PDA

View Full Version : Recommended Gopro accessories

ChangBang
Tue Apr 2nd, 2013, 11:44 AM
Employee deal just kicked in so I'm going to buy a gopro black edition and wanted to know what kind of accessories you all recommend? Lets say top 4 accessories?

I was thinking the lcdtouch backpack, extra battery, their grab bag of mounts, and maybe the battery backpack?

Pretty much just going to use it for riding.

Thanks!

asp_125
Tue Apr 2nd, 2013, 11:55 AM
Black edition come with remote Wi-fi? Extra mounts and batteries are handy. LCD back sucks power from the main battery

ChangBang
Tue Apr 2nd, 2013, 12:19 PM
Yea wi-fi remote comes with it. I'd imagine I'll just use the LCD to position the gopro correctly then either take it off or turn it off. May not be worth the $80 price tag?

madvlad
Tue Apr 2nd, 2013, 12:22 PM
Get the baby helmet and start tossing the kid up like in the add :lol:

spideyrdr
Tue Apr 2nd, 2013, 04:45 PM
DEFINITELY spare batteries. I was so glad once I got 2 spares and a charger.

http://www.amazon.com/Wasabi-Power-Battery-AHDBT-201-AHDBT-301/dp/B00AAIPT76/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1364942592&sr=8-1&keywords=go+pro+battery

I have the HD Hero so had to buy a different package, but I am happy with my Wasabi batteries and charger.

Throw in some spare mounts and an extra 16GB or 32GB memory card in case the card you have fills up or takes a dump, and you're golden.

Cheers,
Jamie

UHATEIT
Thu Apr 4th, 2013, 12:40 PM
I have a 32GB card, and I dont even record at full HD I do the 720p setting and that thing fills up quickly, so with the cheapy costs of SD cards get the largest yours will accept, I did 32GB and I think I got that for $16 or so.

For moto the BEST mount I love is the suction cup. You'll be spending $30 for it at BB but it can be mounted anywhere and then take it off and set it somewhere else with ease. I like the different angles you can get out of it.

installed pic below to show my most preferred angle and looks great! This angle shows the SV650 in the upper corner which I like so youknow what bike it is for youtube purposes, also shows the suspension travel which is good if you want that and with the skeleton back on it the exhaust note is great.
https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/599830_457597120932339_1820656224_n.jpg

Video at that angle to show what it looks like:
http://youtu.be/4v-scNQ0F7k

I have actually never used any of the stick on mounts at all so I cannot say whether you should buy or not, the suction works great. Plus I can move that around and I would have to leave the sticky ones on and might not like the angle.

Best thing as well would be a second battery at the least, since these things only last 2.5 hours tops on a full charge so if you are recording a full trip it'll run out but if you are just doing a run then shut it off and its 20 minutes or so then you should be alright.

Good luck dude with your purchase!

ChangBang
Thu Apr 4th, 2013, 01:17 PM
Cool thanks for everyone's help. I think the suction cup would be good to have assuming it sticks well. Wasabi charger and batteries look good, probably a better deal then buying the gopro batteries.

Uhateit - Thanks for the vid, how did the suction cup mount looks after the lowside? little scratched or did you have to buy a new one? I'm assuming it came off the bike? Or did only the gopro fall off?

I was originally thinking about getting multiple memory cards, so when I change out the battery I'll change out the card too. Would a 32gb memory card be full before the battery is dead on the highest quality settting?

asp_125
Thu Apr 4th, 2013, 01:23 PM
Here's the thing with 32gb SD cards. If you are recording an all day ride, lots of it is pretty boring except for scenery and twisties. And if your card goes out, you've lost an entire day of video. FWIW, I carry several 8-16gb cards and swap them out a couple of times a day, so if one does go bad I have a better chance at rescuing at least some portions of the ride.

UHATEIT
Thu Apr 4th, 2013, 03:35 PM
Cool thanks for everyone's help. I think the suction cup would be good to have assuming it sticks well. Wasabi charger and batteries look good, probably a better deal then buying the gopro batteries.

Uhateit - Thanks for the vid, how did the suction cup mount looks after the lowside? little scratched or did you have to buy a new one? I'm assuming it came off the bike? Or did only the gopro fall off?

I was originally thinking about getting multiple memory cards, so when I change out the battery I'll change out the card too. Would a 32gb memory card be full before the battery is dead on the highest quality settting?

The gopro stayed intact with the arm and basically no scrapes at all! The arm didnt break and there were no scrapes on the fisheye part either.

The suction works great so I would easily recommend that as the most versatile mount!

nicklk
Fri Apr 5th, 2013, 12:08 AM
+1 for suction cup mount.

You wont be able to have the battery packpack and the lcd backpack on at the same time, fyi

biikChiQ
Fri Apr 5th, 2013, 12:28 AM
Here's the thing with 32gb SD cards. If you are recording an all day ride, lots of it is pretty boring except for scenery and twisties. And if your card goes out, you've lost an entire day of video. FWIW, I carry several 8-16gb cards and swap them out a couple of times a day, so if one does go bad I have a better chance at rescuing at least some portions of the ride.

+1

I would also get a tether, u never know..

Clovis
Fri Apr 5th, 2013, 01:09 AM
I recommend getting an ram mount if you want to mount onto the bike. In my experience the best mounting location is on your helmet, left side.

sloridr
Fri Apr 5th, 2013, 07:36 AM
So the battery in a hero 3 will record for 2.5 hours. Which is about how long the battery in the remote lasts. A 32gb card hold 9.6 hrs of footage at 720. I agree with Jeffe comment about using various cards through out the day.

As for accessories, a suction cup mount, spare battery, leash, grab bag of mounts.

If you use the suction cup mount you better put a leash on it! Many of gopro have been lost this way.

UHATEIT
Fri Apr 5th, 2013, 08:34 AM
So the battery in a hero 3 will record for 2.5 hours. Which is about how long the battery in the remote lasts. A 32gb card hold 9.6 hrs of footage at 720. I agree with Jeffe comment about using various cards through out the day.

As for accessories, a suction cup mount, spare battery, leash, grab bag of mounts.

If you use the suction cup mount you better put a leash on it! Many of gopro have been lost this way.

I have never had an issue (yet) but that is a good idea, I should leash mine up as you never know when it goes over a bump if it'll fall. Didn't Grim lose his last weekend but somehow found it?

ChangBang
Fri Apr 5th, 2013, 10:03 AM

Is it pretty common for the memory card to go out? I'll probably go with the smaller sized memory card like you mentioned and just get a couple of them.

I think I decided against the lcd screen - I didnt know I could use their app to position the gopro.

And if I get multiple memory cards, I probably wont have to worry about the battery bacpack either. I'll just buy 2 or 3 extra batteries/get that wasabi thing mentioned earlier.

When mounting it on your helmet, do you use that tape or does it clamp on?

Leash seems like a really good idea.

So right now looks like - suction cup mount, grab bag of mounts(includes a tether), extra batteries, and multiple memory cards.

asp_125
Fri Apr 5th, 2013, 11:16 AM
Rare but does happen. In 5 years of shooting I've have two cards fail. One I was able to reformat and reuse. 2x16gb or 4x8gb will last you a long time.

Epitek
Sun Apr 7th, 2013, 08:27 AM

I sadly made that mistake with my hero3 not too long ago. Hardly got to use it either. :argue:

http://i.imgur.com/CJqZRA8.jpg

TransNone13
Sun Apr 7th, 2013, 10:37 AM
I went crazy and bought about everything. I would recommend the battery pac, and the handle bar mount w/ go pro remote accessory to mount the remote to your clip on. I also recommend wiring in a DC plug into your bike and running a cable to the battery pack so you don't have to worry about battery life :D.