PDA

View Full Version : Need a tire

Rocfrog
Thu Mar 14th, 2013, 12:34 PM
Ok guys I need a new rear tire for my '06 CBR and I have taken it to Apex for service before but I have honestly never bought a motorcycle tire. So I have a few questions....

How much am I looking to get it replaced?
Where should I take it?
Should I replace it with what is on there?

a few details....it's a 1996 Honda CBR 600F4i and the tire is a Michelin Pilot 180/55 ZR17 and is currently showing belt in a few spots and has a few flat spots, as of this morning the bike has 7,521 miles on it.

Nick

Oddibe
Thu Mar 14th, 2013, 12:38 PM
Innovative Motorsports has Pilots for $118, I believe.

Rocfrog
Thu Mar 14th, 2013, 12:46 PM
Sorry to be ignorant but what/who is "Innovative Motorsports"...???

Nick

Sean
Thu Mar 14th, 2013, 12:54 PM
How much am I looking to get it replaced?
The tire will probably be $130-200 & $15-30 to get it mounted and balanced.

Where should I take it?
I can't help here. You'll have to get some guys from the area. If you liked Apex, take it back there.

Should I replace it with what is on there?
That's more of an individual question. It really depends on what kind of riding you plan on doing. Going to the Track? Looking to get a lot of miles out of it? Spirited or slow in the canyons? Commuting?

You can always check out Motorcycle Superstore to see the different kinds of treads/styles are available. Then go into a shop and place an order.

Rocfrog
Thu Mar 14th, 2013, 01:03 PM
Guess I should have put the riding style info in there as well....

This is a 98% commuter bike, I would love to do more but time/money/nerves just don't allow that other stuff. 8)

Nick

tecknojoe
Thu Mar 14th, 2013, 01:55 PM
I had the Michelin Pilot Power (regular) on my R6. With frequent air pressure checks, the pair lasted me 7k+ miles and 2 track days. I would ride it 50% commute/around town, 40% canyons, <10% track

excellent tire

Also, if you have the means, take the wheels off yourself to get it done. It'll cut the price a great deal. Usually it's ~$23 per tire when it's off the bike

Sean
Thu Mar 14th, 2013, 02:09 PM
This is a 98% commuter bike
If you are doing mostly commuting and not trying to push your bike or skills really hard, you may want to look into sport touring tires. These tires are great if you are not going to do an overly aggressive canyon ride and will last a long time if you're commuting. The compounds are a little harder, which tend to get more mileage. It's not uncommon to get 10+ miles out of a rear. Don't get me wrong, you can rail on sport touring tires too.

Check these out.
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/14/72/961/1/0/0/DEPARTMENT/Street-Motorcycle-Sport-Touring-Tires-Tires.aspx#&&Back=0-0-70%2c230-0-0-0-263-0-24-1-1-1

Oddibe
Thu Mar 14th, 2013, 03:17 PM
Innovation Motorsports
Jared Russell
720-261-0311
2691 S Lowell Blvd
Denver CO 80219

I bought my brand new Pilot for a little over $100 & had it mounted & balanced for $30. Great guy.

Drano
Thu Mar 14th, 2013, 04:53 PM
For commuting I would look at getting Pilot Road 2s or 3's. They have a harder compound on the top, but the sides have the same 2CT compound as Pilot Powers for the occasional jaunt in the canyons.

Rocfrog
Fri Mar 15th, 2013, 09:06 AM
Thanks for all the responses guys! I guess I'll try and swing down to Apex this weekend and see what they have and what kind of pricing they offer and go from there....

I was wondering if anyone has dealt with "Wheel Works" I think it's called, They are up by Woodman and I-25. I use to see them all the time when I worked up there and their signage says they have the best deals on all sorts of Motorcycle tires.

Nick

Drano
Fri Mar 15th, 2013, 10:10 AM
I think I recall some members here having pretty bad experiences with the owner of Wheel Works. I don't remember exactly what was said, but the suggestion was strong enough to make me think twice about taking my bike there for anything. Try calling Treacy over at Jackel Motorsports, he'll get you sorted out. Afaik, he doesn't have tires in stock, but could probably order and mount them for you. (719) 648-6520

brete
Sat Mar 16th, 2013, 05:27 AM
Apex is great to work with. I take my work ATV and personal bike to Apex. I had a Pilot installed last fall and I'm very happy with the service and tire. Wheel Works personal would not return my calls about buying and installing a rear tire on my bike, So Apex gets my nod.

Clovis
Sat Mar 16th, 2013, 11:36 AM
Trust me, pilot road 2s have no problem carving up the canyons!!

Rocfrog
Mon Mar 18th, 2013, 08:44 AM
Thanks once again for all the great feedback! I didn't get a chance to get down there this weekend but I did leave a note on their FaceBook page and they said they don't have that exact tire in stock but to come down with the bike and they would discuss some options with me. So hopefully I can get down there some time this week.

Nick

Bashed
Mon Mar 18th, 2013, 09:05 AM
Thanks once again for all the great feedback! I didn't get a chance to get down there this weekend but I did leave a note on their FaceBook page and they said they don't have that exact tire in stock but to come down with the bike and they would discuss some options with me. So hopefully I can get down there some time this week.

Nick

Gary is THE tire guy @ Apex. He knows his tires.
If they dont work out call Treacy @ Jackel Motorsports.

Rocfrog
Tue Mar 19th, 2013, 10:36 AM
Thanks for the contact! I will see if i can talk to Gary.

Nick