PDA

View Full Version : Ladies and Gentlement - I give you a direct attack on Amend 64

Vance
Mon Apr 1st, 2013, 11:14 AM
http://www.leg.state.co.us/clics/clics2013a/csl.nsf/fsbillcont3/79D915E94E9CD28F87257AEE0054A84C?open&file=013_rer.pdf

Tell me this is not being introduced in an effort to give the Secret Service, DEA, etc authority to basically bypass Amendment 64 and enforce federal law.

Because that is certainly what it looks like to me.

dirkterrell
Mon Apr 1st, 2013, 11:28 AM
http://www.leg.state.co.us/clics/clics2013a/csl.nsf/fsbillcont3/79D915E94E9CD28F87257AEE0054A84C?open&file=013_rer.pdf

Tell me this is not being introduced in an effort to give the Secret Service, DEA, etc authority to basically bypass Amendment 64 and enforce federal law.

Because that is certainly what it looks like to me.

Maybe I missed something but it seems to be making it possible for them to make arrests for "nonfederal" felonies or misdemeanors. They can enforce Federal law as they see fit already. It does make me wonder what the motivation for this is. And it also seems to be very specific to "Secret Service" agents, not other agencies.

tecknojoe
Mon Apr 1st, 2013, 11:37 AM
That's great news. Down with 64 :)

It's not really going to do anything. You think they're gonna kick down your door and storm in to bust you with the minimal amount of pot that 64 allows you to have?

madvlad
Mon Apr 1st, 2013, 11:52 AM
Fuck Amendment 64

Bueller
Mon Apr 1st, 2013, 12:18 PM
Fuck Alcohol and tobacco! Way more dangerous.

Grim2.0
Mon Apr 1st, 2013, 12:29 PM
I was gonna care about this attack but then I got high.

madvlad
Fuck Alcohol and tobacco! Way more dangerous.

Sure fuck those too but hey let's fuck the life of people for the sake of making money.... genius.

jbnwc
From Sheriff Justin Smith regarding this:

Several citizens have contacted me expressing concerns about an article they read reporting Colorado granting state law enforcement authority to the Secret Service.

I am aware of this and the stories that you've likely read put this in a light that isn't truly accurate. Let me give you some background.

Several years back, local law enforcement recognized that the way our peace officer statutes were written, federal law enforcement officers working in our state had no authority or legal protections to intervene when they witnessed a citizen being victimized right in front of them. Their statutory authority only allowed them to intervene if a federal law was being violated. Very few daily crimes are federal violations. (Envision an Aurora Theater Shooting incident where an armed federal officer had no statutory authority to intervene as a peace officer).

Our state Police Officers Standards and Training (POST) Board, made up of Colorado Chiefs and Sheriffs, agreed to consider requests by individual federal law enforcement agencies to grant limited powers to their officers, in the interest of immediate protection of Colorado citizens.

The changes essentially allow those officers to intervene when they witness a crime in progress and require they turn the case over the to the local authority. They also are granted the authority to assist a local officer in need. Lastly, the statute specifically prohibits the covered federal agencies from initiating any independent investigations of state law.

If you would like to read the specific wording of the current statute, it is CRS 16-2.5-147. This year's amendment simply adds agents of the Secret Service to the list of officers that we recognize under Colorado statute.

madvlad
I was gonna care about this attack but then I got high.

A-E-I-U-O.... and sometimes W :lol:

jcj81
Mon Apr 1st, 2013, 12:34 PM
And enforce new gun laws........

bulldog
Mon Apr 1st, 2013, 12:36 PM
From Sheriff Justin Smith regarding this:

Several citizens have contacted me expressing concerns about an article they read reporting Colorado granting state law enforcement authority to the Secret Service.

I am aware of this and the stories that you've likely read put this in a light that isn't truly accurate. Let me give you some background.

Several years back, local law enforcement recognized that the way our peace officer statutes were written, federal law enforcement officers working in our state had no authority or legal protections to intervene when they witnessed a citizen being victimized right in front of them. Their statutory authority only allowed them to intervene if a federal law was being violated. Very few daily crimes are federal violations. (Envision an Aurora Theater Shooting incident where an armed federal officer had no statutory authority to intervene as a peace officer).

Our state Police Officers Standards and Training (POST) Board, made up of Colorado Chiefs and Sheriffs, agreed to consider requests by individual federal law enforcement agencies to grant limited powers to their officers, in the interest of immediate protection of Colorado citizens.

The changes essentially allow those officers to intervene when they witness a crime in progress and require they turn the case over the to the local authority. They also are granted the authority to assist a local officer in need. Lastly, the statute specifically prohibits the covered federal agencies from initiating any independent investigations of state law.

If you would like to read the specific wording of the current statute, it is CRS 16-2.5-147. This year's amendment simply adds agents of the Secret Service to the list of officers that we recognize under Colorado statute.

Good post, thanks :up:

Sure fuck those too but hey let's fuck the life of people for the sake of making money.... genius. People make choices to f*ck up their own life....nothing causes this other than people's decisions. :slap:

Blame people. not weed...... :D

madvlad
Mon Apr 1st, 2013, 12:40 PM
Doesn't matter, but like I said hey fuck it, let's make money and fuck people as long as our pockets are full :dunno:

bulldog
Mon Apr 1st, 2013, 12:42 PM
Doesn't matter, but like I said hey fuck it, let's make money and fuck people as long as our pockets are full :dunno: May as well...better than drug dealers and drug cartels getting the money :up:

And again, people fuck up themselves...ain't nobody forcing people to smoke it!

madvlad
Mon Apr 1st, 2013, 12:51 PM
I didn't mean it in a cartel deal or nothing but good joke lol... and yea will agree there too but that just goes to show you how much people care you know?

TFOGGuys
Mon Apr 1st, 2013, 01:34 PM
It also allows federal officers to place you on a 72 hour "mental health" hold, if f'rinstance you happen to be protesting too near an elected official, but not close enough for them to charge you under whatever federal bullshit got passed last year...

bulldog
Mon Apr 1st, 2013, 01:48 PM
I didn't mean it in a cartel deal or nothing but good joke lol... and yea will agree there too but that just goes to show you how much people care you know? Well homey we will have to agree to disagree here because I feel Amendment 64 is going to HELP more than it hurts! here are the reasons:

What Amendment 64 Will Do

* The initiative will allow law enforcement to focus on violent and otherwise harmful crimes, as opposed to adults 21 and older who are simply possessing small amounts of marijuana. About 10,000 Coloradans are arrested for marijuana-related offenses every year, about 94 percent of which are for possession – and virtually every one of them takes up the time and resources of police, prosecutors, judges, and court staff.

* Regulating marijuana like alcohol will take marijuana sales out of the hands of cartels and criminals, and redirect that money toward legitimate, taxpaying Colorado businesses. It will also reduce youth access to marijuana by requiring that consumers are asked for proof of age prior to purchasing the product.

* Passage of Amendment 64 will bolster Colorado’s economy with significant new tax revenue and job creation – the Colorado Center on Law and Policy found that passage of Amendment 64 could produce more than $120 million annually in new revenue and savings within the first five years.

* Stop the arrest and prosecution of adults who are simply choosing to use a substance that is objectively less harmful than alcohol to the consumer and to the broader community.

* The general assembly will be required to enact an excise tax of up to 15 percent on the wholesale sale of non-medical marijuana applied at the point of transfer from the cultivation facility to a retail store or product manufacturer. The first $40 million of revenue raised annually will be directed to the Public School Capital Construction Assistance Fund (http://www.cde.state.co.us/cdefinance/CapConstMain.htm).

I really see more benefits than harm as I feel people who want to smoke it are going to whether it is legal or not! ANY additional money to schools/education is a huge benefit to me!!!!!

Zach929rr
Mon Apr 1st, 2013, 02:08 PM
How many people does it take to sensationalize propose legislation these days?

one big fucking circle jerk around here I swear

bulldog
Mon Apr 1st, 2013, 02:28 PM
How many people does it take to sensationalize propose legislation these days?

one big fucking circle jerk around here I swear :lol: I just take it as a friendly debate.....Damir on the other hand is probably annoyed by me on the issue :D

What can I say...anything to make my boring job go by faster...our servers take forever so I got a lot of downtime as files load :dunno:

Plus I've always been told I like to argue :lol: But I really did want to hear the reasoning people are against it... valid reasons!

madvlad
Mon Apr 1st, 2013, 02:39 PM
I'm not annoyed, you're probably the only one that respects others points of view while holding your own... Almost everyone else here has bashed me for being a puritan bastard cause I don't agree with them, do I care? no... :D

bulldog
Mon Apr 1st, 2013, 02:44 PM
I'm not annoyed, you're probably the only one that respects others points of view while holding your own... Almost everyone else here has bashed me for being a puritan bastard cause I don't agree with them, do I care? no... :D Cool :)

Yeah I am never cemented into my opinion and always willing to listen to others people's point of view to learn....nobody is right 100% of the time! It's the people that wont change their opinion no matter what that annoy me; they come into a debate/argument already with their minds made up and totally disregard what the other person says without giving it a chance.

Like on this stance I am not saying weed is good/healthy; all drugs are going to have a negative effect, but I am happy that CO schools get the money because I don't think weed will ever go away and may as well get some good from it.

#1Townie
Mon Apr 1st, 2013, 03:07 PM
I say legalize everything. This country could use some thinning of of the herd.

Zach929rr
Mon Apr 1st, 2013, 03:10 PM
I say legalize everything. This country could use some thinning of of the herd.

The ignorant populace can't make decisions for themselves.

CYCLE_MONKEY
Mon Apr 1st, 2013, 03:39 PM
Hmmm, I don't see it as an attack on 64 at all. The feds ALREADY can arrest and charge people for federal contraband crimes anyways, so this is not a broadening of their powers in any respect as I see it. What I read this as, is allowing feds to enforce LOCAL law if they choose to. And that, actually, I don't have an issue with. If CO has legalized weed, the Feds still could not enforce a local law against weed that no longer exists, but they could under their Federal law.

#1Townie
Tue Apr 2nd, 2013, 11:24 AM
The ignorant populace can't make decisions for themselves.

They do all the time. And for us too! Havent you seen ANYTHING our government has done in the last 20five years? Makes me wonder if all they do is sit around and think up their dumbest idea and throw it us just to see who will support it. Lol

dirkterrell
Fri Apr 5th, 2013, 09:00 PM
It does make me wonder what the motivation for this is.

Now it's becoming more clear. Cornfed posted this link in another thread:

http://mobile.wnd.com/2013/03/state-grants-secret-service-vast-new-powers/#J4E3crep1COIDBCL.99

rforsythe
Sat Apr 6th, 2013, 07:45 AM
Now it's becoming more clear. Cornfed posted this link in another thread:

http://mobile.wnd.com/2013/03/state-grants-secret-service-vast-new-powers/#J4E3crep1COIDBCL.99

That's interesting for sure, especially the conflicting reasons for pushing it through; that part concerns me. That said, go read CRS 16-2.5-147 (it's in the current POST manual), then actually read this proposed legislation. It is pretty much the same thing, it just defines a separate section for Secret Service instead of merely adding them to 147. It also says they have to immediately surrender a detainee to local LEO (just like any other fed defined in 147) so I don't understand how it grants a 72 hour hold authority to ANY federal agent, and this bit was important enough that I didn't want to paraphrase:

14 (5) NOTHING IN THIS SECTION SHALL BE CONSTRUED TO EXPAND
15 THE AUTHORITY OF FEDERAL LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICERS TO INITIATE OR
16 CONDUCT AN INDEPENDENT INVESTIGATION INTO VIOLATIONS OF
17 COLORADO LAW

#1Townie
Sat Apr 6th, 2013, 08:59 PM
Wow shit is going to get real.