PDA

View Full Version : adjusting the chain without a stand

Nobody
Fri Apr 5th, 2013, 10:57 AM
I need to adjust the chain on my '06 F4i, but I am currently without a rear stand. Should I do it, or would it be better to cough up some coin and have someone do it for me that has one? Am I inheriting any major risk doing it with the wheel on the ground?

Ezzzzy1
Fri Apr 5th, 2013, 11:02 AM
Post up where you are and someone will have a stand you can borrow.

I always check for visual alignment after I adjust my chains. You can only do that on a stand.

Nobody
Fri Apr 5th, 2013, 11:09 AM
I'm in Aurora, but would have no problem taking a ride out to wherever if someone could give me a hand with it. Great point on the visual alignment, TY as always for the tip!

One-ops
Fri Apr 5th, 2013, 11:21 AM
I can help if you still need next weekend. I'm working sat and busy sunday but free so far next.

Nobody
Fri Apr 5th, 2013, 11:24 AM
I can help if you still need next weekend. I'm working sat and busy sunday but free so far next.

OK will do.

Fumet5uNo
Fri Apr 5th, 2013, 11:26 AM
Tilt on kickstand an block under swing arm

OATSF14JERRY
Fri Apr 5th, 2013, 11:38 AM
I need to adjust the chain on my '06 F4i, but I am currently without a rear stand.

http://www.aerostich.com/quick-stand.html

Get one. You will love it.

Nobody
Fri Apr 5th, 2013, 11:51 AM
http://www.aerostich.com/quick-stand.html

Get one. You will love it.

Hell yeah, I'm liking that option. Anywhere local I can pick one up?

Airreed
Fri Apr 5th, 2013, 12:27 PM
What part of A-town? I'm available today if you want to put your bike up on a stand to adjust your chain...I'm off Reseviour and Chengango(SE Aurora 80015).

I also have a Lockhart Phillips paddle stand for sale...$20!

Jason

CYCLE_MONKEY
Fri Apr 5th, 2013, 01:09 PM
Stands make it easier, but you don't need one, just be careful with your measurements.

OATSF14JERRY
Fri Apr 5th, 2013, 01:15 PM
Hell yeah, I'm liking that option. Anywhere local I can pick one up?

I do not know locally. You do want one. It folds into a nice little pouch and fits under the seat tail piece. It is always with you even on cross country trips. A very nice thing to have. I do know other online retailers have them. $40 is pretty cheap. When it first came out years ago it was $65.

Nobody
Fri Apr 5th, 2013, 01:47 PM
Cool. Definitely going to grab one of those very soon.

Cycle Monkey, I hear you. I've done it on a previous bike and didn't have a problem, but I didn't think about potential consequences until afterwards and want to be sure this time lol.

Airreed, PM sent!

CYCLE_MONKEY
Fri Apr 5th, 2013, 04:05 PM
Cool. Definitely going to grab one of those very soon.

Cycle Monkey, I hear you. I've done it on a previous bike and didn't have a problem, but I didn't think about potential consequences until afterwards and want to be sure this time lol.

Airreed, PM sent!
I made sure the tire/wheel was about as straight as I could get it, and now when I adjust my chain, I don't look at the marks, I counts the flats on the adjusting nuts. I do a couple each side until I'm close, then do 1 at a time. That's the most accurate way (assuming you alingned it right the first time) because you're then using the screws as a micrometer.

Nobody
Fri Apr 5th, 2013, 05:48 PM
Tilt on kickstand an block under swing arm

That worked like a charm! First one I found in the back yard was the exact size I needed.I'm pretty pissed at the shop that threw the tires on, my shit was crazy over torqued. Had to bust out the impact wrench on that mofo.

rifleshooter
Sat Apr 6th, 2013, 12:06 AM
Don't know if you've gotten this worked out, but I am in Frederick, and have a Pit Bull that we can use.

Nobody
Sat Apr 6th, 2013, 02:56 PM
Thank you for the offer. Got it taken care of yesterday.