PDA

View Full Version : Insurance Cards on Smart Phones?

thatmofo
Fri Apr 5th, 2013, 12:42 AM
If you take a picture of the front and back of your proof of insurance card, can you show that to a police officer when you are pulled over?

Jmetz
Fri Apr 5th, 2013, 12:54 AM
There's an app for that. IME they take the information back to the car. I dunno about you, but I'm not terribly inclined to give an officer my phone to take back to their car and thumb through.

Aaron
Fri Apr 5th, 2013, 01:15 AM
Now every Officer is different, but personally I would accept that so long as it looks unaltered, ID's the vehicle by year/make/model/VIN, and is valid of course. I don't take Insurance back to my car on a traffic stop though, as all I'm looking for is to see if it's valid. But I'm also fairly progressive, I don't ask for Registration because I just pull it up in the car. It's quicker and easier.

Now if it's on a traffic accident, you'd need to give me your phone as I have to copy a bunch of info from the card.

I carry hard copies of insurance/registration with me. I put both in a ziplock Baggie, which I then Velcro to the underside of the rear seat/cover. When I'm stopped I just pull out the Baggie and hand it to the Officer, and I have the cards in there so the Baggie doesn't need to be opened.

thatmofo
Fri Apr 5th, 2013, 01:33 AM
I thought about the fact that I wouldn't want to give my phone to him to take back to the car. I guess I will just carry the card on me.

Aaron
Fri Apr 5th, 2013, 03:31 AM
And that's a decision that you have the right to make, but having been on the flip side, I've never done anything on somebody's phone beyond what I needed to. Mostly because I doubt anyone with anything I'd care about on their phone would willingly give it to me, so why waste my time looking? That, and I've got a job to do and get done, I don't really have time to read your text messages with your mistress.

madvlad
Fri Apr 5th, 2013, 07:40 AM
And that's a decision that you have the right to make, but having been on the flip side, I've never done anything on somebody's phone beyond what I needed to. Mostly because I doubt anyone with anything I'd care about on their phone would willingly give it to me, so why waste my time looking? That, and I've got a job to do and get done, I don't really have time to read your text messages with your mistress.
'
People be nosey lol

I`m Batman
Fri Apr 5th, 2013, 09:12 AM
I gave my paper to an officer once and it has just expired, I was going to pull it up on the phone through the insurance's website. She said that she only accept paper. But she let me go. :)

Aaron
Thu Apr 11th, 2013, 04:46 PM
Apparently I was mistaken, an electronic copy of your Insurance IS valid in Colorado, but the Officer can bring it back to their car to view it.

The applicant for a motor vehicle registration shall provide the Department with the proof of insurance certificate or insurance identification card provided to the applicant by the applicant's insurer pursuant to section 10-4-604.5, C.R.S., or shall provide proof of insurance in such other media as listed below:

Electronic proof of insurance that is not otherwise available to the Department. This may be, but is not limited to, insurer provided electronic image/proof on applicant's cellular phone, lap top, or other portable type of electronic device.

Ghosty
Thu Apr 11th, 2013, 04:49 PM
I just carry my three cards in my wallet. And one in each vehicle as well.

DeeStylez
Thu Apr 11th, 2013, 05:14 PM
I just carry my three cards in my wallet. And one in each vehicle as well.

Same here. I must be old fashioned.

Dietrich_R1
Fri Apr 12th, 2013, 07:56 PM
A co-founder got pulled over for speeding. He was asked for all the "jazz". The officer noticed all the plastic baggies (it was raining).. he laughed & said that will take a while as everything is in a plastic baggie. He then proceeded to start pulling out everything, which was in a "baggie"!!!!!

The officer let him go cuz of this.