PDA

View Full Version : Side Molding repair

Sean
Wed Apr 3rd, 2013, 10:17 AM
This is probably an easy question for most of you, but I don't have a clue. We have an 09 WRX with side body molding and it's starting to separate from the door a little. Not falling off yet, but I'd like to fix it before it gets worse. Is there a special adhesive or technique you guys use to repair this?

Disclaimer- I've checked some websites and watched some videos, but thought I would get the opinion of people I know. Especially since there are some people on here who are really good with cars.

asp_125
Wed Apr 3rd, 2013, 10:29 AM
I ordered some factory door molding for our Frontier, and it came with double sided sitcky tape, the kind that is like thin foam. You can probably find it at most auto parts stores. I'd stay away from epoxies and adhesives as they have chemicals and may ruin the clear coat.

Sean
Wed Apr 3rd, 2013, 10:37 AM
I ordered some factory door molding for our Frontier, and it came with double sided sitcky tape, the kind that is like thin foam. You can probably find it at most auto parts stores. I'd stay away from epoxies and adhesives as they have chemicals and may ruin the clear coat.
That's what I'm guessing thus far in my research. I wasn't sure if there was a certain brand or type. I'd like to avoid having this happen again.

So far, this video seems apt enough.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Ka7NoA0a98

asp_125
Wed Apr 3rd, 2013, 10:44 AM
FWIW The backing of the tape was labeled 3M, but I'm sure they make several kinds for automotive use.

:up: the video pretty much walks you through it.