol:

Rear brake rear brake rear brake!!!

FZRguy
Thu Mar 7th, 2013, 09:48 PM
You can become a comfortable, smooth canyon rider TRC by riding the local canyons...a lot. The track is a whole nother world which takes multiple seasons of racing to become a smooth, fast track rider.

Fumet5uNo
Fri Mar 8th, 2013, 06:46 AM
I would be down to take some people out and help

madvlad
Fri Mar 8th, 2013, 06:48 AM
I would be down to take some people out and help

Not the best choice of words there :lol: jk

THoward
Fri Mar 8th, 2013, 11:41 AM
This is a great idea. Not an advertisement for ABATE, but I do agree with Jim about taking the ARC. We also offer a further skilled class called ABATE Skillz...this is much more precision riding and is taught by our Rider Ed Manager. I also agree that you should get out on the track with the various schools. Just a note from experience, please make sure the folks that go out with you experienced riders know under no uncertain terms that you are NOT liable for any instruction you have given them. I know this sounds petty and silly, but as the Coaches on this forum can attest, we recommend that they do not teach anyone outside of a class. This is a result of a coach several years ago that was sued due to instruction he gave a rider.....as a "friend"...not in an insured class environment. Just cover your butts!!

Fumet5uNo
Fri Mar 8th, 2013, 01:54 PM
Not the best choice of words there :lol: jk

madvlad
Fri Mar 8th, 2013, 02:31 PM

Calm yourself there sparky

Fumet5uNo
Fri Mar 8th, 2013, 03:22 PM
I'm always calm...... That's my problem I'm to calm

PunyJuney
Sat Mar 9th, 2013, 08:44 PM

PR3's have the same compound on the outside contact patch as the Pilot race tires, just more durable in the center and then something in between...well in between. I was told that the 3 in the name means that it's like 3 types of tire integrated in to one...with each compound hitting at the right time. I melted a set quite nicely on the track on my MV Agusta last summer and you could see exactly what temperature each part of the tire was good for.
Certainly not the best choice of track tire but if you're going out for experience and safety training and not to set a record you should be fine. One of the pro's riding with us from the Isle of Man took a lap and loved them.

madvlad
Sat Mar 9th, 2013, 08:49 PM
I'm always calm...... That's my problem I'm to calm

Trust me, that's a very good thing.

MisterDeadman
Sun Mar 10th, 2013, 11:02 AM
I am totally new and would greatly benefit from any instruction. Count me in for donating, as well.

DemonRider
Sun Mar 10th, 2013, 08:35 PM
Although DolphinRider and I have taken the BRC, and I have been riding a few, I still consider myself a "Newbe" and am willing to help in ANYWAY,,, I Will / We Will donate where possible, large Family , Little Income ,,,, but We would love to see more people get what is best for all and enjoy this sport safer then ever ! DolphinRider and I will commit to helping out when we can;) thanks everyone ;) (and this is the reason we enjoy being apart of the CSC :) , our kids will hopefully continue this sport as they grow and to see that people will ALWAYS have there back and best interest in mind no matter what. I thank you all for helping "Groom" our future......

CSC & ABATE !!!! Total and complete RESPECT !! (Enough said, see a few of you at the Parade) keep safe :)

Spooph
Mon Mar 11th, 2013, 04:24 PM
You can become a comfortable, smooth canyon rider TRC by riding the local canyons...a lot. The track is a whole nother world which takes multiple seasons of racing to become a smooth, fast track rider.

The track however is where you find out how far you can push your tires in a lean, not the open road. Being armed then with the knowledge of where the bike's and your limits are you can then know how much you can safely push it on the street. I am saying that if you push the bike to 100% of what it or you are capable of on the track, then you know what 70% or 60% is on the street, and can therefor use that knowledge to dial it down appropriately and even further to 40% and 30% as you approach riskier situations like canyons, sand and such.

Agreed that the track however does not give you the street smarts for situational awareness and/or traffic savvy....

R6Phreak
Fri Mar 15th, 2013, 10:02 AM
Any chance people are going to do some riding this weekend? I would definitely be down...I am relatively new to Colorado and it 'Should' be nice this weekend.

Nolan
Fri Mar 15th, 2013, 12:38 PM
I'm in to help out cash wise and am definitely needing/wanting improvement.

dirkterrell
Tue May 7th, 2013, 09:47 AM
Ok, now that the weather is warming up and we should get some rain this week to clean up the roads a bit, I am thinking it is time to do a riding session. The plan would be to meet in Boulder at my office at 11 am on Sunday, May 12. I do realize this Mother's Day but let's see if there is any interest. I will limit it to 5 riders and I already have two signups. First come, first served.

Dirk

Schiff32
Tue May 7th, 2013, 09:55 AM
In.

bornwildnfree
Tue May 7th, 2013, 03:59 PM
Here's my take on getting out to the track. It's expensive: most new riders do not have full leathers, most can't afford them, not to mention wear and tear on the bike, the trailer, the tires, the list goes on and on... it's scary, and if you only have one motorcycle, you're not always willing to risk it on the track. Yes, even IMI can be intimidating. I say this as someone who will be looking into getting their MSF instructors license here this year or next and I still won't go to the track. I'm not ready and I've put almost 75,000 miles on a bike in the last 4 years.

For those of you really pushing the track, realize that as a n00b rider, you probably weren't on the track either. Yes, it is probably the best place to learn, but from a n00b standpoint it's super scary. The road is less scary because most people have been operating a vehicle on the road for years so please be gentle about mentioning the track and if someone refuses stop pushing. It will only make them less likely to go.

I am happy to offer funds. I am always happy to take a n00b out and show them technique. Spiderman and I were talking about maybe putting together a Road 101 "course" that newer riders could use as a guideline which would fit in here. Anything I can do to support this program, let me know.

bornwildnfree
Tue May 7th, 2013, 04:16 PM
Question: Who makes sure those saying they are experienced really are? I think maybe there needs to be some sort of process where someone saying they are experienced actually is. Not everyone who says they are will be honest with themselves, not everyone who is experienced can necessarily teach either. Now, I know Spiderman, Dirk, Mother Goose, ASP125 are all good riders who can teach. Perhaps to teach, that person needs to ride with the people I mentioned above and only then get added to the list of people that n00bs should ride with.

asp_125
Tue May 7th, 2013, 04:21 PM
Question: Who makes sure those saying they are experienced really are? I think maybe there needs to be some sort of process where someone saying they are experienced actually is. Not everyone who says they are will be honest with themselves, not everyone who is experienced can necessarily teach either. Now, I know Spiderman, Dirk, Mother Goose, ASP125 are all good riders who can teach. Perhaps to teach, that person needs to ride with the people I mentioned above and only then get added to the list of people that n00bs should ride with.

So far, the coaches all know each other and their skillsets. I suppose if it becomes popular and necessary then some sort of vetting process should be in place; but none so far with just three coaches.

And as for the question of WHAT is being taught, we've been passing notes around in class. ;) It's essentially "the Pace" but you can PM any of us for the material.

bornwildnfree
Tue May 7th, 2013, 04:23 PM
Ah, ok, I must have missed something somewhere but I'm super excited you guys are doing this and I wish I would have seen the threads sooner! Good luck this weekend and please let me know if there is anything I can do to help!

Mother Goose
Tue May 7th, 2013, 04:31 PM
For those of you really pushing the track, realize that as a n00b rider, you probably weren't on the track either. Yes, it is probably the best place to learn, but from a n00b standpoint it's super scary. The road is less scary because most people have been operating a vehicle on the road for years so please be gentle about mentioning the track and if someone refuses stop pushing. It will only make them less likely to go.
I was out at IMI in the first year I had my first street bike. It can be scary, and if someone doesn't want to go that route, then there's no reason to push it. It's not for everyone, it can be expensive, but it does let you get to know your bike and what it can do a lot more than any type of (safe) street riding will. Even if you aren't fast, you'll still learn a lot by just having to concentrate on your riding, and not wondering if grandma is about to turn left in front of you, or if there's gravel on the road around the next corner.

I know it helped me a lot getting out there, even if I wasn't going fast. But it isn't for everyone for sure.

asp_125
Tue May 7th, 2013, 04:37 PM
Digressing..

Outside the parameters of this thread, but the Utah Sportbike Assn (UTSBA) runs a Sport Touring oriented track day at Miller, where it's not about lap times but just working on corners. They call it START (Sport Touring Advanced Riding Techniques).

I think Nick I is working with Faast at PMI on something similar. (Sorry Nick, if I'm assuming too much)

Mother Goose
Tue May 7th, 2013, 04:44 PM
Digressing..

Outside the parameters of this thread, but the Utah Sportbike Assn (UTSBA) runs a Sport Touring oriented track day at Miller, where it's not about lap times but just working on corners. They call it START (Sport Touring Advanced Riding Techniques).

I think Nick I is working with Faast at PMI on something similar. (Sorry Nick, if I'm assuming too much)
That's what your first time out there should be about, IMO. Not to be fast and try to beat everyone, but to work on technique and learn more about what your bike can do. Once you do that, you will get faster and not even realize it.

I haven't ridden on the track since September and had one day on 2 wheels since then on a bike I didn't know. So I'm doing the track day this Friday to just get back into it. Not trying to go fast, just working on getting that technique back, and making sure I still have a little bit of it left over from last season. :D

Nooch
Tue May 7th, 2013, 09:19 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v225/JDNewman/9e9.gif (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/JDNewman/media/9e9.gif.html)

dirkterrell
Wed May 8th, 2013, 08:24 AM
New riders, this is for you. Two spots are still open. The pace will be slow and tailored to your needs, with lots of one-on-one feedback.

GMR
Wed May 8th, 2013, 08:35 AM
What time would this go until?

dirkterrell
Wed May 8th, 2013, 08:44 AM
Based on the PM's I'm getting, it's clear that there is a lot of interest from people who have been riding a bit longer but want to work on things. I will address this demand with mentoring sessions in the near future that target such riders (and keep an eye out for such sessions from asp_125 and Cornfed as they have both done them with very positive reviews). The ride on Sunday is for new(ish) riders that want to work on fundamentals slowly and methodically in a real world environment.

dirkterrell
Wed May 8th, 2013, 08:46 AM
What time would this go until?

I'm thinking we'll start at 10-11 am with an hour or so of going over things and then ride for 2-3 hours or more if people want it. This is very relaxed and informal. You can peel off whenever you need to.

dirkterrell
Thu May 9th, 2013, 01:34 PM
Bump. Two slots still open.

Cornfed
Thu May 9th, 2013, 03:05 PM
Bump. Two slots still open.

Good on you Dirkterrell. I'm thrilled to see this continuing. Especially because the focus has remained on new riders. Noobs, this is your chance for patient, constructive, one on one instructing. Summers here, better get it while you can.
:applause:

GMR
Thu May 9th, 2013, 10:15 PM
I'm up to go on Sunday, but would still be on a 250. This could help me out more when I get a bigger bike hopefully in the next week

FZRguy
Thu May 9th, 2013, 10:37 PM
I'm up to go on Sunday, but would still be on a 250. This could help me out more when I get a bigger bike hopefully in the next week

I think it will help you more on a 250 than a 600. The best riders start on small dirt bikes.

dirkterrell
Fri May 10th, 2013, 08:12 AM
Last bump. We have one slot open and I'm going to close signups at 6pm today. This is a good opportunity for new riders to learn some things in a low stress environment with lots of one-on-one feedback and question/answer sessions.

GMR
Fri May 10th, 2013, 10:38 AM
sike. sorry guys, realized I have to work on Sunday so I can have monday and wednesday off. somebody should do it though

dirkterrell
Fri May 10th, 2013, 10:54 AM
I'm curious if there are people who would do this if it weren't Mothers Day? (Trying to gauge future interest...)

Grant H.
Fri May 10th, 2013, 11:12 AM
I would be interested if it wasn't: (take your pick)...

Mothers Day
Work at office needed
Work on own company needed
Work on the house needed
Work on the yard needed
Rest and Relaxation needed
First round of the MRA, with Redbull around, so I want to go watch some
Clean the garage
ETC...

I do think my riding skill is a little past the riding skill you are targeting, however I am sure I could learn a lot during this ride, but I thank you for offering this to people.

rifleshooter
Fri May 10th, 2013, 11:40 AM
I'd like to go to continue my corner work, and to get some feedback to build upon ASP125's excellent instruction.

Do you still have a spot?

dirkterrell
Fri May 10th, 2013, 11:44 AM
I'd like to go to continue my corner work, and to get some feedback to build upon ASP125's excellent instruction.

Do you still have a spot?

Yes, there are two spots open now.

rifleshooter
Fri May 10th, 2013, 12:06 PM
Yes, there are two spots open now.

I'll claim one of them, if you'll let me! Thanks in advance!:cheers:

dirkterrell
Fri May 10th, 2013, 12:48 PM
I'll claim one of them, if you'll let me! Thanks in advance!:cheers:

Ok, you're in.

Dannymack
Mon May 27th, 2013, 06:14 PM
I have a question. Is the fund for basic classes being started? My younger brother is interested in starting to ride now, he just turned 21 and is looking at picking up his buddies 2011 ninja 250r. I've told him the classes are the way to go and he seems up for the idea, but I would like to see if we could help him along in getting some of the money down for the basic class. I am chipping in as well by giving him some gear that I have a home to help him in the process. I'd like to make a donation to the fund monthly as well, just not sure if it exists.

dirkterrell
Mon May 27th, 2013, 06:57 PM
I have a question. Is the fund for basic classes being started? My younger brother is interested in starting to ride now, he just turned 21 and is looking at picking up his buddies 2011 ninja 250r. I've told him the classes are the way to go and he seems up for the idea, but I would like to see if we could help him along in getting some of the money down for the basic class. I am chipping in as well by giving him some gear that I have a home to help him in the process. I'd like to make a donation to the fund monthly as well, just not sure if it exists.

So far I haven't seen enough demand to warrant setting up something official with ABATE, but my offer to pay for half the cost of the class if taken from Bob and/or Jim stands.

Dannymack
Tue May 28th, 2013, 08:41 AM
So far I haven't seen enough demand to warrant setting up something official with ABATE, but my offer to pay for half the cost of the class if taken from Bob and/or Jim stands.

Wonderful I will see what he thinks. Which locations do they teach at? Or should I contact them directly to find out?

dirkterrell
Tue May 28th, 2013, 09:08 AM
Wonderful I will see what he thinks. Which locations do they teach at? Or should I contact them directly to find out?

I would contact them directly. Bob is "Spiderman" here and Jim is "UglyDogRacing".

chrishall314
Tue May 28th, 2013, 09:21 PM
Just read through the thread, okay most of it. I am definitely willing to help out with funds. Personally I took the BRC over 10 years ago and after about an 8 year break, I just picked up a new to me SV650S. Before I even got off the first page of this thread, I signed up for the ABATE Advanced course on 6/29/13 at Red Rocks. I would certainly be up to participate and learn techniques from anyone willing to give them.

Is there anything I should do to prep for the ARCST? I feel I should have more experience going into the class than I already have, just because I spent so many years without a bike.

Sully
Wed May 29th, 2013, 12:28 PM
Just read through the thread, okay most of it. I am definitely willing to help out with funds. Personally I took the BRC over 10 years ago and after about an 8 year break, I just picked up a new to me SV650S. Before I even got off the first page of this thread, I signed up for the ABATE Advanced course on 6/29/13 at Red Rocks. I would certainly be up to participate and learn techniques from anyone willing to give them.

Is there anything I should do to prep for the ARCST? I feel I should have more experience going into the class than I already have, just because I spent so many years without a bike.

If you remember the BRC, try brushing up on the skills you learned there. That may help you prepare for the advanced course :) Glad you're taking the class with Abate :up:

UglyDogRacing
Wed May 29th, 2013, 01:04 PM

My schedule - http://uglydogracing.com/Calendar.html

Dasaxman6
Thu May 30th, 2013, 08:44 PM
So it's been a while since I've posted on the forum, however just wondering if anyone is planning another weekend to pass on some knowledge about canyon carving and such. As long as I know before day of I'm usually off weekends. Put around 2000 miles behind me on two wheels since the annual ride last May, but definately think I could use some help as most of my seat time has been highway driving to work. Also I did the brc up at front range long before I got my bike and was thinking of the intermediate or advanced rider course to strengthen my riding style but not sure which one would be better... Any and all advice is welcome as I know enough to know I don't know nearly enough.

chrishall314
Tue Jun 11th, 2013, 01:36 PM
So it's been a while since I've posted on the forum, however just wondering if anyone is planning another weekend to pass on some knowledge about canyon carving and such. As long as I know before day of I'm usually off weekends. Put around 2000 miles behind me on two wheels since the annual ride last May, but definately think I could use some help as most of my seat time has been highway driving to work. Also I did the brc up at front range long before I got my bike and was thinking of the intermediate or advanced rider course to strengthen my riding style but not sure which one would be better... Any and all advice is welcome as I know enough to know I don't know nearly enough.

I actually was signed up for the advanced class, but switched to the intermediate. I haven't taken it yet, so I am not the best to give advice. My theory is that I am sure I will learn something from the intermediate (probably a lot in my case), and then I can always take the advanced later. I figure if you are not sure, probably better to play it safe with the intermediate class first.

Dasaxman6
Tue Jun 11th, 2013, 02:25 PM
Well I just picked up my 05 SV650 from Fay today so I'm looking at classes for either end of this month or sometime next month for the intermediate rider course. Driving her home today was such a change from my Blast! Going out after I get the insurance called and taken care of. Happy riding everyone!

redzuk
Thu Jun 13th, 2013, 02:51 PM
Are there any classes in southern Colorado? I might sell my 650r to a guy with no riding experience, he lives in la veta. I'll give him a break on the price if he takes some classes.

UglyDogRacing
Thu Jun 13th, 2013, 02:58 PM
Are there any classes in southern Colorado? I might sell my 650r to a guy with no riding experience, he lives in la veta. I'll give him a break on the price if he takes some classes.

ABATE of Colorado offers classes in Pueblo - http://www.abateofcolo.org/

redzuk
Fri Jun 14th, 2013, 01:00 PM
ABATE of Colorado offers classes in Pueblo - http://www.abateofcolo.org/

I will tell the buyer about you. May be worth it for him to drive to Littleton to take the class especially if Dirk is still willing to pay half.

I made a quick trip from La Veta to Cuchara yesterday, what a fun road, makes want to keep the bike. I need some training if I keep riding. I always had a bike but only had the 650r since last summer and its a whole new experience.

dirkterrell
Fri Jun 14th, 2013, 04:19 PM
I will tell the buyer about you. May be worth it for him to drive to Littleton to take the class especially if Dirk is still willing to pay half.

My offer stands.

Generic
Tue Jun 18th, 2013, 02:34 PM
So knowing I have lots of room for improvement I'm looking into class options. I've had my endorsement for 20 years but only been actively riding the last 3 and before that back when I was in HS. Would you recommend the BRC or the Intermediate course?

Thanks,
Murdock

Sully
Tue Jun 18th, 2013, 03:18 PM
I would recommend taking the Intermediate course. The BRC works with locating the bike controls, friction zone, shifting, matching gears to speed, cornering, quick stops, etc. as well as helping you receive your M endorsement. So if you feel you are already good with those skills from riding the last 3 years, then try the intermediate course. If not, by all means, sign up for the BRC as a refresher but it may feel redundant since you've been riding for a while already. :)

UglyDogRacing
Tue Jun 18th, 2013, 05:01 PM
The intermediate course is called the BRC2. It is offered with and without the skills test for getting the M endorsement. It is similar to the BRC except that the speeds are a little higher and you would do it on your own motorcycle. It's a great course for practicing and renewing basic rider skills. There is one offered this Sunday at ACC and the following Sunday at Red Rocks Community College if you are in the Denver Metro area.

Drama2
Tue Mar 18th, 2014, 08:45 PM
Will you be doing this again this year..

dirkterrell
Tue Mar 18th, 2014, 09:14 PM
Yes, I will try to do more of these sessions this year.

Generic
Wed Mar 19th, 2014, 12:00 PM
Great, I'd love to attend. Jeff's canyon class last year was very helpful.

Drama2
Wed Mar 19th, 2014, 12:45 PM
Jeff wont be doing classes this year......:(

Great, I'd love to attend. Jeff's canyon class last year was very helpful.

smorrison20
Mon Apr 7th, 2014, 03:42 PM
Dirk,

I see this post is getting over a year old now. If you are still doing rides with new riders I would love to join in sometime. I thing this is a great idea. I learned tons in the MSF class but would love to learn some more about street riding. If you get this shoot me a message.

Thanks again.

madvlad
Mon Apr 7th, 2014, 04:08 PM
If I get a bike this year I'll host a couple.

Drama2
Mon Apr 7th, 2014, 07:53 PM
Yiippppppeee. Lets go Madvlad..

If I get a bike this year I'll host a couple.

dirkterrell
Mon Apr 7th, 2014, 08:06 PM
Dirk,

I see this post is getting over a year old now. If you are still doing rides with new riders I would love to join in sometime. I thing this is a great idea. I learned tons in the MSF class but would love to learn some more about street riding. If you get this shoot me a message.

I will do some sessions this year. Let's let the roads clear up a bit first, though.

DiddysR6
Tue Apr 8th, 2014, 10:35 AM
Maybe we should start a signup thread, shoot for May, when the roads will be semi-clean

UHATEIT
Tue Apr 8th, 2014, 02:00 PM
Next year when my insurance discount runs out I plan to take the intermediate course as I have heard good things about it as well

kmart313
Wed Jul 15th, 2015, 09:20 AM
I know this thread is quite old now but I was wondering if the op still did this for newbies??

Sully
Wed Jul 15th, 2015, 09:56 AM
I'm sure there are some people still on here who are willing to help out. I know some have moved out of state, no longer on this site, sold their bike, etc., but I'm sure there are some still lurking on here. I think there is a member who will meet you at IMI for some track and riding instruction.

Have you taken the Basic Rider Course from MSF? Advanced Rider Course? What type of instruction are you looking for and what is your skill level?

madvlad
Wed Jul 15th, 2015, 10:05 AM
If either Jeff or someone else would be down with me to do some basic teaching I'd be down one of these weekends.

kmart313
Wed Jul 15th, 2015, 10:34 AM
@sully I have taken the basic rider course, it went by pretty fast for someone with no experience. I am quite the novice so right now I'm still trying to practice the basics around my neighborhood and learn proper and safe technique before I actually go out into traffic. I posted a thread about downshifting because that's really giving me hell right now.

Sully
Wed Jul 15th, 2015, 11:03 AM
Understandable. The class does go by quickly if you have no experience. I would suggest to continue what you are doing, practice, practice and more practice. Go to a empty parking lot, like a high school or something and practice what you learned in class. Matching gears to speed, stopping, swerving, shifting, etc. I'm happy to help out if you'd like.

dirkterrell
Wed Jul 15th, 2015, 11:13 AM
I just moved, so I've been a bit busy with that and stuff at work, but I am always willing to help new riders. I live pretty close to IMI now, and at certain times that can be a great way to learn things without the distractions and dangers of the street.

IMI = http://imimotorsports.com/

for those that don't know.

madvlad
Wed Jul 15th, 2015, 11:17 AM
IMI is a pretty cool short and technical course, it improved my body position a ton last season when I went to test the race bike out there after fixing her. Cheap fun for sure and no worries about traffic or anything else while practicing. Good idea Dirk :up:

Spooph
Wed Jul 15th, 2015, 02:47 PM
I'm up for a second instructional rider (note, I did not say instructor), since Dirk's original offer included that, if needed. I too am very busy, but there is always time to help somebody.