PDA

View Full Version : R6 / Giles GP shifting

BlueDevil
Mon Oct 6th, 2003, 06:48 AM
Man O Man. What a nightmare it is to get the R6 with Giles rear sets to switch to GP (reverse) shifting. I heard it was easy and I just needed some washers.........BS
I gave ti a try 1 day and spent 2 hours only to find out I couldnt get it to work. Gave up put it back stock.

Sat I decided I was going to make it work. 3 more hours, several trips to the hardware store and a stripped bolt later......... Tada.

What a pain in the a$$!!!! Getting the linkage arm just the right length to make asure it will shift and not get stuck in the middle was a huge ordeal. In addition I had to buy a 10mm longer screw to allow enough room to put the 8 washers I had to use to get enough space to not rub the frame. None the less I finally got it right. Shew poor me a drink at last its over!!!!! :lol:

yakuza
Mon Oct 6th, 2003, 08:29 AM
Just make sure you used Lock-Tite on those bolts, you really don't want to be coming out of a turn sometime with your shifter dangling loosly and a trail of washers behind you. :)

BlueDevil
Mon Oct 6th, 2003, 08:34 AM
:up: Done deal.

Kim-n-Dean
Mon Oct 6th, 2003, 09:30 AM
What a pain in the a$$!!!! Getting the linkage arm just the right

Sure! I tell ya now :lol: I'll be making the pivot for "painless" conversion to GP shifting soon. It allows the shift rod to still pass through the frame (R1 & R6). Looks like Sean (MetroPowerSports) and I will soon be making side cases w/ sliders too. Actually, I'll help anyone who needs it - I have a CNC mill at my house.

yakuza
Mon Oct 6th, 2003, 09:41 AM
I have a CNC mill at my house

:wtf: http://www.3dstickfight.com/images/icons/drool.gif

Damn I want a house like that!

Hoopty
Mon Oct 6th, 2003, 11:55 AM
Yeah, where do I sign up for one of those?!?! :o

brian38
Mon Oct 6th, 2003, 07:30 PM
I had a set of the Gilles and had the GP shift set up easily. Unfortunately they sent me ones for an 02 and the brake side is different. Feel free to call if you still need a hand.

Brian
TK Motorsports
720-560-4587

BlueDevil
Tue Oct 7th, 2003, 07:55 AM
Thanks. Im good now. Shew. Setting the R1 up for GP on Sat. Hope its not as bad. I studdied it to make sure I had it in my head before I bothered. I think Im good to go. How is my order coming Brian? Screen/WC spools?

brian38
Tue Oct 7th, 2003, 08:06 AM
All ordered, got the last two windscreens they had for the R6, should be here today or tomorrow.

Brian

BlueDevil
Tue Oct 7th, 2003, 08:09 AM
SWEEEEEEET!!! Give me a shout or PM me. Ill get it faster on a PM cause I think U have my home number.......

Thanks Brian!!!