PDA

View Full Version : New Rider Coaching (session 2) 4-7-13

asp_125
Fri Mar 29th, 2013, 10:28 AM
Continuing on with this program. Looks like weather will be ok on the 10 day forecast. (rain date 4-14)

Some of you have read "The Pace" (http://www.cosportbikeclub.org/local/ThePace.html). How many of you have actually practiced it?

I'm willing to take 4-5 new-to-canyons riders for some drills. We'll have a short classroom session over morning coffee, then run through some exercises in the local canyons, using the concepts of "the Pace" to finish out the morning.

If I can have another senior rider to volunteer for second instructor or sweep, I could open up for two or three more spots. To be fair, preference will be first timers and those who missed the last one, not someone who's done it already (but I will try my best to fit you in).

I've been riding for 10yrs with many thousands of miles all over the state and elsewhere. I've had track time with Vanmar, Chicane, Go4It, as well as been an instructor in cars for Go4It. I won't admit to knowing everything but certainly enough to make you a better rider.

Reply to this thread and I'll PM the details when I get to 4 noobs.

Volunteers please let me know?

darkwing duc
Fri Mar 29th, 2013, 10:49 AM
I'm in if that's ok. Haven't done much canyon riding since I moved to Denver.

Sully
Fri Mar 29th, 2013, 11:18 AM
Good on you, Jeff! :up:

Cornfed
Fri Mar 29th, 2013, 01:01 PM
Volunteers please let me know?

If you get close and still need a volunteer Ill be there. Just to help, this is your class this time.

UHATEIT
Fri Mar 29th, 2013, 03:46 PM
I would love to attend this if my parents weren't in town that weekend helping fix up the house. I hope your turnout goes great and I'd attend any other time you do one! The one with Cornfed above was great for me to learn some of the basic things I am forgetting as a rider

HOTCARCASS
Sat Mar 30th, 2013, 07:38 AM
This is the best thing ever for newer riders. Be smart and take these guys up.

kingtut
Sat Mar 30th, 2013, 12:37 PM
I'm willing to take 4-5 new-to-canyons riders for some drills. We'll have a short classroom session over morning coffee, then run through some exercises in the local canyons, using the concepts of "the Pace" to finish out the morning.

Sounds fun. I'm not sure what my schedule holds just yet, but I'll be keeping an eye on this thread.

rifleshooter
Sun Mar 31st, 2013, 08:52 AM
In.

moep
Sun Mar 31st, 2013, 01:33 PM
In case it happens on the rain date, I will be in on the 14th. I have plans on the 7th.

Moe

ChangBang
Sun Mar 31st, 2013, 01:40 PM
If this isn't filled up with newbies, I'd be interested. I've been to the canyons a couple of times.

Bueller
Sun Mar 31st, 2013, 03:17 PM
If this isn't filled up with newbies, I'd be interested. I've been to the canyons a couple of times.

That's just enough time to start to memorize bad habits. I would suggest that this would be ideal for your circumstances, especially if you haven't received any substantial instruction.

BC14
Sun Mar 31st, 2013, 05:10 PM
That's just enough time to start to memorize bad habits. I would suggest that this would be ideal for your circumstances, especially if you haven't received any substantial instruction.
:imwithstupid:

asp_125
Sun Mar 31st, 2013, 06:02 PM
Now that the roads are starting to get cleared of sand, you can actually get some useful instruction without having to ride in the tire tracks. I'll be PM'ing those interested so far.

UHATEIT
Sun Mar 31st, 2013, 06:10 PM
In case it happens on the rain date, I will be in on the 14th. I have plans on the 7th.

Moe

If someone is doing one on the 14th I'm free. Parents in town weekend of the 7th or I would be all over this! My noob pace is so slow I am affraid to ride with any csc knowing I will for sure hold them up.

Nolan
Sun Mar 31st, 2013, 07:27 PM
I'm probably full of bad habits. If there's room I'm in......

HOTCARCASS
Mon Apr 1st, 2013, 10:39 PM
Looks like u got the four awesome!

asp_125
Tue Apr 2nd, 2013, 11:03 AM
:up:
.. and I won't need the rain date.

To anyone still on the fence, because of the need to arrange for any extra senior riders and materials I'm going declare the class "full" on Thursday. Don't wait till the last minute.

teamextreme
Tue Apr 2nd, 2013, 05:42 PM
I'm hoping I'll be in town for one of these...maybe session 3?

MisterDeadman
Fri Apr 5th, 2013, 10:12 PM
I'm out for sunday. Aold my 250 and looking to pick up a used 600 or Ninja 300 tomorrow - should have insurance next week and I'm in thereafter.

rifleshooter
Sat Apr 6th, 2013, 12:15 AM
ASP, did you have a meet location and time picked out yet?

asp_125
Sat Apr 6th, 2013, 09:51 AM
In case anyone didn't get their email package, PM me for particulars. See you guys tomorrow. Make sure you and your bikes are in ready to ride condition.

usmcab35
Sat Apr 6th, 2013, 03:26 PM
this is a great idea for someone to actually learn some good habits, good on ya asp!

asp_125
Sun Apr 7th, 2013, 03:20 PM
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8266/8628397805_9ea10d2278_z.jpg
Changbang: "So I was, like, hitting him with a karate chop."
Asp: "Bitch, please!"

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8521/8629504622_b9f0ab3ca2_z.jpg
"These black round things here? They're tires.. , or Tahrs as they say in the south, and air goes in them tahrs."

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8111/8629504916_33f3eab9fb_c.jpg

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8397/8628398829_c46375949f_c.jpg

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8382/8629505698_ab9513e0c7_z.jpg

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8105/8628399571_13ace76f50_z.jpg
Asp: "Opa gangnam style!"
Changbang: "Uggh.. I should have slept in"

madvlad
Sun Apr 7th, 2013, 03:27 PM
Lol nice captions

UHATEIT
Sun Apr 7th, 2013, 05:33 PM
Awesome! I hope the pace was nice n slow. I hope to make the next one, just had too much going on this morning.

Nolan
Sun Apr 7th, 2013, 05:55 PM
Was a good day. Thanks for your time!

darkwing duc
Sun Apr 7th, 2013, 06:43 PM
Great pics and great instruction. I'm glad Jeff pointed out where to put the air in the tires!

Cornfed
Sun Apr 7th, 2013, 06:45 PM
Good on you ASP. Looks like you had a good group.

asp_125
Sun Apr 7th, 2013, 06:52 PM
It was a good group.

For my students. Don't forget to set up the bike correctly for you. Here is a link to what setting sag is about. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HAWLaLf1Awc

ChangBang
Sun Apr 7th, 2013, 07:48 PM
Thanks for setting this up Jeff! Had a fun time.

asp_125
Mon Apr 8th, 2013, 12:24 PM
Glad you all had a good time and more importantly, learned some new skills. :up: To your credit you were all improving and able to self-analyze your technique and what needed work. Good job!

Now that I have had time to review and decompress the session. I would like any constructive criticism or suggestions to improve the experience, not only for my own teaching skill but also for other instructors to read and learn.

I've already been told by my sweep that I need to watch my speed in the lead/follow sessions. As the later runs got progressively faster, and it appeared that some riders at the back may have been missing their reference points trying to keep pace.

Part of the exercise was to bring the speed up as you got comfortable with the line, in hopes you would notice the effects of not hitting your marks, but not so fast that anyone would be riding beyond their comfort zone. I hope that wasn't the case, if it was I am sorry. It does show me the value of having an extra set of eyes at the back of the group though.

So lay it on me, what was good and what might you have wanted to see differently, including other topics? (Given the amount of time we had) Maybe less of this and more of the other?

Nolan
Mon Apr 8th, 2013, 12:47 PM
Well for my $.02. I think the session was very worthwhile. It gave me some things to work on that made sense when in the canyons. Choosing a later entry and being relaxed namely. From my view (a slower rider) having a 2 to 1 (student to instructor) ratio in these types of situations would hopefully allow for immediate feedback from a seasoned rider while allowing the noob (me) having someone to chase. That could set up a fast group and a slow group after an initial assessment. Really it just depends on where people fall into ability. I think what you guys are doing is an awesome commitment to make our sport safer. In a perfect world we could all take a day on the track one on one with an instructor. This is the next best thing....

Cornfed
Mon Apr 8th, 2013, 12:47 PM
Glad you all had a good time and more importantly, learned some new skills. :up:

Now that I have had time to review and decompress the session. I would like any constructive criticism or suggestions to improve the experience, not only for my own teaching skill but also for other instructors to read and learn.

I've already been told by my sweep that I need to watch my speed in the lead/follow sessions. As the later runs got progressively faster, and it appeared that some riders at the back may have been missing their reference points trying to keep pace.

Part of the exercise was to bring the speed up as you got comfortable with the line, in hopes you would notice the effects of not hitting your marks, but not so fast that anyone would be riding beyond their comfort zone. I hope that wasn't the case, if it was I am sorry. It does show me the value of having an extra set of eyes at the back of the group though.

So lay it on me, what was good and what might you have wanted to see differently, including other topics? (Given the amount of time we had) Maybe less of this and more of the other?

Funny how even with just a handful of riders at noob level there quickly becomes very different levels of technique and rider comfort. I experienced the same thing, and I didnt have a sweep. Im thinking that even with as small of a group as we are working with we need a fast group and a slow group, i.e. two instructors, or an instructor and an assistant instructor, a sweep who can lead, whatever you wanna call it. Even if there is only one rider in the slow group, that is the rider that probably needs the most one on one coaching.

Notice how I used rider instead of guy(s). Ladies you are invited too. :hibye:

Nolan
Mon Apr 8th, 2013, 12:49 PM
^^^^^ what he said to.

asp_125
Mon Apr 8th, 2013, 01:19 PM
Good suggestion! Perhaps the sweep should have the ability to quickly step in and be second instructor as the situation dictates. :up:

Nolan
Mon Apr 8th, 2013, 02:05 PM
Just a couple more random thoughts....
1.Get a copy of the riders driver license so you know that they are legal. Can always give it back afterward. Kind of goes along with the waiver form.
2. Emergency contact info.
3. Points on what the rider is doing well (confidence booster) and what they aren't and steps to improve on a handwritten sheet or whatever.

That's about it from my end.... Hope to catch another one soon.

madvlad
Mon Apr 8th, 2013, 02:25 PM
Also in case of emergency drug allergies, medical conditions etc...

asp_125
Mon Apr 8th, 2013, 02:28 PM
1. Add to waiver form
2. Add to waiver form
3. PM incoming