PDA

View Full Version : Colorado Motorcycle Skill Rating Road Map

moep
Tue Apr 9th, 2013, 10:05 PM
This might have been posted here before and if it has I apologize to the admin up front:

http://www.coloradodot.info/programs/live-to-ride/rider-resources.html

Click on "Contact CDOT". Tara will send out the map in a day or so. There is no cost for the map or shipping.

This is a great map for skill level and for planing trips.

Moe

CaptGoodvibes
Tue Apr 9th, 2013, 10:32 PM
I don't agree with all the ratings but I do keep a map handy.

Clovis
Tue Apr 9th, 2013, 10:41 PM
The map was written by a few members on these very forums! :)

FZRguy
Tue Apr 9th, 2013, 10:56 PM
Can't beat a free map!

Oddibe
Wed Apr 10th, 2013, 12:21 AM
Cool just to have handy.

Fumet5uNo
Wed Apr 10th, 2013, 06:50 AM
Blah lame map

moep
Wed Apr 10th, 2013, 04:42 PM
Blah lame map

It is better then nothing for noobs. I like and use it.

UHATEIT
Thu Apr 11th, 2013, 12:35 PM
Saving this to my desktop, great find! Then again I am a noob and have done some of those red ones and don't really find them to be that difficult. But this is a good reference tho

Nooch
Thu Apr 11th, 2013, 12:52 PM
Blah lame map

Hater. :doublefinger:

moep
Thu Apr 11th, 2013, 01:08 PM
Saving this to my desktop, great find! Then again I am a noob and have done some of those red ones and don't really find them to be that difficult. But this is a good reference tho

On my first trip out, I did the Boulder to Nederland. It is a red and I did not have any problems.

UHATEIT
Thu Apr 11th, 2013, 01:28 PM
On my first trip out, I did the Boulder to Nederland. It is a red and I did not have any problems.

I have done that trip twice and agree, its twisty and there is a steep portion on the way back down I think it is before you hit the tunnel near boulder. I dislike higher speeds going downhill as I have to work the brake and am still bad at that.

They have the ride from Pine Junction down to Deckers also in red. I find that a very fun ride due to the wide lanes and openness I can see much better than the trickier tighter turning roads like Deer Creek. But the downhill way there is the scariest for me now with my confidence issues after my lowside as you can get up some good speed heading down the slopes to get to Deckers. The ride back up to the top is much more fun than going downhill. I think that;s why the call it Horsepower Hill since you get to see what you're bike's capable of. I shouldnt post my speed but that's the ONLY time I've ever hit XXX :)

teamextreme
Thu Apr 11th, 2013, 03:11 PM
This is a strange implementation of a familiar concept. Ski runs, mountain bike or dirt bike single track trails, 4x4 trails, all use a rating system, but they have obstacles and features that the very act of traveling over would make them difficult if not impossible for someone who got in over their head. These are state highways, kind of a stretch to assign difficulty to them. Sure, it's more difficult to travel at higher speeds on the more difficult ones, but any rank beginner could drive on any of these roads with no problem, they're just going to be going slower than more experienced riders. Interesting concept nontheless.

moep
Thu Apr 11th, 2013, 04:11 PM
This is a strange implementation of a familiar concept. Ski runs, mountain bike or dirt bike single track trails, 4x4 trails, all use a rating system, but they have obstacles and features that the very act of traveling over would make them difficult if not impossible for someone who got in over their head. These are state highways, kind of a stretch to assign difficulty to them. Sure, it's more difficult to travel at higher speeds on the more difficult ones, but any rank beginner could drive on any of these roads with no problem, they're just going to be going slower than more experienced riders. Interesting concept nontheless.

I think this map is really to determine if you are going to wear the "If you can read this, the Bitch fell off" jacket or not. :)

BlueDog
Fri Apr 12th, 2013, 07:21 PM
It is an interesting idea but like others have said, none of these roads are difficult, they are just difficult to ride at a higher pace if you are newbie. If you can't comfortably go the posted speed limit on those red roads then you probably need more experience before going in the canyons.

If you are a more experienced rider though, and like fun roads at a spirited pace, the red roads on the map are a good way to see that. They should rate them from most fun to least fun and then say the most fun roads are also the most difficult for new riders lol.

asp_125
Fri Apr 12th, 2013, 08:20 PM
The red roads are the tough ones to ride on my lazy boy recliner wearing chaps and my doo-rag. ;)

Schiff32
Fri Apr 12th, 2013, 10:45 PM
Red ones are tough after bar hopping all day.

CaptGoodvibes
Sat Apr 13th, 2013, 02:36 PM
How about a rating for curviness, fun factor, road quality, number of tar snakes... stuff like that?

FZRguy
Sun Apr 14th, 2013, 10:43 PM
Got my map in the mail today, nice map. I have missed a few "fun" roads, which I will most certainly bag this year.

longrider
Mon Apr 15th, 2013, 07:38 AM
The red road that makes me laugh is Hwy 83 from Parker to Franktown. I ride that everyday in my commute and the only hazard is wearing out the center of my tires. However the bar hopping might qualify it as the Stagecoach in Franktown is a big biker bar

dirkterrell
Mon Apr 15th, 2013, 08:36 AM
For you guys that are griping about the product of a lot of work, a fair amount of it by people on this very forum, how about you produce a better one? The fact that you can ride a red road at super badass pace without falling down isn't the point. How about having a little gratitude for the fact that CDOT and some volunteers produced something of value for riders that may not have your mad skills? Instead of griping on a forum, do something constructive and produce what you think is needed.

CaptGoodvibes
Mon Apr 15th, 2013, 10:03 AM
For you guys that are griping about the product of a lot of work, a fair amount of it by people on this very forum, how about you produce a better one? The fact that you can ride a red road at super badass pace without falling down isn't the point. How about having a little gratitude for the fact that CDOT and some volunteers produced something of value for riders that may not have your mad skills? Instead of griping on a forum, do something constructive and produce what you think is needed.
I don't care how badass I am, I want to err on the side of caution and some of the greens are not green imo.

moep
Tue Apr 16th, 2013, 09:25 PM

The map is great for Noobs, visitors and to plan trips. I look at the map all the time and I am planing a great summer based on this map.

I love the map.

Nick_Ninja
Tue Apr 16th, 2013, 09:45 PM
The map is great for Noobs, visitors and to plan trips. I look at the map all the time and I am planing a great summer based on this map.

I love the map.

Thank you :up:

UHATEIT
Wed Apr 17th, 2013, 08:24 AM

I love the map.

I will agree. being a noob myself I will for sure stay away from the reds if I want a laid back ride

Samko
Thu Apr 18th, 2013, 03:41 AM
How about a rating for curviness, fun factor, road quality, number of tar snakes... stuff like that?

This might have been posted here before and if it has I apologize to the admin up front:

http://www.coloradodot.info/programs/live-to-ride/rider-resources.html

Click on "Contact CDOT". Tara will send out the map in a day or so. There is no cost for the map or shipping.

This is a great map for skill level and for planing trips.

Moe

Here is one for you CaptGoodvibes
http://howfastcanigo.com/
GO NUTZ !!!:scream2:
:w00t:

asp_125
Thu Apr 18th, 2013, 08:30 AM
You're looking at this all wrong. See, green is +10, yellow is +20, red is +30 :twisted: Knowing CSC is behind the maps, I'm sure that's how they intended it. :D